Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
Results 2,401 to 2,469 of 2469
    mtbr member
    Burizado, with your inseam I would go with the 20. The 22 would be in your crotch if you slipped off the bike and werenít on flat ground. I have a longer inseam, 35 maybe even 36, and I am pretty comfortable but I could easily have gone with the 20 and been good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Awesome! Thanks for the info Smithe! Pulled the trigger on the 20" just now!

...now the waiting game begins!

mtbr member
    I think you will like it, I am really liking mine, canít wait for the snow flies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hey guys! This thread has me thinking long and hard about getting one of these. I am no stranger to fat bikes as I used to own a Surly Ice Cream Truck. I loved fat biking but I had a kid on the way and a house to buy so I sold it and now my main ride is a Redline Monocog 29er. I love the Monocog but I am considering selling it to get one of these as my one bike for year round riding. I will probably run it singlespeed during the nicer months and then during the beautiful Minnesota winters i will put the gears back on it. Has anyone tried this cassette or another one like it? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F3HKHP1...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    I had 1x10 with a 42t granny gear on my Surly and it proved itself very necessary when the snow was deep and soft. I don't mind having an 8 speed drivetrain (especially since it will be mainly a winter thing) but if I can get more range out of it that would be great.

Also what size is the seatpost on these bikes? Is it 27.2? The bikes direct site doesn't say specifically.

Thanks! Eric

mtbr member
    I just went with one of these big 8 speed cassettes when I was needing to replace my cassette anyway. The jumps between gears is definitely noticeably bigger, but that great-grandmother of a granny gear is nice to have when you need it. I won't go back to the smaller cassette.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Seatpost is 27.2 diameter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    I just went with one of these big 8 speed cassettes when I was needing to replace my cassette anyway. The jumps between gears is definitely noticeably bigger, but that great-grandmother of a granny gear is nice to have when you need it. I won't go back to the smaller cassette.
    Yeah i don't mind the big jumps between gears. I don't shift often anyways being a singlespeeder 98% of the time I tend to mash the pedals rather than spin but having the bail-out gear is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by JPmtb View Post
    Seatpost is 27.2 diameter
    Excellent thanks!

lumen junkie
    Oct 2009
    14" frame is the right size. I'm about 5'6" and it works for me. I have not installed a ten speed yet but I could
    Is there enough seatpost on the 14" to fit someone 5'8"? I'm looking to get one that my wife and I can both ride. Thx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_SC View Post
    Is there enough seatpost on the 14" to fit someone 5'8"? I'm looking to get one that my wife and I can both ride. Thx.
    There is plenty of seat post left for me, but the 14Ē will probably be on the smaller side for you. Youíre probably the upper limit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone see this yet? I think it is fairly new since I've been on the website almost daily checking for a 22" burnt orange:

Gravity 2019 Bullseye MonsterFIVE
    FIVE INCH Tires Fit* Fat Bikes

There is also an "X" version with 1x10 and I'm assuming upgraded components, and a "FS" version with front suspension.

Now the decision to wait until October for the regular GBM, or go with the 5" version now for $200 more.....

mtbr member
    May 2016
    watts888

I've been riding the amazon air fork for about a year now and can report that it is still working great! I'd post a pic from my recent ride in CO but since the last time i posted, the pics process has gone mandarin. at any rate i am highly satisfied with the purchase. a lot of cheaper air forks reviews report issues at colder temps. i rode consistently through the colder months (granted im in TN and the coldest ride would have been in the 30s F) and only had issues once. perhaps storing my mike inside makes a difference. here is the fork i bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    Just a head up from todayís ride. I ride some seriously chunky dirt due to cow post holes and cracking / upheaval. I was bombing down a chunky dH section and heard a weird ďpingĒ. I finished off a few more turns and I could tel something was up.

Inspecting the bike showed the rear QR had completely popped loose the wheel was only in the dropouts due to the weight.

This could have been disastrous. I had just recently did a 100% check so this wasnít something I hadnít checked lately. I cinched it up and finished my ride with no issues, but might be worth a warning to others.

The QRs donít look chintzy but they also donít look high end. I might go pick up a rear quality one just for piece of mind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    That could have been bad! Out of the whole gbem, the rear qr has been my main concern, wish it was 177 ta. I ride everything from trails to jumps and light dh. Maybe time to grab a hope or salsa qr. Anyone upgrade this part? Suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I have never had a problem with the QRs on my GBM, but I had a similar problem with the rear Maxle on my HAL Boost TEAM 27.5+. I fixed it by using a sturdy zip-tie through the hole in the end of the lever and around one of the rear triangle members to keep the lever from popping up for whatever reason. No problems with this fix so far. For what it may be worth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Mastodon on the Monster

Finally got the 120 mastodon pro installed. The knob on the right was just hitting the downtube, I went from zs/zs headset to to a cane creek angleset with an ec lower. The stack height gave the clearance needed, and the adjustable cup raked the head angle out 1.5 degrees. Rides great, Love how plush the fork is, the h/a from the angleset also made the bike more stable at speed (and my toes dont hit the tire anymore lol).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity Bullseye Monster-fb_img_1537900661007.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-fb_img_1537900656606.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-fb_img_1537900643874.jpg  

Gravity Bullseye Monster-fb_img_1537900650248.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks sharp!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Pulled the trigger on a 22" GBM5. Pre-order says it ships Oct 15th to Nov 15th. Will post pics once put together. So much harder waiting a month than the normal 7 days for bikes in stock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Just received my 2019 GBM in Stealth Gray. Picked it up on Wednesday and assembled it after work. I took my time assembling, about two hours, to be sure everything was tight and lubricated. The stock pedals are really bad, they do not roll nicely and when screwing in, the spindles are not even straight, so I have some new flats coming today.

I rode it around the yard on Wednesday night and around the neighborhood Thursday and Friday evening. First impressions are good, except those crunchy pedals.

mtbr member
    Just picked up a black GBM for my daughter and the burnt orange version for my wife. The picture on the website does not do the orange color justice. It is a more subdued orange and it's good. I would have considered that instead of my black. But I forgot how heavy the stock tires and tubes are. I've had Kenda Juggernauts on for almost a year now. But my wife and daughter are both happy with it as is. As things wear out, I'll upgrade theirs just like I did with mine.
    Last edited by iliketexmex; 10-06-2018 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Well I have been riding mine for about 6 months and I think the rear hub might be going out. I am noticing a grindiness periodically while pedaling under high torque conditions (steep/burst power). Don't think its the BB as there is no play when I push / pull on the cranks from side to side.

6 months seems a bit premature for failure given I am also riding my 2008 Giant Reign 2 in the same terrain for literally hundreds, if not thousands, of miles and have no problems with the hubs on it. Uggh, going to take the wheel in to a local shop and have them check it out.

mtbr member
    if you email bikes direct they will probably send you a replacement. I had a similar issue and a replacement part in a week. Whenever I get a bike from those guys I double check everything is tight anything that needs grease has enough grease etc. That's the downside of buying online. A good LBS will do that stuff for you.

mtbr member
    if you email bikes direct they will probably send you a replacement. I had a similar issue and a replacement part in a week. Whenever I get a bike from those guys I double check everything is tight anything that needs grease has enough grease etc. That's the downside of buying online. A good LBS will do that stuff for you.
    Good suggestion, thanks. Iíll give it a go!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    OK, so I just got done reading through this thread, and as if I needed another reason to buy another bike....I'm buying one of these for sure! I'm really stoked to try some winter riding!

I have one question, regarding sizing, for those of you that own the GBM or GBM LTD

I'm 6' tall, and my current bike (Trek Marlin) is a 19.5" frame (correct size for me, according to Trek), it fits me great, and is comfortable to ride.

According to BD I should be on a 18" frame, but my Trek is 19.5 which is obviously closer to the 20", my instinct is to buy the 20", but I don't want to end up with "too much bike"...can any of you suggest which way to go?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    For me, riding in snow definitely calls for errors toward the smaller frame size. I was between a medium and a small and very glad I got the small. Even with the big tires it is nice to have increased "bailability". (Is that a word?) for the time you will inevitably slide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    For me, riding in snow definitely calls for errors toward the smaller frame size. I was between a medium and a small and very glad I got the small. Even with the big tires it is nice to have increased "bailability". (Is that a word?) for the time you will inevitably slide.
    Yeah, I was thinking about that too, which is why I've also been eyeballing the Boris X5 as well, it appears to have a little lower stand over....but the GBM gets a lot of love over here, so I've been leaning that way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I am 6'3", 32" inseam. I had a Trek 19.5 and needed a set forward seat post to get my body over the pedals properly. I went with the 18" because it is easier to make a slightly smaller frame fit than a larger one. The stand over height for me is perfect. I did need to use a set back seat post to get over the pedals properly. The stem and handlebars work well too. I have a BGM.

mtbr member
    Went tubeless with the mulefut wheels, added a 42t cog, 180mm ice tech rotors, and made some fenders. Really happy with how she rides now, went from 35.6 lbs to 33 lbs, 2.4 lbs of rotating weight is noticeable. Extra gearing gets me up some steep hills and more stopping power is awesome when coming back down.
    Hey JPmtb, I am slapping a 11-40 cassette on mine. With your larger cog addition did you need to lengthen your chain and/or add a hanger extender?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I did not extend the chain and it shifts great after some adjustment, but i would recommend adding a couple links, as my derailleur is noticeably stretched forward when in the lagest cog.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Smile

So, I bought a bike, I ended up going with the 2018 Gravity Bullseye Monster LTD.

It checked a lot of my boxes, and gives me a cheap entry into the Fat Bike world, I hope mine ends up being as reliable and fun as many of you have said!

A bonus for me was, BD is currently blowing out LTD models, fortunately for me they had some left in my size (and color)...they currently show as "price to low to show", so you have to add it to your cart to see the price.....

$388 shipped!

Way better than the original $599, with the savings maybe I'll buy some new tires (since the Vee's seem to get lousy reviews), or maybe I'll buy some wider bars & a shorter stem? Either way I'm stoked and can't wait for it to get here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    $388 for the ltd and $488 for the xx, quite a steal!

mtbr member
    I did not extend the chain and it shifts great after some adjustment, but i would recommend adding a couple links, as my derailleur is noticeably stretched forward when in the lagest cog.
    If anyone is considering adding the Sunrace CSM680 (11-40T) you WILL need to install the derailer hanger extended (provided with cassette purchase) at least for the GBMC. In addition, the BD hanger does not sit flush in the extender, so I had to use my Dremel to remove a slight bevel / lip for the hanger to sit flush. After that I still had to extend the chain, well in essence I replaced it with a fresh full length SRAM PC870. After putting on the stand I got everything aligned and it shifts like butter through the whole range. My son should appreciate the new low end gears. I rode it around the block tonight and it felt like googly legs in the low gear even up a decent hill lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Good info, i almost went the sunrace route. The expander cog was on a whim ebay purchase, and probably why i didnt have to do much with the derailleur. I will be installing a fresh chain soon.

mtbr member
    Hi everyone!

It's been quite a while since i last shared with you all. I am on my second GBM. It's a 2017 GBM Pro. My original 2014 GBM has over 3000 miles on it and still rides great. I gave it to one of my sons that just loves it.

My Pro has had a few mods to it. First, i replaced the original tires. I run a Vee Snowshoe XL 4.8 up front and a Vee H-billie 4.25 rear. The only drawback is to this set up is that you can't run a 4.5 on the rear because of the 170mm rear spacing. Next up I replaced the stock pedals with VP platforms. The stock platforms went over to the other fatty. Then I changed the grips to some ergonomic ones a friend sent me.
    The Pro is a really fine ride. I have arthritis and the combination of shock, tires and grips make it handle much better and ease my pains.

I would, if I had the chance, get one of the new GBM Fives. I would get the stock non suspended models and change out the fork for the pro's bluto. That's about it.

But for those of you on the fence, get a GBM you can't go wrong.
    Until Later
    Oldbear
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    OK, so while I'm waiting for my GBM LTD (coming Friday!!), I'm looking at a couple upgrades. I'm going to swap out my stem for a 45MM 10 degree rise (the factory one is 110mm...way too long), but I'm not sure if the existing handlebar will work, my stem is for a 31.8 bar, does anyone know what the bar diameter is on these? The webpage says they are 700mm width, but no bar diameter is listed.

Second, I wanna swap out the seat clamp, for a QR version, does anyone know the seat post diameter?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Seat post is 27.2, the bike already comes with a qr clamp. Bars im not 100%, but I think they are 31.8.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Seat post is 27.2, the bike already comes with a qr clamp.
    Right You Are!! I must have been looking at a different model and got mixed up. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    OK, I'm back with more questions!...plus the thread's been slow for a couple days so I figured....ask more questions!

My GBM LTD should be arriving tomorrow (so stoked), and the grips & peddles are arriving Monday!

My question is about tires, can anyone confirm the MAX size you can squeeze onto this bike? I have a line on a pair of near new Surly Bud/Lou tires, but they are 26X4.8" the LTD comes with 26X4.25"...I'd rather not buy tires that will rub, can anyone confirm these will fit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    On page 22 of this thread someone put maxxis 4.8's, it was an extremely close fit and I think minions run on the small side for 4.8's. Im not sure if that was the 50mm or 80mm rims. 4.4 would be a better bet for max. I would really like to fit a 4.6 but the chain line looks like it would rub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Cool-blue Rhythm It's Here!

It's here!

I spent some time putting it together & greasing things up, it actually showed up well greased...then I took it for a quick 30 minute ish ride.

First impressions...The paint on this bike is beautiful, the metal flake is so nice (it can only really be appreciated in person).

The "fit and finish" is excellent, I had to do a slight brake adjust, but the shifting is crisp & spot on, no adjustment needed.

One thing I noticed, the listing on BD says this bike is suppose to come with 26X4.25" Vee Rubber H-Billies, mine actually showed up with 26X4.25" Vee Rubber Bulldozers...don't know if these are better or worse, but it's what I have.

What I did right away was:

-Replace the grips with Race Face Half Nelsons.
    -Replace the pedals with Race Face Chester's
    -Switch the rim strips to blue to match
    -Ditched that awful looking plastic guard behind the cassette.

I only have a couple negatives (if you could even call them that).

-The bars are just to narrow for this beast, and there really is no rise (new bars & shorter stem on order)
    -The fork is actually a 1.125" straight steerer, despite the fact the bike can actually take a tapered fork (there is some sort of weird adapter spacer in there now...I'll replace the fork with a carbon fork eventually anyway.

All in all, I'm pretty stoked about this beast, and I can't wait to rack some miles up on it!

Anyway, here's a pic!

Gravity Bullseye Monster-gravity1.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Looks great! The bulldozers are a decent trailtire in my opinion, have not had the chance to test on good snow yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Mine also arrived yesterday. This is the GBM Five 22" in burnt orange. Everything is stock as I am a new biker and don't have spare parts or accessories to bring to the build. I am planning on just upgrading components as they wear out or break.

I did have to adjust the shifting a bit (only the H and L screws). I just followed the Park Tool instructional videos on both front and rear derailleur. Fairly straight forward for someone new to maintenance.

Only tested on a short ride up and down the road to adjust the seat height and handle bar angle. Love the feel on the short ride. Will post more as I get more experience riding.

I am open to any suggestions setup, maintenance, or otherwise being a new biker.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-20181020_163124_001.jpg

mtbr member
    Are those arisun tires? Definitely not VEE tires that came with my 2015 white pearl. I kind of like the look without the branding on it. Congratulations on the new bike 🎉🎊🎈.The pedals will be your first upgrade for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The BD site says:
    "26"x4.9 BIG DADDY 30TPI WB BLACK TIRE A/V"
    but the tires say Chaoyang. I have no reference on how good they are, so I will ride them until they wear out.

I do like the subtle branding on them.

EDIT: They are the Big Daddy based on the same tread I'm seeing on the Chaoyang site.

Gravity Bullseye Monster-20181021_220435.jpg
    Gravity Bullseye Monster-20181021_220448.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow, Iím impressed you can fit a 4.9Ē in that 170mm rear dropout. Those tires look huge. I wish I covered my chain stay when I got mine, now it is too late.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The GBM5 actually has "190mm symmetrical rear" according to the BD website. I think that is the only change they made to the frame. It looks like the same 80mm rim from the GBM.

I can take some pictures of the clearance when I get home tonight if you want to see them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah, I took out the rear wheel to wrap the stay. One thing that was a pain was I did not find a cage lock feature on the SRAM X4 rear derailleur. I actually zip tied it to the stay to give the chain some slack to make it easier to wrap the stay. Since this is my first bike in about 30 years I am guessing it was just a ME thing.

I searched around on the net, but did not find any information on a cage lock feature on the SRAM X4. The SRAM site mentioned it is a feature, but it didn't look like the X4 was on the list.

Anyone know if that is a thing on the X4, and if not, how do you deal with removing and remounting the rear wheel on the GBM to make it as easy as possible?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Burizado View Post

Anyone know if that is a thing on the X4, and if not, how do you deal with removing and remounting the rear wheel on the GBM to make it as easy as possible?
    Yeah, I don't believe the "cage lock" feature was available on Sram's lower end models.

As far as easy wheel removal...it gets easier the more you do it LOL!

For me, I just make sure the chain is on the smallest gear, then hold the derailleur forward, release the QR, and drop the wheel out....I'm sure there are far more qualified people who'll chime in and give you better advice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the info BB. Yeah, being my first time dropping the rear wheel out it was a bit awkward but I'm sure I'll get plenty of practice.

The toughest part was trying to align the brake rotor into the housing between the pads while pulling the wheel up into position on the maintenance stand to lock the QR.

The pros make it look so easy in the videos online, but they have probably done it a couple thousand times or more.
    Last edited by Burizado; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Wow, 190mm dropout? Thatís good improvement over the old GBM. Iím always limited to 4Ē tires on the rear so it is nice to have more tire options on the GBM5.
    And yes, the easiest way to remove the wheel is by putting the bike up side down and shift to the smallest cog, then pull the quick release and push the derailleur cage to the front and boom pull the wheel out.
    The Sram x4 derailleur has very little chain tension so if you want to upgrade I will go with 1x10 set up.
    There are 12$ narrow wide chain rings on eBay and Amazon to avoid chain drop when jumping or bunny hopping.

The 10 Speed drivetrain is cheap compared to 11 or 12 speed set ups. eBay has a few listings with used 10 speed derailleurs and shifters. You can mix match shimano shifters and derailleurs, for example a 10 speed shimano SLX derailleur will work with 10 speed shimano Deore shifter or 10 speed Deore derailleur will work with SLX shifter. If you ever want to install a cassette with huge range like 11-42t or 11-46t you will need a 11 speed derailleur which can be used with 10 speed shifters and cassettes by adjusting the limit screw on the derailleur. The 10 speed derailleurs donít like cassettes with 11-40t or higher range, the maximum capacity it can take is up to 11-36t cassettes.
    Last edited by Luis_fx35; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis_fx35 View Post
    The 10 speed derailleurs donít like cassettes with 11-40t or higher range, the maximum capacity it can take is up to 11-36t cassettes.
    This is not quite accurate. I have a GBEMComp that is a 2X8 with an SRAM X4. I recently installed a Sunrace CSM680 (11-40T). You do need to install a derailer hanger extended (provided with cassette purchase) and replace your chain with a fresh full length SRAM PC870. My son and I have both rode his bike several times with the new setup and shifting is smooth without any issues. Just a heads up.

mtbr member
    I tried the derailleur hanger extender before. It works but when you bent the derailleur hanger at the trail and try to align it with the derailleur hanger alignment tool the extender brakes or wonít bent at all. And the reason I advise to get a 11 speed derailleur is because it can work with 10 speed cassettes and shifters with 11-46t and even a 11-50t. That being said, if you ever want to go 11 speed, you already have the derailleur.

Tmbg19
    Oct 2018
    I just got a Renegade from BD. I cannot for the life of me find any info on setting sag. How do you put air in this thing? I weigh 200 pounds. What do I pump it up to? Thanks, Andy

Tmbg19
    Oct 2018
    I have 3 Renegades, the thru axle is just better than quick release, but you have to purchase a thru axle hub if you go with the Renegade. The rebound adjuster gets a minimal oil leak with time just enough for dirt to stick to it and make it look dirty. I havenít had any problems in the cold and I learned to service them.
    I just got a Renegade from BD. I cannot for the life of me find any info on setting sag. How do you put air in this thing? I weigh 200 pounds. What do I pump it up to? Thanks, Andy

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbg19 View Post
    On every air fork I've ever owned, the air nipple is on the left side top of the fork, usually under some type of thread off plastic cap.

As far as sag goes, you may have some luck finding info on RST's webpage, or go by trial/error, maybe start with 80-90psi, and see what kind of sag you end up with (or start with even lower pressure)...just make sure you have at least a "decent" shock pump.

Tmbg19
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BassistBiker View Post
    On every air fork I've ever owned, the air nipple is on the left side top of the fork, usually under some type of thread off plastic cap.

As far as sag goes, you may have some luck finding info on RST's webpage, or go by trial/error, maybe start with 80-90psi, and see what kind of sag you end up with (or start with even lower pressure)...just make sure you have at least a "decent" shock pump.
    Yeah, that is what is funny. The top left of this fork has the + - knob for the preload.Gravity Bullseye Monster-img-2435.jpgGravity Bullseye Monster-img-2436.jpg

Is it possible that the preload unscrews? Thanks for your help. Andy

mtbr member
    That doesnít look like the RST Renegade at all. Check photos on eBay, Amazon or even google it and you will see that is not the RST Renegade. That looks more like a coil fork instead of air fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    That doesnít look like the RST Renegade at all. Check photos on eBay, Amazon or even google it and you will see that is not the RST Renegade. That looks more like a coil fork instead of air fork.
    Yep, looks like a coil sprung fork..

Tmbg19
    Oct 2018
    That what I was thinking. I could not find a single image that looks like mine. Moreover, the RST website only shows one Renegade model and it looks different. I bought this bike because it was spec'd with this fork. When I decided on this bike, I liked the price and researched the RST website. It clearly states the Renegade is adjustable. If I know about this fork, I would have chosen something different. I have seen so many positive reviews from people who have bought bikes from this site. I hope that they will work with me to resolve this.

mtbr member
    That what I was thinking. I could not find a single image that looks like mine. Moreover, the RST website only shows one Renegade model and it looks different. I bought this bike because it was spec'd with this fork. When I decided on this bike, I liked the price and researched the RST website. It clearly states the Renegade is adjustable. If I know about this fork, I would have chosen something different. I have seen so many positive reviews from people who have bought bikes from this site. I hope that they will work with me to resolve this.

With the preload located on the spring side I'd almost definitely say it's a coil sprung fork and not a Renegade.....at least the Renegade fork that I'm familiar with (& I have 3 of them)

Did they actually say that they were selling you a Renegade? I can barely make out the logo on the arch but that 'looks' genuine. Is the fork actually branded as a Renegade? Is it possible that it's a counterfeit? That's pretty shady of BD. You should ask for a replacement....or least a really good explanation.

Also kind of weird that you got it from BD as they spec their bikes out with Blutos.

Post an image of the entire fork. I'm genuinely curious.

It's plausible too that RST did something weird like go to coil springs. They aren't beyond going cheap and don't exactly have a reputation for being top-notch.

The Renegade is actually a pretty awesome fork (despite all the hate RST tends to garner)

Definitely strange.

If you get that sorted out, I too would say go for 80-90 lbs. depending on how firm you like it. The valve is clearly marked with "AIR" on the valve cover located top left of the crown and the rebound adjust is at the bottom left of the lower. The right has the preload/ lockout..It's pretty simple fork with not a lot of features, but I've been pretty happy with mine.

Tmbg19
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Horse View Post
    With the preload located on the spring side I'd almost definitely say it's a coil sprung fork and not a Renegade.....at least the Renegade fork that I'm familiar with (& I have 3 of them)

Did they actually say that they were selling you a Renegade? I can barely make out the logo on the arch but that 'looks' genuine. Is the fork actually branded as a Renegade? Is it possible that it's a counterfeit? That's pretty shady of BD. You should ask for a replacement....or least a really good explanation.

Also kind of weird that you got it from BD as they spec their bikes out with Blutos.

Post an image of the entire fork. I'm genuinely curious.

It's plausible too that RST did something weird like go to coil springs. They aren't beyond going cheap and don't exactly have a reputation for being top-notch.

The Renegade is actually a pretty awesome fork (despite all the hate RST tends to garner)

Definitely strange.

If you get that sorted out, I too would say go for 80-90 lbs. depending on how firm you like it. The valve is clearly marked with "AIR" on the valve cover located top left of the crown and the rebound adjust is at the bottom left of the lower. The right has the preload/ lockout..It's pretty simple fork with not a lot of features, but I've been pretty happy with mine.
    I spoke with Bikes Direct and they said that the fork was "TNL" version of the Renegade. There is no mention of a TNL Renegade anywhere on the RST website, let alone the entire internet. BD said they would send me a prepaid shipping label so I could ship it back (not sure if they would charge a restocking fee...). I paid extra money to buy this bike because I heavily researched the Renegade fork (air spring). Apart from the mystery fork, I really like the bike and really don't want to disassemble the bike and ship it back. Still, I feel like I was misled. BD should not sell products that cannot be researched or don't even seem to exist outside their webpage. Don't know what to do!

mtbr member
    I have purchased a lot of bikes off of BD. They are not flawless, but they always have delivered what's in the description. On the rare occasions I've had an issue, they fixed it when I contacted them. I'd be shocked if they were selling counterfeit parts, maybe RST has added a low end coil Fork to their range (which if it is on a GBM, entry level fat bike with a straight untapered head tube, 2x8), that would make sense.

mtbr member
    I spoke with Bikes Direct and they said that the fork was "TNL" version of the Renegade. There is no mention of a TNL Renegade anywhere on the RST website, let alone the entire internet. BD said they would send me a prepaid shipping label so I could ship it back (not sure if they would charge a restocking fee...). I paid extra money to buy this bike because I heavily researched the Renegade fork (air spring). Apart from the mystery fork, I really like the bike and really don't want to disassemble the bike and ship it back. Still, I feel like I was misled. BD should not sell products that cannot be researched or don't even seem to exist outside their webpage. Don't know what to do!

I agree, you were sold one thing and given something completely different and it shouldn't be on you to correct it.

That's the chance you take buying direct I guess....especially BD. I purchased a wheelset from them before and they took my money immediately and it was a couple of months before they got around to sending my items. I'm satisfied with the purchase, but it seems like a weird way to deal with the customer.

I'd be interested in a coil sprung fat bike fork, it be a great way to get consistent performance in extreme cold weather, but am not sure that I'd want to be one of the first early adopters. I doubt RST is putting a lot into making it an improvement, so gotta wonder if they are cutting corners by switching to coil.

If it's any consolation, you will should be happy with the the air sprung model.

mtbr member
    The TNL and/or coil spring isn't listed on the RST catalog for 2018. Not sure what that means but hopefully they make it right. I'll be interested to get the update. https://rstsuspension.com/images/Cat...-Catalogue.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Horse View Post
    I'd be interested in a coil sprung fat bike fork, it be a great way to get consistent performance in extreme cold weather, but am not sure that I'd want to be one of the first early adopters.....
    I've thought about this too, but being a heavier guy @ 270 lbs...I've asked a LOT of every coil fork I've had, air forks seem to handle the load better LOL....but, if I could find a coil fat fork that would take some abuse, I'd be all over it.

mtbr member
    I'm interested in a good coil Fork too. I emailed RST to see if that is available but not listed, we will see if they get back to me.

How much does that Fork weigh? There are limited options in a straight steer tube, QR.

Tmbg19
    Oct 2018
    Although I am disappointed about the fork, BD was in constant contact with me and worked something out. I can't wait to get on the bike this weekend and see what the bike and fork can do. For those intersted in the coil fork, I'll do my best to give it a bit of a review in the future. Thank you for all of the responses. Andy

mtbr member
    Hi, would you take a front picture of the bike with the coil Renegade? The curiosity is killing me. I have three Air Renegades and I want to know how this looks like.

Quick release? Thru-axle?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking to go 2x or 1x10, what bcd chainring can I use and where are people ordering them from?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    Looking to go 2x or 1x10, what bcd chainring can I use and where are people ordering them from?
    If memory serves, your chain ring BCD is 104 (I'm in the middle of swapping mine to a SRAM NX Eagle, with new cranks, BB & chain ring), I've put a link below on how to measure...plus, there is a printable pattern there too, just print it out, and lay your chain ring on top and match up the holes. Boom! Instant BCD info! Easy!

www.wolftoothcomponents.com/pages/how-to-measure-bolt-circle-diameter-bcd

As far as where to order, once you have your BCD, there are tons of online stores...I use JensonUSA a lot, and I've also had outstanding service from WorldWideCyclery.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425