Has anyone tried the Chinese tire studs on Ebay?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Has anyone tried the Chinese tire studs on Ebay?

Has anyone tried the Chinese tire studs on Ebay? They seem to be a great value-- but perhaps I am missing something. Any thoughts or wisdom from this group?

Here is the link: 300pcs Fat Bike Tire Studs Bicycle Spikes Tungsten Carbide Tip Length 5 7mm | eBay

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member

I am wondering about this as well. I bet they are fine. Just a copy of what is in a 45nrth tire. Just made a little cheaper.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Looks like they are designed to replace studs on tires that already have studs? They make reference to using the tool to push the stud into the stud pocket of the tire... well obviously a regular tire wouldn't have a stud pocket so probably they aren't that useful if you were thinking this was a way to make cheap studded tires.

mtbr member

It is quite easy to drill your own holes and install with a pneumatic stud gun. That is one of my potential plans.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    It is quite easy to drill your own holes and install with a pneumatic stud gun. That is one of my potential plans.
    I've never added studs to a tire, so excuse me if I'm off track but looking at the stud it has a shoulder at the bottom that I assume should fit into a wider part at the bottom of the stud pocket. If you drill the hole only part way into the tread block you wouldn't have a wider spot for this shoulder to snap into so I'm wondering if studs would just get ripped out due to a lack of positive retention?

mtbr member

It works just fine. With a stud gun it opens the hole to the size of the base then drops the stud and the rubber wraps around it. I have used it on car tires and it lasted just as long as factory studs. In Alaska cars are frequently restudded and non studded tires are done this way. I think it should work on nate is my potential plan.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the comments, everyone! I have a set of Dillinger tires that have the pockets in them-- so it seems like all I need is the hand tool and these should save me a great deal of money. Does anyone have a picture of a 45NRTH stud? I am curious if their design "appears" identical. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences, everyone. I greatly appreciate this community!

mtbr member

You still need to be very careful and make sure holes are completely clean. Please update us once you get these.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    All, I ended up purchasing what appears to be the same studs through Amazon. The shipping was a little less, and Amazon helps with protection from sending money and not receiving a product. Here is the link: Amazon.com : Tire Studs, length 5.7mm for Bicycles, 300pcs/lot : Sports & Outdoors

I am still interested in seeing what the 45NRTH studs look like if anyone has a pic of an uninstalled stud. Thanks, everyone!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bbtylrv View Post
    All, I ended up purchasing what appears to be the same studs through Amazon. The shipping was a little less, and Amazon helps with protection from sending money and not receiving a product. Here is the link: Amazon.com : Tire Studs, length 5.7mm for Bicycles, 300pcs/lot : Sports & Outdoors

I am still interested in seeing what the 45NRTH studs look like if anyone has a pic of an uninstalled stud. Thanks, everyone!

If you google 45 north tire studs, and click on images, the little drawings will be theirs. At least for me it worked.

I looked at your link and some Nokian studs I have that fit perfectly in the Dillenger look way shorter. They measure 5.1 mm top to bottom but look half as tall as what is shown in the link. The ones in the link look like all one type of metal for stud point and carrier, if the stud itself is not a carbide steel it will wear out faster. This may or may not be problem.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member

Please update us. I have dillengers sans studs and would love to drop these in if they fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Chinese studs appear to be all steel, whereas the 45nrth studs are aluminum with a carbide stud insert. I would assume they're significantly heavier than the 45nrth studs.

mtbr member

Guess I'll find out. I ordered a set. Though it was a couple days ago and no ship notice as of today.

mtbr member
    This seems possible as well, just got to pick right sized screws so they do not stick out too much. Wrap inner tire with gorilla tape and use some old tires you don't care to tinker with.

Studded Bike Tire For Ice
    Current bikes: 2010 Raleigh Talus 29er with Ergon GP5 grips, Shimano PD-T420 Click'R pedals, Topeak Explorer 29" Disc MTX Rear Rack and Topeak DXP bag.

2013 Walmart Mongoose Beast blue

"Put The Fun Between Your Legs"
    "26" isn't Dead, it just got FAT"
    "I Dream On Two Wheels"
    "Be The Motor, You Are The Engine"

mtbr member
    Any update for folks that ordered these?

mtbr member

Finally got a ship notice. Due around the 20th, price you pay for amazon free shipping

mtbr member

Where are you and what tires are you going to use?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    They appear to have very similar dimensions to Nokian and Schwalbe studs currently available online:

The Golden Wrench: Replacement Studs for Studded Tires

Please post a picture and weigh a few when they arrive. Thanks!

mtbr member

Well I was always looking and weighing options. The 27tpi Dillinger uses steel carbide studs. Only the 120tpi and the d5 use the aluminium carbide. However the have a different tip that is supposed to stay sharper. I wish the grip studs were cheaper and I could just stud my Nates with those. However if these works out I am still leaning towards studding nates.

mtbr member

Dillinger 4 stud less. I'm in Wasilla ak. Really only felt I needed studs a couple times last winter so I will likely do a sparse pattern.

mtbr member

So the 27tpi Dillinger has a steel carbide stud that is probably the same as this. I am super eager to see if this are good to go. My dad is in chugiak when you get yours in I am sure he would like to check it out. He is near some sweet trails but I don't want to blow his secret.

mtbr member

I can trade secrets for secrets. Haha. I'll get some info for you all when they arrive.

Side note does anyone have the stud tool I can borrow?

mtbr member

I do hope they work. I just can't see buying studs in packs of 20 or what ever they are for nearly a buck a stud. New dillenger 5's studded are almost cheaper.

mtbr member

Yeah. The price for those grip studs is crazy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    45Nrth studs are only $25-30 per pack of 100, not bad compared to about $1/stud for Gripstuds.

I just checked my Vee Snowshoe XL tires and they have pockets for press-in style studs with a ~6.5mm base. Will be trying Chinese and 45Nrth aluminum carbide studs on them as soon as the studs arrive.

mtbr member

I've never seen them for that price or in that quantity. That is if one can even find them in stock. Got a link?

mtbr member

All I find is 25 packs for 10-12 bucks plus shipping. Better than grip studs but still a couple hundred bucks to fully stud a set of dillengers

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    https://www.google.com/#q=45nrth+carbide+100+pack

The new, concave-tip studs are not in at most online stores, but some still have the pointy-tip studs. I have some concave-tip studs ordered and can let you know if they actually ship, or if I get the dreaded "sorry but the item you have ordered is not in stock" email.

EDIT:my concave-tip studs just shipped from Erik's Bike and Board Shop | Voted USA's Best Bike Shop | Specialized, Raleigh, Wilier, Pinarello Bicycles | Downhill Skis | Snowboards | Repair
    Last edited by ten80; 10-16-2014 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Behold, the Chinese studs just popped up on Fatbikes.com. Now you can get them with quick shipping from the US. $5 for 25 studs and they work in Dillingers.

9:ZERO:7 Carbide Studs 25 Pack

mtbr member

Hey thanks for the links. Hope mine actually show up. Set for 20th delivery. Slow boat!

mtbr member

Dear lord re read the email. November 20. That's some delayed shipping for sure.

mtbr member

It reads like fatbikes in ANC has them in stock. I am gonna give him a call and see what the story is. I have ordered from him before. He is the co owner of 9zero7 he has you pick up stuff at the trek shop which he owns as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Mine just shipped from China, ETA November 13 to December 2. Hopefully they arrive sooner, as most packages from Asia seem to not take all that long to get to Anchorage.

mtbr member

Mine arrived! Look good and I'll post pics later. Appear to be carbide tips. Definitely two different metals between the tip and the body.

mtbr member

Live Free & Ride
    Are these easy to install and will they stay in place once secured? Curious how these compare to screws in that way. If they are carbide it will definitely be more durable. An install break-down would be helpful here...thnx!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel - sold
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    These are a great deal. I wonder how the convex tip will perform on the ice with low pressure tires, will they bite? I see that the 45nrth Dillinger now uses a concave tipped stud, which would provide a sharp edge to bite the ice.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

Loser
    I have studded a few non-fat tires using screws inserted from the inside. I have tried many different things to keep the screw heads from abrading the tube. I finally tried tubeless - and the Stans was able to seal up the screws. The first inflation looked like one of those sparkler spinners on the Fourth of July, but it did eventually seal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Mine have not arrived yet (ordered Oct 14), so I bought some from fatbikes.com to get going on my tires. The Chinese studs have a slightly wider base than the 45Nrth studs and are more difficult to install, particularly in my Vee Snowshoe XLs that have very tight stud pockets and very gummy rubber. I put a few in a Dillinger 4 and they went in relatively easily. If properly seated, I think there is little risk of the Chinese or 45Nrth studs falling out unless you go skidding on pavement.

45Nrth concave-tip studs definitely feel sharper to the touch. I will report back when I have had the opportunity to test the Chinese and 45Nrth studs side-by-side.

UPDATE: my studs arrived November 3, 29 days ahead of what amazon predicted.
    Last edited by ten80; 11-07-2014 at 02:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Could you just use the eBay ones by drilling a hole just wide enough for the tip so that the base will be anchored to the inside of the tire? Or is the problem that the low pressure will allow them to rip or fall out? I am thinking about studding the Vee Rubber take-off's from my Bigfoot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't think so. First, it is very difficult to drill into soft rubber and actually create a cavity; the drill bit usually just makes a hole that closes up after the bit is removed. Second, the studs are somewhat difficult to install in a Vee Snowshoe XL WITH pockets, so pushing them into a hole and expecting the base to anchor in the base of the hole is unrealistic. I think the studs would just pop back out of the hole.

I say this having installed over 400 of these studs in Dillingers and Snowshoe XLs, so I have a good hands-on feel of them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Oh I see, that makes sense. At this point I might just start drilling in some 3/8 hex headed screws haha.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I cannot think of a way to effectively install these in a tire without pockets without using an automotive-type stud gun, but I have been able to find (even with the help of Google) a stud gun that is correctly sized for these much smaller studs. The stud gun makes a hole, holds it open, and inserts the stud in one smooth movement.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm interested to see how these cheap studs work. I might have to try them

mtbr member
    I know everyone likes to save a buck , but in the end you are validating low wages and lower quality of life buying low quality cheap products from countries that don't have labour or environmental standards. The only good thing is competition could bring down the prices of locally made (North American) products ; or we can lose more jobs to Asia if those companies can't compete. It's bad enough, so many good bike builders no longer build bikes here. Sorry that is my rant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Do you have evidence that the other more expensive studs are actually made in the USA or some other country where you are more comfortable with how society works? Pontificating here about Chineese made prodcuts, in a thread about Chineese made products seems unhelpful.

I've tried the screws from the inside trick with great success. Problem is, I used old Tires from my 26", not a fat bike tire. I like angleing the screws so they sharpen as I ride, but man the things will rip up anything they touch.

mtbr member
    how do these install? i dont see any threads. i am thinking of getting some for my bud\lou combo run tubeless. will thees chinese studs work?

mtbr member

These are specifically for tires with stud pockets like dillengers. They go in with a little t handle tool that helps shove them down.

mtbr member
    thanks, no go for bud\lou then. is there any cheaper option to stud bud\lou? i have seen some threads showing using screws. is that a decently working option?

mtbr member
    On-One floaters with 70 grip studs and 70 screws. Safety and confidence greatly enhanced for $130/ tire. Knobs just big enough for grip studs, did not lose any all winter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Got a 9zero7 getting built up right now and it is coming with Dillinger 5's unstudded and I plan on studding myself. For those that have done it how did the install go and roughly how many studs did you wind up using?

R&B
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hi, I am new to the forum and have been reading with interest. I just purchased a RSD Mayor RSD Bikes | Hardtail Mountain & Trail Bikes Toronto It came with Vee Snowshoe tires with the stud pockets. I had some difficulty figuring out which studs fit the pockets. I called Preston at Vee and he was very helpful, apparently they accept 45 north or equivalent studs. Following the links here I was able to order 600 studs on Amazon for about $80 CAD, wish me luck! It should hook up nicely in a Calgary winter. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R&B View Post
    Hi, I am new to the forum and have been reading with interest. I just purchased a RSD Mayor RSD Bikes | Hardtail Mountain & Trail Bikes Toronto It came with Vee Snowshoe tires with the stud pockets. I had some difficulty figuring out which studs fit the pockets. I called Preston at Vee and he was very helpful, apparently they accept 45 north or equivalent studs. Following the links here I was able to order 600 studs on Amazon for about $80 CAD, wish me luck! It should hook up nicely in a Calgary winter. Thanks for the info.
    which studs did you go with?

R&B
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I chose these, I am confident that they will work if delivered as described. Will confirm once they have arrived and are installed.
    Amazon.com : 45nrth Replacement Studs for Tires, Fat Bike Tire Stud, aluminum Body, 200pcs/lot : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I almost got those but to get enough for my Dilli 5's it would have been $120. So for $129 I went with the 500 pack from fatbikes.com big bonus for me is local pickup so no waiting for shipping.

R&B
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I looked at those, they are a good deal. Unfortunately not locally available and the Canadian $ is sucking at the moment. I need 220 per so I plan to pick up a 50pk at MEC for $25 which includes an installation tool, at least thats the plan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I chose these, I am confident that they will work if delivered as described. Will confirm once they have arrived and are installed.
    Amazon.com : 45nrth Replacement Studs for Tires, Fat Bike Tire Stud, aluminum Body, 200pcs/lot : Sports & Outdoors
    Thanks for the link. I'm in Calgary too and just picked up a Mayor from Bike Bros. However it showed up 2 days after I broke my ankle, so it's sitting in my basement for a while.

Calgary Cycle or Rebound (in Canmore) may have the 45Nrth installation tool.

mtbr member
    I may go with these, but am considering the 45NRTH ones also.http://www.amazon.com/Kold-Kutter-Se...BTEMSZVSGCY1BY

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Do you actually get a pack of 1000 for $50?

Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    I may go with these, but am considering the 45NRTH ones also.http://www.amazon.com/Kold-Kutter-Se...BTEMSZVSGCY1BY

mtbr member
    got any studded tires yet?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGPIE!!! View Post
    Do you actually get a pack of 1000 for $50?
    old version of the product?
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    ... Kutters. 3/8", in 1000 pack, I'm seeing three stock numbers. supposed to be:
    • KK038-8-1000 = original
    • KK381000-8 = improved
    • KK038-1224-1000 = latest, hardest, .189 head height, 12/24 threads

The first two, with shipping, can be found for 5.7 cents each.
    Seen the first one for somewhat lower, but I can't remember the price.
    So far, the best on the third stock number, supposedly the 2015, including shipping is 6.5 cents each.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ten80 View Post
    45Nrth studs are only $25-30 per pack of 100, not bad compared to about $1/stud for Gripstuds.

I just checked my Vee Snowshoe XL tires and they have pockets for press-in style studs with a ~6.5mm base. Will be trying Chinese and 45Nrth aluminum carbide studs on them as soon as the studs arrive.
    how did this work out for you? how many holes are in the snowshoes for studs? can you post a pic. or 2?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Any report back on these?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Any report back on these?
    What would you like to know?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post

How did they work out, how many per tire, total cost etc. Any photos?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    What tool did you install them with and how long did it take? My studs are somewhere between here and there in transit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by horizontallyopposed View Post
    What tool did you install them with and how long did it take? My studs are somewhere between here and there in transit.
    With the predrilled pockets there is a molded "pocket/slot cavity" in the bottom of the hole that fits the flange head of the stud, you can feel the stud "pop" into that cavity when it is in properly.

Regarding installation tools - many 45nrth dealers have them for about 8 bucks. If you're near a dealer, a good buy and probably useful. I had to replace some studs lost out of my D4's, used donors from some old 26 inchers. For an insertion tool I instead used a variety of items, the simplest was the cap on a blue Bic pen, still on the pen. Very close to right hole diameter, if I was going to do 500 studs I would maybe cut the pen body down shorter and drill a 1 inch dowel or such to make a T handle. The other tidbit for putting the studs in predrilled/molded pockets is to put a dab of rubber cement in the pocket. Acts as a lubricant for putting the stud in and helps bond the stud to the rubber as it cures. Other folks have used the alcohol based hand sanitizers as lubricants too, evaporates and leaves little or no residue as they are ~ 70 percent alcohol.

If I was studding a new tire I would flush the holes with isopropyl alcohol or such to clean any mold release out, there is some suspicion that it is at least part of the problem that leads to studs shedding from newly arrived pre studded tires. I lost 15 or so from the rear, after replacing using rubber cement no more for a couple of months. These fat tires also seem to be much softer than mtb studded tires, probably contributes to the stud loss as well.

Have fun! Keep us posted.

R&B
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    So my studs arrived, I actually ordered these http://www.amazon.com/45nrth-Replace...2C200pcs%2Flot
    They arrived in the time frame specified, they appear well made, consistent points centered etc. They sent 10 extra along with a polite note so I have no complaints. Yesterday I installed about 250 in my front Vee Rubber Snowshoe,it took about an hour. Worked fine on my commute hooking up nicely on the slippery stuff. I will put another 200 in the rear tire today. I purchased a Schwalbe 50 pkg. replacement which came with a tool, this worked perfectly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    On-One floaters with 70 grip studs and 70 screws. Safety and confidence greatly enhanced for $130/ tire. Knobs just big enough for grip studs, did not lose any all winter.
    I'd like to see a pic of this please.

I just ordered a pair of Floaters

Thanks in advance.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

R&B
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Vee Rubber Snowshoe Studded
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anyone tried the Chinese tire studs on Ebay?-img_0740.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

So my studs arrived, I actually ordered these http://www.amazon.com/45nrth-Replace...2C200pcs%2Flot
    They arrived in the time frame specified, they appear well made, consistent points centered etc. They sent 10 extra along with a polite note so I have no complaints. Yesterday I installed about 250 in my front Vee Rubber Snowshoe,it took about an hour. Worked fine on my commute hooking up nicely on the slippery stuff. I will put another 200 in the rear tire today. I purchased a Schwalbe 50 pkg. replacement which came with a tool, this worked perfectly.
    I ordered the 600 count and got the extra 15 pcs and the polite note in Engrish. I picked up a Nokian installation tool to stud my Snowshoe XLs. I won't start on studding them yet as I am currently in a cast with a broken ankle. So once I find out from the surgeon next week when I can get back in the bike, I'll see if I need to stud them for this winter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just ordered 500 aluminum studs with carbide tips from Andrew Tubesing on Facebook plus an insertion tool, for $82 shipped.

He advertises in the Fatbike Trader FB group but you can look up his name and message him directly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I just ordered 500 aluminum studs with carbide tips from Andrew Tubesing on Facebook plus an insertion tool, for $82 shipped.

He advertises in the Fatbike Trader FB group but you can look up his name and message him directly.
    My google machine says "No results found for Andrew Tubesing Fatbike Trader"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by k.b. View Post
    My google machine says "No results found for Andrew Tubesing Fatbike Trader"
    Fat Bike Trader is a closed group on Facebook, you have to log in to FB and request to join. Alternately if you log in to FB and just search for his name you'll find him and you can message him. But ask him to message you his ad picture so you can see the specs and pricing. I ordered yesterday and he shipped near immediately!

Here, so you can see, but if you don't have FB I believe you'll need to get it to contact him because his profile doesn't list an email:

Has anyone tried the Chinese tire studs on Ebay?-studs.png
    Last edited by XJaredX; 02-06-2015 at 08:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    I'd like to see a pic of this please.

I just ordered a pair of Floaters

Thanks in advance.
    How would you put the grip studs in the Floaters? I have Floaters and they don't have stud pockets. I am looking to do the same, but might have to do the diy screw method?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWheeler View Post
    How would you put the grip studs in the Floaters? I have Floaters and they don't have stud pockets. I am looking to do the same, but might have to do the diy screw method?
    I don't know either, which is why i asked to see pics.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    I guess the grip studs have screw ends so they go into any tire, the chinese knockoffs have to be pressed into tires that have pockets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I also want to hear feedback from the dyi screw people! Like these Kold Kutters. Who has used them, how did they work, post some pics!

mtbr member
    I ended up getting these 1/4'' Stainless Set Screws.
    I bought an extra set of Floaters when they had their last sale.
    I am going to keep them for summer riding.

100 New Pieces 1 4 20 x 3 8 Hex Socket Stainless Steel Set Screws Cone Tip | eBay
    I bought these 1/4'' stainless set screws to try some DIY studding on my current set of Floaters that only have about 20 miles on them.
    I am too cheap to buy grip studs. I know these won't last as long, but $36 for 300 screws vs $300+ for grip studs it is worth a shot and some have had pretty good luck with these. I don't ride pavement aside from about two hundred yards from the house to the old railroad grade.

Edit: these are too fat. 1/4" is way too wide. Not sure what I was thinking.
    Last edited by DeuceWheeler; 02-16-2015 at 08:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Not a fast process. I'm using a dab of hand sanitizer to ease insertion and working away at it while watching TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Not a fast process. I'm using a dab of hand sanitizer to ease insertion and working away at it while watching TV.

honestly, that looks like fun. I can't wait fro mine to come in from china. they're givin' me the run around right now with shipping delays and the like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Finally done. No doubts about these making good contact. They just howl on the dry pavement.

mtbr member
    very nice.

mtbr member

just finished my rear XL. It looks great. No sanitizer necessary. I just did it in small sessions and had it done in a few hours. Piece of cake for piece of mind.

mtbr member
    and the studs from china are great. I can't wait to get out on them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    just finished my rear XL. It looks great. No sanitizer necessary. I just did it in small sessions and had it done in a few hours. Piece of cake for piece of mind.
    You sir are a beast. I did a third of a tire which was heinous, then I found out about a drop of hand sanitizer on each hole and that turned it into a quick and semi (semi) enjoyable experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWheeler View Post
    I guess the grip studs have screw ends so they go into any tire, the chinese knockoffs have to be pressed into tires that have pockets.
    Sorry so late just saw your request. Grip studs are longer than any of the stud-pocket studs, but $1 each. Knobs on the Floaters just big enough. Tricky to do, I screwed up a couple. The screws are 1/2" with wide flat heads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    R&B - I have the same bike and tires as you and I'm wanting to stud my tires as well. I'm in Edmonton and I was wondering if you had to pay any duty or brokerage fees for those studs purchased from Amazon? I will also buy the Schwalbe 50 pkg. replacement studs for the insertion tool from MEC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Did you end up trying those?
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1
    2010 Giant STP SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    TLDR those studs look highly inferior. I have the D4 studded and they kept me riding and my butt off the ice all winter long. Think of it as an insurance policy, money well spent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    Did you end up trying those?
    i thought i posted yesterday but looks like it didnt go through. those are chinese studs looks like so if going with chinese why not try chinese wide thread studs, similar to grip studs. if i remember correctly they are $.27 per stud. the catch is min. order of 15,000.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

stud source

Fat Bike Trader is a closed group on Facebook, you have to log in to FB and request to join. Alternately if you log in to FB and just search for his name you'll find him and you can message him. But ask him to message you his ad picture so you can see the specs and pricing. I ordered yesterday and he shipped near immediately!

Here, so you can see, but if you don't have FB I believe you'll need to get it to contact him because his profile doesn't list an email:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	studs.png 
Views:	585 
Size:	348.5 KB 
ID:	962065
    ^That's me with the studs on the Fat Bike Trader page. Since there was such an effort to find me here, I thought I'd make it easy... you can still find my stud post on the Facebook FBT page, but I also started a web site for the studs. They're actually flat tip studs now rather than the slightly rounded version shown in the pic above. The new ones are much more aggressive. I also have pointed-tips for those who prefer them. Tools available as well.
    www.BikeStud.com

[BTW, please forgive me if I shouldn't have posted this--it seems a grey area... I surely would not have posted an unsolicited ad, but since there was such effort here to locate my studs, I offer this post to make it easier. I hope that's ok. Even though I don't post often, MTBR is a treasured information resource for me, so please don't ban me, I'll gladly remove this if its a problem. Thanks.]

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    here're some photos of the Axis (Chinese) studs linked above: https://fotki.yandex.ru/users/redis/...08/?ncrnd=5927
    there's a little inconsistency in stud height, extemes shown. A small percentage is lopsided, so it makes sense to buy a little more than you actually need

the dismembered one was broken on purpose by the user in order to extract the tungsten carbide core and see exactly how hard it is - turns out it's hard enough, couldn't be chipped with hand tools

ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/tirestud/
    note that you can haggle the price down a bit (best offer option available)
    The guy'll sell 550 for $50, but it doesn't mean you can get half that for half the price (free shipping ain't free)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I studded D4s last year and D5s this year with those flat tip carbide studs from amazon.ca and bikestud.com. They work pretty good, but are just a bit shorther than 45NRTH studs. Wish someone would already sell concave studs. 45NRTH concave studs are priced insanely high. Flat tip studs work better than pointed tip carbide studs, but neither work as good as concave.
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1
    2010 Giant STP SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I got a couple hundred of these Aluminum/carbide flat-tipped from MN, seem to work well so far... Bicycle Tire Studs - Carbide Tip - Aluminum Body - Qty: 100, 250, 500 | eBay

mtbr member
    I just studded up some d5's with half concave and half from bikestud. The bike stud are a little shorter.

Can't complain about service from bikestud though, within 20 min of my order I had a usps tracking number.

mtbr member

You sir are a beast. I did a third of a tire which was heinous, then I found out about a drop of hand sanitizer on each hole and that turned it into a quick and semi (semi) enjoyable experience.

Poured mine into a bowl, filled bowl with water, they slide right in.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member

Re did my vee snowshoe xls pointed with 100 45nrth down the center 2 lugs and randomly put them in the next outer lugs

Then put in 140 from bikestud to fill the rest.

My rear is a gnarwhal.

Good looking combo for a 177mm hubbed bike, they look similarly treaded. My gnarwhal seems to be stretching closer to 4" wide.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Re did my vee snowshoe xls pointed with 100 45nrth down the center 2 lugs and randomly put them in the next outer lugs

Then put in 140 from bikestud to fill the rest.

My rear is a gnarwhal.

Good looking combo for a 177mm hubbed bike, they look similarly treaded. My gnarwhal seems to be stretching closer to 4" wide.

Did you filled the 220+ holes or just randomly?
    Last edited by manteufel; 12-04-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Live Free & Ride
    Has anyone on here tried a smaller anodized/stainless or black sheet metal screws? Looking for something a bit smaller head than the 3/8 inch Kold Kutters have been using. Was in search of the same length but smaller head with bite. Any ideas on this as I like to just screw studs into the tire better?
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel - sold
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    I put 300 or so of the black sheet metal screws in my kids tires. They worked really well compared to my D5's on an ice rink we tested on. But, at the end of one season with minimal use they were worn down so far there was almost no head left. He did ride maybe 10 miles on bare bike paths etc.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    I put 300 or so of the black sheet metal screws in my kids tires. They worked really well compared to my D5's on an ice rink we tested on. But, at the end of one season with minimal use they were worn down so far there was almost no head left. He did ride maybe 10 miles on bare bike paths etc.
    Yep, that is the issue with non-hardened steel.
    Even Kold Kutters (hardened steel) wear out rather quickly when ridden on dry ground. Need carbide steel for that.
    This would be ideal:
    Kold Kutter shape
    Carbide steel
    Short, wide thread (like Grip Studs)