? and help from the Dolomite guru's...Mongoose fat bike help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

? and help from the Dolomite guru's...Mongoose fat bike help

Hello all,,,great site...here are my issues...I just ordered a Mongoose Dolomite and it should be here next week..I will be using it mainly on flat trail in the winter,,,here are the questions and I appreciate answers from anyone who has done this;

1) will I need to chg the rear freewheel to a megarange 7 speed ? If so which one is the best one to get and is it just a swap or will I need to chg the chain, derauilers etc ?

I ride both a road and hybrid bike now and am in good shape...

2) What should I plan to do before riding the bike...lube front and rear hubs ? If so what is the procedure for doing these....also bb lube ? again what is the procedure ?

I have a bike repair stand and many tools....have been auto mech, for years so know my way around repairs and wrenches....not so much on bikes...

Thank you and any help would be well appreciated

beer thief
    This thread probably has an answer to every Dolomite question you can think of, and more: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/dol...te-902410.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    This thread probably has an answer to every Dolomite question you can think of, and more: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/dol...te-902410.html
    Yea I read that and didnt see my questions answered,,,at least not that I could figure out

Also wondered IF these bikes come with quick releases or if not how easy to put them on

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    also how many c02 cartridges does it take to fill these tires ?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Actually, everything you need to determine which freewheel you decide you want is provided in that thread, including how to do a custom stack and which freewheels can be made into custom stacks. Also provided are various lists of typical/recommended things to do before you ride it, and a few surprisingly inexpensive upgrades. There's even links to procedures and tool lists on servicing the bottom bracket (or to change to upgraded cup & bearings) and the hub bearings.
    We try to keep everything Dolo in that thread, to keep all of the Dolo information and advice available in one spot. It also keeps some of the stupid Dolo stuff out of the way of the rest of the forum. Like asking to be spoon fed things that have already been covered by a lot of helpful people in that thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well 26 pages that more than half are fighting and bantering back and forth and talking about things that have zero to do with the bikes....not one thing talking about how many co2's are needed...also the question never answered about the quick releases.....hope someone will reply to this post with some needed help

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah, that BS is a pain. But people can't control what - or where - others choose to post.

So, you're asking for help, but you're not willing to
    > We try to keep everything Dolo in that thread, to keep all of the Dolo information and advice available in one spot.

As to the CO2 and fat tires. Try a search that isn't limited to Dolomites. Not too many people who are limited to the budget of a Dolomite are going to be shelling out for CO2 cartridges...
    If they can, they've likely already ditched the stock tires & tubes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Yeah, that BS is a pain. But people can't control what - or where - others choose to post.

So, you're asking for help, but you're not willing to
    > We try to keep everything Dolo in that thread, to keep all of the Dolo information and advice available in one spot.

As to the CO2 and fat tires. Try a search that isn't limited to Dolomites. Not too many people who are limited to the budget of a Dolomite are going to be shelling out for CO2 cartridges...
    If they can, they've likely already ditched the stock tires & tubes.
    Ill wait and see if anyone responds with help to my questions...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerr91 View Post
    Ill wait and see if anyone responds with help to my questions...
    You've been directed to where the answers are for your first two questions, and for what will likely be the best info available for your CO2 question.
    But you've chosen to wait to be spoon fed. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    You've been directed to where the answers are for your first two questions, and for what will likely be the best info available for your CO2 question.
    But you've chosen to wait to be spoon fed. Enjoy.
    And you seem to be missing the point...there is NO info there re SOME of my questions...if the only reason you came here was to offer what you have offered then pls hold off on repeated responses that are the same....three reply's from you and none answering the questions that were NOT in a 26 page post.....I dont need to be "spoon fed" and I can read and DID read the entire bantering post...my questions remain...lets just let it go shall we and ill see IF I can get my questions answered here...good day

mtbr member
    May 2011
    rangerr91: The freewheel cassettes are threaded on (you WILL need a special tool to remove the stock 14-28 tooth unit...) The most common (& least expensive) Magarange is the contemporary Shimano (avoid the Falcon knockoff - not as well made as the Shimano unit...) 14~34-tooth unit. You should NOT need to switch out the stock deraileur... (I ride w/the 24,34,42-tooth front chainrings on mine and my 34-tooth is only 2 teeth off the stock 36-tooth single - the deraileur should be able to handle the 36/34 tooth combo - IF not - lengthen your chain a link or two - there's a tool for that...)
    ALSO: I'm not aware of any hollow axles or quick-release spindles long enough to permit installation of a quick release on the rear (190mm) hub...) (I'd like to be able to use a BOB type single-wheel trailer - they usually need a quick-release spindle for the stock connectors - though I think alternate nuts/connectors ARE available for BOB's, etc. ?!?)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Actually, if you had read that entire thread, you would have already had the information to the questions in your OP. Someone pointed you to the thread where that info is. I confirmed that the info regarding your OP is there for you, and that there's links to the required procedures (surely you don't expect someone to copy & paste those web sites here for you). I also pointed out about Dolos and CO2, why there isn't likely to be a specific reply to Dolo tires, but where you could search to find comparable info.

But you are correct in: I don't recall anywhere in that thread that discusses changing the nuts on the axles to quick-release nuts.

Have a nice day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rotaidalg View Post
    rangerr91: The freewheel cassettes are threaded on (you WILL need a special tool to remove the stock 14-28 tooth unit...) The most common (& least expensive) Magarange is the contemporary Shimano (avoid the Falcon knockoff - not as well made as the Shimano unit...) 14~34-tooth unit. You should NOT need to switch out the stock deraileur... (I ride w/the 24,34,42-tooth front chainrings on mine and my 34-tooth is only 2 teeth off the stock 36-tooth single - the deraileur should be able to handle the 36/34 tooth combo - IF not - lengthen your chain a link or two - there's a tool for that...)
    ALSO: I'm not aware of any hollow axles or quick-release spindles long enough to permit installation of a quick release on the rear (190mm) hub...) (I'd like to be able to use a BOB type single-wheel trailer - they usually need a quick-release spindle for the stock connectors - though I think alternate nuts/connectors ARE available for BOB's, etc. ?!?)

THANK YOU !!! I have a freewheel Park removal tool...ill probably lube the hub at the same time if they are not sealed bearings...probably epay for the freewheel ?? And I assume just an adjustment for the deraileur ?

So I need to carry a couple wrenches to remove the front or rear wheel in case of a flat...

So you just changed the front chain rings instead of changing the rear ? I want to ride it first to see IF the rears are already low enough for me to ride in the snow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Dolo in the wild needs a WIKI. I have read it, and it is sometimes tedious to locate info later

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    A trigger shifter is an inexpensive nice upgrade. Different tires and tubes will take significant weight off. A more comfortable seat would be a good upgrade. And a Bafang BBSO2 mid drive would be very cool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    How's it going.... Just recently bought and modified my dolomite and thought I'd help out. I found some quick releases on Ebay for solid axles. They were like $25 for the set. I put them on the rear . I actually swapped hubset out for a cassette instead of freewheel set up. I had to use axle from original rear hub because spacing was 170mm instead of 190mm required for dolomite. It works great with quick releases I bought. Worth it for me because I have a stock of cassettes and didn't want to deal with freewheels again. I will be dumping all my parts on ebay that I took off this bike.

Happy riding.... I love this bike...