mtbr member
    Sep 2006

FS fatbike as a DH bike

I plan to test this out this summer: Bucksaw with dropper post and 2 sets of wheels, 65mm 26" wheels with something like Hodags, FBNs or Vanhelgas and a 27.5+ wheelset with FBNs, Trailblazers or whatever I can get my hands on (would love some Ground Controls).

What's your DH Fat experience?

The White Jeff W
    MikeSee mentioned in another thread that tire durability will be the limiting factor. I haven't done any down hill on my fat bike but have done some pretty technical riding on rocky trails and so far my Vee H Billies have held up well. There's some wear showing on the sidewalls but so far no failures.

Id suggest the looking at Sun Ringle Mulefut rims. I dont know that they're the most durable but you definitely wont have to worry about the tires coming off the rim. Maybe something without the cut outs would be more durable.
    No moss...

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by sisu View Post
    I plan to test this out this summer: Bucksaw with dropper post and 2 sets of wheels, 65mm 26" wheels with something like Hodags, FBNs or Vanhelgas and a 27.5+ wheelset with FBNs, Trailblazers or whatever I can get my hands on (would love some Ground Controls).

What's your DH Fat experience?
    Set up properly, any bike can be built for DH purposes. Slack angles and a lower seat post help a lot... along with powerful brakes, bigger rotors and wide bars. Heck a hard tail Klunker can kill it on the downs set up right and with good riding skills. What your proposing should make for a fast comfortable DH experience! Good luck and hang on!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 C-dale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What appeals to me about using a FS fat bike for DH is that when you suck at it like I do, all that traction helps a ton...when you pick a bad line, need to scrub speed in a hurry, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I love my Bucksaw for the sections of trail that go back down. But these are all sections that I've climbed up. If you're talking true DH, as in lift serviced, the 4" of travel on a fat bike is going to get eaten up real fast, especially compared to the standard 8" front rear of a DH bike.

Could you ride a BS for DH? Absolutely, I started riding Plattekill on a Proflex with 3" of travel, 650mm handlebars and cantilever brakes. The same trails are still there today, but just a lot more fun (and less dangerous) on a true DH bike. There are trails at Mt Creek that could easily be ridden on a fat FS, and there are some I wouldn't think about riding without the extra travel. But I can guarantee my Jumbo Jim's wouldn't make it to lunch time at a place like that, and it's very well groomed there.

My point is to enjoy the bike for what it was designed for. If you can pedal to the top, it should handle getting you back down. Its an awesome ride, very confident inspiring, but has its limit. As fun as it would be to take it to Mt Creek, it's going to stay home on those days.

mtbr member
    I rode with a guy on a mutz a couple weeks ago (I was on my tr500) he was not slow and was going buckwild on that thing. I was at a loss for words at the lift line. Now I just built myself a mutz.....