Gear ratios- Mtbr.com

Thread: Gear ratios

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Gear ratios

So Iíve had the Framed Minnesota 2.0 for a couple of years now, and love it.
    Came across the Alaskan carbon model a couple of weeks ago, and bought it, pretty awesome bike for the money.
    I was wondering, what gear ratios are available for the front chain ring. I am coming from a double chain ring on the 2.0 to a single on the Alaskan.
    Last couple of times, I feel like I am over spinning on the Alaskan, using the 11 on the back, and I believe the front is 32.
    I feel that if I go with a little bit larger front chain ring, would be ideal.
    Or, like on a rode bike, do I need to get a new cassette for the back with a different ratio? Is the a 10 available.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    , I like to ride on paved/gravel trails.
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wanna ride bikes?
    Sounds like you just need a bigger chainring, but it would be helpful to know what cassette is on the back?

If the frame has clearance you could switch to a 34t chainring, or maybe a 36t.

No, most likely you can't get a 10t small cog on the cassette. Posting pics of your current setup would help though.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Bought it from someone who rode it only a couple of times, so i think it is all stock.
    Looking at the website, it looks like it came with 11-50 cassette on the back, and it is also a 12 speed Eagle components.
    Will try taking a pic tomorrow and will post it.
    Thanks for the reply.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by laxdad View Post
    So Iíve had the Framed Minnesota 2.0 for a couple of years now, and love it.
    Came across the Alaskan carbon model a couple of weeks ago, and bought it, pretty awesome bike for the money.
    I was wondering, what gear ratios are available for the front chain ring. I am coming from a double chain ring on the 2.0 to a single on the Alaskan.
    Last couple of times, I feel like I am over spinning on the Alaskan, using the 11 on the back, and I believe the front is 32.
    I feel that if I go with a little bit larger front chain ring, would be ideal.
    Or, like on a rode bike, do I need to get a new cassette for the back with a different ratio? Is the a 10 available.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    , I like to ride on paved/gravel trails.
    Thanks.

What do you need the larger front for? Are you spinning at 90rpm on the front? I say this with the caveat that wind resistance limits me far more than gearing does on a fat-bike, racing high expert and occasionally winning races, with a 32 up front. I think a lot of this has been shown by how the old 42 and bigger rings have essentially faded away, even from DH riding, because while you could turn them, you really weren't going faster than turning the smaller ring with higher cadence.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

All fat, all the time.
    Cheapest is just go up to a34 or 36 chain ring.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What do you need the larger front for? Are you spinning at 90rpm on the front?
    This is the workable part of the problem. I was puzzled, till I get to this...

"I like to ride on paved/gravel trails."

Ah.

Yes, bigger ring in front, or, take some spinning classes and learn how to harness the power of higher cadence....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Thingamejigger
    Have a play about with a gear calc, you can work out all sorts to compare what you have to what you would like...

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html