Help me shed weight off my bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Help me shed weight off my bike

I recently acquired a maxi cooker and I am really enjoy it. The geometry feels great and I am ready to start upgrading it. I have about $200 to spare. How can I really shed some weight of it? Wheels? Stem? Seat post? Shoot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me shed weight off my bike-cooker.jpg  

Last edited by Virgch; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Start with a set of Jumbo Jims liteskins set up tubeless. https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/schwalb...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

Rocking on a Rocky
    Carbon Fork.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You should get rid of the kick-stand.

mtbr member
    I had a boat anchor bike. Two major things I did to improve weight: 1) Tubeless, I used the fattystrippers. 2) I used Kenda Juggernaut Pro tires. They are OK, but are not the grippiest. I did not have the issues with rolling resistance like some people say, but the loose over hard grip was not great.

Then I bought a new bike...

Rippin da fAt
    Break out your platinum card... As for tubeless on those rims, if the tires fall away from the sides of em when you let the air out, you are looking at a total pita setup.

1. As mentioned above, Jumbo Jim Liteskin is an easy weight loss.
    2. If tubeless is gonna be a bear, change to Surly Lite tubes.

On the more coin to throw at it front...

1. Carbon fork
    2. Lighter wheels (Capable of tubeless).

Meanwhile, ride it, have a good time and sooner than later it will make ya stronger!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    go poop before you ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTFAT View Post
    go poop before you ride
    Truth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Add some weight to it: A revelate frame bag.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    Start with a set of Jumbo Jims liteskins set up tubeless. https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/schwalb...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Can I run tubeless with the stock wheels?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicJade View Post
    You should get rid of the kick-stand.
    Thanks but I kind of like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    I had a boat anchor bike. Two major things I did to improve weight: 1) Tubeless, I used the fattystrippers. 2) I used Kenda Juggernaut Pro tires. They are OK, but are not the grippiest. I did not have the issues with rolling resistance like some people say, but the loose over hard grip was not great.

Then I bought a new bike...
    Do you think is worth it going tubeless with the stock wheels or should I try replacing the wheels with lighter ones?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Break out your platinum card... As for tubeless on those rims, if the tires fall away from the sides of em when you let the air out, you are looking at a total pita setup.

1. As mentioned above, Jumbo Jim Liteskin is an easy weight loss.
    2. If tubeless is gonna be a bear, change to Surly Lite tubes.

On the more coin to throw at it front...

1. Carbon fork
    2. Lighter wheels (Capable of tubeless).

Meanwhile, ride it, have a good time and sooner than later it will make ya stronger!
    Which wheels would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    go poop before you ride
    I always do, don't you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgch View Post
    Do you think is worth it going tubeless with the stock wheels or should I try replacing the wheels with lighter ones?
    Good wheels are expensive. I don't know your budget. I set up very cheap wheels tubeless using the fattystripper and the foam strip to retain tire position. Between the lighter tires and the loss of tubes I lost almost 4 pounds off the bike.

turtles make me hot
    The cheapest, lightest, best tubeless wheels you can build are Alex Blizzerks in either 70 or 90mm laced to Bike Hub Store hubs. This is going to blow right through your 200 dollar budget but you end up with better wheels by a long shot.

I have Surly My Other Brother Darryls on my fat bike which are made by Alex. They replaced Clownshoes which were huge and heavy. When I switched to the Darryls, it transformed the bike.

What's the drivetrain on that bike? I looked at the pic and it looks like I see a front derailleur cable. You could get a single ring from Wolftooth. If you lose the shifter, cable, front derailleur and second ring you could lose up to a pound. If it's already a single, then never mind.

In all seriousness, you could lighten up every part of that bike but nothing is going to be better than lighter, tubeless wheels.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    For $200 your options are very limited. Take a crap, lose the kickstand, and get some lighter tires are about your only options. Oh, and riding more so you'll get stronger and won't notice the extra weight as much.

When you have some $$$ to spend, better wheels, tubeless, and a better seat are easy, quick, and worthwhile upgrades.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

turtles make me hot
    Virgch, what part of NY are you in? I'm on Long Island.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Don't buy anything from Bikeinn, I had a not fun time disputing a charge when I returned an unopened item. They ship from Spain, which complicates things. And the owner is rather ornery. That is the nice way to put it.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Possibly crankset and or bottom bracket and pedals. You might find something on sale that fits.

But I agree, tire set-up will give the most lost weight for the cost.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

since 4/10/2009
    Unless you've got a touring bike or a cargo bike, it's useless, it's extra weight, and it's going to be a problem off-road.

It's also a free way to lose weight, which is what you want to do, on a limited budget.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    The cheapest, lightest, best tubeless wheels you can build are Alex Blizzerks in either 70 or 90mm laced to Bike Hub Store hubs.

This isn't wrong, but it needs a lot of qualification to be accurate.

In all seriousness, you could lighten up every part of that bike but nothing is going to be better than lighter, tubeless wheels.

And here we can agree.

All fat, all the time.
    Take poop, lose kickstand, convert to tubeless and light wheels/tires if $$ allows. Luckily the first 2 are free

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    go poop before you ride
    Read my mind!

It makes me want to gauge my eyes out just so I don't have to look at it. I think concern over weight is massively overblown, but I also can't think of any reason why I would have such a useless appendage attached to my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    A kickstand on the chain stay or seat stay forces a lot of pressure into that spot. Iíve heard of frames bending over time. https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/kickstands_on_long_haul_truckers

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    This isn't wrong, but it needs a lot of qualification to be accurate.
    Yeah, actually, I should have clarified a little better... Blizzerks are good rims with good tubeless for the money. Bike Hub Store hubs, or Bitex hubs are a decent hub for the money. THE best? No, but not trash either. This is the stuff I would go to if I needed a step up and couldn't afford top notch hubs and rims.
    I cater to guys that have families and need maximum bang for the buck. No one in my group has Chris King hubs or carbon rims but we all have fool proof tubeless and our stuff never breaks. It would be silly to build a wheelset and use something like a Chosen hub and a rim that needs split tubeless to work.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks man. Two things, where online can I get the best deal for the setup you just described? Can I do this on my own? I am pretty handy but is this something I can do on my own watching a few videos on youtube considering I have never fixed a bike before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    The cheapest, lightest, best tubeless wheels you can build are Alex Blizzerks in either 70 or 90mm laced to Bike Hub Store hubs. This is going to blow right through your 200 dollar budget but you end up with better wheels by a long shot.

I have Surly My Other Brother Darryls on my fat bike which are made by Alex. They replaced Clownshoes which were huge and heavy. When I switched to the Darryls, it transformed the bike.

What's the drivetrain on that bike? I looked at the pic and it looks like I see a front derailleur cable. You could get a single ring from Wolftooth. If you lose the shifter, cable, front derailleur and second ring you could lose up to a pound. If it's already a single, then never mind.

Thanks man. Two things, where online can I get the best deal for the setup you just described? Can I do this on my own? I am pretty handy but is this something I can do on my own watching a few videos on youtube considering I have never fixed a bike before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Virgch, what part of NY are you in? I'm on Long Island.
    Upstate NY.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Read my mind!

It makes me want to gauge my eyes out just so I don't have to look at it. I think concern over weight is massively overblown, but I also can't think of any reason why I would have such a useless appendage attached to my bike.
    Yeah the kickstand is gone. After the beatdown from all the replies I got rid of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I purchased the wheelset I needed for my Karate Monkey from Velomine. If they donít have exactly what you need in stock (hub size, thru axel, whatever) just email and ask. They can do anything and they are cheap. They are excellent. Fat Bike Wheels Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

turtles make me hot
    This combination would have to be hand built. The rims are just under 100 dollars apiece, hubs are 80 for the front and 140 for the rear and spokes and nipples come to about 75 bucks. If you could build these yourself, labor would be free. Friendly with any bike mechanics?
    https://www.thebikesmiths.com/products/blizzerk90-197

These guys sell complete wheels, most of them are sold out. The one they have has a Formula hub. Not my favorite.
    I like turtles