Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gravity Bullseye Monster

511K views 3K replies 263 participants last post by  iliketexmex 
#1 ·
Finally got my bullseye monster, and I wanted to post my thoughts about it, but there dont seem to be any threads about the specific models that bikes direct offers.

The bike went together pretty smoothly and was lighter than I expected it to be. I will publish the weight when I get around to putting it on a scale, but it was abouth the same weight as (maybe even a little less than) last year's pug. I will ballpark it around 35lbs.

The stem and possibly the handle bars will be replaced soon. Its way too long right now and wider bars are always a plus.

The bike had a minor scratch on the down tube from where the front rim was attached for shipping. It doesn't really bother me, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Here's the bike next to last year's pug (14" frame). The head angle looks much steeper on the Gravity. Not sure what the actual number is for the Bullseye, but for reference I know the pug is a 70.0 degree HTA.

The mission on a 50mm rim next to a nate on a 65mm Marge lite. Both supposedly 4.0, although the nate seems significantly wider in addition to being much more aggressive.

First impression is that its a good start. It doesn't ride nearly as well as the pug does, but in addition to costing less than a third what the pug did, I haven't spent much time dialing it in yet. There are a lot of things im going to do to it, first I need to cut the seat post down, because even inserted as far as it will go, its still at least a full inch higher than I want it. Next will be trying to get some power out of the brakes. Even after bedding them in, they are unbearably weak. I have ridden other bikes with the novelas and know that they can be much more powerful. When set up correctly they can feel as good as a bb7. I will try hitting the rotors with brake cleaner, if that doesn't work I will sand the pads down a bit. Also the rear rim is out of true and the front one has a pretty noticeable hop. it's nothing i cant fix but kinda annoying that i have to work on the wheels of a brand new bike.
I was torn between this and the Boris x9, but didn't have the means to get the more expensive bike. I will report back after putting some more miles on the bike, but so far I am a little underwhelmed. I just remind myself that it was only $500 and remember that I have nothing to complain about. I think it is the best way that money could be spent, because it gets you a good, ridable platform to begin with and will allow me to upgrade parts as I need to.

See less See more
#347 ·
Moab

:) DIRTDAWG: i have to post here because for some reasonj I can't send you a message:mad: Of course I was serious.:thumbsup: We could put you up for as long as you'd like.
:madman: On another note, I have shingles. been off the bike for a week. Once the itching stops and the rash goes away I will be back at it strong. I just can't wait.
Moving to Moab will be great for Sue and I. when we lived up in Price we didn't get sniffles and colds as much because of the dry air and clean air. Right now although they say it's a minor symptom of the shingles, my nose runs like a faucet. I have to take Benadryl anbd I get so sleepy. But once I move I won't be taking it.
Georgia drifter: I had some problems with my stock casette but BD replaced it for free. It skipped in the mid range, and replacment took care of it.
Well everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Pedalin' New Year.

Until later---------PEACE
Oldbear (aka Fred)

#348 ·
Thanks OldBear! I look forward to it :)
I'm sorry to hear that you have shingles, I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you are back on the bike soon.

In other news, the green fairy strikes again, this time with some sweet flat pedals
View attachment 949006

They go pretty nicely with the paint on the bike.
Green Bicycle Bicycle tire Terrestrial plant Synthetic rubber

Can't wait to go scatch them up, my Nice things never seem to stay that way.

#351 ·
Ermahgerd grrrn!

Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

Still a work in progress, but I'm pretty stoaked about the footprint that the 80mm rims provide. Yet to come: green cable housings, different grips, and a brand new drivetrain.

Attachments

#353 ·
After reading all these posts on the Bullseye and doing a ton of research I am so stoked to get my 2015 Gravity Bullseye Monster. Should be here on Friday. You all were extremely helpful to a newbie rider as far as all the tech talk. I am 5'8" 155 so I went with a 16, I think it was the right call after testing a 17. Have a ton of trails in CT that my golden retriever and I cannot wait to hit.

#354 ·
Merry Christmas everyone. I too am thankful for all the guidance....especially this thread. Larry from BD sent me an email with tracking number...replacement cassette is on the way. Add another vote for a happy Bikes Direct customer.

I had a great ride this past Saturday. No snow up high but fun nonetheless!

#355 ·
Loving it more and more

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Spoke

Took another ride on the Monster today. The only problem I am having is that 6th gear skips and slips (I have ordered a Shimano cassette). Everything else is perfect. The brakes are setting in, the seat is comfortable...

I took it on the really soft sand at Jones Beach the other day, with 11-12psi, and it did okay unless I turned (I had the pressures up for paved trails and the boardwalk).

So far, this $500 bike was a steal. Thanks again for all the info that helped me decide to get this bike. Merry Christmas, all.

#360 ·
The Monster continues to prove itself to be a great all-around bike.

There was some slippage in first gear on hard climbs today, but the new Shimano cassette is already on the way. Hopefully, that will cure the only complaint I have about the bike.

I just wish we'd get some snow...

Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Tower Bicycle wheel

#376 ·
There was some slippage in first gear on hard climbs today, but the new Shimano cassette is already on the way. Hopefully, that will cure the only complaint I have about the bike.
View attachment 950842
Depending on how many miles you have on the chain, I would replace that too. Mine was junk after like 500 miles. No sense running a new cassette with an old chain, the skipping will only get worse.

#361 ·
Got mine for Christmas! Fork was a little bent out of the box,not bad. Straightened it in the vice. Came with the back wheel installed wrong, had to readjust the bearings. Did a full tune up x4 actually shifts on par with the slx on my full squish. Hit all gears out of the box but the limit screws were not adjusted at all (open on both sides). Switched the pedals to wellgo flats. And an old shorter post and saddle that I like. Have some bb7s on my old hard tail, thinking about trading but will see when these bed in. I ordered hussefelt stem and bars the ones that came on it are terrible! I'm wider than the bars on it now. So far it rides great! Really all the changes are typical fit things that I expected. Running tires at 9 front and back seems perfect. I'll post some pictured when the bars and green raceface grips come in!

#364 ·
Wider rim= larger footbprint with the same size tire. Smaller Rim= more choices of tires (you can even run some DH tires on the 50mm rim). This is great in the summer!

You can run big tires on the smaller rim, it just may not have as much control as if it were on the larger ones. (relying more on the rubber for lateral forces).

Honestly, unless you are riding in deep powder and VERY picky the stock rims and tires on this bike are fine. I would say this setup would work for 99% of people if they didnt spend their days on here reading how much better things could be for another few hundred dollars. (the fun to money ratio just doesnt make sense).

I rode mine on the VASA in northern MI last week in the snow with stock wheels and tires at 9PSI and it was a blast. The Missions were fine and I didnt feel like I was lagging behind the group because of equipment (I was lagging behind the group because those jerks are fast.)

#368 ·
As I come up on the 6 month mark since receiving my bike, I have 1500 miles on it and still love it. I went and took it on a beach for the first time on Saturday. 10 miles of sugar sand did in the old cassette, but it was far overdue anyway.
Wheel Tire Bicycle Natural environment Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

Natural environment Sand Landscape Horizon Travel

Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim Helmet

Snowy owl Nature Branch Blue Daytime

It was a lot of fun, and I'm sure that I will log more beach miles in the future.

We road in the woods that day too.
Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Mountain bike Vehicle Land vehicle

#369 ·
I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam. I currently have a Trek 3 series bike with 19.5" frame that fits me real well. So would I go 18" or 20" frame with the Gravity Bike?

DirtDawg...What 80mm rims did you install on your bike?

With the possibility of riding this bike more in snow than anything else I was looking at the 45NRTH Vanhelga tires, but they only fit on 65-102mm rims. Unless someone knows of similar tire that would fit on the 50mm rims that come with the Gravity.

#371 ·
the rims are DHL80's, they come stock on most of the BD bikes.
And i wouldnt worry about the 45NRTH tires not fitting on the 50mm rims, it will be fine. i like the way the Vanhelgas look, nice and aggressive. should handle real well in the snow but ive never ridden them. However i do have experience with the Nates and can assure you that they do real well in the snow.
People forget that at the end of the day, it comes down to rider ability more than anything else. obviously a good set of tires helps, but they will not magically make the bike unstoppable.

*EDIT* i would go for the medium 18". youre only slightly bigger than me and i cant imagine comfortably riding anything bigger than the 18.

#375 ·
:thumbsup: I haven't written for awhile, but, here goes. I run Husker Du's on my 50mm rims with no problem. As far as size goes, I am 6' 11" and ride an 18".
Dirtdawg: Love the picks pf the greenj machine! And the beach ones too.

Georgia drifter: Keep on Riding and posting!

As far as comparing fat bikes, my monster rides just as good as a Trek Farley. It is the only one I have test ridden so far. I am hoping to test ride a few others in Sedona at the Mountain Bike Fest.

Until tomorrow-------------PEACE
Oldbear (aka Fred)

#378 ·
Just finished putting mine together.
Wheelset came in from BD in TWO delivery days!
Had to call and have them "hold for pickup", as we were still in MI for the holidays.

I was GIVEN this frame!!! (will send Mike a carbon seat/storage for his training bike)

Tried to take pics of the upgrades, (parts bin) and purchased stuff. Camera phone battery is turning off the phone when I take shots. (new phone time)

Replaced;
stem....Nashbar 90mm 106g's
bars.....Easton EC70's 45 bucks at Bluesky (bought 4 sets for stock at that price!)
levers...TRP carbon
seat......Sella Italia SLR
post....old USE Alien carbon from a road bike frame in the shed (barely long enough)
grips Spec. clamp-on (added 1 g each over stock but I cut them off)

180mm front rotor (TRP)
TRP 160 rear
135/170 wheelset from BD with "free" rubber (120tpi folding)
Almost pulled a new set of Spykes out but will try the cheapo brakes/shifters.

The weight reduced from the parts swap was 1lb 9oz.

I would not have tried a fat bike if my good friend hadn't bought the 2 bikes.
This will make a great winter/snow bike and my wife wants to take it to the dunes in SW CO, (in the spring).

Now if a customer wants a fat bike. I can recommend they go for it!

Only went for a short ride tonight. Threw on gloves/hat and just tried it.
The brakes do feel really weak? The snow is deep and hardpack mix.

Will try to break them in before using any new parts.

Also bought 26x3.5 tubes for spares,
digital gauge,
Blackburn HV pump,
cage.

Will work on carbon tool boxes and fenders.

WHAT A BLAST!
JM

#380 ·
Hey! New member here.

SO I just got one of these from Bike Island w/o a fork/crown race for a good deal. I emailed BD to ask about the stock fork measurements and they don't know (?!?!). Could anybody measure at least their axle-to-crown with the stock fork? I'd be forever grateful! I'm thinking of a Moonlander/Pugsley fork but I just want to be sure it'll work right. Then again, it's not like there are a lot of options for budget aftermarket forks...

#386 ·
Oops that last photo is before...

I think it's funny that the stock bars and stem come with a sticker on them that say not for downhill or rough off-road use... The hussefelts sure are! Still waiting on my green raceface grips to come in... I'll be done for a while.

Another note.... The crank arms looks like they come from the same casting as my older raceface ride cranks (2007) from my hard tail... They are identical except the bottom bracket type. raceface does outsource their lower line stuff...

#394 ·
I'm very interested in buying a Bullseye but am worried about tire width. I will be riding in snow 99% of the time and think the first thing I would upgrade on the bike would be to bigger/wider tires. How wide of tires can the Bullseye handle? The bike comes with Vee 4.0 tires and a Bluto for and am thinking of buying Bud/Lou tires. Would those tires fit?