Nice try
    Nov 2012

Has anyone tried Slipnot tire chains?

Just curious if anyone has used these. When we go thru a snow cycle it's pretty easy to have icy roads for a period of time and this might be an economical way to get thru vs. dilingers $$$$. Share your knowledge please.......
    Last edited by Brogrease; 12-15-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Never used them. Adjust your tire pressure according to conditions. I run Nates,have ridden on packed snow/ice have not had problems.

Nice try
    Nov 2012
    I get it...... Just doesn't work for me. Too many places I want traction when I want it, i.e.steep icy streets. Runs with man made snow and going uphill or side hill etc. But next day or a week later I'm on flats and no snow so the chains could be an easy on/off $100 solution. Anyone tried them!!?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This idea works all right across a wide variety of terrains - but I'm not sure I'd spend $100. I built something very similar to this several years ago because I wanted to ride the road up to the trailhead, so my studded tires (aka 3/4 sheet metal screws) were out of the question. Great traction on the road, didn't do diddly in the snow (not that I expected it to), but maybe cost me $20-$30 in parts and an hour or two of time.

mtbr member
    May 2010

chains

zip ties?

cheapy, cheap cheap.

Smash Mode: ON
    I put some thought into tire 'chains' a while back and came to the conclusion that there really isn't room for anything much taller than the lugs on say a nate. So what is the point of chains if your tire lugs are just as aggressive? I really don't think you could expect the same traction on ice as studs would give so they would really just be there to help dig into the soft stuff.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    If you want economical studded fat tires, I'd say at this point you get to put in some sweat equity.

1) Buy some used tires that someone doesn't want. Endomorphs for people who don't live at a beach. (Want a pair?)

2) Look up how other people, fat or not, have studded some regular tires.

3) Put in the studs with a hand tool so you don't have nerve damage in your thumb for two weeks...
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    One of my riding buddies had a set of homemade chains last winter and went on several group rides with 6-12 snow bikes on prepared track in deep snow conditions and varied snow conditions that a U.P. winter offers. Bottom line is he never or rarely had any perceptable advantage over the rest of us. He took them off and abandoned them later in the season

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post

3) Put in the studs with a hand tool so you don't have nerve damage in your thumb for two weeks...
    True. I studded some 29er tires, I'll do some for you too. $10,000 each, plus materials.

Nice try
    Nov 2012

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ishpeming View Post
    One of my riding buddies had a set of homemade chains last winter and went on several group rides with 6-12 snow bikes on prepared track in deep snow conditions and varied snow conditions that a U.P. winter offers. Bottom line is he never or rarely had any perceptable advantage over the rest of us. He took them off and abandoned them later in the season
    Now we be talking! Thanks that's the info I like to hear from someone who actually tried chains. To all those who replied re: studs, been riding them since the early '80's and know their benefits well. Thanks anyway.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    If you want economical studded fat tires, I'd say at this point you get to put in some sweat equity....
    I was going to do this to my BFLs but when I did the math it didn't work for me:

- Grip-Studs are $1 a piece, most folks agree at least 100 studs per tire are the minimum.
    - Nokian and 45N studded MTB tires have more than 200 studs per tire.
    - I bought 45N Dillengers for $190 per tire.

Bottom line, studded tires aren't cheap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

SlipNot tire chains - big fan

Got a pair of SlipNot bicycle tire chains for my 4.5 inch fat bike. I was impressed by the rubber casing to protect side walls and the ease of installation. They fit like a glove and this probably contributed to the fact you really don't notice them - until you hit an icy climb. Otherwise, they make no noise and no different feel to the bike. On a steep icy climb I noticed them when my friend had to get off and push his fat bike (without tire chains), I literally cruised right up. It's a lot easier to climb when you don't have to worry about possible wheel-spin. My friend will be getting a pair.

Has anyone tried Slipnot tire chains?-fatchains.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    These look interesting. I've resisted studded tires mostly because I'd destroy them when I ride my fat bike on dirt. These may be the answer for riding in icy conditions and removing them when its not. How's the weight? Any slack when they're installed?
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    How's the weight? Any slack when they're installed?
    Yes please! Want to know more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    My bike without chains is over 30 pounds so the additional weight of the chains isn't really noticeable. I ride with a back pack with spare tube, tools etc, so I'm considering just throwing the chains in the back pack as well and breaking them out if it turns out I need them while on the trail. It takes a couple minutes to install them and seconds to remove them.

The chains fit so well (at least on the tire I'm running) there is no slack, no noise.

When I ride on the biggest back cog the chain touches the plastic casing on tire chain, but just barely so it doesn't prevent me from using that gear. I read about this beforehand so knew it was a possibility.

I'm interested in being able to plow through anything - mud, ice and snow and the chains are good for that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I made something similar for my 29er a few years ago and I really liked them on ice and especially in softer snow. Mine raised heck on my tire sidewalls and also on the frame. They worked for me.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'd think in softer snow these would dig nasty ruts.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

psycho cyclo addict
    They messed up on the sizes I ordered and never responded to my multiple inquiries about replacing them...
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    What does have more traction. These chains or actual studded tyres ? These chains look totally bad ass.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've been around a while. Used to do DIY "ice screws". I rode bulldog chains on an mtb for years. When slipknot came out I bought some for my mtb. High quality, great design, perfect for the variable conditions of slush/crud/bumps/ice and lumps that fall off cars, that you can find on roads. That said, I haven't found a need for my fatbike as I do not ride the roads, only trails with either studded tires for icy trails or Bud/Lou for packed snow.

I would not hesitate to buy slipknot if I rode to work regularly on winter roads, but I retired!

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.