Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gravity Bullseye Monster

511K views 3K replies 263 participants last post by  iliketexmex 
#1 ·
Finally got my bullseye monster, and I wanted to post my thoughts about it, but there dont seem to be any threads about the specific models that bikes direct offers.

The bike went together pretty smoothly and was lighter than I expected it to be. I will publish the weight when I get around to putting it on a scale, but it was abouth the same weight as (maybe even a little less than) last year's pug. I will ballpark it around 35lbs.

The stem and possibly the handle bars will be replaced soon. Its way too long right now and wider bars are always a plus.

The bike had a minor scratch on the down tube from where the front rim was attached for shipping. It doesn't really bother me, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Here's the bike next to last year's pug (14" frame). The head angle looks much steeper on the Gravity. Not sure what the actual number is for the Bullseye, but for reference I know the pug is a 70.0 degree HTA.

The mission on a 50mm rim next to a nate on a 65mm Marge lite. Both supposedly 4.0, although the nate seems significantly wider in addition to being much more aggressive.

First impression is that its a good start. It doesn't ride nearly as well as the pug does, but in addition to costing less than a third what the pug did, I haven't spent much time dialing it in yet. There are a lot of things im going to do to it, first I need to cut the seat post down, because even inserted as far as it will go, its still at least a full inch higher than I want it. Next will be trying to get some power out of the brakes. Even after bedding them in, they are unbearably weak. I have ridden other bikes with the novelas and know that they can be much more powerful. When set up correctly they can feel as good as a bb7. I will try hitting the rotors with brake cleaner, if that doesn't work I will sand the pads down a bit. Also the rear rim is out of true and the front one has a pretty noticeable hop. it's nothing i cant fix but kinda annoying that i have to work on the wheels of a brand new bike.
I was torn between this and the Boris x9, but didn't have the means to get the more expensive bike. I will report back after putting some more miles on the bike, but so far I am a little underwhelmed. I just remind myself that it was only $500 and remember that I have nothing to complain about. I think it is the best way that money could be spent, because it gets you a good, ridable platform to begin with and will allow me to upgrade parts as I need to.

See less See more
#394 ·
I'm very interested in buying a Bullseye but am worried about tire width. I will be riding in snow 99% of the time and think the first thing I would upgrade on the bike would be to bigger/wider tires. How wide of tires can the Bullseye handle? The bike comes with Vee 4.0 tires and a Bluto for and am thinking of buying Bud/Lou tires. Would those tires fit?

#403 ·
Overhauled my drive train last night. The stock one was getting pretty bad.

Broke another cog on the stock cassette while riding on the beach, time to put the new (warranty) one on.
new chainrings
new chain and cassette
Still need some Rotors, but wheelset number 2 is ready for snow.
out with the old

#404 ·
On some of my high-end wheels, I run a carbon spoke protector.

It prevents the chain from jumping off and ruining my spokes, and my day.

Wrecked the rear wheel (including the hub) on the first gen. Mavic Cross-Max's.
When they had regular spokes. (long walk with the rear wheel stuck/tangled)

That's how you do it.
Actually WEAR OUT the stuff before just up-grading and re-placing!

JM

#411 ·
Total newbie here who just got his bike yesterday !!!! Had a local shop finish the build ( I know, I know....it is my goal to become bike handy) anyway....on my first 500 yards pedaling I changed gears and the chain/derailer is now making a terrible sound as the chain is rubbing the derailer frame....wish I could send a vid.....hoping for advice on a quick fix so I can go for a NYE ride....the shop is closed until Monday. Thanks all

#414 ·
Most likely not rubbing on the cage as that would mean that it is bent or chain routed wrong, the shop would have (should have)caught that. More likely rubbing on the next ring on the cassette. Should be as easy as adjusting the tension knob on the shifter. Just need your thumbs! if its on either limit you might need to adjust the limit screws with a phillips screwdriver. Youtube is FULL of helpful videos for adjusting this specific derailleur.

If it is rubbing on the cage you may need to bend it out, another thing to check is that the x4 has a tab on the frony of the cage that keeps the chain in. I've seen people mistakenly run the chain outside that tab without noticing.

#418 ·
The Shimano HG31 cassette eliminated my slipping/skipping issues. I rode in some sand yesterday, and had some decent climbs today that tested it well. The trail we rode today was hillier than many other Long Island trails, with some sand, exposed roots, and some loose rocks adding to the fun. The Monster handles it all surprisingly well (I did notice the lack of front suspension in one or two spots, so my next fat bike will have a Bluto). The down side was when we got on the road to go to another trail. That's when the bike feels like I'm pedaling an 18-wheeler.

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#420 ·
New drive train is holding up well, except that I got some of the worst chain suck ever one of the first times I upshifted in the front.
I think it was due to the fact that I'm using mismatched sprockets. I'm hoping it's just a one time thing, but I've still been careful when shifting.

I also met my first Farley today.
beautiful bikes, really.

#421 ·
Double-stick or bolt something to that E-type FD.

Like the X-guys using the "Third-eye" chain keeper.
There are a few models that will completely eliminate "chain-suck", (if installed correctly)

We were taking off the granny gears in the mid 90's. MI doesn't have that big of hills.

Now 1x10 or 2x10 is "all the rage"???
I will leave the drivetrain "as-is" unless it gives me trouble.
The front might need a little adj. but the rear der. was adjusted fine and shifts very well.

JM

#423 ·
Thanks to JackNicholls6 - your recommendation was all it was. Very happy it wasn't anything I had to go to the shop for. My goal is too teach myself to be 'bike handy'. Had a great ride yesterday on both pavement and trail, GBM is a blast, we are getting 2-4 inches tomorrow so I am excited to try this on a little snow.

#428 ·
Drove down to ND yesterday (blizzard all the way from Winnipeg to ND) assembled the bike when I got home and tried it out in the fresh powder. No surprise the missions aren't great in the soft stuff. Been looking at snow tires, but other than the surly nates all other tires (45nrth, vee snowshoes) require a minimum rim width of 62-80mm. There was some posts on here of trying different rim widths and tires.
So my question is, does anyone know if a 4" 45nrth dillinger or vee snowshoe 4.5" would work on the bullseye monster?

#434 ·
So my question is, does anyone know if a 4" 45nrth dillinger or vee snowshoe 4.5" would work on the bullseye monster?
they will both work fine. ive put some serious miles on some of the older 4.5" snowshoes (in reality, closer to a 4.0) and they are awesome. as long as the tire is narrow enough to fit in between the stays youre good to go. the rim width changes the profile a bit (tire sits narrower and taller) but everything still handles fine. i would (and do) ignore the manufacturer's rim recommendations.

#429 ·
The frame I got, (Gravity Bullseye Monster???)
Came with the 650B+ tires.
I ordered the 26x4 w/"free" Missions for $200.00, 135/170 spacing and free shipping.
Could not find weights on more expensive wheelsets.
The tires don't seem great in the snow but I've only ridden 3 times.

There is 1/2" (clear) on both side of the rear stays. Less in the front fork.
Not sure on all the wheel width/tire width combos or how they affect OA widths?

I am sure I could order some 4.5's if that is the total width on 26x80mm rims.
Would double check front fork?

JM