Full suspension fat options around/under 5k?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Full suspension fat options around/under 5k?

What's out there? So far I've been looking at the following:

- New Farley EX 9.8 frame-only and DIY. The 3300 price tag for the frame/shock is a little silly, especially considering only the front triange is carbon.

- Used Farley/Bucksaw. These have been hard to find. TPC on eBay have a couple of used aluminum Farleys in my size but I don't care for the blue color and I'd like to go with carbon.

- Dopamine. Looks great, not sure on the build quality and have never seen one in person.

- Mutz. I've demoed one a few times and while they are definitely sweet bikes (holy shit the welds are amazing) they aren't for me. Awesome but IMO overpriced.

- Fatlab. After some internet digging, there seems to be too much drama for me. I've ridden a Sandman Indus and I liked it but ~5k for an aluminum bike is again a bit much.

- Huraxdax. I've seen a couple of these in person and they're pretty sweet, but they're from Germany and I'd have to buy one sight unseen. Tough to gamble that much $$ without throwing a leg over something.

What else should I be considering / what am I missing? I don't need a ton of travel but I do like to send it over the winter and my current hardtail isn't really up to it anymore. Did plus kill FS fat, or am I just out of the loop? I feel like my budget is reasonable, I just can't find much out there.
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Farley EX
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ICAN SN04 frame.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Man if you can get your hands on a Farley EX 8, do it. They are fantastic and extremely versatile easily accommodating 29” x 3.0”s. Yeah the color is not ideal, but they are awesome bikes! The Bucksaw is good as well (see my sig) but I’d go with the Farley every time.
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickin’ sweet!

mtbr member
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickin’ sweet!

All fat, all the time.
    Don't forget the lenz fatillac, the bucksaw is good, but the lenz is better.
    I have both, the bucksaw is the winter bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akgrimace View Post
    ICAN SN04 frame.
    There also is the CS-001 frame but only very little info about it available.
    The CS-001 has a 100mm BB and 177mm rear whereas the SN04 has a 120mm and a 197mm rear, so the former might allow for a smaller Q-factor depending on the chainstays.
    Can anyone comment on the other differences between these two or why he would prefer one over the other?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If you don't look at the Lenz Fatillac you really aren't looking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    The Growler appears to be a sn04.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input! I definitely appreciate it.

I can't help but be leary of the chinese carbon frames. And I say that somewhat hypocritically - i have 3 sets of chinese carbon wheels (road, gravel, plus) and they've been great.

Just looking to get "the bike" that I can get 5-6 seasons out of. My fatboy has been awesome but it's a tank and not even remotely good for anything gnarly.
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Farley EX
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    Thanks for all the input! I definitely appreciate it.

I can't help but be leary of the chinese carbon frames. And I say that somewhat hypocritically - i have 3 sets of chinese carbon wheels (road, gravel, plus) and they've been great.

Just looking to get "the bike" that I can get 5-6 seasons out of. My fatboy has been awesome but it's a tank and not even remotely good for anything gnarly.
    I have one of the first run of 24 FS carbon fat bikes frames from carbon speed xm. It has been a great frame for the last two years.

In Stock! CS-001 newest full suspension fat bike frame 26er for 177*12mm axle - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd

I did have to build up the bike though so if you don't want to do that direction might not be your thing.

mtbr member
    Thanks for chiming in Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by KenPsz View Post
    I one of the first run of 24 FS carbon fat bikes frames from carbon speed xm. It has been a great frame for the last two years.
    Would you mind telling us a bit more about the frame?
    There is little to no info on it available, apparently there was a thread about but it seems to have disappeared

If you don't mind could you write more about your experience with it, what cranks do you run and what is the q-factor of your combination, what tire sizes and widths are possible - is 27.5"x3.8 doable?

If you have a few photos of your I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Also, can someone comment on this? :-(

Quote Originally Posted by jet9pilot View Post
    I dont think that carbon speed is making the CS-001 any longer. I tried buying a M a couple months ago and they were out of stock. They told me they didnt plan on making any more. If you have 197 rear wheel you should go Ican for sure. I have 3 sets of 177 thats why i wanted CS-001.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Topo View Post
    Thanks for chiming in Ken.

Would you mind telling us a bit more about the frame?
    There is little to no info on it available, apparently there was a thread about but it seems to have disappeared

If you don't mind could you write more about your experience with it, what cranks do you run and what is the q-factor of your combination, what tire sizes and widths are possible - is 27.5"x3.8 doable?

If you have a few photos of your I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Also, can someone comment on this? :-(
    I'll have to figure out the qfactor.
    I'll measure my BB to give you full crank information, since I don't remember.

Tire size I am running 60mm rims with 3.8 Maxis fat bike tires and there is room for more. I did have some 80mm rims but I did not like how once they were spun up the bike would not turn. So I would not worry much about tire width but I will measure the rear to give you full numbers.

The 177 is a valid concern though since that seems to be an odd size now for many a fat bike.

I do run a coil over since I am over 230lbs and from other bikes rear air shocks just don't work well for me.

I'll get a new photo and post that as well.

As far as the bike goes it's the best bike I have ever had. I run a Wren on the front and the bike just eats up the trail like it's just not there. When I have let other people ride it they comment on how it is like riding a Cadillac.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the swift reply, Ken!

I'll have to figure out the qfactor.
    I'll measure my BB to give you full crank information, since I don't remember.
    The 177 is a valid concern though since that seems to be an odd size now for many a fat bike.
    I don't mind the 177mm rear, in fact I prefer it because I want a low Q-factor (QF) which is harder to achieve with a 197mm rear. I assume you run a 170mm spindle which would result in a minimal QF of 203mm depending on the crank and if the crank clears the chain stays.

Tire size I am running 60mm rims with 3.8 Maxis fat bike tires and there is room for more. I did have some 80mm rims but I did not like how once they were spun up the bike would not turn. So I would not worry much about tire width but I will measure the rear to give you full numbers.
    Are you talking about 27.5x3.8 or 26x3.8?
    According to Carbon Speed the max width is 26x4.6 and 27.5x3.5, we know there always is some wiggle room but it would be good to know how much, especially since 27.5x3.8 is a nice tire size for a fast fat setup.

I do run a coil over since I am over 230lbs and from other bikes rear air shocks just don't work well for me.
    I didn't even think about what shock to choose but thanks for mentioning it.

I'll get a new photo and post that as well.
    Looking forward to it!

TIA!

Thingamejigger
    As above, the Lenz isnt on your list...

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/b-...c-1101193.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Lamere makes the Dopamine. I don't really like the guy, shop or their sponsored riders but that bike is pretty sweet. lots of options for how the bike can be built up. they make multiple rear triangles to accommodate 197, 177 or 148 spacing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    El_Topo - let me know if you need other measurements

Pardon the mud
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full suspension fat options around/under 5k?-20190621_074401.jpg  

Full suspension fat options around/under 5k?-20190621_074434.jpg  

Full suspension fat options around/under 5k?-20190621_074457.jpg  

Full suspension fat options around/under 5k?-20190621_074532.jpg  

mtbr member
    El_Topo - let me know if you need other measurements

Pardon the mud
    Don't worry about the mud, I appreciate it very much that you took the time to take those pictures!

I'd be interested how much your setup weighs (excluding the mud^^) and do you think weight could be taken off.

Those are 27.5x3.8 tires, right? So a 27.5x4.6 tire (that measures around 4.3ish) should fit if I interpret your photos correctly.

Can you snap a photo that shows crank clearance like these two ( 1 / 2 )? Your setup should have a Q-factor of around 210mm if I am not mistaken, it cranks with less of an offset clear one could get that down to 203mm with Next SL or something equally narrow if I am not mistaken.

TIA!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Topo View Post
    Don't worry about the mud, I appreciate it very much that you took the time to take those pictures!

I'd be interested how much your setup weighs (excluding the mud^^) and do you think weight could be taken off.

Those are 27.5x3.8 tires, right? So a 27.5x4.6 tire (that measures around 4.3ish) should fit if I interpret your photos correctly.

Can you snap a photo that shows crank clearance like these two ( 1 / 2 )? Your setup should have a Q-factor of around 210mm if I am not mistaken, it cranks with less of an offset clear one could get that down to 203mm with Next SL or something equally narrow if I am not mistaken.

TIA!
    I can get a rough weight for you - it is roughly 38lb does not feel that heavy riding it. The Wren is heavy and so are the wheels and tires, so there is weight that can be taken off if you wanted to mix and match differently. But I'm 240lb so the bike is 16% of my weight which does not bother me much.

Those are 26x3.8 tires

The clearance on the cranks is around 5mm on the non-drive side and 3mm drive side. It's pretty tight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My 2 cents:
    I own a Farley EX. It is my go to bike most of the year...and mostly run with 29+ wheels.
    I also run B Fat wheels( Hodag 27.5x3.8 tires) when it's muddy or slippery.
    I have run it with studded 26 x 4.8s when it is chunky frozen ice/snow ( but most of the time...I don't need f/s in snow)
    I had a Carbon version....the frame was about 1/4 lb lighter than the aluminum ( I recently sold it after an offer I couldn't refuse)
    Both have outstanding rear suspension...and I run a Mastodon up front.

I had a Bucksaw....nice bike. But for me, a large felt a little cramped and XL too big.
    I also couldn't fit 29+ wheels on it....and never got to try Bfats on it.

I have tried a Fatlab....nice...but for several reasons, not nice enough to buy

I tried a Mutz....great bike, but for me, it was too much bike

I am looking at a Lenz Behemoth now...seeing I run 29+ most of the year.( but wondering if I'll miss the few times I use the Bfat setup on a f/s)

Throw in where and how you ride( I'm in New England...where it's rocky and rooty).....it makes the decision harder.

mtbr member
    Love my EX8 once I threw a Mastodon with increased travel on it. Running 50mm carbon hoops with Minion 3.8's. I would have gone Bucksaw but never found a used one at the price point I was looking for. Roughster beat to the local one on Craigslist. I did look over one by Proudfoot Cycles at Sea Otter Classic. Steel construction out of CO. If money was no concern I'd go 6" travel Fatillac for the trails I frequent most.

mtbr member
    There’s always Huffy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    You can buy my Bucksaw Carbon X01 for 2500. Size L. Has been regularly serviced and comes with two extra wherlsets built by mikesee. 29er and 27.5+. Pretty damn good condition.