Help choose my first fat bike: 2017 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 vs 2018 Specialized Fatboy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Help choose my first fat bike: 2017 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 vs 2018 Specialized Fatboy

I am working on purchasing my first fat bike and can't decide which bike would be the better value for the money. I am looking at the 2017 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 which my local REI has on sale for $1400 and the 2018 Specialized Fatboy which retails for $1800 and they will sell to me for $1600. I would really appreciate some opinions from all of the experienced fat riders on the forum. Thanks for your help.

Fat CAAD 2 Cannondale Bicycles

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fa...=239963-129149

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredrouth View Post
    I am working on purchasing my first fat bike and can't decide which bike would be the better value for the money. I am looking at the 2017 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 which my local REI has on sale for $1400 and the 2018 Specialized Fatboy which retails for $1800 and they will sell to me for $1600. I would really appreciate some opinions from all of the experienced fat riders on the forum. Thanks for your help.

Fat CAAD 2 Cannondale Bicycles

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fa...=239963-129149
    Buy the lightest fat bike you can afford. The CAAD 2 is a pig. Ok started bike but heavy as hell. Youíd be MUCH better off buying a used anything for under $1000. If you like fat biking, you will want a much lighter bike.

mtbr member
    I owned a 2017 Fatboy. It was a nice bike. I put a Bluto on it (easy process) which made it even nicer for my needs. I sold it because I liked the Bluto so much that I decided to go full-suspension and bought a Farley EX8.

There wasnít much I didnít like about the Fatboy. In retrospect compared to my EX8, I did feel a little limited by the 10 speeds, and the bike did make me feel a little stretched out. The SRAM X7 isnít overly impressive, but it gets the job done. The Tektro brakes were pretty much OK. $1600 is a great price though...thatís the way Iíd go given the budget you propose and the dealers you have to work with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Check out "FRAMED" fat bikes. You can get into their Alaskan carbon for right around 1800.00. Mail order from "The House" if you don't have a dealer close by.

I've had mine for two years now and enjoy the heck out of it. I bought a frame and built it up up the way I wanted it and it comes in at 24.4 lbs. rigid no fork.

mtbr member
    I've bought a couple of Framed bikes. They're good bikes, but mind the components. As a price-point bike, they do cut some corners. Over the phone, they will custom assemble to your order and upgrade components at your request.

If you buy Framed, you have the option of paying $99 for shipping and to have the bike pre-assembled and tuned. I did that twice and both times found things, the hard way, that they forgot to do. Gear indexing aside, they have also "forgotten" to torque the cranks. To their credit, they did make good and stand behind the subsequent damage, sending me an upgraded crankset (GXP for TruVativ), but it did keep me off the bike for awhile while I waited for the parts. Next time, I'd be inclined to just pay the $49 and pay the dealer to set it up, or at least go over it myself with my trusty torque wrench.

mtbr member
    Cube Nutrail is in your price range, spec'd pretty nicely ...

Cube Nutrail Fat Bike 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Growler Octoberfest Edition on Amazon right now for $1800. I have one of these and itís amazing. Plus the owner Willo will tweak the build anyway you want.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I've just bought a 2017 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 at a very good discount here in the UK during the recent Black Friday sales. It seems to be a quality bike. Yes, it's quite heavy but doesn't feel heavy at all to ride.

Just something to be wary of, apparently Cannondale changed the spec of the tyres on the bike during the 2017 season to slightly smaller ones - 4.4inch Jumbo Jims versus the original spec 4.8inch Jumbo Jims. Cannondale identified an issue with clearance on the rear stays.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with bike itself, but I have upgraded a few parts on it already.