Gravity Bullseye Monster PRO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Gravity Bullseye Monster PRO

Hey guys,
    I've been lurking and reading a bit. My background is mostly bmx/skatepark riding but every now and then I like to go hit the local singletrack trails. I have a Diamondback Overdrive 29er with some upgrades and hardly rode it. I liked being able to roll over everything but didn't care for the lack of response trying to dodge trees in some tight areas of singletrack. I'm 29, 6'3" and about 175 if that helps with decisions/options.

I've been eyeing the Bullseye Monster Pro at BD for 1000 shipped. It comes with the Bluto, which I'd probably upgrade to on a cheaper bike anyways and $1g seems like a fairly good deal. I'm not 100% sold on getting it but I don't plan on spending much more on my next mtn bike. There's always things to swap/upgrade on a out-of-the-box complete anyways.

Anyone rockin one of these or have any thoughts or opinions on another option?

Save Up to 60% Off Rockshox Bluto Equipped Fat Bikes, BullsEye Monster PRO Fat Mountain Bikes

Thanks in advance fellas

mtbr member
    My buddy has one and loves it. It happens to be in my garage right now. Seems like a lot of bike for the money. I had a diamond back Overdrive and absolutely hated it. The Bullseye monster Pro is way more bike.

mtbr member
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks swerny. notice how I said bullseye monster PRO and not the non bluto version? And I have read through a few pages of that thread, no mention of the pro model on the pages I've seen. Which is why I posted this.

Thanks blown240, I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So no one else has bought one of these? If others have passed this up, what do others prefer in this price range instead?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kcdirtbro54 View Post
    So no one else has bought one of these? If others have passed this up, what do others prefer in this price range instead?
    I own one and love it. Cheapest bluto equipped fat bike available. If you ride any downhill the Bluto fork is a must. If you don't need the Bluto fork, look elsewhere.

I've got just over 800 miles on it and have ridden it on singletrack and through various levels of snow and its been a blast. No problems whatsoever and I ride it hard. The brakes and X7 drivetrain are more than capable IMO. People crap on BB5s but with the larger rotor in the front it works fine for me.

The only two bad things I can say about it are the V8 tires suck in the snow and you cannot mount anything larger than a 4" tire in the rear. I switched to On One Floaters and have no desire to change anything else. The bike has been awesome and I've only got about $1100 in it after the tire change.

I've test ridden Farley's, Pugs, Fatboys, and Mukluks. The Monster Pro is not as nice as a Fatboy but its on par with the Farley at more than half the cost.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the input!
    A majority of my riding will be single track will very little elevation change (yay Kansas!). There is one trail about an hour away that's higher difficulty with lots of elevation change that I'd hit on a rate occasion. I'm not sure how much snow it'll see since we don't get much here.
    I just know I'm over the lack of responsiveness my 29er had and fat bikes are the new craze and seem very entertaining. I haven't had a chance to ride one yet because the LBS around here either doesn't have any or only have the small sizes built and on hand. They also won't recommend anything to you under $1000 no matter what type/level/interest in riding you are.
    Last edited by kcdirtbro54; 04-12-2015 at 07:32 AM.

mtbr member
    If your ever going to want a front shock, and $1000 is your limit, buy this bike. If you don't think you'll want a fork, rethink it, then do it again. If you really don't want a bluto, look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    I'm at a toss-up of this or the boris X9. I like the look of the X9, but in the long run, I think I'll go with the Bluto. It looks like the 150 thru-axle will be the standard for front fat wheels. Now if they can figure out the standard for rear wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So can someone tell me if this wheelset will work with replacement of the front brake rotor to a 160mm if I put it on the bullseye monster pro?
    On Sale Framed Fattie Slims 29" x 2" Hybrid/Slicks Wheel Set up to 40% off

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kcdirtbro54 View Post
    So can someone tell me if this wheelset will work with replacement of the front brake rotor to a 160mm if I put it on the bullseye monster pro?
    On Sale Framed Fattie Slims 29" x 2" Hybrid/Slicks Wheel Set up to 40% off
    Comes with rotors so, you wouldn't need any.

Man, for a 100 bucks,??? Why not?

135/170 hub spacing is correct for (my) Bullseye Monster.
    The rear cassette (might) have to be spaced (if your not running 9s)

And "hear" stuff about front hubs with (rear, no 4mm off-set) spacing?
    Think that is a way for the 135/135 boys to run two rear wheels?

They would be "cheap and heavy" but compared to the 8.5lb. (front) 26x4's?

JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    They come with rotors AND a Sram cassette.

That's 25 bucks right there, tubes, rim strips, tires?

50 dollar wheels???

(EDIT) Bluto has a 150 thru-axle so I with draw above comments.

29x2'son a suspended fork?
    Could buy a cheap steel replacement.

JM

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Here's where my noob-ness shows more in the mtb world. The thru axle and the quick release stuff. The bluto has the thru axle and this cheap wheelset had quick release.. does that make this cheap wheelset incompatible with the bike?
    I'm not concerned with the 29er wheel weight.
    I'd like to have 1 bike with 2 wheelsets instead of 2 complete bikes. Use the 29 slicks for commuting and fatties for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by kcdirtbro54; 04-17-2015 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Thru axle and qr are too different things. You have 2 options. Get a wheel set that is 10mm thru axle, or get a different fork for the 9mm wheel set.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well so much food this bike. I was hoping to get the monster pro plus the framed wheelset and be in it 1100 with 2 setups. Looks like I'm back to the drooling board bergen the Sturgis bullet and framed Alaskan then later on pick up BD's $250 wheelset And be in it much more than 1100

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    long time reader/first time responder-cause I have a monster Pro. As a long long time rider I have to say for the cash this bike is a smoking deal. You couldn't build this bike for the price yourself.(what I used to do) While not a high end bike of any notion its all they say in the BD ads. The deal is though, if your na´ve about how "heavy" the fat wheels are or just how big that Q factor is, ride a heavy fat bike first. There are a ship load of little dial-ins like tire psi, front and back, Bluto settings, and saddle height and fit, and pedals to deal with the q factor. There is a learning curve they aren't going to tell you in a sales ad. I'm still dialing but I think the bike has potential to be a good ride. All that said you can spend on the tires for 120 tpi and tubeless conversions but that stock rear wheel is fat. And heavy. I don't think a tire/tubeless change would make a significant difference in rear end weight if that all your after. All that said, good luck finding a Bluto fatbike new for 1k.

mtbr member
    Yup good point phoolish. Had my first real technical single track ride on by GBEM (not pro) today and it was tough. Lots of twistys, roots, log obstacles and bridges that were challenging. I felt so slow and unskilled.

I am getting used to the weight of the bike. I don't know about you guys but the effort I had to exert pushing around all of that bike was significant and it put me at a disadvantage to the 29ers I was riding with. My tire pressure was too high at 23 psi (max lol) so I took some air out and that made going over the roots easier. Self-steer was noticeable and I felt like the front end was squirrly a lot.

There is a learning curve with a fat bike probably just like any other bike. I am new to mtb in general so I am learning how to mtb and fat bike at the same time.

KC don't go back to the drooling board, lol. But seriously, don't fret, I am sure you could find another set of slimmer 29er wheels for this bike. There are a ton of reasonable options out there. How about a set from BD? At least you know they will fit. Did you buy the PRO already and now you are thinking of returning it?

I can tell you guys on the trail today the lack of a Bluto was the last thing on my mind, in fact I am glad I did not have the extra weight of it. Being out of shape, learning mtb and fat biking at once were more on my mind. That being said, if a Bluto could help me ride better by either making the ride more comfortable and/or letting my deal with obstacles more elegantly then it is more worth it. As you guys have said, the GBEM PRO is an incredible deal no matter how you look at it.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2015 Motobecane Grand Record
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No thinking of returning it here. I'm pretty happy with the pro. I've shaved about 2lbs of rotating weight off by swapping tires and tubes. I made some adjustments with my front derailleur so it's silky smooth now. I'm waiting on my riser bars to come in (backordered) then once I get used to that, I may or may not change out stems.
    Other than that. I'm set to keep rockin and rollin this thing

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    H
    Quote Originally Posted by soarftb View Post
    Yup good point phoolish. Had my first real technical single track ride on by GBEM (not pro) today and it was tough. Lots of twistys, roots, log obstacles and bridges that were challenging. I felt so slow and unskilled.

I am getting used to the weight of the bike. I don't know about you guys but the effort I had to exert pushing around all of that bike was significant and it put me at a disadvantage to the 29ers I was riding with. My tire pressure was too high at 23 psi (max lol) so I took some air out and that made going over the roots easier. Self-steer was noticeable and I felt like the front end was squirrly a lot.

There is a learning curve with a fat bike probably just like any other bike. I am new to mtb in general so I am learning how to mtb and fat bike at the same time.

KC don't go back to the drooling board, lol. But seriously, don't fret, I am sure you could find another set of slimmer 29er wheels for this bike. There are a ton of reasonable options out there. How about a set from BD? At least you know they will fit. Did you buy the PRO already and now you are thinking of returning it?

I can tell you guys on the trail today the lack of a Bluto was the last thing on my mind, in fact I am glad I did not have the extra weight of it. Being out of shape, learning mtb and fat biking at once were more on my mind. That being said, if a Bluto could help me ride better by either making the ride more comfortable and/or letting my deal with obstacles more elegantly then it is more worth it. As you guys have said, the GBEM PRO is an incredible deal no matter how you look at it.
    You won't be able to stay with your 29er friends on hardpack, so you need to get over that. However, if you take your 29er friends on rocky, sandy, and loose conditions, you will go twice as fast with half the effort.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm curious if you actually feel the difference in the wheels and ride with the rotation weight loss. Everyone knows rotational weight is important! But those 80mm rims are heavy whatever is on them. You can shave weight with tires but a pig rim and wheel are still a pig rim...and then you flat a mile from the finish...but thats another thread...Not being confrontational, just I've been there and done that many times in the past with other wheels. For me upgrades are awesome when they actually do something to help the ride. BTW ego stroke spending is awesome too, when you can afford it! Lol!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Also I plan on tubeless just cause I haven't rode tubeless in ten years I think. Don't know if there would any weight savings, just got to do it...or go back to rim brakes and rigid bikes...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I can't say it's like riding a completely new bike with the small amount of weight loss. The ride is a little better due to upgrading the tire quality from the Vee tires that were on it.
    Coming from a BMX background and riding 30-40lb bikes growing up, the weight of this bike doesn't bother me. I'm all for shedding weight on a bike, but I don't have the deep pockets for carbon and ti stuff. I'm glad I've got it down to 36-even with the Bluto and that's about where my weight loss will stop. Sure, I'll weigh it when other parts are swapped but weight won't be my first choice in future upgrades.

Of course it'd be nice to build a wheelset to chop down another couple pounds, but I'd rather not spend nearly the price of the bike on wheels since this isn't my main or only rider (I hit the skatepark with my bmx bikes as much as possible)

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    "Tubes" in ten years...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What size frame do you ride? What tires and tubes did you swap out to? Mine is a 20" like all of my bikes. Wondering if I should have done a 18" with a foot plus of seat post lol!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I bought a 20" but could have easily bought the 22". I'm 6'4 so was right in the middle of the sizing chart (BD doesn't have the correct chart posted on the GBEM Pro just fyi).
    Being a bmx guy, I went with the smaller option just for easier maneuverability.

I swapped out the Vee 4.0 tires for a Fat B nimble 4.0 Kevlar bead front and an Origin8 Captiv8r 3.5 rear (same thing as sunlite crusher but $20-30 cheaper). And I used Q-tubes 2.4-2.7 tubes that many on here have swapped to.

mtbr member
    What's your inseam? I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam, and concerned the 22" will have too high a standover.

If you haven't seen it, bikesdirect showed a picture on their facebook page of a gravity fatbike with the RST fork. Not a huge fan of the RST fork, but the bike looked good. Kind of like the Ice Cream Truck purple.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch R. View Post
    H

You won't be able to stay with your 29er friends on hardpack, so you need to get over that. However, if you take your 29er friends on rocky, sandy, and loose conditions, you will go twice as fast with half the effort.
    Thanks Mitch, makes me feel like I could one day hang. A lot of posts I read here are like "Oh yeah, I keep up with my 29ers and sometimes smoke them".
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm 6'4 and wear 34" pants, I'd probably be ok with 33" if companies made them more often. I was concerned with the 22 standover as well which is another reason I chose the 20. I'm confident I could ride the 22 with no issues even with the extra standover. Might have a few close calls from time to time if you know what I mean, but otherwise it'd be ok.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

none

the 20 inch frame has worked out really well for me
    Last edited by phoolish; 10-28-2015 at 05:28 PM.

mtbr member
    KC, are there through axles on both the front and rear or just the front? The wording of the BD blurb says just front but the specs says both. Thanks.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thru axle up front, QR in back

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Not much said about the pro lately. I have to throw out that mine is kicking ship and taking names. I love this thing. I call it "no ego". Just ride and smile as my old Salsa's say!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not much to say. I put my carbon riser bars and 90mm stem on last week and just ordered a 32t ring, bash guard and n gear jump stop to do my 1x10 conversion.
    No complaints

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Had any brand snobs sniffle at the Gravity logos? I read in the other Monster thread guys are using decals to cover the logos. I have to laugh cause in the mid 2000's I had a BD Moto Fly that I had built with my own kit powder coated white. I put a LBS sticker kit on it and fooled all the local brand snobs. 23 lb hardtail my size in those days was pretty impressive. Ah, memories...but I digress, any snob issues?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I haven't had a chance to hit the trails yet. It's taken them a bit to dry out from the downpours of rain we got a few weeks ago and I've been busy. On the road I get a lot of people rubber necking at the sight of the bike. The big LBS in town would definitely be the place to go to get some snob remarks. It doesn't bother me. I'm the one that has to ride the bike and my wallet pays for it, not theirs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have the Bullseye Monster Pro, has anyone tried putting 4.25" tires? It seems like it will fit, just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You'll have no problem up front. Not sure about in back. I'd think you'd be ok

mtbr member
    In the pictures on the GBEM Pro the front end looks really raised up with the Bluto. Has anyone who own the bike experienced this increased stack size and is it an issue? Thanks.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    It is taller, but the Pro has a different frame than the regular Monster, so the difference in height doesn't really matter.

mtbr member
    Here is a pic of my buddies BEMPro. Even with the Bud 4.8 in the front, it doesn't feel too high.

mtbr member
    holy flying batman $hit balls. that's a big tire. Any idea of the head tube angle with the bluto and the bud's on there? Looks fun pointed downhill, but I think I'd hate having to climb with it.

mtbr member
    It climbs surprisingly well. But my viewpoint may be off since I usually ride a FS bike. Ill have to measure the angle at some point. Not sure what it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I read on a sizing chart somewhere on BD before I bought mine to add an inch to standover for a Bluto equipped bike. I go searching for it now and can't find it. That was one of the factors in me choosing a 20 over a 22. But after riding my 20, I know I wouldn't have any issues on a 22. I choose the 20 for a smaller, whippable bike too. I'm rocking a carbon fork on mine at the moment and haven't had any issues there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    What's your inseam? I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam, and concerned the 22" will have too high a standover.

If you haven't seen it, bikesdirect showed a picture on their facebook page of a gravity fatbike with the RST fork. Not a huge fan of the RST fork, but the bike looked good. Kind of like the Ice Cream Truck purple.
    I have a 14" one in "Grape Soda"

Havin a blast on it soo far, even the RST seems to work fine for me as im only 108lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster PRO-20151001_144305-1-.jpg  

Last edited by 5TOEZ; 10-01-2015 at 02:36 PM.

Rocks belong
    Is the G BEM Pro a 30.9 or 27.2 seat post?

Thanks in advance
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Rocks belong
    Bueller?

Rocks belong
    Hmmm...