Help Me Build My Fatback- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Help Me Build My Fatback

After a couple of months of lurking on the forum, I've bit the bullet and reserved an aluminum Fatback in blue. Now I'd greatly appreciate some input on components, and some fresh snow... It was 44 and raining last Monday here in NH, but the temps are back down now.

I'd love to go ahead and get the Speedway wheelset, but my budget isn't looking like it's gonna work out. I'll probably get their rear hub, unless there is another one anyone would recommend. Some of you have been running the Choppers US rims - any feedback? I haven't called yet to see if they're in stock, but the 26x65 rims look good to me. Also, does anyone know where I can get a Spyder tire for the rear?

Do you have to run a specific size crank with the 100mm bb? The Whirly's are out, but what else could I run? I may be taking my rear cassette, chain, and shifters off of my regular MTB to save a little cash. I might run a 32x20 SS, but am not too sure - I haven't owned a SS bike before. Probably going to run the Titec H-Bar with a +90 degree stem for a more upright position.

Thanks for any input!

No, that's not phonetic
    Cranks: run any crappy old Isis cranks with a new FSA Isis DH 100mm bottom bracket. If you get the Isis cranks off eBay for cheap, you could be set up with cranks and a new BB for under $100. Nothing special about the Isis cranks. Any mtn crank should work.

I don't know of anyone running the Chopper rims other than the 100mm models.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for crank info cheezy. I almost decided on the 907 from your review with rando, but was having trouble finding a fork for it.

No, that's not phonetic
    Greg told me the geo on the Alu Fatback should match the Ti model closely, and I get the feeling the has thought through the numbers pretty carefully in addition to riding some prototypes that had adjustable bits like sliding dropouts. I still want to ride an Alu Fatback and I am very hesitant to speculate on what one will feel like until I do, but I have pretty high hopes for it. The proof will be in the pedaling.

hispanic mechanic
    @dire wolf- I'm with tscheezy on finding some cheap cranks, at least for now. You'd be surprised at how well fat bikes do as 1 speeds. A 20t cog, with a 32t chainring, will also be easier on your budget right now than a full geared drivetrain. Besides, you can get a steel geared ring (mind your chainline!) to use for SS, and if you don't like it, use it with your geared set up.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well I spoke with Speedway last night and am going to go with a nearly complete build from them. Their wheelset with 1x9 Sram/Truvativ drivetrain. Gonna break the bank, but I don't have any dependents right now so I can eat beans, rice, and peanut butter for a little while... I've been looking a little at pedals. Anybody running Tioga MX Comp platforms? They look like they might be good, but I haven't found any info on how much surface area they have.

My LBS had a few pairs of Endos in stock so I grabbed a pair yesterday. (If anyone needs a pair check out www.highintensitybikeshop.com soon while they're still available!) Took a few photos with them next to my 700x37 Surly LHT and they look ginormous! Having trouble getting them to upload to the thread though

Fatback
    The platform of the Tioga's is too small. There are several platform pedals available that should suit your needs, starting with the Wellgo Mag's at 375g. Give us a shout to discuss the other options.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

mtbr member
    I'm running a 1x9 SRAM setup on mine with X.9 and a GORE cable. Truvativ Holzfeller crankset and Howitzer BB. It's solid as hell!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

Members who have read this thread: 0