Handle Bar Recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Handle Bar Recommendations?

Went for my second ride on the trail in Lincoln with my Mukluk and could really use better handle bars since the stock ones really hurt after 8 miles of a fairly simple single track. Really not looking for anything terribly fancy but still needs to be able to use the twist shifters unless there are better options.

Lowered the tire pressure (checked at the park and my floor pump said 20psi..relative I know since it's a floor pump) while going around the trail to see what worked for going over roots. Since I'm working harder with the lower pressure and shifting is a PITA, something better would really help.

Lower pressure also changes cornering..nearly lost it once and caught my leg in a thorn bush trying to turn. I had my pressure up much higher last weekend which made for great cornering, but going over roots made for the beach ball effect.

First time going alone on single track since my accident this spring. Had a great time. Hills would still be a bear w/o some decent muscle power though.

mtbr member
    What specifically was hurting? If your wrists are bothering you, you can get the On-One Mary for pretty cheap ~$20 which should be more comfortable and put your hands in a more neutral position.

Just a thought

On-One Mary Bar Handlebar

All fat, all the time.
    I've found anything over about 10 PSI and it's too bouncy. The low-pressure handling is something to get used to.

Handlebars, (& seatpost), anything carbon. reduces so much of the chatter it's great. Next would be squishy fork but that is another story....

mtbr member
    Low-pressure handling is different for sure, but lots of fun once I got the hang of it. It's really just fatigue of my hands being in the same (limited) position and the chattering of the bar that rattles up to your shoulders.

Yeah..that squishy fork would be nice. Another time though.

bored ex-shop rat

Good job!

I love my Titec H-Bar paired with Ergon grips
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000)

mtbr member
    Ergon grips are the answer

Human Test Subject
    I switched to titec h-bars then went back to the stock bars on my moonlander, but i've diagnosed myself with carpal tunnel so my preferences are different. If I decide to stick with the 17 degree bend of the stock i will probably get the carbon version of the same bars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The Surly Open Bars have some flex to them and a nice sweep. I use them on my Pugsley and my Troll with Ergon GP1 grips. They do a pretty good job and have a comfortable hand/shoulder position for myself. They are made of cromoly steel not aluminum, hence the slight flex.

mtbr member
    I sure do love my Jones bars, I happened upon the cut loop ones at the time my bike was on order and since I suck at being patient, I went with them. I like them enough to go full loop when they come available. They wouldn't work well with grip shift though. You saw my thumbies when we rode, I like them. Triggers would be good too, you usually mount those under(as opposed to over top) and in front of the main straight bar.

Glad you had fun! Lower psi has it's positives and it's negatives, you'll have to find that sweet spot of a bit of both.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    The Surly Open Bars have some flex to them and a nice sweep. I use them on my Pugsley and my Troll with Ergon GP1 grips. They do a pretty good job and have a comfortable hand/shoulder position for myself. They are made of cromoly steel not aluminum, hence the slight flex.
    I am really thinking about these bars for my regular mountain bike--Jones--but I worry that they won't be tough enough. Also, I tend to dislike flex on any part of a bike--seatpost aside. What do you think of the Open bar for regular mountain biking?

mtbr member
    Nakedbabytoes,

Yeah, liked the Jones when you showed them to me. That would have to be a Christmas present. Wondering if the trigger shifters would make a difference instead of the twists for now. Surly Open bars look cool.

Other issue is length. LBS had to cut an inch off of both sides for the stock bars.

If I went trigger shifters, what works?

Fat & Single
    After riding 17d backswing Salsa MotoAce bars on my Mukluk, i have ordered 2 sets of 15d On-One Fleegle pro bars for my SS (one to keep for something else), they are running them out at $19 a set.
    The grips will be Ergon GS1, which replaces the worn out GX1's.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Another vote for Mary bars here - I don't whether or not you can put twist grips on but I'm sure someone can confirm one way or another.

I find that the Mary bars put my wrists at a far more comfortable angle, especially for longer distances.
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

bikeboatbrewski
    Have the Al Jones loop bar and did not like it for trail riding, too much angle for me. Surly open bars are just about right but have a lot of flex. I ended up going back to standard bars with mild sweep and have always used triggers for my shifting needs.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Another vote for more sweep.

Like my Jones bars as well. Many of my riding pals either have them, or the 17d Salsa's.

The Salsa Bend bars are nice too, but yes, the steel will give a bit more cush...

My advice on tire pressure, keep dropping till you get self steering starting up front, feels like the bike has a mind of it's own. Come just up from that, and get used to the way it feels. Like someone else said. anything above 10 psi gets crazy...

Soon, you'll find you can plow stuff faster, and use your momentum more since you aren't getting ping ponged all over!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Those Surly open bars are pretty sweet! They remind me of moustache bars that got all confused and grew flat. Like 'em!

Moderator Moderator
    If you are going to get rid of the stock bars anyway, you could try narrowing them first, maybe to 26", which could be a free fix. Having your arms a little closer together would raise your upper body a little bit, putting a little less pressure on your hands. A shorter stem or bars with more rise could also help in the same way. This all depends on how it fits now, too; if you are a bit stretched out on the 19", they are definitely worth considering.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Really liking the Carver MyTi bars, 29 degree sweep i think and Ti so they have some flex.

...big and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    If you are going to get rid of the stock bars anyway, you could try narrowing them first, maybe to 26", which could be a free fix. Having your arms a little closer together would raise your upper body a little bit, putting a little less pressure on your hands. A shorter stem or bars with more rise could also help in the same way. This all depends on how it fits now, too; if you are a bit stretched out on the 19", they are definitely worth considering.

Great advice. I was ready to ditch my Bend 2 bars that came with my Muk2 when I shortened them a bit (5/8") each side to get through the tight twisty tree infested single track nearby. I went with a shorter stem with bit more rise in it and kept tweaking the rotation angle of the bars until I got just right. Finished it off with Ergon GP1's and it's all good.
    Chromey

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    What specifically was hurting? If your wrists are bothering you, you can get the On-One Mary for pretty cheap ~$20 which should be more comfortable and put your hands in a more neutral position.

Just a thought

On-One Mary Bar Handlebar
    I have Mary's on my 9:zero:7 and I like them...of course I have only ridden 1/2 a mile in a parking lot so far LOL. Once I sort my FD I'll be able to go farther...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ditto on keeping the tire pressure under 10psi. I rarely run mine over 8 on anything but pavement. I like wider bars on fat bikes but that's just me. Feels like I have a little more leverage over the thing. Currently using Salsa Big Whammy's. Few guy's on here ride FB's with "Midge" or "Wood Chipper" drops... lot's of position choices there! More bar choices than ever these days! Also, I've changed stems twice and stack hight a few times as well. I like 'em higher in the sand and snow and lower on the dirt. A little T&E should get you there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Bluestatevirgin,

I really like my Surly Open Bars for everything from mtn biking to touring and tooling around. With that being said, my bikes are both rigid forked. The flex is welcome there. But, it is not translated into steering flex, just vertical flex. If I had a semi flexy suspension fork I may not like the bars since there would be too much combined flex. Don't forget, if steel fails it won't do it catastrophically. It will just bend.

I did plop some On-One Mary bars on my Trek Fuel EX though and have yet to really try them on the trail. I wanted something a little stiffer for that ride.

conjoinicorned
    i've always loved mary bars but on the fat bike they are just a perfect match. they are stiff however.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    At the LBS the other day, we put one of the adjustable stems to adjust the height of the bars and it shortened the reach. It really helped put me up higher and took the weight off my shoulders/arms.

I have the Woodchipper bars on my Fargo. Love them and could ride forever with the comfort.

If I go with the Mary bars, I'm assuming I need the smaller size.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Tire pressure is a real key for ride and comfort. I have no issues with lower pressure handling at all. I really don't notice any issues with cornering or anything, but you sure do with ride quality, and it's nice to have the tires on the ground for grip.

I've never had terrible wrist pain, but there are times of definite discomfort, and I always have 15-30 minutes of numbness. I just ordered a Mary from Planet X. Thanks for the link, Bob. I had considered them for some time, but had not gone so far as to source them. Great price on the Mary, and cheap Titus stems too. One thing I tried was going back from 31.8 to 25.4 bars to see if the flex that I dumped them for on a full susser would be of benefit on a rigid bike. Yep, works. Very much worth a little flex for more comfort.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I run the mary bars from on one. price is great and build is sweet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Handle Bar Recommendations?-fsb-bars.jpg  

Handle Bar Recommendations?-fsb-bars-side.jpg  

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Don't the Muks come with 11deg bars. For a lot of people more sweep doesn't translate to comfort. If the 11deg is bothering you and you're used to a straighter flat bar you might want to go back to what you're used to.

Geordie biker
    I liked the 17 degree sweep on the salsa bars but decided I wanted more comfort, hence switched to Ti moots bars, with a 8 degree sweep.

2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    After riding my Fargo down the crushed limestone trail after some fool had used his tractor down part of it, I think a large part of the comfort is the rigid fork. Even though I have the Woodchipper 2 bars, I was hurting after about 6 miles or so.

Fargo hasn't really been ridden off-road so I haven't had a chance to compare rides. I went out yesterday for a ride since I hadn't been out there for a couple of weeks. Since we haven't had rain, the crushed trail has cracks and bumps and now the farmers who are harvesting are crossing the trail to get to their crops. It was a rough ride for the 17 mile round trip.

Obviously a rigid fork on a rough or single track trail will take some getting used to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I roll with some 780mm wide Race Face Bars...

did 44 miles on saturday with no problems

Wider is better!

Perpetual n00b
    On-One Fleegle 720mm 15 if you're a larger person, Fleegle Pro 660mm 15 if you're smaller.

I have a Fleegle on my 29er. Love it. Ordered an extra one just in case, plus they are on sale for 20 bucks and I'm paranoid they might be discontinuing them. Also got a Fleegle Pro for the wife. Riser bars with standard sweep don't seem to work too well on big wheels (for us).

mtbr member
    I put salsa 11 degree flat bars on mine and they are pretty good. I had Jones bars on there but it made me sit up to straight. Was hurting my back with the two herniated discs siting to vertical. I got it slammed now and it took the pressure off my back.

Handle Bar Recommendations?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1347501992.695053.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 3