Has anyone had their fatty fitted?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Has anyone had their fatty fitted?

I know all the roadies get their bikes fitted to them. I'm thinking about getting my Pugsley fitted.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rschreck View Post
    I know all the roadies get their bikes fitted to them. I'm thinking about getting my Pugsley fitted.
    come by my shop, pedal by me a few times and i'll have you fit in a coupla minutes. fo free.

rog

bigger than you.
    when i built my 9:zero:7 back in january, i got fitted on a Retül Zinn system. it changed just about everything that i would have done by intuition- i ended up with a shorter stem, lower bars, higher seat with no setback and adjusted my cleat position. Had the fitter simply told me to put those parts on my bike, i would have told him he was crazy. However, we went through the process very deliberately, checking my body position and mechanics, making adjustments on the Retül fit-bike accordingly and he explained why the changes were necessary and what it would accomplish. Bottom line, the bike is noticeably more comfortable than the bike i had previously and i virtually zero pain during and after rides. i can't recommend getting fitted enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    when i built my 9:zero:7 back in january, i got fitted on a Retül Zinn system. it changed just about everything that i would have done by intuition- i ended up with a shorter stem, lower bars, higher seat with no setback and adjusted my cleat position. Had the fitter simply told me to put those parts on my bike, i would have told him he was crazy. However, we went through the process very deliberately, checking my body position and mechanics, making adjustments on the Retül fit-bike accordingly and he explained why the changes were necessary and what it would accomplish. Bottom line, the bike is noticeably more comfortable than the bike i had previously and i virtually zero pain during and after rides. i can't recommend getting fitted enough.
    How does one go about finding a place to get fitted? Most LBS I've been to seem to just guesstimate how you look sitting on the bike but I want a thorough fitting like you received. Also, ballpark price to get fitted?

bigger than you.
    Retül https://www.retul.com/find-a-fitter/ and Bikefit BikeFit are probably the 2 leading fitting systems.
    A fitting can run anywhere from $75 to $300, depending on the shop/fitter and the intensity of the fit session. Many shops will include a rudimentary fit with the purchase of a bike.
    here is the shop that did my fitting: Bike fitting

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My local shop uses the Retül system. It's spendy though, like $250. And then as you said plus the cost of parts and labor if needed. They also do other types of fittings as well.

I'm asking because I am getting some knee pain in my right knee. Keep in mind the pain started while I was running (I gave up running ultra's because of it and turned to mountain biking) but it is now starting to bother me while riding. Of course I just bought my Pugsley 2 weeks ago and have already put approximately 120 miles on it already. Maybe overuse? The only thing I have changed on the bike are the handlebars. Went to a Jones Loop bar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    come by my shop, pedal by me a few times and i'll have you fit in a coupla minutes. fo free.

rog
    That's one hell of a trek from Texas to New Hampshire just to ride by you a few times man. =)

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rschreck View Post
    My local shop uses the Retül system. It's spendy though, like $250. And then as you said plus the cost of parts and labor if needed. They also do other types of fittings as well.

I'm asking because I am getting some knee pain in my right knee. Keep in mind the pain started while I was running (I gave up running ultra's because of it and turned to mountain biking) but it is now starting to bother me while riding. Of course I just bought my Pugsley 2 weeks ago and have already put approximately 120 miles on it already. Maybe overuse? The only thing I have changed on the bike are the handlebars. Went to a Jones Loop bar.
    i had knee pain as well when i 1st built up my latest fatty (i'd torn my menisci previously) the fit took care of it completely. We discovered that my seat was setback too far and about 25mm too low. Switching to a higher, non-setback post and doing a cleat fit to align my knees made the pain go away.

Talk to them and see if they offer a more basic fit, as compared to the full-on Retül 3d fit. the shop i went to does a $100 fit which includes a visual analysis and basic measurements, but leaves out the imaging sensors and all of the gee-gaws from the 3d fit.

mtbr member
    If you are having knee pain and your shop does fitting, get fitted. Riding a bike with correct position should help strengthen the muscles that support your knee, and a bad riding position can definitely mess it up.

since 4/10/2009
    get fit by a fitter who specifically handles mountain bikers, though. Even moreso if the fitter is a skilled mountain biker himself. You don't want to be fit onto your mountain bike the same way someone would fit you on a road bike.

banned
    Sep 2008
    riding out of the saddle pushing larger gears while using more of your upper body will strengthen your hams and back which will balance out your overdeveloped quads that can lead to knee pain/stress from riding/climbing in the saddle most of the time. i had mucho knee discomfort and lower/mid back issues from ski injuries about 15 years ago. back then, about 40 minutes into any 2+hour race my back would be screaming as me. i started riding fully rigid singlespeeds 13 years ago and haven't had any issues since.

proper bike fit is key, but whole body strength is as well.

rog