Gravity Bullseye Monster - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 2517
    mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Anyone posted a pic of their monster with fatty slims yet!? I'm dying to see how it looks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Fattie slims, but with 29+ tires:

Quote Originally Posted by Bugout Bikes View Post
    Anyone posted a pic of their monster with fatty slims yet!? I'm dying to see how it looks!

http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

Hooligan

Re: Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by JackNicholls62 View Post
    I went 32 front and 36 rear. I cant imagine needing a lower gear here in IL. There's always the 1-up options for the rear.

10sp stuff is so cheap now its hard to stay away. zee shifter,zee der., raceface chainring, deore chain ad cassette. All $120 shipped. Remember though if you want taller than 36 in the back the zee would need a 1-up cage. better off going XT. I just got Zee stuff hoping to never worry about breaking anything.

Another note.... crank arms are soft. The removal threads stripped on the drive side when using my puller. I've never had that happen. and when punching it off I caused more damage than I would have expected. Not terrible and still useable but a little dissapointing. you will want to be more careful than I was when pulling the arms off.

Removing the front der. because of the direct mount bracket requires taking the non drive side off and cap for the bottom bracket. then the BB appart on the drive side.

I think this helped the chainline issue you bring up DD. The bracket was essesntially a spacer.

Thanks for the warning. My cranks are getting super marred up on all the rocks out here, makes sense that they are unusually soft. Lately with all the snow most of my riding has been less than 10 mph, just trying to stay up in the snow (and that's just the rare occasion when its actually ridable). Out here super low gearing is a must. Even my ss fatbike is a 32-22 and that's pushing it sometimes.
    I think in my situation the 26 would be a good compromise (although it would be overkill if running a 10 spd with a 36). The simplicity of a 1x is enticing, but honestly having a full gear range and running 2 chainrings is working out pretty well, and personally I'm in no hurry to change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    My freehub has a rough spot when turning it. Always in the same place of the revolution. I can't feel it with the cassette on, but I removed my cassette to ditch the plastic dork disc and noticed it when spinning without a cassette. Maybe I'll shoot bikes direct am email and see what they say. My last ride I heard a POP loud enought for me to get off and check the frame for cracks. Makes me wonder if that was the freehub? Anyone had their freehub off? I wonder if they're like shimano where I just need a big allen key. Anyways, Im heading out for a ride. Hope it holds up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    Thanks for the warning. My cranks are getting super marred up on all the rocks out here, makes sense that they are unusually soft. Lately with all the snow most of my riding has been less than 10 mph, just trying to stay up in the snow (and that's just the rare occasion when its actually ridable). Out here super low gearing is a must. Even my ss fatbike is a 32-22 and that's pushing it sometimes.
    I think in my situation the 26 would be a good compromise (although it would be overkill if running a 10 spd with a 36). The simplicity of a 1x is enticing, but honestly having a full gear range and running 2 chainrings is working out pretty well, and personally I'm in no hurry to change it.
    I hate to be the one to ruin your plan, but I'm 90% certain you can run a 26t chainring. I haven't measured the bolt circle diameter (BCD) on the crank but I'm almost sure it's 104mm (most common and thus the least expensive). If it is 104mm the diameter of the bolts is larger then the diameter of a 26t ring. The smallest you would be able to run is a specially made race face 30t ring. You can read about it here.
    Race Face Narrow Wide Chainring - Review - Pinkbike

Swapping to a 10 speed 11-36 might be a simpler option. Or you could swap the BB and run a SRAM XX1 setup like this one.
    SRAM XX1 GXP 100 Fat Bike Crank Set 170 or 175 mm x 76mm BCD Pick Chainring 11S | eBay
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Look at the range charts. You really don't lose much (with a new cassette) and it's so much simpler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    My freehub has a rough spot when turning it. Always in the same place of the revolution. I can't feel it with the cassette on, but I removed my cassette to ditch the plastic dork disc and noticed it when spinning without a cassette. Maybe I'll shoot bikes direct am email and see what they say. My last ride I heard a POP loud enought for me to get off and check the frame for cracks. Makes me wonder if that was the freehub? Anyone had their freehub off? I wonder if they're like shimano where I just need a big allen key. Anyways, Im heading out for a ride. Hope it holds up!
    Mine has that too. They mailed me a new one. Not putting it on until current one fails

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Mine has that too. They mailed me a new one. Not putting it on until current one fails
    Sweet, ill go that route and just keep an eye on it. Had a great 9 mile singletrack ride today, bike was flawless.

Guess something had a bad day...

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Xethur View Post
    I hate to be the one to ruin your plan, but I'm 90% certain you can run a 26t chainring. I haven't measured the bolt circle diameter (BCD) on the crank but I'm almost sure it's 104mm (most common and thus the least expensive). If it is 104mm the diameter of the bolts is larger then the diameter of a 26t ring. The smallest you would be able to run is a specially made race face 30t ring. You can read about it here.
    Race Face Narrow Wide Chainring - Review - Pinkbike

Swapping to a 10 speed 11-36 might be a simpler option. Or you could swap the BB and run a SRAM XX1 setup like this one.
    SRAM XX1 GXP 100 Fat Bike Crank Set 170 or 175 mm x 76mm BCD Pick Chainring 11S | eBay
    Absolute black makes them. They bolt on to the 64mm circle where the 22 goes. It would make the chain line a lot better too.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Won't running it on the 64mm cut down on the tire clearance?
    Xethur

Hooligan

Won't running it on the 64mm cut down on the tire clearance?
    A little bit. Id rather have slightly less clearence than keep wrecking drivetrain componants because of the extreme chain angles. As it is I run a nate on an 80mm rim and spend a lot of time in the 22. its only the first 2 gears that rub, but they still work. Just smear grease on the green tires haha

mtbr member
    Honestly with the mounting bracket gone from the front the chain line is a non issue. Just put 10 miles in this morning no issues.... You want it centered for the middle cogs that way you don't have a bigger angle at either extreme.

mtbr member
    A little bit. Id rather have slightly less clearence than keep wrecking drivetrain componants because of the extreme chain angles. As it is I run a nate on an 80mm rim and spend a lot of time in the 22. its only the first 2 gears that rub, but they still work. Just smear grease on the green tires haha

Lol, It's all good then. I'm planning to look at different cranks to achieve a better chain line without rubbing. Although I plan to run a ring bigger then 26t, but I'm use to really straining on climbs. I run a single 44t on my 29er with a 11-32 9 speed. That setup really does a number on the calves, but I'm unwilling to give up the speed at the other end of the range for easier climbs.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Honestly with the mounting bracket gone from the front the chain line is a non issue. Just put 10 miles in this morning no issues.... You want it centered for the middle cogs that way you don't have a bigger angle at either extreme.
    Good to know. I'm planning to remove it as soon as my $3 bb socket arrives from China.
    Xethur

Hooligan

I'm glad to hear that removing the bracket centers it up a bit.

mtbr member
    Hey dawg, I can't help but notice you've tried a lot of tires. I'm curious what your all around favorite setup has been.
    Last edited by Xethur; 02-24-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    Xethur

Hooligan

Hey dawg, I can't help but notice you've tried a lot of tires. I'm curious what you're what your all around favorite setup has been.

Yeah, I've been trying everything I can get my hands on. As for favorite, That's totally dependant on the conditions. For an all arounder that's pretty good at everything, the on-one floater has been my favorite (especially for the price)
    Right now we have a lot of very dry fluffy snow, and the nate/ground control combo has been awesome (and the only thing making it possible to ride)
    So it really depends on the conditions and what you want the tires to do. Rim width and pressure also changes the handling characteristics a lot.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've been trying everything I can get my hands on. As for favorite, That's totally dependant on the conditions. For an all arounder that's pretty good at everything, the on-one floater has been my favorite (especially for the price)
    So how do your on ones handle hard pack snow and ice?

Got another short 2.6mi shake down ride in. Got my tire pressures dialed in. 14psi front and 10psi rear, but I have to start the tires 4psi higher due to the effect of riding snow. After getting the pressures right the fattie was a lot more fun to ride.

Went to swap in my new brake pads and discovered I have tektro novela's instead of aquila's. That explains why the brakes have lacked power. So when my cable housings arrive in going to swap over my bb7s from my 29er.
    Xethur

Hooligan

So how do your on ones handle hard pack snow and ice?

Got another short 2.6mi shake down ride in. Got my tire pressures dialed in. 14psi front and 10psi rear, but I have to start the tires 4psi higher due to the effect of riding snow. After getting the pressures right the fattie was a lot more fun to ride.

Went to swap in my new brake pads and discovered I have tektro novela's instead of aquila's. That explains why the brakes have lacked power. So when my cable housings arrive in going to swap over my bb7s from my 29er.
    The floaters do pretty well on snow and ice, very rarely do I feel the need for more dig and they hang on to ice better than most.
    Those pressures seem pretty high to me. I normally run 8 rear, 6 front and in the soft snow I air down until it feels right (usually about 5ish). usually in snow, you want to air down so that the tire spreads your weight across more area, resulting in less surface pressure. This is what people call "float"

*I know you didn't ask for advice, but this is MTBR, so I'm going to go around and assert my opinion like its fact.

mtbr member
    I should have noted that I'm taking readings with a 50 stick. I have a accurate gauge on the way, But by feel I would say the stick isn't too far off. I do plan to continue dialing it in, but I've found that at low pressures that front mission drags me all over the place. Of course almost all of my riding is on hard packed snow and ice covered dirt roads. Eventually I'll ride some of the snowmobile trails and I will probably have to change my tire pressures for those.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Rode another 2.6mi shake down ride. Ran the pressures (13 and 8) a little lower and ended up with wobble again. Dawg I thought about what you said and your right I should be able to run lower pressures. So it's got to be the equipment. I'm going to swap the tire from front to rear to see if it's the tire casting or if the wheels are more untrue then I thought.

On another note, I think I'm going to try some Michelin c4 latex tubes. I thought about going tubeless, but then I stumbled across these.

Michelin C4 AirComp Latex MTB Bike Tube | Chain Reaction Cycles

Edit: Well that didn't work. Time to go get the wheels trued.
    Last edited by Xethur; 02-24-2015 at 07:19 AM.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    I'll be putting my 9 speed xt cassette and x7 RD and shifters on soon. I just ordered 10 speed stuff to go 1x on my full suspension bike so the 9speed stuff will go to the fatty.

I emailed BD about my freehub having a rough spot, here's their response...we'll see how it goes.

"Hello,
    Those freehubs use a loose ball bearing and come set tight so they will seat themselves into the race. Give it a few more miles and it should be looser and roll smoother.
    Please let me know how it goes.
    Best regards,
    Larry @ Bikes Direct"

Hooligan

Rode another 2.6mi shake down ride. Ran the pressures (13 and 8) a little lower and ended up with wobble again. Dawg I thought about what you said and your right I should be able to run lower pressures. So it's got to be the equipment. I'm going to swap the tire from front to rear to see if it's the tire casting or if the wheels are more untrue then I thought.

On another note, I think I'm going to try some Michelin c4 latex tubes. I thought about going tubeless, but then I stumbled across these.

Michelin C4 AirComp Latex MTB Bike Tube | Chain Reaction Cycles

Edit: Well that didn't work. Time to go get the wheels trued.
    Nice! Can those tubes stretch enough? I've had a 29x2.1 let go on me before.
    As for the self steer, it is inherent in some tires. Putting a different tire on the front would solve the problem if its really bothering you. As I've said before, the floaters are really good for the price. If you don't want to give up the fast rolling, The larry is a pretty good tire too. And if you really want to go all out, the ground control is the best front tire I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    I had my first ride on floaters, first thing that I noticed is lack of self steer on pavement compared to the missions (before I hit the snow). Once in the snow, I immediately noticed was how great they are in corners and downhill. Going uphill I definitely had an advantage too and rolling resistance on didn't feel much different. Deeper snow performance was slightly improved, but not really drastically. This is all coming from one 5 mile ride so that opinion may change as I ride in different snow conditions. The snow was wet, heavy, and deep so I'm not sure any tire would necessarily excel in that. I'd say the biggest improvement for me is cornering at speed and the braking traction going downhill.

Having never really shopped fat tires in person, I've not seen a ton of them and it's hard to really get an idea for knob depth and volume from pictures. I'm really happy with the floater tread. It's exactly the chunky knobs that I was looking for without being over the top. Very happy with them, and that's not even mentioning the price. Speaking of price, I see planet X usa changed their website. I wonder if the $55 free shipping floaters will remain?Gravity Bullseye Monster-0225152148a.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0225152148b.jpg

mtbr member
    My mechanic found the problem. He says the bead on the front isn't symmetrical like it should be. He called it wavy. So I think I'm going to do what jacknicholls did and get some origin8 80 rims laced to current hubs. Until then I'll run it at 15 psi.

Nice! Can those tubes stretch enough? I've had a 29x2.1 let go on me before.
    Yes the latex tubes can stretch up to 700% they take a bit more time and fiddling to setup kinda like tubeless, but the guys who take that extra time run these for years without issues. And they're 130g so it'll drop close to 2 lbs from the wheels for $32.
    Last edited by Xethur; 02-28-2015 at 09:20 PM.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hello, new to mtbr, picked up a 20" bullseye monster through a local sale, been out for one short ride and am happy to get my own rig for the world of fat, previously rode a borrowed pugs, excited to get out and ride some trail on my own gear. New to wrenching on bikes, I am a contractor by trade and a avid auto mechanic, any recommendations on stands or tool sets would be appreciated. I don't have a ton of cash to dump but want something that will last more than just a few months. Plan to upgrade my monster as things wear out and would like to learn to do the work myself.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

SNOWPOCALYPSE !!!! Lol. Well, wishing it was anyway

mtbr member
    Just starting out, I would recommend some all-in-one kit, like this:

Nashbar Essential Tool Kit

Most online places seem to have them for about the same price. If you want to forgo that, you can do 80% of the work on your bike with only a few tools:

4-5-6 allen wrenches
    screwdrivers
    cable cutters (don't use regular diagonal cutters, get something made for cutting Bowden cables)

Hmm, looking at the Nashbar kit now, I see it doesn't include cable cutters. The next level of kit up (~$100) does include those, and maybe the tools are better:
    Spin Doctor Team 33 Tool Kit

The Park Tools website has some good instructional pages for working on your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by beardedmark View Post
    Hello, new to mtbr, picked up a 20" bullseye monster through a local sale, been out for one short ride and am happy to get my own rig for the world of fat, previously rode a borrowed pugs, excited to get out and ride some trail on my own gear. New to wrenching on bikes, I am a contractor by trade and a avid auto mechanic, any recommendations on stands or tool sets would be appreciated. I don't have a ton of cash to dump but want something that will last more than just a few months. Plan to upgrade my monster as things wear out and would like to learn to do the work myself.

mtbr member
    I had a decent ride today on my BEM, I think partly because I added quite a bit of air to the tires and they weren't so dog slow (how much air? I can't say, my pump doesn't seem to read below 20 psi). Going a little faster over any slippery surface exposed the weaknesses of the stock Mission rubber, so I planned on ordering some Floaters this evening. But $66 shipping! From the US website! Their store always seemed to have free shipping before, but maybe they have to pay for that fancy new website... Anyway, how about suggestions for similarly priced tires that work better than the Missions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Just starting out, I would recommend some all-in-one kit, like this:

Nashbar Essential Tool Kit

Most online places seem to have them for about the same price. If you want to forgo that, you can do 80% of the work on your bike with only a few tools:

4-5-6 allen wrenches
    screwdrivers
    cable cutters (don't use regular diagonal cutters, get something made for cutting Bowden cables)

Hmm, looking at the Nashbar kit now, I see it doesn't include cable cutters. The next level of kit up (~$100) does include those, and maybe the tools are better:
    Spin Doctor Team 33 Tool Kit

The Park Tools website has some good instructional pages for working on your bike.
    Pricepoint has a nice kit too. Tools | Accessories | Discounted Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes and Cycling Gear at PricePoint.com
    Bucksaw, Farley, and a Sturgis....

mtbr member
    any recommendations on stands or tool sets would be appreciated. I don't have a ton of cash to dump but want something that will last more than just a few months.
    For tools I would guess you have allens and screw drivers so I would recommend some tire levers, a tire valve tool, a pump or compressor, a good low pressure gauge (I bought a accu-gage 0-30). Hit up eBay for a stand. I have a Feedback Sports stand and I love it, but it's fairly expensive. I would hold off on anything more then that until you know what your comfortable working on. For instance I work on everything on my bikes except the wheels. If they need trued or hub maintenance I take them to my favorite mechanic.
    Xethur

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Awesome kansas ride today in the post Snowpocalypse melting snow.

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Fun at Winterbike. Got 50+ comments on the green tires and had a lot of pictures taken by strangers.

The foes are sooo nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    So I am a complete newbie to fat biking and I have been following this thread closely trying to gain some information on this bike. When I checked Bikes Direct and saw the their list I also spotted the Motobecane Boris x5 which is only $100 more than the bullseye monster. Is the Motobecane worth $100 more?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WalrusWrangler View Post
    So I am a complete newbie to fat biking and I have been following this thread closely trying to gain some information on this bike. When I checked Bikes Direct and saw the their list I also spotted the Motobecane Boris x5 which is only $100 more than the bullseye monster. Is the Motobecane worth $100 more?
    Yes and no. It really depends on what your long term goal is. If you want a budget fattie that you can ride out of the box then Gravity BM fits the bill. If your like me and you plan to upgrade until you have an awesome fattie and you can do the wrenching yourself then the Gravity BM fits the bill. If you plan to upgrade through a bike shop I would say save your money for a Boris Lurch or Surly Pug. The big advantage to the x5 is the 80mm wheels and slightly better drivetrain and they are well worth the extra $100 especially if you're planning on upgrading to those on the Gravity BM.
    Xethur

Hooligan

As previously stated, it comes down to preference and what you want out of the bike.
    Personally If I had to do it again, I would get the boris. I've ridden one and it feels like a very nice bike right out of the box. I prefer the way the frame looks, 9 speed is nice, and 80mm rims are good for snow. to me it's worth the upcharge, but it comes down to preference.
    That being said, in no way do I regret the gravity. It is a great and functional fat bike for $100 less.
    Think about what you want out of a bike and Buy the one you like/best suits your needs. They are both great bikes for the money and honestly at this pricepoint you can't lose.

mtbr member
    We are getting dumped on now and its supposed to continue all day. Just took the dog for a run around the block, conditions are great. I put my 2 weeks notice in last friday and have some time to use, so taking a snow day today! Will have some pics later.

Edit: pics
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-0305151008a.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0305151008.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0305150955a.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0305150929b.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0305150929a.jpg
    Last edited by dietz31684; 03-05-2015 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey all,

A couple of questions:

1. Is anyone having stock brake squeal issues? My front started a few rides ago and seems to be getting worse. The rear has been fine.

2. Has anyone tried a different chain? Mine has been noisy. I'm using the White Lightning Clean Ride lube. I was thinking of trying a different chain to see if that helps.
    Bob Muller
    Trek Farley 5
    Gravity Bullseye Monster
    Trek CrossRip Elite
    Jamis Exile
    Trek 1500

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbird99 View Post
    Hey all,

A couple of questions:

1. Is anyone having stock brake squeal issues? My front started a few rides ago and seems to be getting worse. The rear has been fine.

2. Has anyone tried a different chain? Mine has been noisy. I'm using the White Lightning Clean Ride lube. I was thinking of trying a different chain to see if that helps.
    I never had squeal with the stock brakes, so I cant comment on that, however I'm on my fourth chain. When they get noise it's a good indication that they are getting worn out. You can measure stretch with a ruler (each link should be exactly a half inch)
    The rollers will develop play as it wears too, making noise and changing the effective length of each link.
    Replacing the chain is cheap and makes the rest of the drive train last longer, however I occasionally slack and run them into the ground. (earlier in the thread I put over 1000 miles on the original chain because the cassette was busted)
    As for suggestions, others may have them, but personally I just get whatever is cheapest or readily available. A chain is just a chain to me, I run it till it's stretched and then replace it.

(I have recently started running 3 chains at a time in a rotation, to try and get my cassettes to wear evenly (because I have several sets of wheels) but I can't really report on that yet.)

mtbr member
    I needed some wider bars for the fatty so I got a new set for my mountain bike and the old ones from that went to the Monster - 660mm to 711mm. I went with 760mm for the new bars on my full sus.

My main mountain bike has a 27.2 seat tube as well so I can put my gravity dropper onto the fat bike. Now that I have some real estate on the bars I can actually fit the lever on there too. I think the dropper will be particularly advantageous when re-starting in deep snow.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-0225152149a.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0305151912.jpg

mtbr member
    If I had to do it all over again it would still be just at hard to decide as the first time. Forget about components and base the decision solely on 2 things:

1. Do you want 50mm or 80mm rims?
    2. Do you have any desire to run 5" tires?

For some reason I really don't like the lines/tube shape of the Boris and I love the Gravity Green. On the other hand, for $100 more you're getting the 80mm wheelset and the ability to run 5" tires on the back. Solely for that I'd almost be inclined to say that the Boris is the better choice. You can still ride the 80mm rims in the summer and why limit yourself to 4" tires? I plan on riding mine all season so the 50mm rims will be killer in the summer and don't hold me back too much in the winter. I still wonder how much better 5" tires would be...

I wouldn't let components sway you at all, they both have cheap but adequate components. X4 vs X5 isn't night and day by any stretch.

mtbr member
    After playing around some more with tire pressure--I was running too low, and it felt extraordinarily slow--I decided it was worthwhile to invest a little more money into my BEM (also, it's my only mountain bike at the moment). I picked up a pair of NIB On One Floaters from another list member, thus avoiding about $50 in shipping charges. They arrived Saturday afternoon just as I pulled into the driveway from a library run on my Cross Check:

I mounted them right then:

and headed out into our remaining snow. What a difference! Before, cornering and control was minimal, and I would stop at any deep powder. Now, cornering is still sketchy (it's on snow, after all), but there's some control and bite there than I can learn to utilize. And when I got off the packed trail, I had traction available to keep churning forward. It's not an overstatement that to say these tires transformed this bike.

Three cheers for the Floater!

As I mentioned above, this is currently my only bike, which means I had a set of hydraulic discs around waiting to go on a bike. I decided to do that as well, but what's this?

The stupid closed cable stop on the seatstay prevents easy removal of the cable brake. Nothing a few minutes with a dremel can't fix:

Nice to have good, strong brakes again. The Tektros were slowly breaking in and getting to be marginally acceptable, but they can't compare to the easy modulation of these Deore hydros.

mtbr member

It's been awhile.......

Hello everyone! '
    It's been awhile since i posted here on this thread so I thought I might let you all know what's been happening in my little corner of the kingdom.
    I had been in rehab for a stroke i suffered some months ago, and in the middle of it, about two weeks ago I had a minor heart attack. It didn't do any further damage to my heart and I was back to rehab the following Monday and riding a stationary bike, with ny own saddle, for 40 minutes at a stretch. This past Thursday i was allowed to finally get back on my Monster and ride around town ad out to the trails in our local park. It was glorious to say the least!
    Today our little group went out to the Kaintuck Rec. area and rode around it and put o9n fifteen mile total.
    I have to change my chain this week as it is getting a little slack and stretched out. This is the first time i have to do this. Also by April I will have to replace or repack my bottom bracket. It's not showing any signs of wear yet but I would rather be safe than sorry. '
    During the week after the episode, we had about 5-7 inches o0f snow. I didn't get to ride in it, but My daughhter and Tom took out their fatties for a spin at the height of the storm and loved it! lucky dogs.
    I am getting my Gravity Bullseye monster Pro next month. of course it will be black likwe my monster.

Until,Tomorrow........PEACE
    Oldebear (aka Fred)

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Hello everyone! '
    It's been awhile since i posted here on this thread so I thought I might let you all know what's been happening in my little corner of the kingdom.
    I had been in rehab for a stroke i suffered some months ago, and in the middle of it, about two weeks ago I had a minor heart attack. It didn't do any further damage to my heart and I was back to rehab the following Monday and riding a stationary bike, with ny own saddle, for 40 minutes at a stretch. This past Thursday i was allowed to finally get back on my Monster and ride around town ad out to the trails in our local park. It was glorious to say the least!
    Today our little group went out to the Kaintuck Rec. area and rode around it and put o9n fifteen mile total.
    I have to change my chain this week as it is getting a little slack and stretched out. This is the first time i have to do this. Also by April I will have to replace or repack my bottom bracket. It's not showing any signs of wear yet but I would rather be safe than sorry. '
    During the week after the episode, we had about 5-7 inches o0f snow. I didn't get to ride in it, but My daughhter and Tom took out their fatties for a spin at the height of the storm and loved it! lucky dogs.
    I am getting my Gravity Bullseye monster Pro next month. of course it will be black likwe my monster.

Until,Tomorrow........PEACE
    Oldebear (aka Fred)

Glad to hear that you are back on the bike and ok, we missed you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I got the 14" bike. It weighs 35.125 lbs out of the box, in case anyone is curious. I'm about to start changing things up.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas about crank arms for this? These 175mm arms are always too long for me and they seem ridiculously long on this bike in general (shorter wheelbase I guess), my foot is sure to hit the front tire.

I'd like 165mm or even 160mm if possible crank arms without having to buy a whole new bottom bracket or spend a whole lot of money. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    stock cranks are square taper, any square taper crank arms would fit, you dont need the whole thing
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Ebay store link

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The only ones I can find in 165mm are bmx which have 5 bolts instead of 4 and a few that come with bottom bracket and/or are really expensive. Maybe what I want is not available unless I pay half again what I paid for the bike?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    There's one set of FSA alpha drive 165mm square taper cranks on eBay. Those were the only ones I could find. Must be pretty rare. Good luck!

I converted the BEM to 1x10 today. Didn't really get a chance to ride it, but it looks cool. I tried for a good long while to ghetto tubeless the BD 80mm wheels with panaracer 60tpi fat b nimbles. I like the tires a lot but the beads are so loose even after building up the inner channel and the bead shelf, I probably would never have any confidence in the setup anyway.

mtbr member
    comparing how much total money you will spend . you might as well just get raceface crankset for around $100 new.

or you can get this FSA Platinum DH 100mm ISIS drive Bottom Bracket offered by Fatbikes.com and buy isis cranks
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Ebay store link

mtbr member
    Glad to hear that you are back on the bike and ok, we missed you!
    Thanks dirtdawg.It's good to be back on my fatty. I really hated being sidelined for so long. But I really am in just in as good a shape as I was when the heart attack happened thanks to my riding schedule.
    When we changed the chain last week Tom did a bottom bracket overhaul too. Just repacking and re adjusting it was all that was necessary. Plus when i get my Pro I am going to change brake pads on the Monster before I pass it on to Sean, (my son).
    Did you know i have a thread on here too? 'fat biking and health" check it out.

Until later..................PEACE
    Oldbear (aka Fred)

mtbr member
    Its been a long time. finally pieced mine together. i converted to single speed. got hope race x2 brakes. origin8 sealed hubs dual wall 80mm wheelset. half link chain surly 32t chainring.

for whoever wants to do it. ive tried many gear combos. only 32t front 18t rear with half link chain works for me. its a perfect snug fit good chain tension only a tiny bit on tight side. although chain doesnt make loud noises.

the bike tilts the scale at 32lbs 2ozs as it sit now with undrilled rims and fat tire tubes. ive already got new wheelset novatec 9/10mm QR thru axle with dual wall 80mm rims. gonna drill the rims and put smaller mtb tubes hopefully it gets down under 30lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-cam01065.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-cam01066.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-cam01064.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-cam01062.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-cam01061.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-cam01060.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-cam01059.jpg  

17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Ebay store link

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thinking of upgrading my 29er to ss, gonna steal parts for the monster. anyone know/try putting a 9spd cassette on the stock rear hub, have 9spd x7 rear derailleur was hoping to run the monster 2x9 without changing anything on the crankset, anyone have any advice or input.Thanks

Hooligan
    Thinking of upgrading my 29er to ss, gonna steal parts for the monster. anyone know/try putting a 9spd cassette on the stock rear hub, have 9spd x7 rear derailleur was hoping to run the monster 2x9 without changing anything on the crankset, anyone have any advice or input.Thanks
    Yeah, it will be a straight swap. 8, 9, and 10 speed cassettes are all the same width.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    Its been a long time. finally pieced mine together. i converted to single speed. got hope race x2 brakes. origin8 sealed hubs dual wall 80mm wheelset. half link chain surly 32t chainring.

for whoever wants to do it. ive tried many gear combos. only 32t front 18t rear with half link chain works for me. its a perfect snug fit good chain tension only a tiny bit on tight side. although chain doesnt make loud noises.

the bike tilts the scale at 32lbs 2ozs as it sit now with undrilled rims and fat tire tubes. ive already got new wheelset novatec 9/10mm QR thru axle with dual wall 80mm rims. gonna drill the rims and put smaller mtb tubes hopefully it gets down under 30lbs
    Alright Coke, you win. I think that's the sleekest fatbike I've ever seen.

mtbr member
    Finally got back on the bike for a ride today. Two weeks ago the snow semi melted and refroze leaving three inches of ice on everything, and last week the kids brought me home the gift of the flu.

Some observations.
    Removing the front derailleur does better center the chain line and to accomplish that you have to unthread the non drive side bb cup a bit.

The missions are by far the worst tires I've ever ridden. After your guys reviews I'll be buying a set of on one floaters but not until next winter.

Overall the ride today was amazing. This bike will probably end up being the one I grab when the weather is bad. Today it was slushy, muddy, and wet with a touch of rain and the fattie loved it.
    Last edited by Xethur; 03-16-2015 at 05:07 PM.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Got my Gravity Bullseye Monster in the mail today. Here is a time lapse of me building the bike up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCVycnoEZow

mtbr member
    Cool video!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by siebermd View Post
    Got my Gravity Bullseye Monster in the mail today. Here is a time lapse of me building the bike up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCVycnoEZow
    Congrats on the Bike! Now get n ride!

mtbr member
    Alright Coke, you win. I think that's the sleekest fatbike I've ever seen.

thanks man. just wanted to have something unique
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Ebay store link

mtbr member
    Some observations.
    Removing the front derailleur does better center the chain line and to accomplish that you have to unthread the non drive side bb cup a bit.
    there should be a 2.5mm spacer in place of the e type derailleur plate if you remove it tho. therefor your chainline would not change as its desinged unless you put the spacer in the non drive side. doing so you entire crankset will shift 2.5mm over to the left. by all means the bb cup should not be loose when you ride.

just saying
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Ebay store link

mtbr member
    I took my BEM monster out for my first ride on real trail that didn't involve snow:

I was very impressed by the amount of grip I had, but it was a LOT of work lugging these big tires up the many hills of this trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I took my BEM monster out for my first ride on real trail that didn't involve snow:

I was very impressed by the amount of grip I had, but it was a LOT of work lugging these big tires up the many hills of this trail.
    Yeah man i hear ya on that. I did a 5 mile round trip to the grocery store on a paved trail which is all uphill coming home and it was killer. I wasn't sure if there was snow on the trail still so I took the BM. I'll take the road bike next time! The BM is so much more fun to ride though. No curb jumping or stair riding shenanigans if I drag out the skinny tires.

Hooligan
    Winter is still in full swing here in NH. We got some fresh snow to play in this weekend.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1427075205417.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  39.4 KB

I can't wait until I have the option to take the road bike, as I recently got one to match the fat bike with the hopes that it would get me through the transitional spring weeks (when its too slushy/muddy to ride trails without damaging them).
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-uploadfromtaptalk1427075385501.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nice stable, Dirtydawg! Keep it fAt!

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Nice stable, Dirtydawg! Keep it fAt!
    Thanks! This is only a small portion of my stable. The rest live in the basement or at my parents house for the winter while they aren't used

Rippin da fAt
    My collective lives in my office year round, but yeah, it's a collective and I've been absorbed!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Been following this thread since shopping for a fat bike late last year. I bought my green 18" Bullseye Monster from BD almost three months ago.

In the same boat with the freehub. It will run smooth in good conditions, even in snow. But wet/muddy conditions, will grind and lock up after a few miles even when it is clean and smooth starting out. I am upgrading to a Shimano freehub. The rear wheel hub is currently apart, the 12 point captive bolt is accessible from the left side of the hub.

The stock cassette is kind of awesome, the second gear is a sweet climbing gear. It was replaced after 3rd and 4th gears were somehow mangled. The replacement is an HG41, not as nice in 2nd gear but more durable.

Aside from this, the only necessary upgrade on mine: presta tubes since low pressures (10-15) caused the schrader valves to move around.
    Future upgrades will include 80mm hole rims (keeping the stock hubs) and some more agressive tires in the 3.8-4.0" ballpark. Thinking of possibly eliminating the e-type mount on the front derailleur with this: ORIGIN8 Front Derailleur Fat Bike Mount > O > origin8 | Jenson USA

Hooligan
    Its still very much winter over here.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1427216812649.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1427216886066.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  61.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    there should be a 2.5mm spacer in place of the e type derailleur plate if you remove it tho. therefor your chainline would not change as its desinged unless you put the spacer in the non drive side. doing so you entire crankset will shift 2.5mm over to the left. by all means the bb cup should not be loose when you ride.

just saying
    I don't know if I can explain what I mean but I'll try. The threads are cups that are seperate pieces from the bb itself. As you tighten them, both drive and non drive side, they compress the bb to hold it tight. There is a lip on the drive side to hold the e type, but no lip on the non drive side. All I did was loosen up the non drive side maybe 2mm to make the drive side flush and still compress the bb to hold it tight.
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-908320d1405440269-100-mm-bottom-brackets-vp-components-square-taper-100mm-bb-cartridge-vp-bc63.jpg

To the rest of you, I've decided I hate you. I don't want to admit it, but I've fallen in love with a fattie. I rode my 29er to the atm the other night and it felt stiff and twitchy. I have no idea what I will do at this point, but the fattie has earned its place in my stable. The 29er will probably become my trail only bike. I'm looking forward to riding the fattie on the trails here. I also finally got a chance to compare my fattie and my 29er on my gps app. The 29er's average speed was only 2.5 mph faster. I was rather surprised by that because I'm running Chris King hubs on moderately light wheels with a 44t 1x setup as compared to the heavy wheels and 32t setup on the fattie.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    I don't know if I can explain what I mean but I'll try. The threads are cups that are seperate pieces from the bb itself. As you tighten them, both drive and non drive side, they compress the bb to hold it tight. There is a lip on the drive side to hold the e type, but no lip on the non drive side. All I did was loosen up the non drive side maybe 2mm to make the drive side flush and still compress the bb to hold it tight.
    never mind, i had a brain fart earlier. i for some reason i was picturing a different bb
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Ebay store link

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    New owner - Got the bug for a fatbike for a couple reasons - looking for a way to make slow rides with my kids more challenging and fun, and a way to slow down and smell the roses, since I'm starting to ride my other bikes like a crazy person.

Selected the Monster as the lowest price point with 4" tires and a decent build. Arrived intact, some chipping on the fork dropouts and brake mount.

My question relates to the cables. They're routed wacky. I left the rear brake on left, moved the rear dir to the middle, and the front dir to the right. I read of similar complaints.

What I didn't read about is housing length - my bike looks like they put housings from a larger bike on - there's at least and inch of extra housing length in the rear segments for the rear brake and derailleurs.

Anyone else run across this? Not sure if I should just cut them down (losing the metal end in the process) or email BD for replacements.

Thanks for any tips.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
    New owner - Got the bug for a fatbike for a couple reasons - looking for a way to make slow rides with my kids more challenging and fun, and a way to slow down and smell the roses, since I'm starting to ride my other bikes like a crazy person.

Selected the Monster as the lowest price point with 4" tires and a decent build. Arrived intact, some chipping on the fork dropouts and brake mount.

My question relates to the cables. They're routed wacky. I left the rear brake on left, moved the rear dir to the middle, and the front dir to the right. I read of similar complaints.

What I didn't read about is housing length - my bike looks like they put housings from a larger bike on - there's at least and inch of extra housing length in the rear segments for the rear brake and derailleurs.

Anyone else run across this? Not sure if I should just cut them down (losing the metal end in the process) or email BD for replacements.

Thanks for any tips.
    Pictures would help us make an assessment.
    I trimmed my shifter cable a bit, but it wasn't having any issues, I just wanted to snug it up a bit to avoid getting snagged out in the woods. I don't think its worth asking BD, even if they are willing to send you another housing and possibly cable, you will still be in the same position of trimming and instaling it. You will probably wait a few weeks for little to no gain. If it is causing issues, trim it.
    Again, this is without seeing how bad it is. If pictures show it to be really bad my answer might change a little bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks Dawg, it occurred to me as I posted that pics would really help. The ders aren't too bad (suboptimal but workable), but the brake housing stands about 2" out from the seatstay because of the slack.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent

Hooligan
    The road bike I got from them also suffers from too much brake cable.
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-uploadfromtaptalk1427560105695.jpg
    It works fine, so I'm just going to run it until it starts binding and deal with it then.

mtbr member
    After looking over my cables and housings I bought a Jagwire kit from ebay for about $13. I plan to drill the cable housing stops and run full length housings. The housings on my monster weren't very well built (bad cuts and no prep work on the end of the housing). I'm big fan of full length housing because it makes them practically maintenance free. I'll post pictures once it's done.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Finished assembly... Other than a mangled der hanger and the aforementioned housings, it seems pretty solid. Rode it up and down a steep hill to bed the brakes. Tomorrow we go to the park.

16" is a little small for a 5'9.9" fella, but I kinda knew that going in. Figured I'd pass this to my sons if (when?) I got the bug for a Sturgis or Lurch with a Bluto.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    After looking over my cables and housings I bought a Jagwire kit from ebay for about $13. I plan to drill the cable housing stops and run full length housings. The housings on my monster weren't very well built (bad cuts and no prep work on the end of the housing). I'm big fan of full length housing because it makes them practically maintenance free. I'll post pictures once it's done.
    if its modifiedbicycles or components its from me haha
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Ebay store link

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_1289.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-img_1290.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-img_1291.jpg
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Bullseye Monster on the Big Island

My GBM 16" arrived on the Big Island of Hawaii last Thursday. Everything was great out of the box. Rear wheel needed a little truing. The Tektro mechanical brakes were easy to set up and work fine once the pads are scuffed in with a little braking. I put on some Shimano Saint pedals and did some shakedown rides around my neighborhood. On Tuesday, I took it out to a service road between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea at 5600 - 6000' elevation. Here are some pictures.

GBM on the lava flow

Gravity Bullseye Monster-gbm-powerline-road-033115.jpg

Loose gravel climbs

Gravity Bullseye Monster-powerline-road.jpg

Mossy lava rock covered with dead leaves

Name:  Kipuka climb.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  92.6 KB

The Pu'u O'o trail

Gravity Bullseye Monster-puu-oo-trail.jpg

Lots of sections with big loose rocks like this

Name:  It looks like this.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  77.0 KB

And this

Name:  And this.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  84.4 KB

A lava tube that has creatures that have adapted to underground life

Gravity Bullseye Monster-awesome-lava-tube.jpg

Riding over pahoehoe lava flows

Name:  Riding over pahoehoe.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  80.6 KB

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Has anybody drilled out the stock 50mm rims to have larger holes? Also, has anyone had success converting to tubeless without using a split tube? I'll probably attempt it either way, but if anyone has already tried, I'd gladly accept any tips.

mtbr member
    I had my monster out for the first proper dirt ride with the floaters on. The bike handled great. I was worried about the steeper headtube on steep downhill but it wasn't a problem in the slightest. While the traction was great so was the rolling resistance. I'm going to consider some fat b nimles or something with a bit less tread when I have some spare cash. Definitely felt the wheel weight but nothing I can't live with. Also, I didn't miss suspension a bit with the volume of the tires. I'm still very impressed with the bike especially for the price. I've got about 700 into the bike and I couldn't tell that it isn't 2x the price while riding.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeyedfish View Post
    Has anybody drilled out the stock 50mm rims to have larger holes? Also, has anyone had success converting to tubeless without using a split tube? I'll probably attempt it either way, but if anyone has already tried, I'd gladly accept any tips.

A "uni bit" will help with that.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Finally got the cable housings run. Also swapped in a set of bbdb's and my old 9 speed xt drive train.
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-100_0818.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-100_0819.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-100_0820.jpg
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Looks great, Xethur! I will have to run full length cable housings myself. Way too much work to maintain open cables.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Received my new freehub, the captive bolt is 12mm. The mechanic who'd verified the bolt's size appreciated the stock Vee tires. There was a Mongoose Dolomite in for service. The other mechanic immediately comments on it's 52lb weight.

Also found a picture of the mangled stock cassette from a few months back. Never seen this before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-fat-bike-cassette.jpg  

Rippin da fAt
    Insert AAMCO commercial here...
    Doctor recommended...

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by ikernel View Post
    Received my new freehub, the captive bolt is 12mm. The mechanic who'd verified the bolt's size appreciated the stock Vee tires. There was a Mongoose Dolomite in for service. The other mechanic immediately comments on it's 52lb weight.

Also found a picture of the mangled stock cassette from a few months back. Never seen this before.
    my stock cassette exploded too, im still convinced that it was the result of mashing on the bad chainline.

mtbr member
    I didn't like the look or feel of the stock cassette from out of the box. It just felt flimsy and 6th gear skipped consistently. I think that flimsy cassette combined with the bad chainline equals epic failure. I was very happy to get my old xt drivetrain on my fattie.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    May 2013
    A "uni bit" will help with that.
    Yeah, the plan is a step bit up to 3/4" and see if I'm comfortable removing any more material after that. I might just do split tube tubeless. I've got a 20" tube in the basement that I could use.

I'll ask again just in case. Has anyone set up these stock rims tubeless without using a split tube?

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeyedfish View Post
    Has anyone set up these stock rims tubeless without using a split tube?
    personally i have not. i swap tires too often to be interested in tubeless. maybe now that its not snowy i will settle on one and give it a shot, but personally i will be giving split tube a shot. it seems too simple and effective for me to ignore.

Hooligan

My new hub came in today! 170mm, 54poe, and sealed bearings all around. Really excited to get it laced up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Ordered a Shimano Deore freehub. Then ordered the 12mm wrench... Find my Shimano part is totally incompatible. Trying to find a compatible freehub and it looks it's more SRAM or A-Class: the spline is opposite of a typical Shimano setup. Any ideas of what will work with the stock hub? Want to order an SRAM body but not willing to wait longer for more disappointment with compatibility.

mtbr member
    Delete, sorry, wrong thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Delete, sorry, wrong thread.
    Should've specified anyway- It's for my Bullseye Monster. I'm the only one going this route seemingly, others have requested a warranty replacement. Skeptical of going the replacement route but considering sending Bikes Direct an email.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by ikernel View Post
    Should've specified anyway- It's for my Bullseye Monster. I'm the only one going this route seemingly, others have requested a warranty replacement. Skeptical of going the replacement route but considering sending Bikes Direct an email.
    wouldnt hurt. even if its just to get you rolling while you find a match for the busted one.

mtbr member
    My new hub came in today! 170mm, 54poe, and sealed bearings all around. Really excited to get it laced up.
    So is this a stock replacement or an upgrade?
    Xethur

Hooligan
    So is this a stock replacement or an upgrade?
    it's a huge upgrade. it's a FB340R from bike hub store. pretty much the same freehub as their (very popular) MTB270, but obviously with a wider axle and shell.
    I have wanted a new hub since day 1, mostly because i can't stand only having 18poe when i ride tech. i dont notice as much in the snow when there's not much coasting, but now that its warming up again i decided to pull the trigger. the faster engagement makes a huge difference when im trying to ratchet over a big rock or something. I initially had my eye on the Sarma, but i chose this over it because the prices went up substantially.

mtbr member
    Dawg I know exactly what you mean. I have Chris King hubs on my 29er and my only complaint with them is that they don't make fat hubs. Next tax return I'm planning to build an awesome wheel set for my fattie I can't wait to hear what you think of your new hub. Those may end up being the hubs I was looking for.
    Xethur

Rippin da fAt
    Dawg,

I would like a 108 poe rear for mine, 'cause my trials bike has me spoiled rotten...
    I9 offers it along with a complimentary wallet extraction!
    Doctor recommended...

aka bOb
    Dawg,

I would like a 108 poe rear for mine, 'cause my trials bike has me spoiled rotten...
    I9 offers it along with a complimentary wallet extraction!
    They also will get you a week on the couch when the wife see's the bill but well worth it. True story.

mtbr member
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-100_0842.jpg
    Put a long 11.2 mile ride in today. The distance itself wasn't what made the ride long, it was the 5.7 miles on sand. From beach 1 to 11 on Presque Isle. The missions handled the sand with ease. It's too bad they self steer on any form of hard pack. At this point I'm planning on picking up a or8 devist8er 120tpi to run up front and keep the missions in the rear. I know the devist8er is also made by vee but I've read good things about the 120tpi. That is unless you guys can point me to an on one floater shipped for $55.
    Xethur

Hooligan

19 miles for me today. Went out to the Cape to finally ride some dirt this year!

Rippin da fAt
    Looks like a nice playground, Dawg!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have resolved my freehub issue. First, contacted BD, the part is on order but not in stock, asked to have one sent anyway. Also contacted Gravity, still have yet to respond. Determined the hubs are Formula. Ordered an SRAM freehub. Either way, got a part on the way that should fit.

mtbr member
    Does anybody know the widest tire for the rear of a Monster Pro? The rims are 80mm and there is decent room on both sides with a 4.0. I wonder if a 4.5 would fit, mounted to the 80mm rim?

Rippin da fAt
    The 80's will likely have the profile for it, tho' it might be close for mud clearance. This would not deter me from fatter fatty's cause I try to avoid mud bogging my fAtty...

if you know someone with a 4.5 you can test with before ya buy, that would be the way to go.
    Doctor recommended...

Hooligan
    I've already stated that a 4.0 nate on an 80mm gets chain rub in 2 gears. I don't see anything larger fitting.

mtbr member
    I wonder if the pro and the regular have different rear triangles. This bike has plenty of space in the lowest gear with a 4.0 Vee8.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    I wonder if the pro and the regular have different rear triangles. This bike has plenty of space in the lowest gear with a 4.0 Vee8.
    Post some pictures
    Bucksaw, Farley, and a Sturgis....

Rippin da fAt
    240 forgot to pump up the tire!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    LOL. I'll post some pics tomorrow, but I just looked at it while taking out the trash and there is roughly 1/4 inch clearance between chain and tire in the lowest gear. And maybe a 1/2 clearance between frame and tire. It's a 4.0 Vee8 on the 80mm rim.

Rippin da fAt
    80's do help maintain some clearance with the fAt tires. 4.0's are fat, 4.something is fAt!
    Last edited by BansheeRune; 04-17-2015 at 12:07 PM.
    Doctor recommended...

Hooligan
    the pro is a totally different bike, i cant really offer any insight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-fattie2.jpg

Read through this thread, and bought a monster. put it together last night and took it for a ride today. WOW I love it, totally new mtn bike experience

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Right on, Byron! I just got finished riding 20 miles on the Hilo coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. Rocks, sand, gravel or pavement, this bike can handle it. It's not fast, but will plow through anything as long as I have the leg strength.

Rippin da fAt
    Byron,

It's a Jeep on two wheels! Just point and pedal and it conquers...

Can't be ridden without a big grin either!
    Enjoy the new toy! Many adventures to follow.

xbmedic, you lucky dog! On the Island? Sounds like a place to ride fat!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not sure if this counts since it's the pro version of the bike that started this thread, but I picked this up the other day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    That GBM Pro looks awesome in black, KCdirtbro!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks! I'm not a black bike fan but when the last blue one sold right before I ordered, my only choice was black. $1000 for everything shipped w/bluto seemed like a steal to me!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My bestie has the pro and it's very nice. Probably the only thing I don't like about my BEM is the lack of a tapered head tube, since the only straight steerer suspension fork I've come across is a $140 eBay pogo stick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

In Door County...

Did about 22 miles of mountain biking in Peninsula State park this weekend on the Monster, lots of fun!

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_20150426_115139.jpg

Does anyone know the diameter of the stock handle bars? I want to get a wider one and I am not sure of the clamp size

Rippin da fAt
    If there is no bulge close to the stem it is 25.4. With a bulge in the bar, it's 31.6.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It does have the Bulge, The bars I am looking at are 31.8.... .2mm should be close enough right

Rippin da fAt
    Doh! 31.8 is correct. Sorry for the misinformation.
    Doctor recommended...

Hooligan
    2000 miles and still going strong.

Rippin da fAt
    Dawg,

You haven't broken it yet cause it's actually a good product. Should give you some good rides to come.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The brakes on mine work much better now that it has about 35 miles on it. But I figured heck for $22 I can up grade the front to a 203mm rotor with the adapter for the caliper. It should really help the feel and power of the front. These wheels have a lot of rotating mass, larger diameter rotors should really help. Still need to order bars, but in the end it will be around $45 to upgrade/fit the bike to what I want.

On a side note on my way to Door County I stopped at an LBS to look for new bars, the mechanic looked at my bike and was super impressed. He said it looked better set-up then their entry level Fattie at $900, and he was going to look into stocking one or two.

Rippin da fAt
    Byron,

Disk brakes take time to bed in. It helps to get 'em wet and go out and use 'em while they are wet. 203's may not be necessary. They will make some noise but when they dry it will stop making noise.
    My Hopes with 160's make plenty of stopping power and will lock up the wheels without much effort at the lever.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Byron,

Disk brakes take time to bed in. It helps to get 'em wet and go out and use 'em while they are wet. 203's may not be necessary. They will make some noise but when they dry it will stop making noise.
    My Hopes with 160's make plenty of stopping power and will lock up the wheels without much effort at the lever.
    I agree. 203's are not really necessary. They will improve power but will lessen modulation. They are more appropriate on a downhill bike the needs the heat dissipation.
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw
    2013 Salsa Colossal Steel
    1991 Trek 750

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Byron,

Very true, the rear works just fine and I can lock it up, my front works ok, it may get better. but at $22 to upgrade the front to a 203mm it should improve control and power nicely. With the 160mm upfront I can't get the rear tire to lift on hard stops like I can with my 99 GT Avalanche or on my 08 Yamaha WR250r (yes a motorcycle). There have been times on both that I needed strong fronts to avoid crashing into something (downed rider, tree, etc). And yes grabbing a fist full of front brake can be a tricky proposition and can put you down, but at times the alternatives can be worse.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Oh and you are right that the 203 really is not totally necessary, I am just suiting the bike to my perceived needs. And it needs very little.

Stock out of the box this bike is an absolute steal!

I was running a long steep downhill in Peninsula State Park that had wood erosion beams half buried every so often. I was going about 20 - 22mph by the last one and probably got about 2.5' of air off it. Bike was rock solid the whole way down.

mtbr member
    Here is my buddies Pro. Its got a few upgrades and he is looking for the best deal on a light weight rear tire before we make it tubeless:

mtbr member
    Bryon I would swap the stock stem at the same time. The splines in the stock stem will really do a number on a new set of bars. If your ebaying this stuff a decent four bolt stem will only run another $15 and if you go with a short stem it will give those new bars a better feel IMO.

Dawg I'm still eagerly awaiting a review of that new hub. I've got my eyes on those hubs and some Chinese carbon 80mm wheels come tax return time.

Rippin da fAt
    The biggest trouble with disk brakes is alignment. when they are spot on, they are powerful. If you are cool with wrenching, you may wanna inspect the front to make sure it's adjustment is correct.

"If they don't throw ya thru the windshield, they don't work" is what a friend of mine says at the the LBS. Kinda do agree, cause working properly you don't have to grab a fist full of lever to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
    Oh and you are right that the 203 really is not totally necessary, I am just suiting the bike to my perceived needs. And it needs very little.

Stock out of the box this bike is an absolute steal!

I was running a long steep downhill in Peninsula State Park that had wood erosion beams half buried every so often. I was going about 20 - 22mph by the last one and probably got about 2.5' of air off it. Bike was rock solid the whole way down.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I would save your money for better brake calipers. The brake pad contact area of those tektro's is pretty small. I swapped mine for avid bb7's.

Rippin da fAt
    I would save your money for better brake calipers. The brake pad contact area of those tektro's is pretty small. I swapped mine for avid bb7's.
    I hear the BB7's changed design in the last few years. In the trials world they are not as popular as the older model. How do you like 'em, Xethur?
    Doctor recommended...

Hooligan
    I hear the BB7's changed design in the last few years. In the trials world they are not as popular as the older model. How do you like 'em, Xethur?

I did it too, and I like them a lot.

mtbr member
    The ones I have on the fattie are bbdb's which is the first style. They work but the adjustments on them are finicky. The red knobbed bb7's I have on my 29er with 180mm rotors and sd7's are awesome in every aspect. It did take some time to learn how to properly adjust them though. The newest style have black knobs and the only difference is they are lighter due to upgraded hardware.

On the fattie the bb7's work better the the tektro's but I'm still working out cable stretch on the new cables and I will probably upgrade to 180 HS1's because I'm 6'3", 220lbs, and riding a 22" monster. Wow that sounds...

Rippin da fAt
    Trials riders are a finicky lot, I know cause I am one. My bike is a dual disc stock, which is rare. It is good to know Sram didn't kill the power of the BB7's
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    O.o

The cable housings are the biggest trouble with 'em. You can find compressionless housing for them that will resolve most of the "cable stretch" issue. It'll make them feel like a different brake all together. Stockli Boy is a fan of the BB7 and his work amazingly well with Nokon cables. His are the older ones tho'.

Thanks for the reply Xethur, Dawg

The ones I have on the fattie are bbdb's which is the first style. They work but the adjustments on them are finicky. The red knobbed bb7's I have on my 29er with 180mm rotors and sd7's are awesome in every aspect. It did take some time to learn how to properly adjust them though. The newest style have black knobs and the only difference is they are lighter due to upgraded hardware.

On the fattie the bb7's work better the the tektro's but I'm still working out cable stretch on the new cables and I will probably upgrade to 180 HS1's because I'm 6'3", 220lbs, and riding a 22" monster. Wow that sounds...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I treat it just like I do bedding. I'll wait for the cabled to finish stretching and then I'll tighten everything up. After that, because the full length housing and the wax chain lube I put on the cables, I will probably never have to fiddle with the housing or cable again.

Hooligan
    Dawg,

You haven't broken it yet cause it's actually a good product. Should give you some good rides to come.
    i whole heartedly agree and have been saying so since post #1

Rippin da fAt
    i whole heartedly agree and have been saying so since post #1
    Werd!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Went on the sandbars near my house on the WI river, I had to cross a stretch of water about 25' long and 10-20" deep, and my main observation was that the bike gets lighter in the water due to the sizable volume of air in the tires. In the super loose sugar sand it is imperative to keep speed up and weight fairly centered front to back to keep going. I nearly rode into a 5' deep water hole when I was returning. The flat 2.5 mile stretch back to my house I was able to maintain a 17mph avg without much issue, which I thought was quite amazing with those 4.0s at 15psi. I think a fat bike is going to make a great contrast to my roadie for workouts.

Rippin da fAt
    The grin will be far bigger with the far bigger tires! Welcome to the big time, uh, big tires!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    The flat 2.5 mile stretch back to my house I was able to maintain a 17mph avg without much issue,
    If you did this on sand, very impressed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Not on the sand no... that would be more than impressive
    2016 Motobecane Sturgis rigid
    2008 Yamaha WR250r http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fattie2.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	983541

Read through this thread, and bought a monster. put it together last night and took it for a ride today. WOW I love it, totally new mtn bike experience
    byron:

Cool, you finally got one! Like Banshee says your grin will just get bigger and bigger!
    Before I got my Pro, My Monster had turned a whopping 1246 miles on it. The only major maintainence I had to do was replace the chain and I did switch out the tires for some Husker Du's, (that are now on the pro.) I love the way BD handles their customers. I also notice you bought an orange one. The picture makes it look like a salmon color or like campbell's Tomato soup. Now Brudda, get out and ride! I theink you will get a lot more use for your fatty than you think. I live in a small college town , we are home to the Missouri Science and technology university, and I use bikes to get around town. I love being a fathead.
    Don't worry about your brakes mine took 70 miles to get broke in and seated properly.

To everybody else on this thread:
    I went out and bought a Pro, I wanted a front fork to ease my arthritis in my hands and shoulders. the price is worth it! That Bluto really helps with the strain I get on longer rides.
    So far I have around 200 miles on it since the 8th when it came in.The brakes bedded themselves quickly and after I swapped out the mission v-8's for the Husker Du's The handling and traction in the dirt improved a bunch. I went to Castlewood State Park in the west county area of St. Louis county and I discovered how much this bike climbs and handles downhills. It was fantastic!

One quick personal note in closing this post. In March It was determined that i have skjn cancer on my right ear. So on May 5th I am going to undergo surgery on my ear to remove the cancer. That means I will lose the top half of my ear. The cause if the cancer is the years I spent riding out in Utah and Colorado's sun did the damage. I am now an advocate for using sun screen on the tops of the ears. SO PLEASE PLEASE Take my hard learned lesson to heart and use sun screen!

Until Later
    Oldbear and family

Hooligan
    byron:

Cool, you finally got one! Like Banshee says your grin will just get bigger and bigger!
    Before I got my Pro, My Monster had turned a whopping 1246 miles on it. The only major maintainence I had to do was replace the chain and I did switch out the tires for some Husker Du's, (that are now on the pro.) I love the way BD handles their customers. I also notice you bought an orange one. The picture makes it look like a salmon color or like campbell's Tomato soup. Now Brudda, get out and ride! I theink you will get a lot more use for your fatty than you think. I live in a small college town , we are home to the Missouri Science and technology university, and I use bikes to get around town. I love being a fathead.
    Don't worry about your brakes mine took 70 miles to get broke in and seated properly.

To everybody else on this thread:
    I went out and bought a Pro, I wanted a front fork to ease my arthritis in my hands and shoulders. the price is worth it! That Bluto really helps with the strain I get on longer rides.
    So far I have around 200 miles on it since the 8th when it came in.The brakes bedded themselves quickly and after I swapped out the mission v-8's for the Husker Du's The handling and traction in the dirt improved a bunch. I went to Castlewood State Park in the west county area of St. Louis county and I discovered how much this bike climbs and handles downhills. It was fantastic!

One quick personal note in closing this post. In March It was determined that i have skjn cancer on my right ear. So on May 5th I am going to undergo surgery on my ear to remove the cancer. That means I will lose the top half of my ear. The cause if the cancer is the years I spent riding out in Utah and Colorado's sun did the damage. I am now an advocate for using sun screen on the tops of the ears. SO PLEASE PLEASE Take my hard learned lesson to heart and use sun screen!

Until Later
    Oldbear and family
    Glad to hear that you're liking the bluto!
    Sorry to hear about your ear though, that really sucks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Well I ordered some 720mm bars and a short DH stem. I did not ride the fattie today, but I dropped 3 minutes on my near daily 12 mile short roadie ride.

Hooligan
    Well I ordered some 720mm bars and a short DH stem. I did not ride the fattie today, but I dropped 3 minutes on my near daily 12 mile short roadie ride.
    already making you stronger

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It would seem that way, but to be fair I have been pushing pretty hard this year too

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey everyone total newbie here. I must say great thread dirtdawg, and after reading the whole thing I'm going to pull the trigger tonight and order my monster. I'm very excited and already dreading the wait. Look forward to sharing my experience with what seems to be a great starting point into the whole fat bike world.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordzilla85 View Post
    Hey everyone total newbie here. I must say great thread dirtdawg, and after reading the whole thing I'm going to pull the trigger tonight and order my monster. I'm very excited and already dreading the wait. Look forward to sharing my experience with what seems to be a great starting point into the whole fat bike world.
    Thanks Fordzilla! Welcome to the club.

Rippin da fAt
    Let the jones begin!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Luckily the wait is only a couple days. I ordered mine on a Tuesday and had it Thursday, standard shipping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My wife called while riding to have me pick something up at the gas station. So when 30 seconds later I come out and (the bike is still there) but some kids are looking at it and as I ride out and a sketchy dude in an old Caravan gives me props for the bike. Point is, I can park this $500 Fattie next to my wife's $1200 Bianchi Roadie, and I would bet $100 the fattie would get stolen first. I am getting the impression that these types of bikes are theft magnets

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just placed my order for my monster I can't wait for it to get here. Thanks again to everyone here it put my mind at ease knowing that it's worth the money. Can't wait to get it out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    You will have fun with it guaranteed. My other mountain bike doesn't see much use since I got the Monster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So my bike will be here wensday I can't wait. Hope ton have as much fun as everyone else has been talking about. I'm sure I will. Now I just need to find a way to pass some time. I hope to have pics soon. Happy rideing!

mtbr member
    This is my Daughter riding our Bullseye Monster. I am riding my Boris. Great day out on the trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_cl8TxhVPk

mtbr member
    Looks like a fun day!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by siebermd View Post
    This is my Daughter riding our Bullseye Monster. I am riding my Boris. Great day out on the trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_cl8TxhVPk
    1)...she needs a helmet
    2) who took all your rocks?. I don't think I saw one....whats mountain biking without a constant stream of goat heads? I could ride my road bike there.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

Rippin da fAt
    I pulled a dozen "Goatheads" outta my tires the other day, good thing they are tubless with stans in 'em
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Slebrmd:
    I agree with Mustclime on one thing, you guys need helmets. But that video is sweet. looks like there some beginner to intermediate riding to be had there. '

To everyone else, I just woke up from my sleep and had to take some pain meds. I have had surgery on my right ear, losing about 90% of it to Basal Cancer. So after years of going without it I am now an advocate of Sunscreen. I used to do a lot of riding out in Utah and Colorado back in the day (1990's ) and never thought of using any. Now I am going to use a really effective screen. Looking for one around 50 spf or even more. Seems some of my heart meds makes me more prone to the sun. Although I lost my ear, the cancer was Basal and didn't spread any further than the exterior. Now I have to endure seven days of enforced idleness and my Monster just sits there tempting me.
    I will post a post-op picture on my profile, 'cuz for some reason i can't post it here.

Until later====================PEACE
    Oldbear===========AKA Fred

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Here's my GBM 14" next to a Framed Minnesota 2.0 16". A few other things have been changed since this photo was taken so I'll add more later, maybe when I get my new pedals. I love the bike. Most of what I changed was for fit/personal comfort. It's a great bike right out of the box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-bikecompare.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Glad to hear you won that battle old bear. My bike should be here tomorrow and I can't wait to get it out on the trails. I must say this day is taking forever to go by. I'll post pics as soon as I get it together

mtbr member
    Slebrmd:
    I agree with Mustclime on one thing, you guys need helmets. But that video is sweet. looks like there some beginner to intermediate riding to be had there. '

To everyone else, I just woke up from my sleep and had to take some pain meds. I have had surgery on my right ear, losing about 90% of it to Basal Cancer. So after years of going without it I am now an advocate of Sunscreen. I used to do a lot of riding out in Utah and Colorado back in the day (1990's ) and never thought of using any. Now I am going to use a really effective screen. Looking for one around 50 spf or even more. Seems some of my heart meds makes me more prone to the sun. Although I lost my ear, the cancer was Basal and didn't spread any further than the exterior. Now I have to endure seven days of enforced idleness and my Monster just sits there tempting me.
    I will post a post-op picture on my profile, 'cuz for some reason i can't post it here.

Until later====================PEACE
    Oldbear===========AKA Fred
    Glad you are getting better and back out on the trail sooner then later. I know we screwed up, we packed everything and then some, but forgot to toss in the helmets. We do wear them. It is a great trail, has a little bit of everything, and a lot of roots. However no rocks, this isnt a rocky area. Definitely my favorite local trail.

mtbr member
    Hi everyone!

Just thought I would post a couple of pics the first will be my post-op selfie.Gravity Bullseye Monster-sunp0091.jpg
    As you can see not much left. Now for a shot of my MonsterGravity Bullseye Monster-sunp0038.jpg
    I am off the Fatty until next Tuesday. That's when i will have my stitches out. I want everyonr who rides even causally Please Please
    Please!!!!!!use your Suncreen. I am going to bathe in it.

Until later_++_+_+_+_+_+_+PEACE
    Oldbear>>>>>>>>>AKA fred
    :thumbsup:Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Well I am continuing to ride the GBM nearly everyday (everyday if you include short rides with the kids) And I can now say there is no question, when paired with a Road bike (alternate between the two) I am getting stronger, and faster very quickly.

I am still waiting for delivery of the new bars and 203mm rotor. So right now my bike is bone stock (except for my shin shredding welgo pedals). No question, at $499 this is the best fat bike on the market at any other price point

mtbr member
    Hi everyone!

Just thought I would post a couple of pics the first will be my post-op selfie.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0091.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	986525
    As you can see not much left. Now for a shot of my MonsterClick image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0038.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	986527
    I am off the Fatty until next Tuesday. That's when i will have my stitches out. I want everyonr who rides even causally Please Please
    Please!!!!!!use your Suncreen. I am going to bathe in it.

Until later_++_+_+_+_+_+_+PEACE
    Oldbear>>>>>>>>>AKA fred
    No more fights with Mike Tyson for you.......JK, get well and take care of yourself.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    GBM on some pretty sweet singletrack at SWK park in IL. Ends with a pretty pathetic lay down. Still not sure what happend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgBX...ature=youtu.be

mtbr member
    FrankenMonster
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-100_0900.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-100_0902.jpg
    I won't be reporting much on my monster because I had to combine my two bikes. The freehub on the fattie has developed a disturbing grid while rotating. And I destroyed the front end of the 29er by bending the rim and fork. I would love to fix both bikes properly, but work has been slow. So my bike fund contains about 38 cents. Thus the FrankenMonster was born. I could send in a warranty claim for the hub, but then I would have to get it laced up. I just don't see the point of doing that when I plan to build a new wheel set asap.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    I'd try to get warranty anyway. Even if they won't do anything, at least try. You should be able to swap the freehub with a big allen key. It's a pain, but can be done.

mtbr member
    I had a grind at one spot each rotation of the frehub. You couldn't feel it with the cassette attached when spinning by hand, you had to remove the cassette and spin the freehub by hand to feel the grinding. I tried to warranty and they said the bearing have tight tolerances and need to bed in. I rode it another hundred miles and it's gone. I'd still like to have a spare on hand.

mtbr member
    Hey Ho neighborinos!
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-sunp0088.jpg

Here's a pic of me before the cutting began. The hair will grow out and soon I will cover my ear with it. LOL
    I have a son, that maybe some of you readers of the 'fat biking abd health" might have seen and here is a pic of him with his el-cheapo Walgoose that somebody in our complex threw away.
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-sunp0092.jpg
    He had a Gravity Deadeye Monster ss but unfortunately it was stole along with my other bikes except My Good Old Monster that I was out riding at the time of the break in. He asked when he can get his monster back and I had to tell him we'd have to get another. So now all bikes in our family now sit in the Living room. It is a lesson learned not to trust cheap storage locker hasps in our apartment building.

On my recovery, I am anxious for Tuesday for the Doc to take out the stitches. Then I can back on my fatty and ride. So everyone get out and ride a couple for me anf Sean tomorrow.

Until later..........................PEACE
    Oldbear and his cub..........................Fred and Sean

Hooligan
    While we are posting pictures of ourselves, here is me on my bike:

I hope you can ride again soon fred.

mtbr member
    Thanks dirtdawg! Tuesday can't come soon Enough!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Tried out the 203mm rotor today, and it has certainly improved the braking. Both in power and control. Still waiting for the delivery of the handle bars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So I have close to 100 miles on the monster now. Both trail and street, I still can't get the smile off my face! I would have to say Im 100% satisfied with my purchase. I would like to give a huge THANK YOU to every one in this thread, like I said I'm beyond happy with this bike. I'll try to get pics up sooner the later but having to much fun riding. On another note great to see that old bear is going to get back on the bike soon, and thank you I really never put much thought into sun screen while on the trails.Until next time happy riding

mtbr member
    That's great news Fordzilla! Keep on truckin"! My Monster has over 1000 miles on it and it never gets old. Tomorrow morning is the big day. I get mmy stitches out at 9am. I am anxious to get back on my bike. I don't know if I posted these pic before, but, we'll try to get three in.
    This is a selfie of me pre-op
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-sunp0088.jpg
    Here is one the same day as the surgery.
    My new Yoda ear.
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-sunp0091.jpg
    Now for one of my Monster
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-sunp0038.jpg
    I will post one after the stitches come out. I hope every one has a great day and get out and ride your fatty!

Untgil later========PEACE
    Oldbear-------Aka Fred

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Quarry ridge trail

Rode at Quarry Ridge mtn bike trail today South of Madison. It was fun

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_20150513_105127.jpg

This is how the 203mm rotor looks installed

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_20150513_134348.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I have read every page of this thread over the last several days and I am seriously contemplating a BEM, Lurch or BEM Pro. I have never ridden a rigid MTB before but I also like the idea of picking up the BEM for $500 and buying another FS 29er sometime down the road just so I can get the bike sooner.

If it has already been answered I must have missed it but I'm assuming the BEM is not upgradable/compatible to the Bluto fork, correct?

Also a big thanks to everyone in this thread because without this thread I wouldn't have even considered a $500 online fat bike from BD and you have all sold me on their quality and customer service (if not their extremely cheap looking and unorganized website).

mtbr member
    it's 90s organized.

I don't think you'd want to put a bluto on the regular BEM. For the price, can't go wrong with the pro. I'm seriously contemplating it, but I have to sell 2 bikes before I can bring a new one home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlightMedic View Post
    I have read every page of this thread over the last several days and I am seriously contemplating a BEM, Lurch or BEM Pro. I have never ridden a rigid MTB before but I also like the idea of picking up the BEM for $500 and buying another FS 29er sometime down the road just so I can get the bike sooner.

If it has already been answered I must have missed it but I'm assuming the BEM is not upgradable/compatible to the Bluto fork, correct?

Also a big thanks to everyone in this thread because without this thread I wouldn't have even considered a $500 online fat bike from BD and you have all sold me on their quality and customer service (if not their extremely cheap looking and unorganized website).
    unfortunately, BEM is not compatible due to straight 1 1/8 ht. you would need a fork with straight steerer because bluto is taper only
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Ebay store link

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I really like the Pro but I made the mistake of telling my wife I wanted to spend about $500 on a new bike (I have pro-deal on another brand and was looking at a mid-level 29er). If I do get the BEM Pro I will likely have to wait until August when we get back from our road trip unless I can get stealthy and have BD bill half to two different cards.

Hooligan
    So it looks like my fork has been slowly bending over time.

Looks like It's dimpling a little bit too.

mtbr member
    So it looks like my fork has been slowly bending over time.

Looks like It's dimpling a little bit too.
    Hey Dawg: Are you going to get ahold of BD about a new fork? That looks pretty rough. Is it affecting the ride any? Itlooks like it is bent about an inch or almost. I am lucky I guess. But then I don't try to ride too Gonzo these days. I have a bit more weight before I will try anything too wild. Maybe ease off on the numps a bit Dawg. LOL
    I finally changed out my OEM chain today. I was starting to have little problem with rough shifting and a bit of jump in between the two front chain rings. the new Chain solved it. My riding buddy To who is also a bike tech did the change and some minor adjustments to the Derailuers. Next up new brake pads. But at 1100 miles that isn't too shabby.

I went out and did a few laps on the the trails today I put in about 16 iles in the dirt plus another three running an errand for my wife, Mama Bear. She wanted (Icecream from Krogewr's and I just had to go. LOL I had locked my Fatty to tghe lid of a trash can and when I came out I saw a Kid and His grandpa looking over the bike. The manasked all th eusual quuestions and his grandson was all ovewr the Bike. (He was about 4-5) When he lofted it he remarked how light it was compared to one he looked at at Wallyworld. (Read Dolomite) I wrote down BD's web address and he said that a fatty is what he's looking for.

Until Later ----------PEACE LOVE ANND FATNESS
    Oldbear and family ----------Fred, Sue (Mama bear ) and Sean (the Cub)

Hooligan
    Hey Dawg: Are you going to get ahold of BD about a new fork? That looks pretty rough. Is it affecting the ride any? Itlooks like it is bent about an inch or almost. I am lucky I guess. But then I don't try to ride too Gonzo these days. I have a bit more weight before I will try anything too wild. Maybe ease off on the numps a bit Dawg. LOL
    I finally changed out my OEM chain today. I was starting to have little problem with rough shifting and a bit of jump in between the two front chain rings. the new Chain solved it. My riding buddy To who is also a bike tech did the change and some minor adjustments to the Derailuers. Next up new brake pads. But at 1100 miles that isn't too shabby.

I went out and did a few laps on the the trails today I put in about 16 iles in the dirt plus another three running an errand for my wife, Mama Bear. She wanted (Icecream from Krogewr's and I just had to go. LOL I had locked my Fatty to tghe lid of a trash can and when I came out I saw a Kid and His grandpa looking over the bike. The manasked all th eusual quuestions and his grandson was all ovewr the Bike. (He was about 4-5) When he lofted it he remarked how light it was compared to one he looked at at Wallyworld. (Read Dolomite) I wrote down BD's web address and he said that a fatty is what he's looking for.

Until Later ----------PEACE LOVE ANND FATNESS
    Oldbear and family ----------Fred, Sue (Mama bear ) and Sean (the Cub)

To be honest, I think it rides better this way (due to slacker head tube). this wasn't the result of one jump, this has been slowly happening over time. I remember looking at it about a month ago and thinking "wow, that fork is pretty raked out" but not really thinking anything of it. Last night on a ride, sombody made a comment about my fork being bent, and then after looking at it objectivly I realized that it had gotten worse and they were right. It managed to bend perfectly straight and I can't tell while riding it. I will see what BD has to say. (I've been talking to them an awful lot lately).
    Worst case I may get one of those cheap suspension forks from alibaba. I heard that they ride pretty well, but have a big weight penalty.

mtbr member
    I had a steel fork fold up on me years ago. zero warning. Get it replaced.

The suspension fork will have a longer crown to axle length, so you'll get a slacker HT angle. I won't chime in if that's a good thing or not from a frame damage standpoint. I also wonder if there is enough frame clearance for the fork crown on the BEM if the handlebars turn 180 degrees.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Anybody know if those are the same forks offered on the Boris X7? The descriptions are different on the website but they are so different that it could just be two different ways of describing the same thing.
    It's all good!

Hooligan
    well, that was easy.
    not 2 hours after sending BD an email with the fork picture, they have replied and are sending me another. i say it every time, but these guys are awesome in the customer service department.
    at this point, i'm pretty much on a first name basis with Larry in the service department. he didnt even have to ask for my address.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    tried it out with the 720mm bars and DH stem, and WOW what an improvement. Better control and it automatically put me in a better balancing stance when standing and it is much easier t get behind the seat

mtbr member

Forgive me, fellow fatbikers, for I have sinned...

After riding the Monster all winter long through snow, ice, and sand, I've been riding my new 29er for the last several weeks. Today, with flats on my 29er and 26er, I took the Monster out to one of my favorite trails and had more fun than I've ever had on that trail. Small stumps on the new sections that smack the 29er around cried "uncle" as the Floaters ate them up. Man, that was fun. The setting sun is all that stopped me.

I'm upgrading it to 2x9 X7 as soon as I have the time, probably after Memorial Day.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-11012057_10206647406525909_6985656630043549205_n.jpg
    Bob Muller
    Trek Farley 5
    Gravity Bullseye Monster
    Trek CrossRip Elite
    Jamis Exile
    Trek 1500

mtbr member
    Was anyone who was deciding between the 20" and 22" get the 22"? I am 6'3" 31" inseam with a long torso. I am wondering if I should size up or down. I love having a big bike that I can stretch out on but don't want it to be so big that it hinders handling.

My daily rider is a 21.5" Trek FX 7.3 that is a high step-over for me but feels like I could have more height when I ride it, at least in the handle bars.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mtbr member
    I went with a 22". I'm 6'3" with a 33.5" inseam. I love the size. I don't feel cramped like I do on my 21" 29er.

Well, I put my monster back together. The frankenmoster wasn't any fun to ride. I did tear down the rear hub on the monster. The bearings are fine but the free hub has a narly grind. So hopefully it will hold out till I get my new wheel set built.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I am 5'10" and a 30" inseam and I bought the 16". I would not want it larger as the stand over height is about right (a little more would be better) but I think the 14" would have been too small. I'd be wary of going 22" in your case. In an normal 26" Mountain bike 18" is right for me, with the added height in tire size on fat tires 16" is better. You can always change the stem length

mtbr member
    Byron you have a point. The stand over on my 22" monster is way up there. I was much more concerned with reach then stand over when I bought mine. I also have really come to love short stems and wide bars and will probably never go back to longer stems. So with that in mind I will happily live with the leg lifts to get on the bike in exchange for the comfort while riding.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm 5'-11 and riding a 20". I like short stems and I like a slightly longer bike. I like the fit, but I wouldn't go any bigger. One size smaller probably would have been fine too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm 6'3 with around a 33" inseam. I ordered the 20" PRO over the 22 just because I'm coming from a BMX background and am used to smaller rides that are easier to whip around. After riding mine a bit, the 22 would have been just fine with the possibility of some standover issues, but I would have probably grabbed a shorter stem for it.
    As for my 20" PRO, I'll be getting some riser bars (20mm) in the future just for comfort.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast