mtbr member
    Jun 2018

New question here. Gravity vs. Motobecane vs. Framed vs. ?

Hey fellow Fat bike Fanatics!

I'm on a quest to buy a budget Fat bike and I've narrowed it down to 3 or 4 choices. I did do a forum search, but found no direct comparisons of these bikes.

This will be my first fat bike, and my intended use is to be winter riding...in Wisconsin we get a lot of opportunity for that. But if it's fun, I may bomb around on it in the summer too.

My budget is about $700 +/- $50

All the bikes below, hit my budget mark & offer free shipping.

Bullseye Gravity Monster LTD (Cheapest on the list, but does get a lot of love in the Gravity thread).
    Save Up to 60% Off Front Suspension Equipped Fat Bikes, BullsEye Monster LTD Fat Mountain Bikes

Bullseye Gravity Monster XX (Only 1X drivetrain in my budget).
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes - Gravity 2018 Bullseye Monster XX SRAM GX 1x10 Drivetrain Fat Bikes, Mountain Bikes

Motobecane Boris X7 (Nice looking frame, decently equipped).
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X7 SRAM

Framed Minnesota 2.0 (I could support the "little guy" company, it's a 5 hour drive from me, though I'm guessing the frame is imported).
    https://www.framedbikes.com/products...12690616156211

Are there any other bikes I should be looking at, in my price range?

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    I think you should spend a little time reading this thread to find other possible options at your pricepoint.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fat...ks-937739.html

Framed is The House branded fat bikes and the cheaper offerings are on par with what BD is offering. I think you should, if you have an idea, compare them based on the differing geo numbers first, then find the one with the spec you want. There are people here that enjoy their BD and Framed fatties, but there are also some that will tell you look for a used bike at a higher quality level. I will also say that you will do better with one of these if you can do some of your own wrenching. Some LBS shops might frown upon working on these bikes since they didn't or wouldn't sell them.

My experience with Framed was positive, but I did have some warranty exchanges and sold it for something else after a season. I think my experience would have been the same with BD. If I had purchased a Pugsley when they were on super warehouse clearance, I think I would still be riding the Pugsley.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Awesome, Thanks!

I'll give that thread a read through!

mtbr member
    For a winter bike, any of the above are comparable. Pick a color and have fun. I have a boris, a friend has the gravity. Both are good. My only real advise is to avoid the vee mission tires. They work, but there are a lot of tires that work much better.

For a summer bike, suspension upgrade is worth it, and you can find a used or new rigid fatbike fork and swap it out in the winter. If I were to buy a new fatbike right now, thisis what Id get.

Save up to 60% off new Rockshox Bluto Fork Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 2018 Boris FS NX SRAM NX 1X11
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Professional Crastinator
    I have a Sturgis Bullet. I wanted to fit big tires, have low gears, and thru-axles, with high ground clearance, upright riding position, and slack(ish) steering. I got all that, but it's a bit heavy. It's a super-capable pedal tractor.

I would strongly suggest a bike that has more and lower gears. The 30x36 on the Monster XX is probably not low enough for some serious trail breaking. BUT, if the frame can't fit a big snow tire like a 4.8" Lou, having the lower gears probably would not help anyway. If you have groomed snow trails near you, you'll be fine on any one of the bikes you picked. You have to keep up on maintenance, though. If you have the patience to hunt for a used bike, you might like other options.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I have a Sturgis Bullet. I wanted to fit big tires, have low gears, and thru-axles, with high ground clearance, upright riding position, and slack(ish) steering. I got all that, but it's a bit heavy. It's a super-capable pedal tractor.

I would strongly suggest a bike that has more and lower gears. The 30x36 on the Monster XX is probably not low enough for some serious trail breaking. BUT, if the frame can't fit a big snow tire like a 4.8" Lou, having the lower gears probably would not help anyway. If you have groomed snow trails near you, you'll be fine on any one of the bikes you picked. You have to keep up on maintenance, though. If you have the patience to hunt for a used bike, you might like other options.

-F
    Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I have the 2018 Motobecane Boris FS NX SRAM 1-11 Bluto and love it now but was not happy at all when I first got it. The price point was great and the frame and drivetrain is good but the tires and wheels were crap. When I say crap I mean real GARBAGE. The rear hub had old style ball bearings that were not sealed and had cracked/defective races in them. The front hubs don't even have bearings but rather steel bushings with tons of drag. The rims were not tubeless compatible and even the ghetto tubeless method would not work. The tires were also not tubeless compatible.

I ended up spending $650 for a pair of Surly Other Brother Daryl 80mm rims, Salsa sealed hubs, DT Swiss spokes, & Vee Bulldozer 4.7" tires. I set the tires up as tubeless with nylon rim strips instead of heavy rubber and ultra light weight Orange Seal air tight tape. Now I love this thing. I have only had it for three months and ride it every weekend on local trails. Just waiting for it to snow here in Pennsylvania so I can ride it for the reason I purchased it.

I dropped 7.2 lbs. by changing out the wheels, tires, seat post, handle bars, & going tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks for all the help guys! There was lots to look at.

I ended up going with the Gravity Bullseye Monster LTD, got it for a great price, it checked many of my boxes, and didn't break the bank!

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by BassistBiker View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys! There was lots to look at.

I ended up going with the Gravity Bullseye Monster LTD, got it for a great price, it checked many of my boxes, and didn't break the bank!
    Seal that bad boy up with grease (headset, bottom bracket, hubs, cables), and you will have lotsa fun.
    Congrats!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Seal that bad boy up with grease (headset, bottom bracket, hubs, cables), and you will have lotsa fun.
    Congrats!

-F
    Thanks! It'll be here Friday! So stoked.

And yeah, I saw over in the GBM thread that lots of people we greasing theirs up...apparently they ship with little/no grease where there should be some.

I still have to figure out what grease I need, and find out what size cone wrenches I need to pop the hubs apart and grease them up (I really should just buy a set of cone wrenches).

mtbr member
    Park Tool Polylube, 6 bucks a bottle. Cone wrenches 14 and 15 maybe?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Park Tool Polylube, 6 bucks a bottle. Cone wrenches 14 and 15 maybe?
    Can I use the Polylube for all my bearings, like headset too? or is there specific grease for each type?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I use it for pretty much everything. I use it on my seat tube instead of anti-seize for example. There are higher grade lubes from Park and others, Phil Wood makes a good one too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Awesome, thank you!

I still have to purchase a few tools before Friday, I'll add some lube to the list!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BassistBiker View Post
    Thanks! It'll be here Friday! So stoked.

And yeah, I saw over in the GBM thread that lots of people we greasing theirs up...apparently they ship with little/no grease where there should be some.

I still have to figure out what grease I need, and find out what size cone wrenches I need to pop the hubs apart and grease them up (I really should just buy a set of cone wrenches).
    I'd get the set of cone wrenches that generally comes 13-19mm I think. Most front hubs use a 13/15 or 13/17 combo and a typical rear is 15/17. And those other ones just come in handy for other things. I got my spin doctor cone wrenches ages ago, have rebuilt 100's of bikes, 1000's of hubs and they are starting to finally wear out and I should replace them.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    I'd get the set of cone wrenches that generally comes 13-19mm
    Yep, found a Park Tools set locally (the double ended type), it covers 13-18, these are a bit smaller than the full size wrenches, but I don't need to put tons of load on the bearings, so shorter/smaller works just fine for me, I'm stopping on my way home to grab them, plus a few other things!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!

mtbr member
    I use marine axle grease (boat trailer axles) for pretty much every ball bearing on my bikes. Water proof (resistant at least) and it's grease.

And don't shy away from the $50 toolkit from Jenson. has all the bottom bracket, hub, chainbreaker, etc... tools to tear down a bike. Might not have the external bearing bottom bracket tool or press fit bearing tools, but everything else for a lower $$$ bike should be there.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Iíve had experience with two Bikes Direct bikes for family members and they were quite nice and well equipped for the price. Lots of people dog BD on this site because their direct to customer business model upsets the status quo of spending too much on over priced, made in China, big name bikes at the local bike shop. The direct to customer business model is great for those who live in remote areas and donít have a local bike shop nearby.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    +1 for polylube but really just walk into a lbs and ask for any multi purpose grease. I've used all varieties over the years. No matter what they give you it's gonna be inexpensive but worthwhile.

Bought a MB Boris X7 for the gf a few years back so that she could get into mtb. I figured for the price point, if she hated it I could easily list it on CL and make back most of the money. I also had a 2014 Fantom Pro 29er that was pretty sweet and I liked it a lot, but ultimate sold it because it was a slightly large fit.

Learn how to work on your bikes yourself and do it as much as possible, because it is inevitable that if you take a motobecane into a shop, you are going to get either sh*t service or arrogant comments. I even had the worst customer service of my life when a shop CUT my cranks off to service a BB, and blamed motobecane for installing them incorrectly... (They also did all of this without my consent and tried charging me $200 for $80 replacement FSA cranks).

Anyway... 2.5 years later the gf is still on the X7 and loves it. Like others have said, replace the heavy bits. Wheelset can come later if you really want it. GF is very petite (105lbs) and is whipping a 30lb fattie. Did do a split tube conversion though. I think you will be plenty happy with the value of a BD bike. Particularly if you are getting into the sport. There is plenty of room to grow with these bikes and are very good platforms.

Happy riding!

edit: forgot to add that the bulk of the riding is done in new england. So lots of roots, rocks, and mud. The tires that come stock are...meh. Run those until bald and swap em. We also ride in the southwest when we go home to visit family and the vee tires are infinitely better when spinning fast in sand and dry dusty soil.