Great deals building my son's fat bike.- Mtbr.com
    turtles make me hot

Great deals building my son's fat bike.

My 10 year old has been itching for a fatty since the moment I finished mine. Last fall, at a Salsa trial day, he rode a small Beargrease carbon and tore up a ride that he usually has a little trouble with on his 26er hardtail.
    I got him a 2014 9zero7 black ano frame and fork for Christmas. Ended up with a medium because he's huge for his age and no sign of slowing down. That, with Raceface bars, stem and post was 500 bucks since 9zero7 already had released the new tapered headset frame with 150mm fork.
    I got a Raceface Ride crankset for 90 bucks on Ebay... All fat and ready to go.
    My son went crazy for gold ano Marge Lites that were in the shop for a long time.
    Here's where I'm really proud of myself... I saw on Wolftooth's page that they have a 26 tooth NW 64bcd ring and a 104 bcd bash guard. Fits the Raceface cranks and I'm pretty sure it'll give him all the range he needs without going to a One Up. We'll be running an XT 11-36 cassette. Picked up the ring and bash... Not cheap, but I needed those parts anyway and the quality is nothing short of awesome.
    Front hub: BHS 135mm fat hub. Light and very nice. 88 bucks.
    Rear hub is a Salsa 190mm convertible hub. Cost about the same as a Hope Fatsno, but it was available that day.
    I'll post pics when I get back to work. I'm laid up right now.
    I'm very happy that I'm able to build a quality fat bike without cutting corners. This thing is going to be NICE when it's all done.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sounds like an awesome build! My 9 year old (10 tomorrow!) has an XS Pugsley since last summer. He is now begging me to get a lefty for it...

I bought his used for $900 ready to go, a 2013 Pugs that was like new. :-)
    His Salsa Horsethief trail bike is a M also - he got it for X-mas and he is growing like a weed. The XS Pugs will probably only fit him this year... He is already 5'2" tall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You might like turtles but you love your son.
    Both of you are blessed to have a lifelong activity you can share with your sons.
    Congratulation's to the birthday boy!

mtbr member

Great deals building my son's fat bike.

Wow surprised he can ride a medium. I am 5'10 and was thinking about a medium 907 from my medium Mukluk.
    The stand over is so important in snow. I have racked myself loads of times in summer and winter since I don't have the swaled top tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    Sounds like an awesome build! My 9 year old (10 tomorrow!) has an XS Pugsley since last summer. He is now begging me to get a lefty for it...

I bought his used for $900 ready to go, a 2013 Pugs that was like new. :-)
    His Salsa Horsethief trail bike is a M also - he got it for X-mas and he is growing like a weed. The XS Pugs will probably only fit him this year... He is already 5'2" tall.
    There is a nice Lefty with a marge lite at a great price on Fat Bike Trader FB.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    Wow surprised he can ride a medium. I am 5'10 and was thinking about a medium 907 from my medium Mukluk.
    The stand over is so important in snow. I have racked myself loads of times in summer and winter since I don't have the swaled top tube.

He can stand over it now, but by the time we see snow again, it'll be perfect.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    A couple of my friends are 5'10" and ride Larges. I'm 6'5" on an XL and I have a LOT of seatpost exposed. I'd say the 907s run small. May want to try and sit on one before you buy if possible.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Captlink View Post
    You might like turtles but you love your son.
    Both of you are blessed to have a lifelong activity you can share with your sons.
    Congratulation's to the birthday boy!
    That's funny you mention sharing riding with sons. I love telling this story: My son's first trail bike was a 20" GF Precal that I converted to 1x8XT, old school XT hubs, Velocity rims, XT V brakes... All stuff off one of my old bikes (except the 20" rims).
    When he outgrew the bike, I really didn't want to break it down or sell it. I liked it. I asked him what he though.t He was 7 at he time. He said let's keep it so one day, if I have a boy, he can ride it. I was blown away.
    They're gonna need new tires by then.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    yes

mtbr member
    I'm really looking forward to seeing pics of this build. I'm on the fence right now about a fatty for my almost 8 year old (tall kid - really good riding skills). Seeing pics of kids on the Spec 24" fatboy and the Mini-sota, they just look too small with tons of toe overlap. Then you add in the crappy gearing and it almost makes them obsolete out of the box for the terrain around here. If I got a 24" now, spring is here, I think it'd be too small by next snow season. His 24" Rocky Mountain that he's only been on for one season is showing signs of being outgrown. Patience, not my greatest virtue, is going to have to come into play on this one.

turtles make me hot
    Yeah. I waited past the 24" stuff so I could build his bike really nice and just up the fame size as he grows.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    There is a nice Lefty with a marge lite at a great price on Fat Bike Trader FB.
    As I just paid for my Bucksaw this week there is no $$ in the bike account to buy anything...