Helmet cover for cold weather fat biking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Helmet cover for cold weather fat biking

Anyone tried an over the helmet cover instead of, or with, head cover for cold weather riding? Pros and cons?

Thanks,

Urmb
    “How inappropriate to call this planet "Earth," when it is clearly "Ocean.”
    ― Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    i have used one of these:https://www.amazon.com/AYAMAYA-Refle...e+helmet+cover

You still need to wear a beenie/hat, moisture will condense on the inside of it and you need to cut it up to install a light. By eliminating any ventilation it does help retain some heat but at the cost of a wet head. Mine sat in a box all last winter.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't bother. I biked year round in Alaska for nine years and never used one. A thin, Smartwool beanie did the trick most days. My outerlayer, Marmot ROM soft-shell, had a hood that fit over my helmet to prevent wind infiltratation. Rarely needed it, but it was there for extreme conditions or for rest stops to preserve heat. We lose most body heat through our head, so during exertion it needs less insulation than other parts of the body. Often I would be sweating with just the beanie. Good reason for using wool.
    Veni vidi velo!

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Why buy some other random bit of Chinese made junk and give Amazon another chance to kill the world one order at a time, when you have the solution in your shop already?

Been duct taping the front vents on my helmet for years. Stops that cold flow in front, lets the back ones keep working, problem solved.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Why buy some other random bit of Chinese made junk and give Amazon another chance to kill the world one order at a time, when you have the solution in your shop already?

Been duct taping the front vents on my helmet for years. Stops that cold flow in front, lets the back ones keep working, problem solved.
    Great idea!
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Lot of people use downhill ski/snowboard helmets. Many have adjustable vents. You don't even need a beanie when it's in the 20's but are also good to go when it's cold.
    Latitude 61

EAT MORE GRIME
    I use an LG cover
    https://garneau.com/ca_en/h2-cover-1083138

and one or two thin merino wool beanies. usually one but two if at night and getting into the 20's F or lower. neck gaiter also
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I just use clear Gorilla tape over the vents....works great.

mtbr member

Genius! I’m going to try black electrical tape and see how that goes.
    16' Framed AK white/black 21" FAT
    97' Cannondale Super V yellow/black

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Glad to help!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Elitest thrill junkie

That and let me put a shout-out for Buffs. They are incredibly versatile and good to temps like 20s. You can use as a beanie or more like a balaclava, or a neck-warmer. Small and easy to pack.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I use a lightweight hat under my helmet that has windblock built into the hat. If it is really cold (<0 F) then I will use a light hat/beanie under the windblock hat. Both hats wick moisture and block wind. Works great, no need to tape vents, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was considering 10 and below rides and windy rides, but the collective experience makes sense. My skull caps work. I like the vent taping ideas for extra windy rides. Even leaving the back ones open for sweat evap path.

urmb
    “How inappropriate to call this planet "Earth," when it is clearly "Ocean.”
    ― Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    I am another user of duct tape. The secret is to leave enough vent to get some airflow to remove the mist of sweat around your head otherwise it can freeze solid if you have a fast descent, but if you don't have a vent then your head gets sweat soaked anyway with the potential to ice up.

Experimentation is worthwhile because there's not many helmets with the same vents.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland