mtbr member

Global Fat Bike Day 2019 will be Sunday August 25

Time for a change.

Mark your calendars.
    Out to ride

Elitest thrill junkie
    Naw, it's good at this time of the year, bringing people together in the dark.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    We had rain, 40 mph wind and 35 degrees! Not a good day for getting together to ride fatties. Hopefully next year will be colder with snow!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    In Bragg Creek AB, we had frozen dirt with patches of ice hidden under 1/4" of snow.

mtbr member
    My religion embraces fatbiking, but fatbiking is not my religion. I embrace my religion on Sunday. Let's keep it on Saturday please, for best participation and success. I'm open to having it any season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Endomorph View Post
    Time for a change.

Mark your calendars.
    Fat bikes are about snow. Not sure why August 25th.

Early December is even pushing it. Lot of places don't have snow to ride yet.

January or February something or other would be a better time than December.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Perhaps OP was in one those crummy weather places (36, windy and rainy here) and is lashing out with sarcasm?

mtbr member
    Nup. Sorry.

GFBD 1st Sat of December. Changing it would be like changing Xmas.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    August 25th is already jam packed with action....
    https://www.checkiday.com/8/25/2018

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    August 25th is already jam packed with action....
    https://www.checkiday.com/8/25/2018
    Missed it by a year. Who's not up for a whiskey sour or two and some fat biking single track?

First world problems for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Around here the trails close to bikes on Dec 1

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Nup. Sorry.

GFBD 1st Sat of December. Changing it would be like changing Xmas.
    Who died and made you GFBD boss?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Who died and made you GFBD boss?

Well if you doubt what I said, why not ask the people who started GFBD?

EDIT:

Here's the original post in mtbr https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/gl...ne-821800.html

There's nothing stopping you having a USA FatBike Day
    Last edited by Velobike; 1 Week Ago at 12:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Not even the dakota 50 by then. My fatbikes hanging from the roof covered in dust till mid October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

since 4/10/2009
    Early December is even pushing it. Lot of places don't have snow to ride yet.

January or February something or other would be a better time than December.
    This has been my contention for years.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    This has been my contention for years.
    Mine as well but who am I to question a person with the name Larry Endomorph

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What's next...If you are not on a FatBike...get the hell off my lawn?

All that aside, any time set is going to be out of the question for some.

Those who are unable, can be there in spirit.

GFBD has...is becoming...to the point of being a tradition. While I understand the reasoning behind by others to change the date, in doing so, would result in destroying what has begun, and would bring an emptiness to the new.
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SADDLE TRAMP View Post
    What's next...If you are not on a FatBike...get the hell off my lawn?
    No!! Get off my snow bank!!

in doing so, would result in destroying what has begun, and would bring an emptiness to the new.
    Moving the date has that kind of power?!

Who knew?!

since 4/10/2009
    No!! Get off my snow bank!!

Moving the date has that kind of power?!

Who knew?!

What snow bank? There hasn't been a single GFBD since I bought a fatbike where I've even ridden on frozen trails. Temps have mostly been in the 40's. One year it was raining and we did an urban ride. And every time, plenty of people showed up on whatever bike they owned and had a good time.

Moving the date is definitely apocalyptic for the event, though. Making the event more festive for more people is just horrible! Horrible, I say!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    @ prj71

When GFBD was first started, where was the exclusion of anyone who wanted to join; riding upon any bike, in their local conditions, anywhere on the earth, snow or not?

Did the guys in the UK snub their cousins Down Under...unawares?

If those on here, with the best of intentsions, are trying to be more inclusive by changing the date...it is impossible.

Inclusive and division have the opposite context.

If you must, call it something other.

Edit: If the concept of division is not clear...put yourself in the place of our UK friends.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'll say there's no way in hell I'd ride my fatbike in August except to commute to work.

Fatbikes are the reason for the season.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    It's called Global for a reason.

If you want to create another fatbike day, go ahead, we could always use another excuse, but don't hi-jack the original. The world is much bigger than the USA, there's rides in many countries around the world.

And if you think your weather is unsuitable, consider the folk in the Southern Hemisphere, eg the north of Australia. GFBD will be hotter than hell in some places - my mate who has just come back from there was talking of 40ºC+ temps in the south. Meanwhile the Russians were having a ball in the snow.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Some years ago, the UK people decided to create their own independent forum.

At the time, if memory serves, I expressed that mtbr would suffer for the loss of their participation on here. If pressed, I might name 10 -12 who were regulars. Now, only three of those come to mind.

Creating another GFBD at another time, points to the same path; giving good people, who are on the fence, wondering...why...and good-bye, I'm outa here!

All that is being asked...is...don't call it the same.

mtbr member
    Some years ago, the UK people decided to create their own independent forum.

At the time, if memory serves, I expressed that mtbr would suffer for the loss of their participation on here. If pressed, I might name 10 -12 who were regulars. Now, only three of those come to mind.

Creating another GFBD at another time, points to the same path; giving good people, who are on the fence, wondering...why...and good-bye, I'm outa here!

All that is being asked...is...don't call it the same.
    Is it really a thing? I don't need a stinking recognized day to enjoy my fatty.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    A sidebar change of pace:

VB; I gather that the UK fatbike forum is defunk?

I was on there for awhile, but ran into some concerns over security, so I refrained.

A search would suggest that they are no longer in operation; true?

Which raises the question; does that fact have anything to do with the subject at hand?

Even so, my position does not change...keep the door...ajar.

mtbr member
    ...VB; I gather that the UK fatbike forum is defunk?

I was on there for awhile, but ran into some concerns over security, so I refrained.

A search would suggest that they are no longer in operation; true?...
    That one died due to various problems, which was unfortunate because I had a lot of trips written up in there. I should have kept copies.

However a new one has just been started in the last few weeks and most of the original crew are on it. fat-bike.co.uk - Index page

A Surly Maverick
    Some of us '(Ir)regulars' are still round
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Still not without your sense of humor I see Dr;

Thanks for the link VB.

Now I see there is another thread saying that it has been settled to be back on track.

?????????????????????????

From where I sit, it looks like a big todo about nothing. One making a blanket statement to affect a change, and another using the same to counter.

-30-

since 4/10/2009
    Now I see there is another thread saying that it has been settled to be back on track.

?????????????????????????

From where I sit, it looks like a big todo about nothing. One making a blanket statement to affect a change, and another using the same to counter.

-30-
    lmao....you're slow, aren't you?

mtbr member
    What snow bank? There hasn't been a single GFBD since I bought a fatbike where I've even ridden on frozen trails. Temps have mostly been in the 40's. One year it was raining and we did an urban ride. And every time, plenty of people showed up on whatever bike they owned and had a good time.
    So why the hell did you buy a fatbike in the first place? Please tell me you didn’t a snowmobile too. You can always move, that’s what I did!

Elitest thrill junkie
    December at least gives us a CHANCE in the Northern Hemisphere. The Southern Hemisphere is upside down, so they don't matter.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    So why the hell did you buy a fatbike in the first place? Please tell me you didn’t a snowmobile too. You can always move, that’s what I did!
    I have ridden it in snow. Just not in the first week of december.

But it has been a 4 season bike for me, anyway. I didn't buy it just for snow.

Still, considering how many people buy fatbikes JUST for snow, it seems that putting GFBD in January would make more sense for the northern hemisphere folks who appear to have organized the event in the first place.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My last post on this issue

https://fat-bike.com/2018/12/2018-gl...Jy1BEN6dmLpkVs

Global means global, not USA.

aka bOb

Still, considering how many people buy fatbikes JUST for snow, it seems that putting GFBD in January would make more sense for the northern hemisphere folks who appear to have organized the event in the first place.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    It is kinda weird that the first organizer(s) who set up the date set it for when the local trails (to them) could be questionable and didn't make it later/earlier in the year.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    It is kinda weird that the first organizer(s) who set up the date set it for when the local trails (to them) could be questionable and didn't make it later/earlier in the year.
    I don't think so, going further into December you have x-mass, then new-years, so while you could do it in Jan, it kind of "gathers" everyone together at the start of the season IMO. Once we get to Feb and March we have a gathering at the glaciers damn near every weekend, at least that's what it seems to be, but that's heavy into the event/racing season too, so again, it seems to get ahead of that.

Really, you have three choices, one, make it winter in the Southern Hemisphere, which doesn't get anywhere near as much snow as the Northern due to not much landmass in the "snow range", or compromise and make in the shoulder seasons so no one has snow, or make it winter in the Northern Hemisphere where there is much more landmass between 40 and 70°.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Coming from the original UK Fatbike scene that the guy that started the UK Fatbike Forum and then GFBD did not actually ride a `proper` Fatbike-but a 3" 29+ plus Surly Krampus which you Yanks constantly say is not a Fatbike ( but still a flotation tyre bike, and welcome at my Fatbke meet FORTH FAT) and then later did say that Fatbikes are shit for riding??? -yes he did say that!

So screw him and the whole weekend event and whatever date you want to make it!
    I never attended my local GFBD meet as really not interested anymore...
    I ride Fatbikes, and those Fatbikes with +wheels and i ride them all year round and not really worried what anyone else thinks of that, as said totally differant riding conditions that will not suit everyone...
    And i am not really interested in posing for pics with my hands in the air like a WW2 prisoner!
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    That one died due to various problems, which was unfortunate because I had a lot of trips written up in there. I should have kept copies.

However a new one has just been started in the last few weeks and most of the original crew are on it. fat-bike.co.uk - Index page
    So who is running this Velobike?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post

So screw him and the whole weekend event and whatever date you want to make it!
    I never attended my local GFBD meet as really not interested anymore...
    I ride Fatbikes, and those Fatbikes with +wheels and i ride them all year round and not really worried what anyone else thinks of that, as said totally differant riding conditions that will not suit everyone...
    And i am not really interested in posing for pics with my hands in the air like a WW2 prisoner!
    Agreed, I have not ridin in one since the conception.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I'll say there's no way in hell I'd ride my fatbike in August except to commute to work.

Fatbikes are the reason for the season.
    Guess you don`t live near the coast then, or near peat based hillsin the Scottish borders that are soft and ideal for Fatbikes where they cause little erosion damage, and peat dose not stick to tyes (thats tires for you USA guys) or ride loose gravel hillside trails where Fatbikes excel with there grip, like here in the UK Scottish Highlands, or in England`s North Moors and Lakes,

So you see in some countries Fatbikes are year round bikes to ride,

Still i think though of no point to GFBD for this and other global problems of being the same... go ride your bikde of choice and enjoy it for what makes you happy...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Guess you don`t live near the coast then, or near peat based hillsin the Scottish borders that are soft and ideal for Fatbikes where they cause little erosion damage, and peat dose not stick to tyes (thats tires for you USA guys) or ride loose gravel hillside trails where Fatbikes excel with there grip, like here in the UK Scottish Highlands, or in England`s North Moors and Lakes,

So you see in some countries Fatbikes are year round bikes to ride,

Still i think though of no point to GFBD for this and other global problems of being the same... go ride your bikde of choice and enjoy it for what makes you happy...
    I do live on the coast.

But in the summer the best place to ride is in the mountains.

People ride fatbikes here year round, but most people do not. Not when we got such amazing summer trails.