Help me choose my next 4" tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Help me choose my next 4" tires

I'm currently rolling On One floaters front and rear for singletrack use. Am thinking about upgrading to hudu, Dillinger, knard or combination there of for lower rolling resistance and better handling. My riding is anything from hardpack singletrack, some rocks, sandy trails, and hopefully some snow if we get any here this year.
    Also the Vee H-Billie could be an option for the money if anyone has experience with them.
    What would be a good front-rear combo for my needs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    sounds good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am planning on running H-Billie tires on my Bucksaw, but will be watching this thread. I am also considering Vee 8s for hardpack (most of my riding), or a combination of the two - I am also waiting to see if I can get the 120tpi version of the Panaracer Fat B Nimble. The frame will not be here for several months but trying to get all my parts in hand before then so I am not waiting to build and ride.

mtbr member
    I have Hudu/F Knard/R on Marge Lites and really like the combo. But I've never run anything else on a fat bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So is the HuDu better suited as a front tire than a rear? How about a Dillinger, front or rear tire? It looks like people usually put knards on rear wheels more than front.
    I'll be mounting them on marge lites as well.

mtbr member
    The HuDu has more aggressive knobs and definitely gets better traction. The Knard rolls better. On a mountain bike I like to have a front tire that sticks better than the rear tire, I run a stickier front tire on my regular FS bike also. If you are at the limits cornering and the rear wheel slides that is a good warning that you are going as fast as you can and it is pretty fun also. Having the front slide is not so fun. I wouldn't put a Knard on the front. I know that some people run Nate/F Hudu/R.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    I am planning on running H-Billie tires on my Bucksaw, but will be watching this thread. I am also considering Vee 8s for hardpack (most of my riding), or a combination of the two - I am also waiting to see if I can get the 120tpi version of the Panaracer Fat B Nimble. The frame will not be here for several months but trying to get all my parts in hand before then so I am not waiting to build and ride.
    i loved the Vee8 on the back, very fast rolling, esp with a little more pressure. wasn't fond of it on the front. I ran it with a Vee Snowshoe in front & it was a pretty good combo, although the snowshoe had a tendency to wash in aggressive cornering in the snow, but performs well in the dirt. I plan on getting an H-Billie next, to run on the front with a snowshoe in back, next.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I hadn't even considered the Vee8, that looks like a viable option as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    i loved the Vee8 on the back, very fast rolling, esp with a little more pressure. wasn't fond of it on the front. I ran it with a Vee Snowshoe in front & it was a pretty good combo, although the snowshoe had a tendency to wash in aggressive cornering in the snow, but performs well in the dirt. I plan on getting an H-Billie next, to run on the front with a snowshoe in back, next.

since 4/10/2009
    In general I am not a fan of reduced traction in the rear. Many of the trails I ride have short, steep ups with wet roots or slippery rocks. Grippy sandstone is rare here. Typically, rocks are either round and weathered granite boulders (glacial dropstones) or limestone that grips like an ice skating rink when wet.

I don't mind a tire in the back with less cornering stability, but I DO want something that has a reasonably good straight-line traction. A front tire for sure does need solid cornering.

I am intrigued by the HuDu/Knard combo, however. With fall coming on, though, I'm going to want a little more bite. Maybe a Nate/HuDu for the cooler, wetter seasons and snow, and HuDu/Knard for summer?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I should clarify that my tire setup I am looking at will be for three season riding only - I will have a different bike for winter riding with snowshoe XL tires front and back. Sucks that I have spent a lot on fat bikes with only a pile of parts to show for it so far. I have a BD Motobecane Sturgis Bullet ordered as well as the Salsa Bucksaw frameset.

:-)