Helmet recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Helmet recommendations?

Hey guys, With the purchase of my new moonlander I figured I better buy a new bucket. My old helmet was your standard mountain bike helmet. It did the job but was not very comfortable.

What do you guys recommend? I would like something light weight, lo profile and comfortable. Inexpensive is also a plus.

Thanks in advance.

bigger than you.
    I'm really happy with my Bell Super 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Helmets don't work well if they don't fit well. Any suggestion here may be terrible because we don't know if it will fit you.
    I internet shop 95% of the time, but for helmets I'll go to a shop.
    If you have a performance bike they usually have a good selection.

Two Headed Boy
    I've had a lot of helmets over the years and my Bell Super is some of the best money I've spent!!
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    I internet shop too. If I can narrow down some models I can see if the local shops have them and go try them on. If they are decently priced, Ill buy from them. If not internet for sure.

banned
    Sep 2008
    i sell a 50.00 lazer helmet that fits most heads really well and folks have been super happy with them. i'd totally get one once my helmet needs replacing.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTFATBIKER View Post
    I internet shop too. If I can narrow down some models I can see if the local shops have them and go try them on. If they are decently priced, Ill buy from them. If not internet for sure.
    The Angry Singlespeeder: Don?t ?Showroom? Your Local Bike Shop - Mtbr.com

banned
    Sep 2008
    great article. when folks try to showroom me, i make sure to sell them on the wrong stuff or wrong sizes. and any internet shoppers that try to process a warranty thru me are $hit outta luck.

All fat, all the time.
    Go to lbs, try some on, pick one in your price range.

Be sure to ask for the fatbike specific version though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am a fan of the bell helmets that adjust with a dial. Easy to loosen up to slip over cold weather headgear, then tighten up with the dial. Huge advantage in the cold over fixed size helmets, imho. I am sure some other brands have the same setup, I just have experience with Bell.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I use a fat bike-specific helmet.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    great article. when folks try to showroom me, i make sure to sell them on the wrong stuff or wrong sizes. and any internet shoppers that try to process a warranty thru me are $hit outta luck.
    I get it. I try and support local business as much as possible but when you can find stuff on the internet for way cheaper, its hard. I always give them the opportunity though...

mtbr member
    What are the fat bike specific ones?

mtbr member
    IXS Trail. I prefer the fatbike enduro version in green, but the other colors allegedly work as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm going with a Bell Super 2R. No sense in taking chances.

banned
    Sep 2008
    I get it. I try and support local business as much as possible but when you can find stuff on the internet for way cheaper, its hard. I always give them the opportunity though...
    i totally hear you. why pay more than you have to? but if yer using a shop to "check it out" or take even a minute of a salespersons time only to go online and make the purchase it's pretty lame.

i run a bike shop and a ski shop and winter sports are the worst for it. i specialized in alpine touring, telemark, xc, and xcbc and folks are always wanting to try this boot or that boot on for size to go order online and i can smell them from a mile away. when i can and it's not too awkward i come right out and ask them.

mtbr member
    Sure. Like I said I always give them the opportunity to make the sale or match the price but if its a huge difference in price I cant pass that up.

banned
    Sep 2008
    cool, ya having to or trying to price match isn't the worst thing in the world. better to make a sale than no sale and it turns into others sales, even if it's just a tube or a cliff bar or.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If you're looking at a current model year helmet online, an LBS will be the same freaking price as an internet sale plus shipping.

If you guys would find an LBS you like and build a proper relationship with them, you might find the LBS to frequently be same price as online or cheaper.

Rippin da fAt
    I woulda done it with my heart surgery without any guilt whatsoever. 48 hours and 100k later. My lbs tho', they treat me right. It's kinda nice when the shop says up front, "We'll meet the prices of real online shops". However, try purchasing anything in Aspen, they price MSRP +20%, and they deserve it.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I did a lot of research on helmets (which I continue) for both cycling and skiing after my son wound up with a traumatic brain injury after a ski crash, three weeks of a coma and a year in rehab and a year out of college. We had to battle his way back from learning to swallow through dealing with all sorts of cognitive issues. The good news is he's fine now, will graduate from college next month is on to grad school in engineering next fall. That took an enormous amount of work, sacrifice and treasure especially for him but also for the whole family. To the extent an of those could have been mitigated by helmet technology (we believe it could have helped had it been available), it would have been worth it. FWIW, I'm also an engineer so I'm a little obsessed with some of this stuff.

Long story made short, I would not buy a helmet that does not have the new MIPS technology (or similar if an equivalent technology shows up). This technology can do a lot to mitigate or eliminate concussions that come from an oblique hit to the helmet - the majority of impacts. It's also worthy to note that standard CPSC rated helmets do little to mitigate concussions due from these sorts of impacts but they do provide protection from penetration and reduce the incidence of skull fractures.

You can find this technology in helmets that cover the majority of the price points.

Find a helmet! Ľ MIPS Brain Protection System Ľ #MIPSinside

The cost differential is modest. Because brain injury is very low until a threshold acceleration is reached at which time damage occurs quickly and is dramatically increased with added acceleration, any advantage in helmet design that backs you down the damage curve pays big dividends quickly. The ~$40 adder (at most) is of huge benefit should you take any hit to the head while wearing your helmet.

J.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Go to lbs, try some on, pick one in your price range.

Be sure to ask for the fatbike specific version though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I use a fat bike-specific helmet.
    I know, right?

What are the fat bike specific ones?
    Apparel and Protection - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    SixSixOne Recon Repeater

I upgraded to this helmet a few months ago. Lightweight, great extended coverage on the back, good ventilation, and good price.
    Everything is better on 2 wheels!
    Giant Anthem X 29er, Trance 27.5
    Diamondback Clutch 27.5+
    mountainbikingtexas.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Like John380 said above, buy a MIPS helmet.

Try them on in person, and buy it from the store that stocked it.

Aside:

Only buy stuff online that doesn't require personal assistance. If you need your LBS to make the right purchase, don't be a douchebag, reward them for providing the service.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Most riding a Moonlander won't be riding fast enough to need a helmet.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post

Only buy stuff online that doesn't require personal assistance. If you need your LBS to make the right purchase, don't be a douchebag, reward them for providing the service.
    Yup don't go in and try stuff on at a shop then buy online, that is douchbaggary at it's finest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I used the Bell helmets the same one for my road bike and fatbike. This it was the
    first week without the cold weather on the head and it took couple of km to figure out why my helmet was moving a lot on my head. Very easy to adjust to the head.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Who knows if you are still looking, but someone might find this useful. I have used the Bell Stoker helmet for about a year, and I really like it. I wanted something with a little more coverage than a "regular" helmet but not quite the coverage of a Bell Super. My head is also on the large side and many other helmets do not come in a good size for me. I took a chance online since none of the local stores had Stokers in stock and it ended up fitting really well. It is cool enough for a Florida rider through the summer which is a huge deal. I think I paid $50 which for me is the helmet sweet spot of price/quality.
    Good luck,
    Bruce

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahbruce View Post
    Who knows if you are still looking, but someone might find this useful. I have used the Bell Stoker helmet for about a year, and I really like it. I wanted something with a little more coverage than a "regular" helmet but not quite the coverage of a Bell Super. My head is also on the large side and many other helmets do not come in a good size for me. I took a chance online since none of the local stores had Stokers in stock and it ended up fitting really well. It is cool enough for a Florida rider through the summer which is a huge deal. I think I paid $50 which for me is the helmet sweet spot of price/quality.
    Good luck,
    Bruce
    Good to hear. I recently purchased a Bell Stoker and have yet to receive it. I was concerned about summer riding ventilation but if it works for you in Fla. It certainly will be OK here in NJ.
    Thanks,
    Ed

mtbr member
    I bought a Bell Super when they first came out and I really like it. I've only had one fall where I hit my head and I was using a normal road helmet at the time. After that I bought a new helmet and figure that since Iím an gangly person so I chose the Super for a bit more protection around the side and back of my head. Havenít had to use it yet though. I am perpetually hot and was worried about ventilation but havenít found it to be too bad, even with the very hot and humid weather we get in Ottawa.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    odd because you're usually so reasonable and helpful on here.

lol attempting an adult conversation would be horrible. if someone is showrooming you, why not show them why they shouldn't be - with great service, or trying to be helpful? and then if they're just a dick, call your old buddy turdriverag and i'll bring my crowbar again.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    I believe somebody mentioned a fat-bike specific helmet. Definitely crucial.

As far as trying them on, I just ordered two helmets from Amazon (Giro Hex - fat bike model), and tried them on, and will return the one that doesn't fit.

Disclosure: I am waiting feedback from my wife (she's out of town), on whether the color is a keeper.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Recently replaced my old helmet with a Giro XAR. It has excellent adjustability, light weight and lots of vents. The visor on it swivels up and down. Works great for keeping the rain and sun out of my eyes.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Beargrease View Post
    Recently replaced my old helmet with a Giro XAR. It has excellent adjustability, light weight and lots of vents. The visor on it swivels up and down. Works great for keeping the rain and sun out of my eyes.
    And the adjustment band thingie that goes around the back of your head is very fragile.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    And the adjustment band thingie that goes around the back of your head is very fragile.
    I'll keep that in mind. Got it from REI. I can return it anytime within one year. So far it's working fine for me.

mtbr member
    So I am still looking for a helmet. I checked out a few of the recommendations and they were nice, but I need to get to a local store and see them in person. I dont like the gody looking helmets and want a lo profile helmet. I liked the supratail but the price was a turnoff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So I am still looking for a helmet. I checked out a few of the recommendations and they were nice, but I need to get to a local store and see them in person. I dont like the gody looking helmets and want a lo profile helmet. I liked the supratail but the price was a turnoff.
    This process can take a bit, I find that a Giro helmet fits perfectly and stays on even without a chin strap done up, try on as many brands as you can. Try at least two different sizes of each if available, plus note which ones come with extra pads in case it's really close but not quite. There is no substitute for trying it on in this case.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    This process can take a bit, I find that a Giro helmet fits perfectly and stays on even without a chin strap done up, try on as many brands as you can. Try at least two different sizes of each if available, plus note which ones come with extra pads in case it's really close but not quite. There is no substitute for trying it on in this case.
    Which makes it basically just a fashion accessory.

J.

aka bOb
    Fug me!!! Its a helmet for goodness sake just buy one!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Fug me!!! Its a helmet for goodness sake just buy one!!
    Fine then,
    Hello kitty here I come..

aka bOb
    Fine then,
    Hello kitty here I come..
    Personally I would've leaned towards pokeman but hey whatever floats yur boat. Also Specialized makes some nice helmets as well as Giant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I did a lot of research on helmets (which I continue) for both cycling and skiing after my son wound up with a traumatic brain injury after a ski crash, three weeks of a coma and a year in rehab and a year out of college. We had to battle his way back from learning to swallow through dealing with all sorts of cognitive issues. The good news is he's fine now, will graduate from college next month is on to grad school in engineering next fall. That took an enormous amount of work, sacrifice and treasure especially for him but also for the whole family. To the extent an of those could have been mitigated by helmet technology (we believe it could have helped had it been available), it would have been worth it. FWIW, I'm also an engineer so I'm a little obsessed with some of this stuff.

Long story made short, I would not buy a helmet that does not have the new MIPS technology (or similar if an equivalent technology shows up). This technology can do a lot to mitigate or eliminate concussions that come from an oblique hit to the helmet - the majority of impacts. It's also worthy to note that standard CPSC rated helmets do little to mitigate concussions due from these sorts of impacts but they do provide protection from penetration and reduce the incidence of skull fractures.

You can find this technology in helmets that cover the majority of the price points.

Find a helmet! Ľ MIPS Brain Protection System Ľ #MIPSinside

The cost differential is modest. Because brain injury is very low until a threshold acceleration is reached at which time damage occurs quickly and is dramatically increased with added acceleration, any advantage in helmet design that backs you down the damage curve pays big dividends quickly. The ~$40 adder (at most) is of huge benefit should you take any hit to the head while wearing your helmet.

J.
    I busted my head up against a tree when in college after bouncing 70 feet down some South Carolina asphalt; I know your struggles and pain. I have no memory of a ten day stretch following my accident, and I spent several months following in therapy and rehab.

I wake every day with a not-so-gentle reminder of my accident, having lost some teeth in the process. As such, I plan to purchase the Bell Super 2R helmet to give my teeth a bit more protection during a fall. The appliance I have installed in my jaw is much more fragile than natural teeth, and it is expensive and very painful to fix.

Good luck to your son, JohnJ. TBI are quite difficult for all involved, not just the patient but I know from experience how it can strain a family.

mtbr member
    Well I ended up going to a sporting goods store and I picked up a Scott Lin helmet. It fits awesome and had the Mips system. Little spendy but I guess you only get one noggin..
    Surley Moonlander
    Revelate Designs Custom In frame pack
    Front/Rear Mud Flaps

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyJr View Post
    I busted my head up against a tree when in college after bouncing 70 feet down some South Carolina asphalt; I know your struggles and pain. I have no memory of a ten day stretch following my accident, and I spent several months following in therapy and rehab.

I wake every day with a not-so-gentle reminder of my accident, having lost some teeth in the process. As such, I plan to purchase the Bell Super 2R helmet to give my teeth a bit more protection during a fall. The appliance I have installed in my jaw is much more fragile than natural teeth, and it is expensive and very painful to fix.

Good luck to your son, JohnJ. TBI are quite difficult for all involved, not just the patient but I know from experience how it can strain a family.
    Thanks and best of luck to you too. That's the thing with TBI, the patient can look totally normal but have all sorts of issues going forward. There can be considerable disability temporary or permanent and it can get tagged as misbehaving or being low capability instead of what it is. That can be really tough on families and on relationships. It's really a cruel injury.

Well I ended up going to a sporting goods store and I picked up a Scott Lin helmet. It fits awesome and had the Mips system. Little spendy but I guess you only get one noggin..
    Great choice. That's the helmet my son has and he really likes his. I was impressed with the comfort, adjustability and the ventilation too.

J.

GIZMO CYCLING
    Feb 2008
    Agreed. Your helmet needs to fit well in order for it to perform like it is intended. Check out your local Bike Shop that has a good selection.

mtbr member
    Smith Vantage for snow cold riding
    Smith Vantage Snow Helmets Men's: Smith Optics US Site

Smith Forefront for summer warm riding
    Smith Forefront Bike Helmet | Smith Optics US Site

mtbr member
    May 2013

Concussions

If you're a crazy rider you might want to look into helmets with MIPS technology.

The old style helmets suck (most helmets on the market are old-style) and don't offer any cush when you smash your head. Bell has some cheaper options now if budget is a concern. It only takes one hard blow to send you into a dirt nap and give you daily headaches.

Even EPS foam sucks. It doesn't really provide the cush they claim it does, IMO.