Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gravity Bullseye Monster

511K views 3K replies 263 participants last post by  iliketexmex 
#1 ·
Finally got my bullseye monster, and I wanted to post my thoughts about it, but there dont seem to be any threads about the specific models that bikes direct offers.

The bike went together pretty smoothly and was lighter than I expected it to be. I will publish the weight when I get around to putting it on a scale, but it was abouth the same weight as (maybe even a little less than) last year's pug. I will ballpark it around 35lbs.

The stem and possibly the handle bars will be replaced soon. Its way too long right now and wider bars are always a plus.

The bike had a minor scratch on the down tube from where the front rim was attached for shipping. It doesn't really bother me, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Here's the bike next to last year's pug (14" frame). The head angle looks much steeper on the Gravity. Not sure what the actual number is for the Bullseye, but for reference I know the pug is a 70.0 degree HTA.

The mission on a 50mm rim next to a nate on a 65mm Marge lite. Both supposedly 4.0, although the nate seems significantly wider in addition to being much more aggressive.

First impression is that its a good start. It doesn't ride nearly as well as the pug does, but in addition to costing less than a third what the pug did, I haven't spent much time dialing it in yet. There are a lot of things im going to do to it, first I need to cut the seat post down, because even inserted as far as it will go, its still at least a full inch higher than I want it. Next will be trying to get some power out of the brakes. Even after bedding them in, they are unbearably weak. I have ridden other bikes with the novelas and know that they can be much more powerful. When set up correctly they can feel as good as a bb7. I will try hitting the rotors with brake cleaner, if that doesn't work I will sand the pads down a bit. Also the rear rim is out of true and the front one has a pretty noticeable hop. it's nothing i cant fix but kinda annoying that i have to work on the wheels of a brand new bike.
I was torn between this and the Boris x9, but didn't have the means to get the more expensive bike. I will report back after putting some more miles on the bike, but so far I am a little underwhelmed. I just remind myself that it was only $500 and remember that I have nothing to complain about. I think it is the best way that money could be spent, because it gets you a good, ridable platform to begin with and will allow me to upgrade parts as I need to.

See less See more
#233 ·
That's a good point. Something I do that I didn't think about when you asked that question is when I put a new tire on (tubed) I seat it and air it up much higher than i would ride it. Like 40 psi. Than I spin it slowly to check it, then I put all my weight on it and rotate it a few inches at a time and keep putting weight on it to make sure its not going to pinch flat while riding

#237 ·
Bullseye Monster Gear and tuning question.

Have two questions:

1) My bike has a two gear chainwheel, yet the front shifter is a three gear - is this normal or was I sent the wrong shifter?

2) My chain keeps jumping 2 to 3 times when shifting down from 4th to 3rd. I tried adjusting the "H" when in 1st to make it slightly out board and another time where it is directly inline with gear. It still jumps - meaning that it doesnt go to another gear comopletly but just starts to then comes back to 3rd. It only does this under stress when riding it, not when on work stand. All other shifting is great. Any suggestions on how to tune it to eliminate this?

Crankset: LASCO 22/32T 175MM ALLOY
Rear Derailleur: SRAM RD-X4-A1
Shifters: SRAM X4 TRIGGER

Thanks!

#239 ·
Have two questions:

1) My bike has a two gear chainwheel, yet the front shifter is a three gear - is this normal or was I sent the wrong shifter?

2) My chain keeps jumping 2 to 3 times when shifting down from 4th to 3rd. I tried adjusting the "H" when in 1st to make it slightly out board and another time where it is directly inline with gear. It still jumps - meaning that it doesnt go to another gear comopletly but just starts to then comes back to 3rd. It only does this under stress when riding it, not when on work stand. All other shifting is great. Any suggestions on how to tune it to eliminate this?

Crankset: LASCO 22/32T 175MM ALLOY
Rear Derailleur: SRAM RD-X4-A1
Shifters: SRAM X4 TRIGGER

Thanks!
1) My front shifter is the same - I assume everyone got a 3-gear click shifter despite only having two front rings.

2) Is your rear derailleur cable too tight? Also, you won't want to adjust the H or L screws for indexing. Those only limit the horizontal movement of the derailleur (to prevent over or undershifting past the gears themselves) Instead, set your cable tension at a reasonable tightness (probably less tight than you'll want to) then use the barrel adjuster on the handlebars to set the indexing. You're spot on as far as the check goes, just make sure it looks straight in line with the gears. Sheldon Brown's article on derailleur adjustment is pretty good, so I'd check that out.

Derailer Adjustment

Edit: Oh yeah, and make sure your derailleur hanger is tight - mine was loose when it came. That'd definitely result in some autoshifting behavior. And if you get stumped, take it to your LBS!

#243 ·
check it out just saw the new Gravity Quigley FS FatBikes full suspension
Yes, we know. If you want you can start a new thread about it, I know I am personally very interested, but let's keep this thread about the monster so that it doesn't end up like the massive bikes direct thread.

#244 ·
dirtdawg,

Thanks for starting this thread and for the ongoing review of the Gravity Bullseye Monster. I was on the fence about getting this bike, but after reading your in-depth reviews and viewing all the awesome pictures, I ended up pulling the trigger and ordered one in silver last night.

Bikes Direct have already shipped and emailed me with a tracking number. Can't wait to get the bike and start riding.

Currently riding a Salsa Fargo but we're expecting snow pretty soon here in Minnesota. The Fargo will not do.

I will upload some pics once I have the bike assembled and ready.

Thanks again! Excellent thread! Ride Safe!

#246 ·
View attachment 937325 Hey Tuareg - You'll like this bike and the silver looks great. Here is mine on trail...
Hi Pasquale! Yes, I saw pics of your silver monster on this post, and that is exactly why I went with the silver! :) Sweet looking bike!

Hoping I don't have to wait too long for mine to come in. I already got a tracking number from BD, but status shows ready for UPS.

#251 ·
Got it! Checked on the status again and it is scheduled to be delivered upcoming Wednesday! I'll plan to work from home that day! :)

We are expecting snow this Sunday.....perfect timing!

I suppose I should switch out those Mission tires as they don't offer much of traction in the snow. Looking at either 45NRTH Husker Du or Panaracer Fat B Nimble. Any suggestions???

#252 ·
:)

Greeting one and all! I got my Huskerdu's and had a neighbor who was a bike shop employee before coming
g here for college mount them. I got to ride them for one day and they ride wonderful. (just can't wait for some snow). Recently I had a stroke and am now sidelined for six weeks doing the therapy thing. I lost some use on the left side, however they expect a full recovery. At the therapy clinic, I am riding a stationary bike. I do bring my own saddle and get strange looks form the thrapists and other patients. LOL So, everyone keep riding and I will keep on posting here and my other thread "Fatbiking and Health". Peace

#261 ·
:band: Today was a good day, no an excellent day! I went to the hospital for rehab and worked out for an hour and then asked if I could ride the stationary bike for thirty minutes. the therapist set up the machine to replicate a road ride with moderate hills and I rode without a hitch. They said I was improving rapidly and should be back out on my bike in FOUR WEEKS. :thumbsup: y heartrate, blood pressure, and Oxygen stay in the allowable range. I told the therapist that I owe it to fat biking on a regular basis and she agreed. They have internet at the clinic and I showed them what a fat bike looks like by going to the Bikesdirect website. One of the male therapists said he might get one. score another one for fat bikes! Above all else I owe a big debt of gratitude to fat biking in my ability to recover quickly. :cool: kepp on cycling Fred

#264 ·
I have to brag on bikesdirect.com and my FATTY BIKE, as well as ACME Bicycle Shop here in Rapid City, SD.

I had a problem with my cassette, bikesdirect said to take it to a Bike Shop....my husband has worked on and built bikes in the past, also vehicles, changed motors and 4 W Drive in our truck...he is not an average bike owner who would not know how to fix them. Anyway, he could not fix the bike gear problem. Saturday we took my bike to the ACME Bike Shop in Rapid City, SD. They not only worked on it, but did it right away. Off we went to the Bike Path.

Nope. Still had the problem. So we took it back. Again, they looked at it right away.

To their surprise and to our surprise, we needed a new cassette for the back gears. They put one on and away I went (I LOVE THAT BIKE!)

Deron contacted bikesdirect.com and they refunded the full amount for the parts and labor. We are quite thrilled!

#271 ·
I do not have it in front of me, and Deron took care of it all. But it was about/approx, with both, $70. We were expecting a higher bill for sure just walking into the bike shop with a bike not bought from them. But they were more than fair on the price and took care of us right away! If you go and take your bike, get a written (wht they did) receipt.