Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Upgraded with a new wheelset, Novatec 150/197 thru axle hubs with Mulefut 80 rims.

Chris Laundrie at www.mtbtools.com made up a pair of thru axle to dropout adapters (15x150 & 12x197) that worked perfectly. Super quality, fast service, and reasonable price.

Now I can run these at low pressure without the beads falling off. The Origin8 Tsunami 4.8's easily set up tubeless with stretch wrap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-yukon-mulefut-wheelset.jpg  

GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-15x150-thru-axle-adapter.jpg  

GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-12x197-thru-axle-adapter.jpg  

Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Was wondering about your build.

See that you keep putting money into it, how much are you in for?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Was wondering about your build.

See that you keep putting money into it, how much are you in for?
    More than I wanted. But way less than a grand.

The wheelset was more than I paid for the bike!!

In hindsight, I still would have purchased the Yukon, but gone with this deal from Bikes Direct at the start:

FREE SHIP 48 STATES* FAT BIKE WHEELS PROMO SALE PAIR of FatBike SunRingle MuleFut Tubeless Compatible Thru-Axle Wheels + FREE Tires: Top Rated Maxxis Minion FBF / FBR Yes, sold and shipped in pairs. (Front+Rear Wheel)

I have yet to find a better deal on an aluminum frame setup that can take 5" tires with Mulefut rims / Novatec 150/197 hubs.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fithian View Post
    More than I wanted.
    That's what I figured

I have yet to find a better deal on an aluminum frame setup that can take 5" tires with Mulefut rims / Novatec 150/197 hubs.
    Paid a bit over a grand for mine, rigid with SRAM GX 1x11, 150/197 Ringle Mulefut with SRC hubs, Magura hydros, RF cranks, carbon post and bar.

Plenty of used bikes in the 1K range, takes time and patience but they're out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Paid a bit over a grand for mine, rigid with SRAM GX 1x11, 150/197 Ringle Mulefut with SRC hubs, Magura hydros, RF cranks, carbon post and bar.
    New?
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

Yes, the MSRP was 1600 for the rigid and 1900 with the Bluto, got the rigid for less after some negotiations and later on added a Bluto for the non winter months, love the bike.

mtbr member
    Yes, the MSRP was 1600 for the rigid and 1900 with the Bluto, got the rigid for less after some negotiations and later on added a Bluto for the non winter months, love the bike.
    DD: You have a Growler IIRC?

MTBtools makes some pretty good stuff for pretty cheap. I have a 15-9mm thru axle adapter when I want to use a wheel with a rigid fork instead of the sus fork.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Upgraded with a new wheelset, Novatec 150/197 thru axle hubs with Mulefut 80 rims.

Chris Laundrie at www.mtbtools.com made up a pair of thru axle to dropout adapters (15x150 & 12x197) that worked perfectly. Super quality, fast service, and reasonable price.

Now I can run these at low pressure without the beads falling off. The Origin8 Tsunami 4.8's easily set up tubeless with stretch wrap.
    Good workaround, there must be a real market when they have those axle converters on the shelf.

not sure I missed it, but now that you have a free-hub, do you consider installing a wider range cassette inc. going to 1x11 or so? Your original gearing is very high for snow or any off-road. Just wondering. I'm at a 26T:42T for my lowest gear right now and use that a lot in snow.

You may not have saved a lot of money compared to buying a better new bike, but you had a great adventure and learned a lot. That is worth something as well.

To everyone comparing the cost to used bikes... it is a bit pointless to compare any new bike to used bike prices. I always can find a used $10 bike and will then declare any new bike as too expensive.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    DD: You have a Growler IIRC?
    Growler MBS

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That is a badass beast, DD.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    That is a badass beast, DD.
    love it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The new wheelset is working out fine.

Rode a bit in our current mashed potato snow, some on a frozen lake bed, some on gravel, and some on paved roads, over 8 miles total. Our snow will all disappear tomorrow with 60 Deg F temperatures and inches of rain forecast. Snow was so mushy that it held the bike up on its own.

Tire pressure of 5F/7R PSI worked out well. Some sealant seepage on the rear tire bead at 3 PSI, but I pumped it back to 7 and no problems. These tire pressures worked out pretty well on the road also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-feb-18-michiana-shores-creek.jpg  

Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Upgraded the bottom bracket cups to sealed YST, necessary for all the sand we have around here. Spindle is of good quality with uniform wear pattern on the bearing journals.

BB threads on the frame were clean, square, and tight. No installation issues at all.

Running tubeless 6 PSI front / 8 PSI rear, good balance for the road, dune trails, and beach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-bb-spindle.jpg  

GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-bb-threads-left.jpg  

GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-bb-threads-right.jpg  

GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-yst-bb-fixed-cup-loctite.jpg  

GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-yst-bb-cup-installed.jpg  

Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Left pedal developed a knock, replaced with these Terra Hiker wide flats:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y2...TF8&psc=1&th=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-terra-hiker-pedal.jpg  

Last edited by Paul Fithian; 03-04-2018 at 07:16 AM.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Cut the handlebar 1" on each side to 25" overall width and installed a Shimano 8-Speed Rapidfire Plus shifter to match the 8 speed cassette on the new wheelset.

I have ridden this bike pretty hard for the past few months, 20-40 miles per week. Except for the left pedal knock, no issues with the stock components.

Lately tire pressures have been 5 PSI front / 7 PSI rear, good balance for the varied terrain we ride.

GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-yukon-25-inch-bars-8-speed-shifter.jpg
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Fork upgraded to Surly Ice Cream Truck 150x15 thru axle.

Now there is no chance of the left side of the front wheel being pushed out of the dropout when braking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-ict-fork-1.jpg  

GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-ict-fork-2.jpg  

Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    How much do you have invested in that bike now?
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Summary of costs.

All this to run 5 PSI with 5" tires on the beach!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GMC Yukon - Kent 52618-cost-workup.jpg  

Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    LoL. Yeah, I hear you. Upgrade-itis hits hard.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    He would have had a much better transmission with that amount on a used fat.

mtbr member
    Do you feel knowing what you now know about the bike (well earned tinkering knowledge) and current cost, that you might have gone a different route than purchasing this particular bike for one that was already capable? Do you feel you would not have been able to find a capable fatty at the 1100 price point?

As a tinkerer myself, I'm curious to know if you feel the knowledge you gained was worth the wallet dent. Was the build adventure worth the ticket price plus the upgrades cost?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Agreed, but none have been for sale in the Chicago area all winter.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Used Fat bikes arent easy to come by in the Midwest in that price range. If you do find one its at least a few years old and fairly worn. Mine I bought used for 800, was 7 years old, plenty of hard miles put on it, had to replace the drivetrain. Fat bikes seeing the used market has really thinned down.

I dont know about Paul seeing as knowledge to work on a rigid fat bike for me was really straight forward, but I did similar on an walmart FS (minimal) but when nuts on an entry trek 29er a few years ago. And yes learning the finer points of dealing with hydraulic disc brakes on a mountain bike (much more finicky than what I deal with daily on motor vehicles), servicing and tuning suspension components and so on was well worth the wallet hit. Also caused me to buy a lot of specialized tools which now I have for any bike I ever own.

Fat bikes to me are as straight forward as working on any basic bicycle but at the same time many (myself included) cant just go drop coin on a mid level bike. Though there is a huge penalty later, regardless of the bike its still a "cheap bike" so lucky to get even half your investment back out of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Not unhappy with where I ended up, a lightweight aluminum frame, chrome moly fork, capable of running 5" + tires.

Prior to this endeavor, I knew nothing about tubeless setup or that the stock rims could not hold the tire on the beads at less than 10 PSI. Incremental learning and cost.

In hindsight, I would have gone with this: Free Ship 48 Plus Save up to 60% off new MuleFut Tubeless Compatible Wheel Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Sturgis NX MuleFut Tubeless Compatible Wheel Fatbikes But that has a 100 mm bottom bracket, the Yukon is 120 mm.

The Yukon aluminum frame is good quality and 197 rear spacing. Bearing races on the bottom bracket and headset show smooth, even wear, quality machining, threading, and alignment.

I have ridden this pretty hard since the start of the year, the only failure has been a left pedal knock.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Geez people on C-List are whining over my $1,000 asking price on a 2015 Mukluk that is in excellent shape. Granted, no 5" tires, but I'll take the quality over a little flotation.

Come September people will start thinking about the snow flying again...

mtbr member
    Not unhappy with where I ended up
    That's really all that matters. Happy rollin'!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Geez people on C-List are whining over my $1,000 asking price on a 2015 Mukluk that is in excellent shape. Granted, no 5" tires, but I'll take the quality over a little flotation.

Come September people will start thinking about the snow flying again...
    Don't they always whine? That's been my selling experience with CL. That said, I'd talk you down from the 1K you're asking or walk away myself... assuming all original parts. However, condition is the name of the game and if it is really in good condition then it will depend on the area it's listed.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Not unhappy with where I ended up, a lightweight aluminum frame, chrome moly fork, capable of running 5" + tires.

Prior to this endeavor, I knew nothing about tubeless setup or that the stock rims could not hold the tire on the beads at less than 10 PSI. Incremental learning and cost.

In hindsight, I would have gone with this: Free Ship 48 Plus Save up to 60% off new MuleFut Tubeless Compatible Wheel Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Sturgis NX MuleFut Tubeless Compatible Wheel Fatbikes But that has a 100 mm bottom bracket, the Yukon is 120 mm.

The Yukon aluminum frame is good quality and 197 rear spacing. Bearing races on the bottom bracket and headset show smooth, even wear, quality machining, threading, and alignment.

I have ridden this pretty hard since the start of the year, the only failure has been a left pedal knock.
    Actually the bottom bracket is the exact same final spacing. Actually lost on the Yukon because you are limited to very basic cranks. 100mm bottom bracket is the frame, not where the crank arms are. 100mm was used in 170mm, cranksets then spaced for 190/197 rear spacing without modifying frame.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    No.

The width of the bottom bracket on the frame of the Yukon measures 120mm.

There is quite a bit to choose from with square taper cranks, so I'm not sure how that limits me for anything I'm interested in doing with it.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Agreed, but none have been for sale in the Chicago area all winter.
    I live in the Midwest and I find this hard to believe. Between Craigslist and the Facebook classifieds I see them all the time. Plus people will ship so it doesn't have to be in the Chicago area.

For a $1100 or so you could have bought a decent used fat bike with quality parts that you would have spent more time riding on than wrenching on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    For a $1100 or so you could have bought a decent used fat bike with quality parts that you would have spent more time riding on than wrenching on.
    You missed the early on quote:

Outside of the stock tires and seapost, only failed items will be upgraded ...
    And so it began...

Not everyone can say they have the most expensive $300 bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    I live in the Midwest and I find this hard to believe. Between Craigslist and the Facebook classifieds I see them all the time.
    None on C/L or Pinkbike. I don’t use Bacefook. And I would’t buy a bike I couldn’t check out in person.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Surely a Mongoose Argus Comp (OK the thru axles model just came out recently) would have been simpler? All the same it was an interesting thread and big ups to the OP for sticking with it and sharing. A good reference for others with upgraditis.
    Last edited by MozFat; 04-23-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12