Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gravity Bullseye Monster

511K views 3K replies 263 participants last post by  iliketexmex 
#1 ·
Finally got my bullseye monster, and I wanted to post my thoughts about it, but there dont seem to be any threads about the specific models that bikes direct offers.

The bike went together pretty smoothly and was lighter than I expected it to be. I will publish the weight when I get around to putting it on a scale, but it was abouth the same weight as (maybe even a little less than) last year's pug. I will ballpark it around 35lbs.

The stem and possibly the handle bars will be replaced soon. Its way too long right now and wider bars are always a plus.

The bike had a minor scratch on the down tube from where the front rim was attached for shipping. It doesn't really bother me, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Here's the bike next to last year's pug (14" frame). The head angle looks much steeper on the Gravity. Not sure what the actual number is for the Bullseye, but for reference I know the pug is a 70.0 degree HTA.

The mission on a 50mm rim next to a nate on a 65mm Marge lite. Both supposedly 4.0, although the nate seems significantly wider in addition to being much more aggressive.

First impression is that its a good start. It doesn't ride nearly as well as the pug does, but in addition to costing less than a third what the pug did, I haven't spent much time dialing it in yet. There are a lot of things im going to do to it, first I need to cut the seat post down, because even inserted as far as it will go, its still at least a full inch higher than I want it. Next will be trying to get some power out of the brakes. Even after bedding them in, they are unbearably weak. I have ridden other bikes with the novelas and know that they can be much more powerful. When set up correctly they can feel as good as a bb7. I will try hitting the rotors with brake cleaner, if that doesn't work I will sand the pads down a bit. Also the rear rim is out of true and the front one has a pretty noticeable hop. it's nothing i cant fix but kinda annoying that i have to work on the wheels of a brand new bike.
I was torn between this and the Boris x9, but didn't have the means to get the more expensive bike. I will report back after putting some more miles on the bike, but so far I am a little underwhelmed. I just remind myself that it was only $500 and remember that I have nothing to complain about. I think it is the best way that money could be spent, because it gets you a good, ridable platform to begin with and will allow me to upgrade parts as I need to.

See less See more
#4 ·
New handebars are a given and I would think cutting the stem and degreasing the brakes would be free, so things will improve pretty quickly. I'd add that the paint isn't very tough so I really wouldn't care about the scratch. Sorry to hear about the wheels, and I'd be interested in the weight.

I wonder how much the ride quality suffers from the tires, which people do complain about quite a bit. One option if you can sell your missions or when they wear out: Origin-8 Devist8er tires Project Fatbike: Origin-8 Devist-8er 26 x 4.0 FatbikeTires

#8 ·
Took it out for the first real ride tonight. Ive gotta say, for $500, this thing rips. After cutting the seat post down about 4 inches its fitting me much better. A shorter stem should make it nearly perfect. I also cleaned the rotors with brake cleaner. It helped a little bit, but riding them hard for 20 miles made a much bigger improvement and they were stopping much better at the end of the ride. They are getting into the usable range now. Overall im feeling pretty stoaked about this bike and think I made a great choice.

Steed on steed lean action

Out with the fat crew

Playing in a big tube we found

#12 ·
Swapped out the bars and stem, what a difference! This is how I like to run most of my bikes.

Wider and shorter

Blue stem even matches the head badge a little bit.

Its perfect now. Nothing left to do but ride the wheels off of it!

#13 · (Edited)
got some 80mm rims. looks like it cleared the frame with 3.5 vee speedster will also work with 4" -4.25" tires. i also converted to single speed. for whoever wants to do it. ive tried many gear combos. only 32t front 18t rear with half link chain worked for me. its a perfect snug fit good chain tension only a tiny bit on tight side

#14 ·
Thanks coke! Good to know if/when I upgrade wheels. I wonder how much tire it can clear on the stock 50mm rims. Seems like it has some space, I would like to know if a snowshoe or similar would fit.

#95 ·
Hey coke, are you ever gona get around to it? ;) im interested in seeing how the bike would look rolling 80mm rims. im gona keep riding the 50's until i cant anymore, but thinking about upgrading if i taco or something (not uncommon for me).

#16 ·
The missions have already started chunking.

I noticed this a couple days ago. It could be due to riding in construction sites and railroad shale, with lots of wheel spin in loose steep climbs. This tire has maybe 50 miles on it now. Anybody else having problems?

#17 ·
Carnivore Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Aerospace engineering Cat
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

I've just got one in Matte Black ( 14"). With $499 i have nothing to complain. Great bike. Love it so much. I'm living in Vietnam, juz ride it every morning doing exercise.
Which stuff should we upgrade first ? I'm wondering does it fit 100mm rims and 4.8" tires ?
This is the only one FAT bike in my city, LOL. so fun.

#21 ·
im pretty positive fork would work with 4.5 tire on 100mm rim. rear you can only fit up to 4" tire on 80mm rim. to me thats plenty fat enough.

i got some hope brakes, 80mm rims with sealed origin8 hubs and vee8 tires on it now. been gathering more parts . gonna finish soon. itd be single speed.

#23 ·
Dirtdawg: Your thread helped me make up my mind. I would have ordered the std Bullseye but I fell that with my weight and size, 288lbs, 6' 1" and 32" inseam, and our trails here I need a wider tire 4.0 on the monster compared to 3.8 on the bullseye. would be better suited to the dirt and gravel we encounter. So I ordered an 18" monster. I just gave my son my Mongoose Dolomite and I really enjoyed using it for everything.

#28 ·
rjedoaks: The reason I am choosing an 18 is because thew stand over height will allow me to throw my leg over the top tube. my Trek ss is a 17 and I just make it over the top tube. At 29" the Monster should be ok.;)

#38 ·
After 200 miles of abuse, the bike is still holding up from the most part.

I am so glad that the bike came with a bash, I have been thankful for it almost every time I ride it.

And the stock pedals tried their best. I was originally going to replace them with some saints or other quality flat pedal as soon as it arrived, but I was lazy and figured I would use up the stock ones first.

I still think that this is the best money I have ever spent on a new bike.

#186 · (Edited)
After 200 miles of abuse, the bike is still holding up from the most part.

I am so glad that the bike came with a bash, I have been thankful for it almost every time I ride it.

I like that bash guard! Just checked the other fat bikes on BD and looks like this is the only model with that feature. Thanks posting a picture of it because the description on specs only describes it as a chain cover. Bash guard better describes it. I've had chain covers made of plastic.