Good tires for pavement wear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Good tires for pavement wear

I currently have schwalbe jumbo jims 4.8. I use this bike for ALL my riding. So around 95% of the riding is pavement riding and it trashes the tread on my tire. I suspect this is because of the soft compound on the tire.
    What tires are good with lower tread wear?
    (also, is Maxxis minion FBF+FBR not going to wear out as fast?)
    I am not interested in road specific fat tires, because I also do some light trail riding, and I find them ugly
    Thanks!
    BTW: I am looking for 4.8 inch tires or nearby in width
    Last edited by Donald Pikachu; 03-27-2019 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    What tires would be good?

This place needs an enema
    So 95% of your riding is on pavement?

And you're wearing out tires that are known to be soft and grippy on dirt? Not to mention kind of expensive?

Perhaps you should consider some, um, pavement tires? Or at least something that isn't expressly designed for off-road and even off-piste use?

Just an idea.

Fat tires are great at many things. 95% pavement use would not be one of them.

Shocker, I know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Surly Larry and Endomorph. Want a pair? I have some that "might" have been used, but sure don't look like it.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Knards roll well on pavement

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    Surly Larry and Endomorph. Want a pair? I have some that "might" have been used, but sure don't look like it.
    endomorphs don't do anything well on trail....ime

so yes, endomorphs, kill them on pavement...95% pavement you bet I'd use endomorphs
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    So 95% of your riding is on pavement?

And you're wearing out tires that are known to be soft and grippy on dirt? Not to mention kind of expensive?

Perhaps you should consider some, um, pavement tires? Or at least something that isn't expressly designed for off-road and even off-piste use?

Just an idea.

Fat tires are great at many things. 95% pavement use would not be one of them.

Shocker, I know.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mikesee again.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Last edited by bcriverjunky; 03-28-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

Rocking on a Rocky
    Bulldozers.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    endomorphs don't do anything well on trail....ime
    I have not, nor will I, ride these tires on the trail. That just seems ridiculous, like the time I rode my DeRosa road bike on the double loop of Betasso Preserve.
    But the question being asked is akin to asking what the "best summer tire for my car is, but I still want amazing traction in snow/icy".
    Get the right tire for the application, OP. If 95% pavement is accurate, accept par or sub-par trail performance. Won't matter that much for the minimal amount of dirt time you see anyway.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    "I am not interested in road specific fat tires,... I find them ugly"

Yep, that's enough mtbr for me for today

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    mikesee! I can see the monster has arrived again! Instead of offering friendly+helpful tire advice you insult my question! On top of that you didn't even offer me a tire choice!
    You are so unhelpful-you should go troll somewhere else!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Pikachu View Post
    mikesee! I can see the monster has arrived again! Instead of offering friendly+helpful tire advice you insult my question! On top of that you didn't even offer me a tire choice!
    mikesee pointed out what is wrong with what you're trying to find, and you still don't get it.

If you need a dog, get a dog. Don't try and find a cat that will behave like a dog 95% of the time.
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I did offer some advice and a helpful tire recommendation. Thanks for the "rep"....

Kinda Juggernauts roll fast are lightweight and will be ok on the trail.
    Specialized Ground Controls and Fast Trak, both come in a FAT flavor, and roll surprisingly well too.

Check out the CST Roly Poly thread too, those seem well liked and they are cheap.

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Be civil guys!
    Check out this tire. If it rings a bell get it here, or wherever you fancy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'd stick with the Jumbo Jims. They roll very fast on pavement and still work in the dirt. Just replace 'em more often. I've never tried Husker Dus but they appear to be cut from the same cloth...perhaps they wear a little better?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    mikesee pointed out what is wrong with what you're trying to find, and you still don't get it.

If you need a dog, get a dog. Don't try and find a cat that will behave like a dog 95% of the time.

Ding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Donald,
    i just bought a fat bike and I had the same question. Thanks for asking it.
    I bought a Min Frame bike that came with wolftrax tires. they track terrible on pavement and not much better in the dirt.
    i tried to set the up tubeless without any luck. Maybe the Roly Poly's I just bought will work out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I outfitted my Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon with a set of Dura Fleetwood 26x4.00 tires when I bought it in April 2018. I run them inflated to 25 psi, and ride almost exclusively on the street. These tires have proven to be amazing! They roll beautifully, handle great, stop great, and are even reasonably good at the light dirt/mud/off-pavement excursions I've taken the FCC through.

They are also proving to be very durable. In the past year of countless street rides on this bike, I've accumulated just shy of 2900 miles. The front tire is still going strong; the rear was getting just a little thin a month or so ago when a bit of road debris kicked up by the front tire put a three inch long slice through the rear tire and tube necessitating their early replacement.

Can't say enough good about them: they work very very well for my needs. They prove a little hard to find in the USA, but are well worth the effort to find and install. A photo of my bike with them fitted:

enjoy!
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    According my opinion - Jumbo Jims are the best choice for the hard surfaces, including pavement... moreover - they are quite durable. I have a couple of friends, that ride JJ all-year-round, and their total mileage is above 15 000 km for one of them, and 12 000 km for another... and their JJs still look good and seem to be nicely ridden for at least a couple of years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    And for myself - I had completely trimmed-off the lugs from JJs... and now enjoy a super-fast and easy rolling, and also their quiteness and low vibrations.
    Besides the weight below 1 kilo for a full-size 4,8" tire.

All fat, all the time.
    Put on an old set of Larry's.
    Whatever you have on there will work for the 5% of time you aren't on pavement.

Might try the road bike forum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Sukhov View Post
    And for myself - I had completely trimmed-off the lugs from JJs... and now enjoy a super-fast and easy rolling, and also their quiteness and low vibrations.

Do you still use that as your main tire? How long have you had it and how much do you ride? Do you ride mostly pavement? (Don't mean to ask too many questions)

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by law69 View Post
    Donald,
    i just bought a fat bike and I had the same question. Thanks for asking it.
    I bought a Min Frame bike that came with wolftrax tires. they track terrible on pavement and not much better in the dirt.
    i tried to set the up tubeless without any luck. Maybe the Roly Poly's I just bought will work out.
    Are the wolftrax tires tubeless ready? My rims were not tubeless ready but they still converted.. barely. The jumbo jim was tubeless ready on the other hand.
    BTW: I have never seen a cheaper 4.8 inch tire (cost wise) the only other tires around that cost range is mongoose tires, and they don't sell tires above the size of 4.00''
    Last edited by Donald Pikachu; 03-28-2019 at 10:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Do you still use that as your main tire? How long have you had it and how much do you ride? Do you ride mostly pavement? (Don't mean to ask too many questions)
    Yes, my wife is using it now as a main tire (for Spring-Summer-Autumn season) - and she loves it extremely!
    She ride not really much - for the moment the total mileage of these trimmed tires is somewhere in between 500 and 1000 km, I think... however - no significant wear seen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Did you completely wear out the tire? Or did you physically remove the lugs?

mtbr member
    Did you completely wear out the tire? Or did you physically remove the lugs?
    He said he trimmed off the lugs. It seems you like the concept. It also seems you are concerned about wear. That being the case, ride your tires till they wear down to be as if they are trimmed.

A worn tire with some transition & side lugs will work better on a trail than a fully trimmed/shaved tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    BlueCheesehead-
    I think the concept of wearing out the tire and keeping it for summer riding would be great (while buying another set of winter tires). But doing this is also dangerous because if I do not know when the tire is fully worn(to the tube or tubeless air resouvoiur) the whole tire could go kabloom. And to take tires of rims and reseating would require new sealant each time and an air compressor, and buying a new set of rims would also be very expensive (to have 2 sets of tires and rims).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Sukhov View Post

I would be interested in just how you accomplished the removal. Spin the tire while using a rotozip tool?

mtbr member
    BlueCheesehead-
    I think the concept of wearing out the tire and keeping it for summer riding would be great (while buying another set of winter tires). But doing this is also dangerous because if I do not know when the tire is fully worn(to the tube or tubeless air resouvoiur) the whole tire could go kabloom. And to take tires of rims and reseating would require new sealant each time and an air compressor, and buying a new set of rims would also be very expensive (to have 2 sets of tires and rims).
    When running slick tires on my road bike the way to know a tire is worn out is either excessive flats or seeing exposed threads. Those tires are pumped to 90-110psi and have I have never had one go "kabloom".

I have found that I can salvage 75% or more of the sealant every time I change tires. One can carefully remove the tire with the pool of sealant in the bottom. Pour that sealant into a container and then reinstall it in the new tire.

There are no optimum 4 season tires. Jumbo Jims are not known as good snow tires as the tread is just too small. If I had to have one tire to run summer and winter, it would probably be a Vanhelga. They roll pretty well for an aggressive tire. Granted, no 5" option. My suggestion of Knards as a good road tire does not account for snow. They suck in snow.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    I outfitted my Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon with a set of Dura Fleetwood 26x4.00 tires

enjoy!
    G
    thank you Ramarren for the informative post! i just ordered a set of the Duro Fleetwoods to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    "I am not interested in road specific fat tires,... I find them ugly"

Yep, that's enough mtbr for me for today
    exactly why i held back my posts... i have had quite a few neg reps by the OP because I didn't agree with him... :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    i have had quite a few neg reps by the OP because I didn't agree with him... :P
    Hmmm, I don't give out rep much. For positive rep it needs to be particularly useful or outstanding post, or several by the poster. For negative rep one needs to be a real jack azz. I do not see rep as a thumbs up or down on a particular post, but more for the poster in general. YMMV

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Are the wolftrax tires tubeless ready? My rims were not tubeless ready but they still converted.. barely. The jumbo jim was tubeless ready on the other hand.
    BTW: I have never seen a cheaper 4.8 inch tire (cost wise) the only other tires around that cost range is mongoose tires, and they don't sell tires above the size of 4.00''
    i doubt the wolftrax tires are tubeless ready. they only have tire pressure and size markings on the sides. I can't find anything about them online. The Framed and The House sites don't even have details about the tires. I'll just ride them with tubes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    thank you Ramarren for the informative post! i just ordered a set of the Duro Fleetwoods to try out.

exactly why i held back my posts... i have had quite a few neg reps by the OP because I didn't agree with him... :P
    I never gave you negative rep, I only give negative rep to people who are unbelievably rude like mikesee

mtbr member
    I use Big Fat Larrys on pavement and they work well due to the center rib on the tread. I also picked them up for $43 each new since they were on sale. I used the Vee Missions in past years with good results but off-road they sucked for just about everything, and had horrible self steer below about 20 psi.

That being said, I like the Minions and used them in past years with great results, I just didnít want to wear out my dirt tires on the road. I put about 750 miles on them without showing a lot of wear, canít say the same for the JJís, which had about 1/4 tread left.

I do a fundraiser ride every year for MS and ride my fatty, usually 75 miles each day, training on the road with it exclusively for 1-2 months before the ride to get used to it over the road bike. Our youngest daughter has MS. I used to ride my fixed gear (PR is 112 miles over Maine hills) but the fatty is harder. I also found I never ride alone on the fatty since itís such a conversation piece and is a blast to ride since itís so out of place. I always average over 15 mph on the rides so itís not as slow as people would think and itís fun to hammer by them in a tuck on the downhills.

Good tires for pavement wear-c4209404-982a-469b-a113-1d9e1d0a7e1d.jpg
    Good tires for pavement wear-484d5c4d-b12c-4696-a701-03ebcd26882e.jpg
    Good tires for pavement wear-dea27c51-c324-4278-afbd-0eb20a366b4b.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Maxxis Mammoth Review - BIKEPACKING.com pretty handy three seasons tire and once aired up roll well on pavement due to near solid centre ridge.

All fat, all the time.
    I never gave you negative rep, I only give negative rep to people who are unbelievably rude like mikesee
    There's a difference between rude and honest.
    You are quick to pass out the red Chiclets.