Handlebar ? Wide Riser bar vs Jones Loop bar- Mtbr.com
    Trying to be helpful

Handlebar ? Wide Riser bar vs Jones Loop bar

Last edited by Guy.Ford; 07-10-2020 at 09:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    I a bit wary of the narrower width of the Loop bar.
    There is nothing to be wary of. You won't be riding a rigid 29er remotely the same as you ride a DH bike. Whether you'll like it or not is another matter, but lots of people like the Jones bar shape. You really need to try them and see what you think. They are popular enough you won't be stuck with them if you try 'em and don't love 'em.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    There is nothing to be wary of. You won't be riding a rigid 29er remotely the same as you ride a DH bike. Whether you'll like it or not is another matter, but lots of people like the Jones bar shape. You really need to try them and see what you think. They are popular enough you won't be stuck with them if you try 'em and don't love 'em.
    +1

The bar gives me lots of leverage and control on my Pugs. I'd highly recommend ti if you can swing it.

Trying to be helpful

Last edited by Guy.Ford; 07-10-2020 at 09:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Guy Ford

Before you speed some big $ you can go down to your Home Depot or plumbing supply store and
    obtain two 3/4" tee fittings woth a short section of 3/4" pipe.

When home flip your bars to a swept forward position, slide the tee with stubs attatched, on and play around with the feel.

Things will not be the same as a loop bar, but you should be able to discover a little more as to if you
    would like loop bars. Far cheaper.

Heck, if you like the feel, buy the bars with the width, length, and sweep you like and form your own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post

background: On my DH & 6" bikes I tend to run 31.5" wide low rise bars, I like the width and added leverage since I ride single ring on all my bikes.

Also I stand a mash mostly when I climb, I prefer the simplicity and dont mind the work/suffering, but Im not a masochist into single speeds.
    How do you plan to ride the new bike? I have a completely different mindset when I am riding my Fargo vs. my Delirium. The Fargo with Titec H-bars is good for general riding with multiple hand positions. Stand up climbing and tight turns with the Jones style bars tend to feel like the bars are in your lap compared to a wide DH bar. You have to be willing to adapt to the Jones bars to make them work.

There are a few options from Salsa and other companies with 17+ degree sweep and 710mm width available. Add short bar ends to any wide bar and you get another hand position that is excellent for standing and mashing.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    I had a DH background also, but put a Mary bar on my pugs at first. I liked it for slow riding. As I got faster I went to wider DH bars and felt more in control at speed.

I just cruise now and i am on a loop bar, spinning and grinning.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

Trying to be helpful

Last edited by Guy.Ford; 07-10-2020 at 09:24 PM.

mtbr member
    im fully 'jonesed up' and love the loops. clearly its a 29er im riding but love the comfort offered by the loops. i feel much more comfortable when things get sketchy going down. the various positions are useful climbing/in head winds as well. you can run them 'upside down' as well which was the final bit tweaking i did resulting in that 'ahhhh' moment. straight bars feel so awkward/bizarre now.
    well worth a try at least.
    Last edited by octavius; 12-16-2011 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Do try the Loops if you get the chance! I was hooked immediately. Great relief for my wrists and really like the 3 hand positions I use. Mine does see most of its use on road/gravel/snow though. I run a really narrow flat bar on my SS rigid 26er for the trails locally in MN but I run Loops on my Fatbike, my commuter, my cross, my wife's bike and planning one more for my in process Jones SF I think they are a good width for a KM. Mary bars are also a nice riser with similar sweep..