Help me upgrade my Framed Alaskan Alloy!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help me upgrade my Framed Alaskan Alloy!

I've had my bike for over 2 years now, but I have a rigid fork and tires are tubed... wanna finally upgrade it to make it lighter and ride the bike more aggressive.

I would like to upgrade my rims, they are bent and honestly the ones that came with it are somewhat cheap. I was thinking into getting 26in x 80 or 90 or 100mm tubeless. I have Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR 26x4.8 120 TPI

As for the fork, I have a standard tapered rigid fork. The wheel has a 150mm hub. Hubs are fine, so I want to keep those. I think RST fork would fit correct?

Let me know any recommendations, thanks!
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

blood in / blood out
    Stick with 80mm wide rims or maybe 70mm. As for a fork, I'd go with a RS Bluto or the carbon fork from Framed.
    If you are not 1x, I'd do that next. You can drop 1 pound off the bike taking away the shifter, housing and front der.
    As for wheels, look at the Pub brand from Framed. You can get some nice carbon wheels for a good price.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by majack View Post
    Stick with 80mm wide rims or maybe 70mm. As for a fork, I'd go with a RS Bluto or the carbon fork from Framed.
    If you are not 1x, I'd do that next. You can drop 1 pound off the bike taking away the shifter, housing and front der.
    As for wheels, look at the Pub brand from Framed. You can get some nice carbon wheels for a good price.
    I forgot to mention that yes, I already have some mods on it I'm at 1x with my RaceFace NarrowWide 32t, Guide RS brakes and disks, flat handlebar, short stem.

I'm a little weary of going with carbon rims. I was looking at Alexrims Blizzerk 90s, they look pretty good, but sure how good they are though. Any other good non-carbon rims?

mtbr member
    I take it you have the Pub Hubs?

I like my Blizzerks, but can you get the 90s? I haven't seen them for sale anywhere. You have a few tubeless options: Surly's MODB, the Mulefat rim, Blizzerk 70.

I think you can find either a used Bluto, Wren or Mastodon for better value than the Renegade.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Re-lace the stock hubs to some nice tubeless rims like Sun-Ringle Mulefuts or any of the chinese carbon rims, although that quickly becomes just buy a set of carbon wheels since the rear hub is not the best and new spokes will be required.
    It is so nice to have a bullet-proof tubeless setup that you can swap tires without wondering if it will work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I take it you have the Pub Hubs?

I like my Blizzerks, but can you get the 90s? I haven't seen them for sale anywhere. You have a few tubeless options: Surly's MODB, the Mulefat rim, Blizzerk 70.

I think you can find either a used Bluto, Wren or Mastodon for better value than the Renegade.
    I don't think I have the Pub Hub. My bike has the standard 150/190 HG wheelset, I think the 197mm ones came with the Pub Hub.

What about Surly Clown Shoes? Are those good?

Elitest thrill junkie
    What kind of riding? What location?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What kind of riding? What location?
    Singletrack NJ/PA/NY

I have a set of 29ers for it, that's another reason why I want a Bluto or RST fork. The 29ers on the rigid fork sucks lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
    I don't think I have the Pub Hub. My bike has the standard 150/190 HG wheelset, I think the 197mm ones came with the Pub Hub.

What about Surly Clown Shoes? Are those good?
    If you have the Quanta hubs you owe it to yourself to get different hubs. BHS hubs are recommended by a few on here. Novatec, Formula or the Salsa or Fatback branded hubs are better than the Quantas. If you have some funds then perhaps Hope or DT Swiss. I would expect that you can find built wheels to save some money.

The Clown Shoes are not tubeless rims, but perhaps you can set them up with some tape. I think they are also a bit spendy, but I have seen some deals for them from time to time.

mtbr member
    Perhaps you can just go with this, you might be able to find it on the Bike Smith's website as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alex-Blizze...8BA:rk:12:pf:0

If you bought the clown shoes at retail, that's 340 for 2 rims with no spokes, nipples, or hubs and you would have to build them or pay someone to do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Perhaps you can just go with this, you might be able to find it on the Bike Smith's website as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alex-Blizze...8BA:rk:12:pf:0

If you bought the clown shoes at retail, that's 340 for 2 rims with no spokes, nipples, or hubs and you would have to build them or pay someone to do it.
    I was actually looking at these. How are the hubs? Definitely like that they are 90mm, want to stretch the tires a little more so they are “less round” and get somewhat more of a contact patch

turtles make me hot
    The 90's are available on Ebay from Bikesmiths. I've recently built up 70's and 90's. Excellent rims. Light, tough and tubeless. Nothing not to like.
    I have 80mm Surly My Other Brother Darryls on my main fat bike. They're also made by Alex for Surly. The tubeless on them is excellent. ONLY drawback is cost. 150 apiece while the 70mm Blizzerks are 53 and the 90's are 90 dollars apiece.

For rocky trail riding, I would suggest either the 70 or 80mm rims. They get a little more protection from the tire. I built my original fat bike with Clownshoes and when I switched to My Other Brother Darryls, it was like a new bike. No loss in anything except weight. The bike does everything better.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    The 70s are now 72.99 instead of that awesome price of 52.99. I looked yesterday at their website, I've been frequenting their site more recently than ebay lately.

E90: I bought a set of the 80s with that front formula hub but with a Novatec 170*10mm rear. I have had no complaints about the wheels at all, all black isn't usually my thing but darned if they don't look badass. My first fat bike was a MN 2.2 with the same wheels you have now but in blue. I think Formula makes the Salsa branded hubs so I think they should be fine, POE is probably 24. They are not the top of line DT Swiss or Onyx and they don't have the bling of Hope, but my wheels have been pretty solid. If you want something more than you'll probably have to build it or get lucky to find a used set.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
    I've had my bike for over 2 years now, but I have a rigid fork and tires are tubed... wanna finally upgrade it to make it lighter and ride the bike more aggressive.

I would like to upgrade my rims, they are bent and honestly the ones that came with it are somewhat cheap. I was thinking into getting 26in x 80 or 90 or 100mm tubeless. I have Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR 26x4.8 120 TPI

As for the fork, I have a standard tapered rigid fork. The wheel has a 150mm hub. Hubs are fine, so I want to keep those. I think RST fork would fit correct?

Let me know any recommendations, thanks!
    So I have been abusing my framed Alaskan for 4 seasons now and the first upgrade that I did where the Brakes, from cable to hydraulic and to 180/203mm rotors. After that I got some flow and dunderbeists from 45Nrth and wanted to go tubeless, so I choose for the DT SWISS rims in the same hubs. My local shop replace the bearings on both hubs and re lace the hubs with same spokes on the new rims and they run marvelous. After that I have not upgrade anything else, I still use the x-7 derraileour which I disassemble twice a year for cleaning and lube. Hope it helps

mtbr member
    May 2015

I forgot the pics

Her is the most recent pic of the Alaskan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me upgrade my Framed Alaskan Alloy!-586f7219-f943-405d-b3aa-d83005561b51.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    nice looking ride!