Gravity Bullseye Monster - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Very nice. It almost makes me want to buy one.
    Video is now featured on the BD website!

mtbr member
    I saw that today, must have been recently added!

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Heck ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    Well done, Bugout. Well done!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    well shot and edited, but your video is more of a sales pitch and less of a review. seems you read the spec sheet with some nice footage of the bike in action.
    first review I have ever seen of a bike where the all steel rigid fork is attributed to the "super lightweightness" of the bike. 35 pounds is light? guess I better stop drinking the WW Kool aid.
    Im not a BD hater, and am planning on buying one of their sub $800 models ( trying to figure which one, thats why Im on this thread), but there had to be something to criticize on a 500 dollar bike , right? I wish you had elaborated on why 50mm rims are more versatile than 80mm rims, That info would be helpful.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Aireguitar, hi. I thought I did elaborate on the rims ? I said they are better for all around/all terrain / all season use because they have less real estate on the ground, less rolling resistance, yet, you can still adjust pressure to get more traction.

Also, I said 35lbs is light for the price and in comparison to other bikes in its comparable price range.

Please consider, this video wasn't just for knowledgable bike people like the people on his forum. It was designed for the average joe and tell them they have a good budget option for a fatbike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    thanks bugout, how does your bike work in the dirt? Im in SoCal, never snows, I will never ride any bike on a beach, im concerned about the under steer tendency of 4.0 tires on pavement/hard trails. Im leaning toward the BD 27.5 x 3.25 bike, I dont think I need the float some need for snow. also what size is your frame. Im between a 18 and 20 and seeing yours on tape gives me a good sense of size compared to a stock photo

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Finally got some q-tubes in. The monster with the BD 80mm wheelset and q-tubes is 34.4lbs for anyone who is curious

mtbr member
    Thanks for the weight bugout!

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Dietz,Yessir!

Has anyone had self steer issues with the mission Vee8s on 80mm+ rims? Took it for a ride tonight and the self steering was way worse than with the 50mm rims and Vee missions

mtbr member
    what does this selfsteer mean? you hang on to the bars and the bike turns by itself?
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Ebay store link

Hooligan

Re: Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Bugout Bikes View Post
    Aireguitar, hi. I thought I did elaborate on the rims ? I said they are better for all around/all terrain / all season use because they have less real estate on the ground, less rolling resistance, yet, you can still adjust pressure to get more traction.

Also, I said 35lbs is light for the price and in comparison to other bikes in its comparable price range.

Please consider, this video wasn't just for knowledgable bike people like the people on his forum. It was designed for the average joe and tell them they have a good budget option for a fatbike.

Good video, congrats on getting featured on the page. Did you send it to them with the intention of them using it?
    Thanks for being such a big player in this thread too, I apreciate your contributions.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Thanks dirtdawg! And thanks for this thread! 👍
    I just created the video for my YouTube channel. I didn't know they would like it enough to use it on the page so that's pretty darn cool!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Has anyone had self steer issues with the mission Vee8s on 80mm+ rims?
    Yes, until I found an accurate pressure gauge and realized they were at 4.5 PSI. Much better at 10 PSI.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by distracted View Post
    Yes, until I found an accurate pressure gauge and realized they were at 4.5 PSI. Much better at 10 PSI.
    I'll take a look again at the psi and make some adjustments. The self steer was so bad, I almost did have fun riding and wanted to throw the old wheels back on lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Dietz,Yessir!

Has anyone had self steer issues with the mission Vee8s on 80mm+ rims? Took it for a ride tonight and the self steering was way worse than with the 50mm rims and Vee missions

Ohh yeah. 80mm rims, Vee8s = really bad self steer below 7 psi.

I run 18-20 psi on pavement and 9-10 psi on dirt with no issues. The Vee8 lateral traction sucks in the snow so I don't even bother using them for that. On One floaters go on for snow duty.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Ya, it was probably user error (me LOL). My current pump is small and ghetto. Any recommendations on a good cheap pump that I can also use to over inflate the wheel is I have seating problems?

mtbr member

bb7 and speed dial levers

Swapped in my bb7's and speed dial levers from my old hard tail. Bumped the front up to 180mm. It's really incredible how much better the braking feels now. These levers are bigger and feel stronger. The brakes are smoother and have way more control. I cant believe I let myself get used to and OK with the old Tektro's!
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-front.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-front-b.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-rear-b.jpg

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Wow. Looks cool. What stem is that?

mtbr member
    Truative Hussefelt bars and stem. Really made for downhill but I like how wide they are. I wont use a 2 bolt stem like the one that came on it. They are always flexing and creaking. Make me nervous.

Swapping bars and stem is something that I have always done on every bike I own. It's amazing what you let yourself get used to from stock when it really doesnt fit. swap the seat, bars, and stem, and you can make almost any bike feel like it was made for you.

mtbr member
    Has anyone gone 1x? Im seriously considering a NW chainring up front. I think that would pretty much open up space in the rear for most and wheel/tire combo you could throw at it.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Jack, sounds like good advice !

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by JackNicholls62 View Post
    Has anyone gone 1x? Im seriously considering a NW chainring up front. I think that would pretty much open up space in the rear for most and wheel/tire combo you could throw at it.
    +1!

I hope so because I am also considering this!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Wouldn't the limit be the width between the chainstays?

With 170 mm hub on the GMP I dont think you can go much wider than 4-1/4" tire.

Seems the bikes with 190mm hub support 4-1/2" to 5" wide tires.

Maybe I'm totally wrong.

mtbr member
    not totally wrong, the stays would be the limiting factor in the 1x setup. It looks like it could probably go 80mmx4.5 tire. My concern though is with the cheaper wheels I would buy just a little bit outta true might cause some rub on the stays.

mtbr member
    what are the hubs on these bikes? Just some no name loose bearing cup/cone type deal? I assume the hubs are the same on the these and the Boris x5's?

Also, in the event that the crankset bearings go eventually, are the frames English threaded bottom brackets? So I could easily swap an x5 fat crankset if need be? Something like this for example?
    SRAM x5 GXP100 175 36 22 10 Speed Fatbike Crankset English Cranks Fat Bike GXP | eBay

Thanks -

mtbr member
    hubs are cheap cup cone with loose bearings. Personally I have no problem with that I always prefer a serviceable part to a throw away part. Bearings are cheap and so is grease. dont know for sure but would be willing to bet that they are the same hubs as on the boris x5.

The bottom bracket is a cheap square taper. it is a standard 100mm bottom bracket so your Sram x5 fatbike crankset you linked should fit just fine. another thing to consider is that you can use pretty much any ISIS crankset if you but a 100mm ISIS bottom bracket. this can be done for less than that x5 (if going cheap is what you are looking for)

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I have no problem with cup/cone hubs either, I've used many shimano that are just fine and easy to service.

The more I look into it, I think this is the bike for me. You can spend a couple hundred extra bucks, but at the end of the day you're still getting the same or similar frame, wheelset, and tires. Everything else is cheap and easy to replace and I have a bunch in the parts bin already that I can use to upgrade the cockpit. And I'll likely run 3.8 or 4.0 tires so no need for the 80mm rims. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    the way i see it now... Ive got 55 bucks into stem bars and grips (thank you amazon). parts bin welgo flats, bb7 brakes and levers.

555 in total and I have a decent bike. Really it's a toy for me in the winter. I know its not as good as one of the major brand bikes but it gets me out there.

As things break, replace em. jenson has sick deals...

My plan after i blow up the current drive train is to go 1x10. combo of SLX and vee components (rear, cassette, chain and shifter) runs about 125.
    plus 30 for the raceface NW ring from amazon
    personally I dont mind the square taper bottom bracket and I like the crank arms. So if it ever wears out its 40 bucks.

After all that 710 in and it is almost as good as the 1500 dollar bikes out there. Exception is the wheelset but again if you know how to service cup cone bearing systems then who cares!

Man I wish stuff would brake so that I could justify spending money.

mtbr member
    just weighed it at 35.9 as it sits. I geuss those q tubes must be worth it

mtbr member
    That's my take on it. I'm not going to argue that I'm getting a $1200 bike for $500. I enjoy tinkering/wrenching on bikes. I've done my research and understand what I'm buying and what the compromises are. I'm planning on buy some lighter tubes and will watch for some BB7 deals. Then upgrade as things brake.

Also, I'm not going to lie. That green color is awesome and you can't get that till you hit Boris x9 level!

mtbr member
    I'm with you the green is what made my decisions between this and the Boris x5

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Anyone know of any good but budget carbon handle bars and stem for the monster?

Also looking for a good lightweight and comfortable seat suggestion.

mtbr member
    Carbon bars and stem can be had cheap for sure, particularly if you don't mind waiting for it to ship from China. It's the length that kills you. There are lots of ~680mm but once you get into the 720mm+ there aren't many options under $100.

$24 w/free shipping for 680mm riser or flat bar (ships from USA, your guess is as good as mine regarding weight):
    Cycling MTB Mountain Bike Full Carbon Fiber Flat Riser Bar Handlebar 31 8mm | eBay

Here is a name brand one that actually gives you a weight, for around $45:
    ORBEA Riser OC III Carbon Fiber 31 8 Handlebar 670mm MTB Mountain Bike New | eBay

Here's a stem, lot of stems are "alloy wrapped with carbon" in the budget range, search around to find what size you need:
    Exotic Carbon Reinforced Stem Oversize 31 8mm Ext 80mm 1 1 8" Steerer Black | eBay

I've always been a fan of WTB rocket v or pure v saddles. This is the exact model that I use:
    New WTB Rocket V Race CR MO Rail Saddle Seat White | eBay

Good luck! I think the problem with "budget carbon" is that it's often the same or more weight than its quality aluminum counterpart. Just an observations as I've never used any carbon before. The made in china no name stuff scares me away and I can't afford Easton stuff.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    Carbon bars and stem can be had cheap for sure, particularly if you don't mind waiting for it to ship from China. It's the length that kills you. There are lots of ~680mm but once you get into the 720mm+ there aren't many options under $100.

$24 w/free shipping for 680mm riser or flat bar (ships from USA, your guess is as good as mine regarding weight):
    Cycling MTB Mountain Bike Full Carbon Fiber Flat Riser Bar Handlebar 31 8mm | eBay

ORBEA Riser OC III Carbon Fiber 31 8 Handlebar 670mm MTB Mountain Bike New | eBay

Here's a stem, lot of stems are "alloy wrapped with carbon" in the budget range, search around to find what size you need:
    Exotic Carbon Reinforced Stem Oversize 31 8mm Ext 80mm 1 1 8" Steerer Black | eBay

I've always been a fan of WTB rocket v or pure v saddles. This is the exact model that I use:

Good luck! I think the problem with "budget carbon" is that it's often the same or more weight than its quality aluminum counterpart. Just an observations as I've never used any carbon before. The made in china no name stuff scares me away and I can't afford Easton stuff.
    Wow! Thanks man!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anyone know of any good but budget carbon handle bars and stem for the monster?

Also looking for a good lightweight and comfortable seat suggestion.

blueskycycling.com has Easton EC70 for 45-60 bucks.
    Name brand, light and strong.

When I see these deals (2012-13) models, I snag 3-4 of them.
    It's like Nashbar, they sell XT Shadow 9-speed for as low as 50 bucks.
    Dealer cost is about 77. I get at least 5 when the run that deal.

JM

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Awe ya! Got a carbon handlebar (China) and origin8 stem headed my way! $50 extra into the bike now leaving $150 left for upgrades.

Next, I would like to upgrade saddle/post and brakes. Suggestions??

mtbr member
    Saddle is all about fit. I put the retrospec urban/fixie saddle on all oft bikes. Light, durable, and perfect fit for me. Rock hard though. If you ride it you want padded shorts. It goes on Amazon prime for 12 bucks. I usually keep a few of em around. The post is 27.2, this limits options. My favorite cheap post is the raceface ride. Cut it down to save weight. Can be found for under 30.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Saddle is all about fit. I put the retrospec urban/fixie saddle on all oft bikes. Light, durable, and perfect fit for me. Rock hard though. If you ride it you want padded shorts. It goes on Amazon prime for 12 bucks. I usually keep a few of em around. The post is 27.2, this limits options. My favorite cheap post is the raceface ride. Cut it down to save weight. Can be found for under 30.
    Thanks jack!

Anyone have any suggestions on the best brakes for the price? For fun, I've decided to build the monster in to a bullseye gravity "BEAST" lol

Also, for those of you wondering, the stock handlebar and stem are 515 grams (so, going light weight and/or carbon will probably save you about 180-200ish grams)

mtbr member
    Thanks jack!

Anyone have any suggestions on the best brakes for the price? For fun, I've decided to build the monster in to a bullseye gravity "BEAST" lol

Also, for those of you wondering, the stock handlebar and stem are 515 grams (so, going light weight and/or carbon will probably save you about 180-200ish grams)
    Thanks, that's great news. Shouldn't be too hard to drop a half pound from the front end. I'll save 190 grams with parts-bin bar/stem plus whatever from the Q-tubes.

I'm going to order the bike today. I'm contemplating just ordering some Floater tires too and selling the missions as new take offs. I'd like to at least try the missions but I haven't heard a single good thing about them. Thoughts?

Also, what size are you guys riding? Obliviously it's preference to a point, but I'm 5'11" and wear 30" jeans. Actual inseam ~31.5 till the boys are in trouble. I'm 99.99% sure on the 18" but wanted feedback. My FS bike is a 19" prophet.

Prophet: 29" standover and 625mm ETT w/ 60mm stem
    Monster: 29.8" standover and 599mm ETT w/ 80mm stem (my plan)

mtbr member

29+

With a Gravity Vidar 29+ tire mounted on a regular 700c rim, just a mock up check for clearance:

You're not supposed to mount a big tire on a ~25mm (outer width) rim, but I leaned it over pretty far on the street, and didn't find anything objectionable.

Compared to the full fat setup I'd just been riding, even putting a skinnier tire just on the front made the bike feel a lot more lively.

With a Surly Knard on a Blunt 35 rim. I have the tire mounted on a 100mm hub (it came off my single speed), so I used a long metal rod through the axle to roughly locate the wheel in the correct spot:

The tightest clearance is to the front derailer cable:

Since I will likely convert this bike to 1x at some point, this is no concern for me.

I see a Minnesota Fattie Slims wheelset in my future...
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    With a Gravity Vidar 29+ tire mounted on a regular 700c rim, just a mock up check for clearance:

You're not supposed to mount a big tire on a ~25mm (outer width) rim, but I leaned it over pretty far on the street, and didn't find anything objectionable.

Compared to the full fat setup I'd just been riding, even putting a skinnier tire just on the front made the bike feel a lot more lively.

With a Surly Knard on a Blunt 35 rim. I have the tire mounted on a 100mm hub (it came off my single speed), so I used a long metal rod through the axle to roughly locate the wheel in the correct spot:

The tightest clearance is to the front derailer cable:

Since I will likely convert this bike to 1x at some point, this is no concern for me.

I see a Minnesota Fattie Slims wheelset in my future...
    Wait.... Are you 100% sure fattier slims will fit? If so, in buying them now! Let me know!

mtbr member
    The 9 speed cassette won't work the stock 8 speed stuff on the BEM, but otherwise the wheels will line right up.

Wait.... Are you 100% sure fattier slims will fit? If so, in buying them now! Let me know!

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

So, I'll just need a different cassette?

I have a shimano 11-34 8 speed on order. Would that work?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

I notice these parts on Amazon also for about the same price or less.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the stock x4 RD will go 9 speed if the limit screws are adjusted? I have a spare xt 9 speed cassette and could source a x7 rear shifter for $20. Besides the gear range, I'm sure that stock cassette isn't light.

mtbr member
    That would work fine.

So, I'll just need a different cassette?

I have a shimano 11-34 8 speed on order. Would that work?

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Sweet. I'm totally going to order some

mtbr member
    I just ordered a pair myself

Sweet. I'm totally going to order some

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

What was the total cost on yours? I just ordered and it ended up being $120. Little shitty since it said shipping was free, then charged me $19.99 for it. And the 8% active junky thing didn't work. Wtf lol

mtbr member
    Same thing, $120. There was a "*" next to the free shipping, which excluded wheels (and probably bikes and frames as well)

What was the total cost on yours? I just ordered and it ended up being $120. Little shitty since it said shipping was free, then charged me $19.99 for it. And the 8% active junky thing didn't work. Wtf lol

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Gotcha.

mtbr member
    Has anyone taken off the freehub on a Monster? I can't figure out how to get mine off. It grinds a little and does not spin nearly as well as it should. BD sent me a replacement when I asked about it, lickety-split. The new one spins nice and I have the tools to install it, but I can't figure how to get the old one off.

It feels kind of embarrassing. I'm no bike mechanic, but I've wrenched bikes at home since I was a kid, and I spent 8 years as a military aircraft mechanic and never lost a bird.

Also, I mounted my Floaters tonight (and put the Missions on my wife's Dolomite, along with a Shimano Megarange 14-34 freewheel). We're supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow overnight. I'm getting up early to hit it before work. It had better not end up being rain...
    Bob Muller
    Trek Farley 5
    Gravity Bullseye Monster
    Trek CrossRip Elite
    Jamis Exile
    Trek 1500

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbird99 View Post
    Has anyone taken off the freehub on a Monster? I can't figure out how to get mine off. It grinds a little and does not spin nearly as well as it should. BD sent me a replacement when I asked about it, lickety-split. The new one spins nice and I have the tools to install it, but I can't figure how to get the old one off.

It feels kind of embarrassing. I'm no bike mechanic, but I've wrenched bikes at home since I was a kid, and I spent 8 years as a military aircraft mechanic and never lost a bird.

Also, I mounted my Floaters tonight (and put the Missions on my wife's Dolomite, along with a Shimano Megarange 14-34 freewheel). We're supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow overnight. I'm getting up early to hit it before work. It had better not end up being rain...
    Is it a shimano style freehub that threds into the hub shell? Or some kind of pawl system? I've never had this hub open, so A picture of what they sent would help.
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    freehub is probably 10mm hex wrench for removal , look at park tool website for directions

mtbr member
    I just ordered mine this morning. Will post up some pics when i get it put together.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

It's a naked bullseye monster! Any suggestions on colors? The bikes new name is going to be "bug-out 1"

mtbr member
    Nice! How labor intensive of a process was that?

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Dietz, I've got 3 hours into it. But, I'm very picky lol.

Primer is on!

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Update. Painting went ok. It will look good but, it's not as smooth as I would have liked. Oh well. First time lo

This phone pic doesn't show the color too well. Sorry. I'll take some better ones tomorrow.

The color is oregano. And text says "BUG-OUT"

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Learned a ton during this paint session. Overall, I am happy with the turnout. But, I did ding up the paint several times and completely messed up the lettering which then had to be hand drawn instead (oops). Also, if you do paint yours, remember, just because the paint feels dry, doesn't mean it is 100% dry. Lol

mtbr member
    spray paint would never be hard, its always very easy to chip doesnt matter what paint you use. in bay area we get frames sand blasted and powder coated for about $80-120. well worth it
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Ebay store link

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Akacoke,

I used automotive overcoat/acrylic. So, this paint is as strong as the paint on your car. Oh, and it's important to mention I lost .22lbs after the repaint!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Another Green Monster

I have been on mine for three great rides so far. Mods include 80mm BD wheels with Vee8's, different seat and post, 9-speed XT cassette (all from parts bin). Swaping out parts it is still 35 pounds. I don't mind the bar and stem after adding some used Ergon grips. I bought this specifically to explore beautiful Northern California beaches. I have been experimenting with tires. I tried Vee8s and Floaters. I like the handling of the Floater on the front. It improved my handling a lot. However, with 80 mm rims the clearance in back is minimal. Today I road with a front Floater and rear Vee8, and eventhough wierd looking, it performed well.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-combotires0.jpg

Rear floater clearance minimal (1/8" left chainstay), had rubbing once sticky sand built up on edge of tire.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-giantlog0.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-floaterfit0.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-megawood0.jpg  

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Breaking trail.

Even with the stock wheels it's a lot of fun. I know it's not a popular opinion, but the missions on 50mm rims are plenty capable when aired down.
    However I still miss my floaters, and really hope that on one gets back to me tomorrow.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Dirtdawg, I think you should go orange on the floaters. Could be cool !

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

I need some technical help. I stuck a hyper glide cassette onto my 80mm BD wheelset (on my gravity monster). And it's working ok except, it's skipping the fourth gear. I've tried adjusting the screws and check the derailer hanger. Anyone happen to know why their might be happening? I put the original cassette back on and it works just fine.

mtbr member
    I need some technical help. I stuck a hyper glide cassette onto my 80mm BD wheelset (on my gravity monster). And it's working ok except, it's skipping the fourth gear. I've tried adjusting the screws and check the derailer hanger. Anyone happen to know why their might be happening? I put the original cassette back on and it works just fine.

Not sure about that cassette specifically... I would try adjusting the dérailleur starting on the 4th. Get the tension right for that gear and then tweak it to the rest. Limit screws should have Zero impact on that gear. It's all tension.

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

On Saturday we got a really good snow storm, and it packed beautifully.
    Unfortunately it's all getting buried, I went out and road in the blizzard last night.

Around 2am it got too deep to ride.

^^as you can see, the snowshoes fit with more space than the floaters.

mtbr member
    Still on you mission tires? Looks like a fun ride!

Hooligan

Still on you mission tires? Looks like a fun ride!
    For the storm I broke out the big guns and ran snowshoes on 80mm rims.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    For the storm I broke out the big guns and ran snowshoes on 80mm rims.

This may have been discussed else where but I missed it if it was. So the snowshoes on the 80mm rims fit with no clearance issues in the back?

Hooligan

This may have been discussed else where but I missed it if it was. So the snowshoes on the 80mm rims fit with no clearance issues in the back?
    On the 80's it rubs in the inner most gears, but I don't use them so its not a problem for me.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-uploadfromtaptalk1422398457367.jpg

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks man. You've been a huge help in this thread!

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Mail call!!

New Origin8 pro fit stem (135g) and BB7 brakes with HS1 rotors

Hooligan

Awesome, thanks man. You've been a huge help in this thread!
    Not a problem! I'm glad that my thread has been useful to so many people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Does anyone know if the stock x4 RD will go 9 speed if the limit screws are adjusted? I have a spare xt 9 speed cassette and could source a x7 rear shifter for $20. Besides the gear range, I'm sure that stock cassette isn't light.
    I'm thinking about picking one of these up and throwing on an X7 shifter I have and a new cassette in the rear. This thing has a cassette, right? Not a freewheel? The X4 rear derailleur uses 1:1 actuation so any like SRAM shifter would work.
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw
    2013 Salsa Colossal Steel
    1991 Trek 750

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's a cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggsie View Post
    I'm thinking about picking one of these up and throwing on an X7 shifter I have and a new cassette in the rear. This thing has a cassette, right? Not a freewheel? The X4 rear derailleur uses 1:1 actuation so any like SRAM shifter would work.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Update.

New carbon fiber bar, stem, carbon fiber seat post, saddle and BB7 brakes installed.

New weight 33.69lbs (with only 1 q-tube. Other had a hole)

mtbr member
    Finally had some real snow. Rode in the storm the first night...

Gravity Bullseye Monster-20150126.jpg

On semi-plowed roads the second night...
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-20150127.jpg

And went to a state park today. The Floaters have been great in the snow.
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-20150128.jpg Gravity Bullseye Monster-20150128b.jpg
    Bob Muller
    Trek Farley 5
    Gravity Bullseye Monster
    Trek CrossRip Elite
    Jamis Exile
    Trek 1500

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Here's the new weight with both q-tubes. 33.38lbs

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Time has come...

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

mtbr member
    Is that a different color? It looks much less neon green than the earlier green ones.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

I dont think so. Probably the fluorescent light drowing out the brightness.

mtbr member
    After a 4 mile ride my first impressions are very good. If anything I was expecting a little less out of the components I suppose. The components are very acceptable as is. The brakes are not good but I knew this would be the case and already have some shimano hydraulics on order. Got some deore's for $87 and I'm going to sell the tektro's as a full package with rotors on ebay. I should be able to recoup about half of the cost, so ~$40 to upgrade seemed like a no brainer. I think the stock brakes are fine for just cruising around but I plan on using this on single track to go fast too so I need some more power. The tires are not terrible, they're the mission command 72tpi version. Again, I knew these weren't the best tires when I ordered but they'll until I can get new ones. I'm going to order the black floaters when they're in stock. The stock junk pedals actually gripped my boots very well. Unfortunately, about 2 miles into the ride the bike started making a knocking when my right crank was at the top of a revolution. I swapped pedals when I got home and it's gone. So the pedals didn't even last one ride. Again, no big deal but I'm actually kind of bummed since they worked and I don't have any other flats. I'll probably just get some DMR V8's for $30 and call it a day. I didn't realize it was 25.4mm handlebar/stem diameter until I took everything off the bar and tried to put a 31.8 one on...doh! I felt bad cutting brand new grips off but those suckers were on there. Reminded me why I use lock-ons exclusively. My biggest surprise is how nice the drivetrain feels. The X4 shifters/derailleurs are pleasant to use. I have X7/X9 on my other bike and while the shifts are a bit more crisp with that setup the x4 isn't sloppy by any means. Weight posted above is with new seat and post which saved about 1/2lb. So figure about 35 stock for an 18". Quite acceptable for a $500 fat bike IMO. After tires, light q-tubes, stem, and brakes I'm riding it till something breaks. At that point I'll have about $700 into it.

mtbr member
    The paint around the top of the headtube is a little bit chipped on mine. It's about 1/2 of the circumference of the headtube. Not a big deal but something I noticed. The rest of the finish is great.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-0130150705.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0130150706.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Must be " what-ever color is in the gun that day"?
    Much darker.

Mine has an MFG. date of Nov. '14 ( even thou it was delivered a month earlier)?

Went back to the stock seat since my wife and son will be riding this.

JM

mtbr member
    Thats a sweet color you got.

mtbr member
    I think yours is 27 or 29 plus color. I did notice that they added red! Red would be sweet!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I think yours is 27 or 29 plus color. I did notice that they added red! Red would be sweet!
    Yes, it was a 27.5+.

Man, I WISH it was red! Still not hating that shade of green.

JM

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Still too much fresh unpacked snow to ride trails out here.

We went and did shuttle runs on a sled Hill instead.

Stupidly fun.

mtbr member
    Did you hit the sweet jumps at photo right?

Hooligan
    Did you hit the sweet jumps at photo right?
    you bet! got bucked pretty hard. makes me want to go to a ski slope and hit the terrain parks.

mtbr member
    Different frame--note the tapered head tube.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMagic View Post

Must be " what-ever color is in the gun that day"?
    Much darker.

Mine has an MFG. date of Nov. '14 ( even thou it was delivered a month earlier)?

Went back to the stock seat since my wife and son will be riding this.

JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Different frame--note the tapered head tube.
    Good eye!
    It's not tapered, just bulges, top and bottom.
    The headset is loose (again). Don't think I have any in stock that will fit but will check.

I might make a fork for it, (dual-crown, carbon, ridged).

Will be making fender plugs/molds soon.
    JM

mtbr member
    Alright ladies and gentlemen, I'm getting impatient waiting for the Floaters to come back in stock at Planet X. I'm guessing 4" is about as wide as I can get away with on the 50mm rims, is that assumption correct? I was thinking about a bulldozer up front but I'm worried about the tire rolling in corners. If I had it my way I'd drop $240 on 120tpi nates but that's not going to happen. I can get the 27tpi Nates with a coupon for $59 each with free shipping, but worried about the weight.

The missions aren't fun to ride in the snow. I still think my best option is waiting for the floaters but I dont want the whole winter to come and go by then. I've emailed Planet X and they were to be in stock in "2 weeks", that was over 2 weeks ago. So I emailed a few days ago and they didn't have a date.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Alright ladies and gentlemen, I'm getting impatient waiting for the Floaters to come back in stock at Planet X. I'm guessing 4" is about as wide as I can get away with on the 50mm rims, is that assumption correct? I was thinking about a bulldozer up front but I'm worried about the tire rolling in corners. If I had it my way I'd drop $240 on 120tpi nates but that's not going to happen. I can get the 27tpi Nates with a coupon for $59 each with free shipping, but worried about the weight.

The missions aren't fun to ride in the snow. I still think my best option is waiting for the floaters but I dont want the whole winter to come and go by then. I've emailed Planet X and they were to be in stock in "2 weeks", that was over 2 weeks ago. So I emailed a few days ago and they didn't have a date.
    Just order the Floaters from the UK website. I ordered mine on Monday and got them on that Friday to Chicago, IL.

On-One Floater Fat Tyre | On - One

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

I tried but shipping is nuts. You paid $70 to have em shipped?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-uploadfromtaptalk1422738394641.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I tried but shipping is nuts. You paid $70 to have em shipped?
    Yikes! No, my shipping was only $34. In total, it was only $134 for two floaters shipped.

Looks like they have raised the shipping price since I got them, which was only a month ago.

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Went for a 20 mile ride on snowmobile trails today. It's the only place that's packed enough right now.

In other news on one got back to me and said they would send a new set of tires Monday. I'm glad they made it right, I was really digging the floaters. They would have been hugely helpful on my ride today.

mtbr member
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-image.jpg

Couldn't help it! 1x10 here we go! Can't wait for it to get here.

mtbr member
    Calling for lots of snow tonight. Early morning ride in the powder is in order

mtbr member
    Real nice on the 1x man!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    So I've purchased a Gravity Bullseye Monster, rode it for a few minutes stock then stripped it down.

Currently:
    Shimano XT Hydraulic Brakes
    Shimano XT rotors 160 rear 180 front
    Raceface Turbine Fatbike crank
    Absolute Black 34t Oval chain ring
    shimano xt shadow plus derailleur with radcage
    shimano xt cassette 11-36 w/ Oneup 42t cog
    easton carbon bars
    Bontrager stem

I still want to put the wider wheels on, and after reading through here I still don't have a solid answer if the 100mm hoops I have will fit with a 4" tire. The fork looks to have plenty of room but the frame is questionable.

could someone confirm or deny this positively for me?

mtbr member
    See post 674, doubt 100mm would work out back.

Slso, pics please!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Good job!

See post 674, doubt 100mm would work out back.

Slso, pics please!
    First, thanks for the quick answer even though it makes me a little sad. I actually use my climbing gears, so even 80mm is out for me it seems. I really wanted to use these hoops.

(Dirty)Pics as requested(I got caught on a sandy trail as it started raining today):

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Calling for lots of snow tonight. Early morning ride in the powder is in order
    Had about 7" (and counting) of wet snow this morning to ride through. 80 mm rims, Floaters @ 5 psi and it made it through no problems if I was going completely straight and had momentum. As soon as I took even a slight turn or stopped, it was a hot mess. It was really tricky to get going again from a dead stop in snow this deep & loose with the Floaters. I went down to practically 3 psi but 5 psi seemed to be the sweet spot. I can see why a different front & rear tire are much better for snow. The Floater on the front worked well but not-so-well on the rear. My wife's "Big Adventure" rear tire did better. I may put the Vee8 back on the rear until the snow gets compacted.

Super fun though.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

The mission tires did much better in hard pack (as expected) but still terrible in corners (also as expected). Man, i need new tires! Great ride regardless.

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Garner View Post
    First, thanks for the quick answer even though it makes me a little sad. I actually use my climbing gears, so even 80mm is out for me it seems. I really wanted to use these hoops.

(Dirty)Pics as requested(I got caught on a sandy trail as it started raining today):

I may be mistaken, but i think he was getting rub w/ 80mm rims and 4.7 snowshoes. I think you're fine w/80mm and 4.0 tires. Not positive tho since I havent tried it.

mtbr member
    I'm still on the missions and really can't hate on em. They're not the best obviously but in a storm like we got in Chicago last night everyone Is slipping around

mtbr member
    My main beef was the front end washout even in hard pack. Need some knobs not 2mm ramped Vs. I agree though, they are quite usable. I was planning on selling mine afyer i get new ones but I just watched a folding pair go for $39 plus ship on ebay. For that price ill definitely keep mine for the summer.

mtbr member
    I went out and did some local riding this morning, connecting up a few singletrack trails in the parks with some paved multi use paths in between:

This is my first extended experience on a fatbike, and I gotta say, this thing is slow. Especially on the lightly snow covered paved trails, it was just a painful grind to get from point A to point B. Once in the woods, it was OK, but I'm still working to make it more fun... mostly by something like this:

After I slogged my way home, I swapped out the fat wheels for some 29 Plus tires mounted on my new Fattie Slims wheels. I turned around and re-rode some of what I just did. What a transformation! It felt like riding a normal bike, not something pulling a sledge. I need to try the fat wheels in some deeper snow, but in the 1~4" of snow I rode today, the 29er was better just about everywhere.

mtbr member
    Swithced the direction of my rear mission. Tire weighed 3lb8oz. Tube was 1lb. Total rear wheel weight with skewer, cassette, wheel, tube, tire was 9lbs! So yeah...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Well I hated these mission tires so I drilled holes in them and put some stove bolts thru the back side and nutted them on the front side. May have added a bunch of weight but I don't slip or spin anymore I can come to a dead stop on icy concrete too.

mtbr member
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-image.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-image.jpg

Pretty good up to about 6 inches. Dropped the tired to about 4 psi and felt stable. Honestly after this ride I'm not spending money on tires

mtbr member
    Looks fun! Maybe thats my ticket, ill try lower pressure next ride. Running 10/8 all rides so far.

mtbr member
    Yep go as low as you can. I think if I went lower the bead woulda slipped... Just find the sweet spot

edit* riding on such low tires takes some getting used to. Almost like flat tires. They sit flat and get tons of traction though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iRideDrunk View Post
    Well I hated these mission tires so I drilled holes in them and put some stove bolts thru the back side and nutted them on the front side. May have added a bunch of weight but I don't slip or spin anymore I can come to a dead stop on icy concrete too.

Those studs look look pretty cool. What did you do on the inside to protect the tube? Duct tape? Would be interesting to try but I want to be able to ride on dey stuff too

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Garner View Post

You're running a 1x setup, so your chainring is further out than my 22t (climbing gear). You should be able to run 80's no problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Those studs look look pretty cool. What did you do on the inside to protect the tube? Duct tape? Would be interesting to try but I want to be able to ride on dey stuff too
    The tape just wouldn't stick so I cut up some inner tube squares and super glued them over the screw heads. I definitely doomed these tires to be ice/snow-only tires tho. I just like to tinker and experiment

I also tried running these at high pressure and I like it a lot. Feels faster with high pressure and the studs take care of the traction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

New question here.

Greetings all !! Very informative thread here, Thanks !!

I have had a rigid Lurch pre ordered since November and just got an email saying it would be another 2-3 weeks at least before they got through the port congestion out in LA. My main reason for getting a fatty is so I don't put my Salsa Vaya through the brine and salt in the winter here in Iowa. A lot of long touring is done on it and want to keep it solid for that reason. I would do some single track with the fatty but nothing crazy like DD does. Mainly to just get around/commuting during the winter months with limited fun in the summer when I feel like it.

After reading through this thread I have a hair trigger to call BD and have them switch my order to one of these. The geometry looks pretty similar. I am 5'10" with just over a 32" inseam and chose a 20" Lurch based on LBS testing and recommendations in the Lurch thread. From what I read in hear everyone would probably recommend the 18" in the Bullseye correct? I am looking not to be cramped in the cockpit and it will be more of a commuter in the winter.

Will I really notice a difference going from 190 - 150 to 170 - 135 hub size and the difference in rubber profile and size limitations in my intended use? Huge difference in drivetrain?? (never ridden SRAM before..)

Now while I really liked the orange with the Lurch my choice of Bullseye would be the black. Heck, for the price difference I can paint it...

Any and all feedback is appreciated !!t

mtbr member
    Name:  DeronInPogies 2014-11-22.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  62.8 KBI am 5'6" with 32" inseam. I bought the 18". My husband who is 6'1" also with a 32" in seam fits on my bicycle.

mtbr member
    No way I'd go up to 20" unless my inseam was in the 34" range. Im 5-11 with 32 actual inseam. look at the standover numbers on bikes direct. Also figure if you dismount in snow your shoes may well sink another inch. Reach and be tuned with stem and saddle position if need be. I cant comment on rims size since ive only run the stock 50. The sram componts seem to be quite competent and i haven't had issue with them...granted i have 20 miles on the bike.

YMMV, fit is personal and all those disclaimers apply!

mtbr member
    full winter gear:Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_0216%5B1%5D.jpg

I've found the snowboard helmet and goggles are perfect for winter riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyThirty View Post
    I am 5'10" with just over a 32" inseam and chose a 20" Lurch based on LBS testing and recommendations in the Lurch thread. From what I read in hear everyone would probably recommend the 18" in the Bullseye correct? I am looking not to be cramped in the cockpit and it will be more of a commuter in the winter.
    I'm 6' with a 34 inseam and like the 20. If I was using it for more aggressive riding, I might go 18.
    Bob Muller
    Trek Farley 5
    Gravity Bullseye Monster
    Trek CrossRip Elite
    Jamis Exile
    Trek 1500

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" and riding a 20". I could have fit the 22", but I wanted try a little smaller frame in hopes to increase the maneuverability.

By the way, my cassette was skipping on one of the small cogs. A quick email to BD, and a new cassette is winging its way towards me. Nice!

mtbr member
    I Agree.

I LOVE the 18" and the smaller frame would have not fit well. I have a 32" in seam and have over 150 miles on my bike.

Can you tell me what YMMV is please.

mtbr member
    Greetings all !! Very informative thread here, Thanks !!

I have had a rigid Lurch pre ordered since November and just got an email saying it would be another 2-3 weeks at least before they got through the port congestion out in LA. My main reason for getting a fatty is so I don't put my Salsa Vaya through the brine and salt in the winter here in Iowa. A lot of long touring is done on it and want to keep it solid for that reason. I would do some single track with the fatty but nothing crazy like DD does. Mainly to just get around/commuting during the winter months with limited fun in the summer when I feel like it.

After reading through this thread I have a hair trigger to call BD and have them switch my order to one of these. The geometry looks pretty similar. I am 5'10" with just over a 32" inseam and chose a 20" Lurch based on LBS testing and recommendations in the Lurch thread. From what I read in hear everyone would probably recommend the 18" in the Bullseye correct? I am looking not to be cramped in the cockpit and it will be more of a commuter in the winter.

Will I really notice a difference going from 190 - 150 to 170 - 135 hub size and the difference in rubber profile and size limitations in my intended use? Huge difference in drivetrain?? (never ridden SRAM before..)

Now while I really liked the orange with the Lurch my choice of Bullseye would be the black. Heck, for the price difference I can paint it...

Any and all feedback is appreciated !!t

Lurch is a better bike hands down. Wait it out if you can you wont be dissapointed! The GBM is a good bike for the money, a good upgrade platform. Honestly on the Lurch I probably wouldnt change a thing X7/X9 stuff, snowshoes, BB7, it's what us GBM folks are trying to get to!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

mtbr member
    I agree with Jack, if you want to buy a bike and ride it without fussing around replacing things, then the Lurch would be a better choice IMO. The Lurch also has Novatec hubs (cartridge bearings I believe?) VS no name cup/cone hubs. I really do like my Monster and I love to tinker/upgrade thing, but I'm not going to lie, I'd trade my Monster for a Lurch in a heartbeat. Although I would perfer Nates or floaters, Shimano hyrdos, and I already have x7/x9 stuff so that made my decision easier too.

Untimately you'll need to decide for yourself. My gut says that you'd be happier with the lurch.

mtbr member
    wow, yeah...buy whatever they have in stock! haha...seriously though, from what I've read on these forums it seems like BD is having a tough time getting bikes and their dates often keep getting pushed back.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I love steel bikes, so I looked long and hard at the Lurch. Two big things kept me away from it:

- wide bottom bracket and corresponding wide Q factor

- track ends (I HATE these things)

Too bad, because the geo looked pretty good. And it was steel...

I agree with Jack, if you want to buy a bike and ride it without fussing around replacing things, then the Lurch would be a better choice IMO. The Lurch also has Novatec hubs (cartridge bearings I believe?) VS no name cup/cone hubs. I really do like my Monster and I love to tinker/upgrade thing, but I'm not going to lie, I'd trade my Monster for a Lurch in a heartbeat. Although I would perfer Nates or floaters, Shimano hyrdos, and I already have x7/x9 stuff so that made my decision easier too.

Untimately you'll need to decide for yourself. My gut says that you'd be happier with the lurch.

mtbr member

- track ends (I HATE these things)
    Very good point, I didn't even notice the track ends since I never really researched the Lurch frame. I much prefer vertical drop outs also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marna_Kazmaier View Post
    I love this quote from the article:

"The bikes can cost upwards of $6,000. It costs $2,500 alone for the wheels and five-inch-wide tires built to grip snow and ice."

hahaha

mtbr member
    Just got back from a ride. I have changed a couple of opinions. First off the brakes arent as bad as i first thought, they seem to have bedded in. Still swapping to hydros when my order gets here but they arent horrible. Secondly the missions aren't horrible either. Id still like some knobs but i went to 6psi both ends and gained a huge amount of traction uphill and cornering.

Solid advice in this thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks for all the input guys.

Wide bottom bracket had me a little worried as well until I rode an Ice Cream Truck and it really didn't bother me.

On the comment of not have to mess with things on the Lurch... you must not have read through the thread... there are still things to mess with... albeit any bike you will have some things to dick with...

Still on the edge since the purpose of this purchase isn't for a bike that will become much more than something to keep my Vaya out of the crap in the winter... by the time I get anything now that almost won't be a friggin problem LOL.

mtbr member
    Well I'm in. My silver XL should be here Wednesday. This thread has been an interesting read. I buying this as a winter / sand / backup bike. I have a beautiful expensive rigid steel 29er rocket ship that I put away during the winter for maintenance and upgrades. I can't fathom giving up that speed demon(max recorded speed of 42 so far) for a fat bike, but I do want to commute during the winter and the idea of riding all the beaches at Presque Isle is appealing.

I don't plan on many upgrades, but I do have a few in mind. I'm going 1x right from the start. I HATE front derailleurs and decided a while back that I would never run one again. I have a spare N-gear jump that will replace the derailleur and I'm going to pull off the 22t. I also have a stem, bar, and grips in my parts bin that will go on. I also expect to fork out $15 for a HG20 cassette. And I don't want to to spend the money on a backup bike, but it's likely the monster will have a set of BB7s and 160 HS1s by next winter.

Xethur

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looking to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys, just dont know whether to go with the 26×4.0 or the 29+ ×3.0...

I live in south texas, owned a few 29ers and 26ers...just want to try something new....im thinking the 26 would be a lil Harder to ride due to the wheel size...any advice would be greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    One option I wished I'd done was to buy the 29er and then buy a second 26 fat wheel set. I believe all the frames are the same except for the wheels they come with and color options. I really like the 27.5 green color.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've been debating the same thing. I'll probably end up with the 26x4.0 and build another wheel set for 29+. I'm thinking is that I'd rather the 29er wheels be lighter and better quality than the 26.
    Last edited by bigeyedfish; 02-07-2015 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    The BD 29+ model has something like 480mm chainstays, that's stupid long. I thought long and hard about the 27.5+ model when I got my BEM, but I wanted to try out the fatter tires. For all around biking, the 27.5+ is probably a better wheel size. If you do buy the 27.5+ model, you can get a decent set of 26" fatbike wheels and tires for another $200. You can also make a 29+ wheelset by combining the Fattie Slims 29er wheelset ($120 shipped) with some Gravity Vidar tires ($40 each/shipped), though the narrow rims on the Fattie Slims aren't ideal for wide tires. So, lots of options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I went with tbe 27.5...thx

mtbr member
    I'm getting my money's worth out of this thing.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-10450801_10205910764670323_8776584664469186839_n.jpg
    Bob Muller
    Trek Farley 5
    Gravity Bullseye Monster
    Trek CrossRip Elite
    Jamis Exile
    Trek 1500

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Now idk if i should call bikes direct and tell them to gimme the 26 instead of the 27.5 .....what yall think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by security58 View Post
    Now idk if i should call bikes direct and tell them to gimme the 26 instead of the 27.5 .....what yall think?
    You can add the 26x4 with "free V's" for 200 bucks shipped.
    You can NOT order any 27.5+ wheels (from them for that cheap).

My friend that gave me my frame, mostly rides with the 27.5's (hard-core racer type).

I have been having a blast and not really riding any other bikes.
    Really got it dialed in for matching (my custom 29'r) fit with some swept-back bars.

A little more upright than my 29'r. Good for having fun and riding with the wife and kids. The weather here has been in the 70's!

25+mi. on the S Platte river trail yesterday.

TOO much fun for a few 100 dollar investment!
    JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Pumped the tires up to 15-16 psi for cement and gravel riding.
    Pretty much eliminated the "self-steer".
    Still pretty compliant over some dried mud trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Got a pic with the 27.5x3.25 setup?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Got a pic with the 27.5x3.25 setup?
    My buddy used the 27.5's for his other frame he kept.
    It was an "offset rear stay" model so he built a new rear wheel for it.
    I got the original 27.5 bare rear wheel. No tires.

If they had a set for those prices I would buy. Will probably just use the 170 rear I have on another build.

Isn't there a pic on their site with the 650b+'s???

JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    He also said, (if I recall correctly), that the 27.5's weighed in at 7lbs, compared to the 10lb (for front only), 26x4's.
    Should be a 6lb (fr.+rear), lighter build?

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Still think this bike rocks! Great ride yesterday!

mtbr member
    Still think this bike rocks! Great ride yesterday!
    what rack is that on the back?

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Tbh, I don't remember. I'll take a look real quick.

Here's a link to a pic of it: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA==/z/L~wAAOxyFiRRzi1P/$T2eC16d,!y0E9s2S7w6SBRzi1Pnpeg~~60_57.JPG

Still looking for the brand

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMagic View Post
    My buddy used the 27.5's for his other frame he kept.
    It was an "offset rear stay" model so he built a new rear wheel for it.
    I got the original 27.5 bare rear wheel. No tires.

If they had a set for those prices I would buy. Will probably just use the 170 rear I have on another build.

Isn't there a pic on their site with the 650b+'s???

JM
    What's the link for the 26x4.0 shipped for $200...is it wheels and tires?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Update.

New carbon fiber bar, stem, carbon fiber seat post, saddle and BB7 brakes installed.

New weight 33.69lbs (with only 1 q-tube. Other had a hole)

What name brand seat is that? Btw nice color scheme

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Thanks, it's a retrospec fixie seat.

mtbr member
    What's the link for the 26x4.0 shipped for $200...is it wheels and tires?
    Looks like they're $250 now. Yes, wheels and tires. They were just $200 last week.

FREE SHIP 48 STATES* FAT BIKE Wheels Wheelsets + FREE TIRES PROMO SALE 120TPI Folding Bead Vee Rubber Vee8 26x4inch Tires

mtbr member
    Tbh, I don't remember. I'll take a look real quick.

Here's a link to a pic of it: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA==/z/L~wAAOxyFiRRzi1P/$T2eC16d,!y0E9s2S7w6SBRzi1Pnpeg~~60_57.JPG

Still looking for the brand

Amazon.com : Sunlite Gold Tec Sport Rack - (Black) : Bike Racks : Sports & Outdoors

This looks like it. I could just barely make out "Sunlite" on top on that link you posted. Did you have to bend to accommodate the 170mm rear end or was it adjustable? That's the part that confuses me. Thanks much!

mtbr member
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-untitled.jpg
    Must be very recent, website still says $200 but when you click the link to order it's $250.

Looks like they're $250 now. Yes, wheels and tires. They were just $200 last week.

FREE SHIP 48 STATES* FAT BIKE Wheels Wheelsets + FREE TIRES PROMO SALE 120TPI Folding Bead Vee Rubber Vee8 26x4inch Tires

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks, i called BD to see if they can give me the 26x4.0 version but it was too late, my 27.5 had shipped already lol....so will i be able to mount 26x4.0 on my 27.5 then?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    According to their website, that frame should fit 26x4.0 and 29+.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    10-4

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have had the27.5 since Oct. and picked up the 26x4 wheelset, fits great...

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Got the new brake installed, I had to cut the lines and swap levers (bought from UK) but everything went very well, no bleed necessary.

Hung it up in the garage so my wife's car will still fit.
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-0210152226b.jpg

Wrapped the chain stay since it's already got a few chips taken out of it.
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-0210152227.jpg

I went for a short 5 mile ride after the brake upgrade and it's amazing how it changed the bike. I can now bomb down hills without checking my speed the entire way. This thing is really starting to feel like a real mountain bike. Planet X is supposed to get more floaters this week and I plan on picking up a pair of those. I think after that I'll have this bike pretty dialed for my wants.
    Last edited by dietz31684; 02-11-2015 at 06:42 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm getting tired of waiting for the On One Floaters to come back in stock. If it doesn't happen this week I'm either going with Nates 60TPI or possibly the Panaracer Fat B Nimbles.

mtbr member
    Check out the new kenda juggernaut

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Devist8er ul looks ok for the price

mtbr member
    My bike arrived and I figured I'ld post my first impressions. This being a $500 bike I got exactly what I expected. The fit and finish of the frame was a plesent surprise. I have to admit that I've gotten use to expensive parts so the cheap bearings felt like sand paper and I really hope they smooth out. The rear wheel does need to be trued and I'm not happy about that but the BD site did warn me that might happen. I converted it to 1X but it didnt go as planed. I had forgotten that the front derailuer was bb mounted and I didnt have a spined removal tool so for the moment the derailer itself is acting as my chain catcher. I also swapped out the bar and stem for some cheap name brand stuff.
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-monster1.jpg
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-monster4.jpg
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-monster5.jpg
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-monster3.jpg
    The scrap pile from my brand new bike
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-monster2.jpg
    my super secret tool to reconnect the chain

I'll post more after I put some miles in.

Xethur

mtbr member
    I'm really enjoying this much more as a 29+ than as a fatbike:

Much faster, more nimble, and, strangely, smoother.

mtbr member
    I am glad to hear you are enjoying your new bicycle!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Did you go with the fattie slims or something different?

mtbr member
    Fattie Slims. Not the recommended rim for fat tires, but it's working OK so far. I'm not running super low pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by bigeyedfish View Post
    Did you go with the fattie slims or something different?

mtbr member
    Got out for a short shake down ride yesterday. Only 1.3mi but it was -2F and I don't have proper gloves yet. I was very happy with the way it climbed the big hill and the way it floated over the drifts of snow. I was not impressed with the cassette. It jumped and clunked, But I was expecting that from reading this thread. I'm planning to swap in the old XT 9 speed setup from my 29er when I upgrade it to a 10 speed. I also plan to upgrade the brake pads to some TruckerCo pads, run full length white cable housings, and swap the pedals for some vp bear traps.

On another note, its going to take me some relearning to ride this thing. I'm in the habit of leaning during cornering from lots of miles on my 29er. As you can imagine that doesn't work so well in the snow even with fat tires.

Xethur

mtbr member
    The floaters are back in stock at Planet X USA. Just ordered a black pair.

I was out for a short 5 mile ride today, some deep snow in the woods where the sunlight isn't hitting all day. I aired down to 5psi but it was still tough going...the paths where people walk were a lot of fun though. Especially along the edge where there is still some powder but it's packed below.

mtbr member
    Hopefully someone can chime in. That bike seemed like a good deal with the bluto but i could find very little info on it when i was shopping. Regarding the grease etc, i had no issues on mine. Everything was perfect down to the derailleur alignment.

mtbr member
    Name:  MarnaRidingOutfit 2015-02-15.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  71.6 KB

I Love My Gravity Bullseye Monster! Even on very COLD days!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Will i be able to fit a bluto on my 27.5x3.25....thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xethur View Post
    Got out for a short shake down ride yesterday. Only 1.3mi but it was -2F and I don't have proper gloves yet. I was very happy with the way it climbed the big hill and the way it floated over the drifts of snow.

[Xethur
    I love Pogies. They keep your hands warm, and the wind off, without having huge gloves to mess you up when you shift gears or brake. I also like that I can wear my bicycle gloves under the pogies and still have the cushion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xethur View Post
    Well I'm in. My silver XL should be here Wednesday. This thread has been an interesting read. I buying this as a winter / sand / backup bike. I have a beautiful expensive rigid steel 29er rocket ship that I put away during the winter for maintenance and upgrades.

Xethur
    I would be interested to know how you feel about the bicycle after it arrives and you ride it a while.... <smiles> You might be surprised how much you like your "Back up Bicycle".

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Will i be able to fit a bluto on my 27.5x3.25....thanks in advance
    I dont think so. I dont believe they have a tapered headtube.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Have been having a blast riding this bike!
    Have many bikes to choose from and this one keeps getting all my early (feels like spring in Denver) riding.

Should have monster power when I switch back to racing bikes. Will still ride this if going with the wife or kid.

Have not had any issues with "rough" bearings or anything else.
    Never even "went over" everything like I "politely" remind customers to do.
    Adjusted the front brake (kind of weak but adequate) and front der.
    Rear der. was spot-on from the beginning.

Picked up a bunch of thorns on my last ride so finally had 2 flats.
    Other than that the stock tires/tubes did not leak 1psi since Christmas.

The rims have a lower spoke bed than the bead shelf? Kind of weird but maybe common among fat rims?
    This caused me to bail on a first attempt at tube-less. And understand the "sill-seal" method for building up the spoke bed.

Need to find out a little more about the "cosmetic"? rim strip; does it hold air by it's self or do you need additional tape there?

Great fun bikes. Look forward to building one in the near future.

JM

mtbr member
    JohnnyMagic, what is that above your BB? Is that a hard sided frame bag?

Also, what bars are you running? Looks like maybe mary or clarence? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The bars are Kona "handplant.
    Have been wanting to try "swept" bars since the original Titec "H" bars came out.

Really like the hand angle and position they put me in.
    The AL REALLY feels stiff and harsh compared to the EC70's (carbon) bars.

The "bag" is a hard carbon toolbox I whipped up;

Held on with the bottle boss' at the seat/down tubes. Fixed at the bottom just above the bb. 240g's total.
    Decided not to put an access door on it. Just 3 (Ti) bolts on the left and I made a "bag to fit inside to hold tubes/tools/etc.

Been using a backpack for water since moving to CO.

JM

mtbr member
    Thanks for the details. Im like you regarding the sweep bars, never used them but I like the "idea" of them, haha. They give a unique look but its hard for me to imagine riding single track in that position. Guess its something I'll just have to try eventually to see if I like them. Real nice work in that box, pretty damn cool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I like the bars so much, (but not the harshness) am thinking about pulling a mold off of them?
    This would be a "bladder" mold. I always work with "open" or on anything "closed I use tooling foam cores.

Might be worth the learning exp.?

(bar shots)

mtbr member
    Ive never used carbon bars so I have no idea what I'm missing. Probably better that way...

Your bike looks killer BTW. One of the nicer monsters I've seen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks for the details. Im like you regarding the sweep bars, never used them but I like the "idea" of them, haha. They give a unique look but its hard for me to imagine riding single track in that position. Guess its something I'll just have to try eventually to see if I like them. Real nice work in that box, pretty damn cool.
    I knew I liked "bullhorn" on X-Cross and I used to like bar-ends.
    For me, bar ends do NOT belong on riser bars (totally cosmetic reasons :-)

Those weighed more than the stock BD boat anchors (360-something g's!!??)

Thanks!

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Sorry I've been quiet, school is busy and there's too much fluffy dry snow to do much riding anyway.

I have been trying some new tires though.

Nates on 80's are a tight fit, but they clear.

And I was wrong about larrys, after riding them for a bit, they are actually a pretty good tire. Good balance of grip and smooth rolling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marna_Kazmaier View Post
    I would be interested to know how you feel about the bicycle after it arrives and you ride it a while.... <smiles> You might be surprised how much you like your "Back up Bicycle".
    I put in 12.5 miles the other day. I still have some issues to work out. 6th gear jumps constantly so I've been skipping it. The tires self steer/wobble so I'm going to get the wheels trued, buy a better tire gauge, and play with different pressures. The saddle made the boys numb so I'm looking at the pure v. I've always had better luck with less padding. I'm very happy with my fat bike but I still can't wait to get back on the 29er, but that's what happens when you build a bike from the ground up to perfectly suit yourself. What I enjoy the most about the fattie is the ability to continue riding when the 29er is put away. It's going to relieve a lot of the cabin fever I develop during the winter. That's why I bought it. I still stand by the fact that it's exactly what I was expecting for $500 and I'm good with that.

Xethur

mtbr member
    New pedals arrived. Just some cheap $15 VP bear traps in white. I've used them before so I'm fairly certain they will suffice.
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-100_0809.jpg

And I don't want to give people the wrong impression. I'm not unhappy with my purchase. It all started with the thought that a fattie would be nice for winter time. A few google searches uncovered a in stock mongoose dolomite at a local walmart so I went to see it. Turns out there is something riveting about Fat tires. Soon I discovered this thread, then I stopped in at my bike store and held a Trek Farley and I was in love, untill I asked the price. Back to this thread I came and after some more reading I concluded the same as others. I could afford a gravity and ride it as I worked to accumulate cash to upgrade. Its much easier to convince the wife $30 or $50 at a time vs $1800 for a Farley. I know I said I wasn't going to spend much on my back up bike, but who really believed that? My list of future upgrades has grown.

-I have full length Jag Wire White cable housings on the way and I will prep them to give everything the smooth feel it should have.
    -Origin8 80mm wheels
    -Origin8 Dev8 UL or some Surly tires and probably going tubeless
    -The 9 speed XT drive train off my 29er (when I upgrade to 10speed on the 29er)
    -BB7s, SD7s, and 180 HS1s
    -Race Face NW 32t chainring
    -a two bolt seat post and a new saddle
    -some Egron GA1 grips, white of course

That will put this bike in at about $1200 which I think is pretty awesome all things considering. Until then I will ride and ride some more and some more and keep you posted. I can't wait to ride the beaches. I have somewhere around ten miles of beach here....

Xethur

mtbr member

Gravity Bullseye Monster

I got new pedals and qtube super lights. It's been easy to drop a couple of pounds from the stock weight. I'm quite happy with the drive train. The drivetrain and the wheels/hubs won't be replaced until necessary. The Floaters are coming on Wednesday. After they're installed the bike should be about 33# even and remain there for a while.

Pictures of tube weights. I saved about 0.90lbs (408 grams). I wouldn't necessarily buy lighter tubes for the fun of it, but I needed a spare to carry so I figured I'd give the qtube lights a try as they're actually one of the cheaper options for fatbike tubes at $8.00. The pedals are Redline LoPro model w/ replaceable pins.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-0219152055.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0219152025a.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0219152118a.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0219152025d.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0219152111.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-0219152054.jpg
    Last edited by dietz31684; 02-20-2015 at 05:11 AM.

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

Forgot to mention that I recently got a ground control too.
    It's significantly bigger than the nate, and makes a perfect front. As a pair they are a really good combo.

Did I mention that we have an absurd amount of snow?

mtbr member

Some work through the cold

Rust and wear finally got me. I also bent my smaller chainring. So I replaced some parts.

I couldnt afford 250 for 80mm wheels so I ordered Origin8 80mm rims off ebay and laced them to the current hubs. I was actually happy to do that since I had packed the bearings and they spun perfectly. Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_0285%5B1%5D.jpg

Tires on it rubbed on the lowest gear. Figured this might happen so had my stuff to go 1x ready!
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_0299%5B1%5D.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-img_0302%5B1%5D.jpg

Losing the granny gear up front may as well get some range on the rear so I went with the 11-36 10sp cassette and a zee derailleur
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_0301%5B1%5D.jpg

Love my new rimsGravity Bullseye Monster-img_0296%5B2%5D.jpg

And the bars are clean without the front shifter.

Hooligan
    Rust and wear finally got me. I also bent my smaller chainring. So I replaced some parts.

I couldnt afford 250 for 80mm wheels so I ordered Origin8 80mm rims off ebay and laced them to the current hubs. I was actually happy to do that since I had packed the bearings and they spun perfectly. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0285[1].jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	966181

Tires on it rubbed on the lowest gear. Figured this might happen so had my stuff to go 1x ready!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0299[1].jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	966183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0302[1].jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	966185

Losing the granny gear up front may as well get some range on the rear so I went with the 11-36 10sp cassette and a zee derailleur

Name:	IMG_0301[1].jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	966187

Love my new rimsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0296[2].jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	966188

And the bars are clean without the front shifter.
    How is your chainline in the lowest gear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    How is your chainline in the lowest gear?
    It's actually better in the low gear than the high. I'm thinking about losing the bash guard and moving the ring outside if it gives me any problems. But with a clutch derailleur and NW chainring I dont think itll be bad at all. Hard to show in the pictures... But I think you can see that it is straight enough.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-img_0304%5B1%5D.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-img_0305%5B1%5D.jpg

Hooligan

Gravity Bullseye Monster

It's actually better in the low gear than the high. I'm thinking about losing the bash guard and moving the ring outside if it gives me any problems. But with a clutch derailleur and NW chainring I dont think itll be bad at all. Hard to show in the pictures... But I think you can see that it is straight enough.

Name:	IMG_0304[1].jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	966214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0305[1].jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	966215
    I don't think I would move the sprocket out any further. I realized that the reason I was cracking cassettes and folding chainrings was because I was mashing on a bad chain line. Since the snow I have started using the 22 and spinning, my drive train longevity has greatly improved.
    I'm thinking about going 1x with a 26t ring, but that range would likely be lacking in the summer.

mtbr member
    I went 32 front and 36 rear. I cant imagine needing a lower gear here in IL. There's always the 1-up options for the rear.

10sp stuff is so cheap now its hard to stay away. zee shifter,zee der., raceface chainring, deore chain ad cassette. All $120 shipped. Remember though if you want taller than 36 in the back the zee would need a 1-up cage. better off going XT. I just got Zee stuff hoping to never worry about breaking anything.

Another note.... crank arms are soft. The removal threads stripped on the drive side when using my puller. I've never had that happen. and when punching it off I caused more damage than I would have expected. Not terrible and still useable but a little dissapointing. you will want to be more careful than I was when pulling the arms off.

Removing the front der. because of the direct mount bracket requires taking the non drive side off and cap for the bottom bracket. then the BB appart on the drive side.

I think this helped the chainline issue you bring up DD. The bracket was essesntially a spacer.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast