Greetings & Info- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Smile Greetings & Info

Hello,
    just get my first fatty so nice to meet you all

I've bought a 2014 Surly Moonlander,it's an awesome bike and very funny to ride.

I need an info:
    I've noticed a little scuff on the chainstay up front,near the crank and behind the chain rings (a little over the chainstay protector I've put on), maybe it has occurred for a chain suck when I have adjust the derailleur...I would to know if I have to warry about rust (scuff is little and I can't judge if it's deep enought to over the paint and reach the steel).

Also I would to know if marks, scuffs, dents and scratches can compromise the frame stability in someway...I ask this 'cause I know for the purpose these bikes are built they are destinated to collect'em a bit

Thanks in advance for your replies

nothing to see here
    Welcome Grosso! You don't have to worry about the rust being a structural weakening problem. Just clean it off and touch it up with a little paint. It does sound like a chain suck mark.

As to your second question, you only need to be concerned about dents. These must be assessed on a case by case basis, as they're all different depending on the deformation and location on the frame. Cross that bridge if or when you come to it.

Don't put too much energy into worrying about these little things. Put your energy into riding your bike more.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

bigger than you.
    ride the dang bike, don't worry. that is all.