mtbr member

Hate Fatbikes? You’re Doing it Wrong

Current bikes:
    2018 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL
    2018 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    That was awesome. And not a single mention of the word "Float", which I propose be permanently exiled from fatbike terminology for being too misleading.

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice!!!

bigger than you.
    yes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This is easily the best article I've read about fat biking and is exactly the way I use my bike. The cool stuff I was able to do and see on my fat bike blows my mind still to this day.

Makes me want to leave work and go stomp around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I wish I can express my self like that, very well done..

Laramie, Wyoming
    I think the biggest part of enjoying winter fatbiking is a sense of adventure. We recently took a gal on a group ride. She is athletic and very physically active. I ride road bikes with her some in the summer and she rides very aggressively. But, she doesn't seem to have a sense of adventure. It seems she wants to ride only to get in the maximum amount of exercise in the shortest amount of time. She didn't want to stop and talk, doesn't want to stop and take pictures, and isn't impressed by the scenery we ride in, and doesn't want a mental challenge while riding. I think those things are essential to enjoying a fatbike.

MN/WI
    Way better than the article written by Mr. Angry Single Speeder.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    I think this said it all

"Owning a fatbike means never having to wonder if the conditions are right – on a fatbike they are always right."
    Current bikes:
    2018 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL
    2018 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    That was awesome. And not a single mention of the word "Float", which I propose be permanently exiled from fatbike terminology for being too misleading.
    Except when used by CoastKid - he's posted genuine examples of float.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ş36' Highlands, Scotland

9:zero:7
    Two thumbs up!
    Only the dead fish swims with the current!

Perpetual n00b
    Everything in that article is correct. Because it is an opinion. Just like Angry Singlespeeders article. I have not heard any hate. I've heard that some people like A.S.S. don't see a point in spending thousands on a fat bike. For their particular situation are they wrong? I think some fat bikers are offended by those who do not fat bike. People that don't see a point in fat biking don't see the point in it for themselves. You shouldn't take it as discouragement and that you shouldn't do it. Relax. Aren't you hardcore fat bikers supposed to be super chill? Be like fat bike and stop giving a sh!t about what other people think about your boutique overpriced rigid MTB!
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    People around here need to relax. It's like hardcore fat bikers feel threatened that someone doesn't like their hobby. Who cares.

Moderator Moderator
    Hating the way someone else likes to have fun, when it's not hurting you in any way - you're doing it wrong.

Getting upset that not everyone likes fatbikes as much as you - you're also doing it wrong.

Arguing about fatbikes instead of riding or doing something useful - we're all doing it wrong (except me, my kid is sick and I'm stuck at home).

-Walt

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Hating the way someone else likes to have fun, when it's not hurting you in any way - you're doing it wrong.

Getting upset that not everyone likes fatbikes as much as you - you're also doing it wrong.

Arguing about fatbikes instead of riding or doing something useful - we're all doing it wrong (except me, my kid is sick and I'm stuck at home).

-Walt
    Well said Walt, Well said
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

-Walt
    Absolutely!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawidan View Post
    I think this said it all

"Owning a fatbike means never having to wonder if the conditions are right – on a fatbike they are always right."
    I guess I think this still has a bit of the over hype that fat bike marketers are guilty of. It is crazy to say that conditions are always right. That's just as bad as the "they float over deep untracked snow" statements. Fatbikes will go a lot more places than a regular bike but they will not go everywhere or anytime. OK rant over.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Hate Fatbikes? You’re Doing it Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Urkel View Post
    People around here need to relax. It's like hardcore fat bikers feel threatened that someone doesn't like their hobby. Who cares.
    Yes. They're just bikes, people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Yes. They're just bikes, people.
    Whoa, watch what you're saying there, partner! Mine has morphed into a beautiful black stallion that can fly across rainbows. Well, maybe just float over them.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

-Walt
    Hope your kid feels better soon! (Not only for his sake, but so you can ride instead of being stuck at home.)

mtbr member
    ...I think what everybody is forgetting is that MTBR is truly only in it to sell advertising space... They get The A.S.S. to write something to get everybody all jubilated, thusly increasing viewership...if he had written that fatbikes were super-cool and better than a glass of OJ in the morning, then everybody would go out and buy fatbikes...not the bike companies' other super-cool-with-a-better-profit-margin bikes...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

AZ
    banned
    I hate

that all you fuggars are having all the fun while I ride a non fat bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I posted in the "I don't like fat bikest"- thread and I may have stirred the pot. Really, I was agreeing that that there are conditions when riding a fat bike is annoying.

For me the fat bike thing is like a road bike. On one hand a road bike is like cool wonderful machine that is mostly about efficiency. Skinny tires, aero, very light. But I would never own one where I live. The public roads here have 2 inches (literally 2) to the right of fast traffic so the majority of the time you must ride IN traffic. I've been hit 3 times in my life by a car. I hate riding on paved roads with speed limits over 25 mph. Hate it. Its not the road bike, it is the conditions. I can't see how the places that I want to go will be enjoyable on a $2000 road bike (assuming I live to enjoy the fun), and I can't justify the cost.

For many I think a fat bike is the same way. A fat bike can't do anything about the 19 inches of snow at my house any more than a road bike can magically widen a road. For me a fat bike makes sense because in my region, it is likely that I can ride it about 50 weeks a year. And it takes me into the woods where I want to be, away from traffic.

A roadie will be along shortly to tell me how I am doing it wrong, but I get why some people don't like or want a fat bike. The $ vs pleasure is not worth it.

The angry SS guy admits his articles are to stir the pot. I wouldn't go register and post on a roadie forum about how I dislike road bikes, so I'm not so sure about the posts like that cropping up in the fat forum section. Part of it is that you don't have to register for a separate forum to get here and post. Part of it may be that people are trying to understand better why many people, including me, actually like fat bikes.