Frozen Footprints?- Mtbr.com
    MaxTheCyclist.com

Frozen Footprints?

Hi all,

What's the ideal pressure for refrozen footprints? My first ride on my fatbike was on here, so I didn't get the hit of Fatbike Grin I was anticipating... more of a smirk, and a wince.

It was tough keeping control since the tires were sliding to the left and right over the sloped footprints. Do I drop the pressure as much as I dare for grip, or keep it high and try to go faster?

Interested in your experiences, will continue to have my own as the winter goes on. Still love this bike.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Post holers suck! 20psi probably hurts more if you're able catch them in the act and roll over them. In lieu of that, biggest tire you have at lo psi. Experimentation is required to figure it out. Probably 0-5psi though.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    I figure there's a big learning curve with pressure, so I use my pump often and am always testing things out. Do people carry gauges or just go by feel (I'm used to the latter on my other bikes)?

I dropped them down so much, I could flatten down to the rim if I bunny hopped on pavement (didn't do that more than once). That seemed better but things were still very, very squirrely.

I am thinking maybe refrozen footprints with a completely slick ice surface are studs-only territory, maybe?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    Hi all,

What's the ideal pressure for refrozen footprints? My first ride on my fatbike was on here, so I didn't get the hit of Fatbike Grin I was anticipating... more of a smirk, and a wince.

It was tough keeping control since the tires were sliding to the left and right over the sloped footprints. Do I drop the pressure as much as I dare for grip, or keep it high and try to go faster?

Interested in your experiences, will continue to have my own as the winter goes on. Still love this bike.
    I know some people on this forum make it sound like fatbiking on snow is all grins and giggles, but sometimes it just sucks. As a VERY general rule, you're probably better off with lower pressure in the conditions you describe, for traction, control, and comfort. For short sections, where you can see better trail on the other side, I will sometimes power through, but that will wear you out over time. I run a rigid fork, but some people are liking a Bluto up front for postholed trails.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    I figure there's a big learning curve with pressure, so I use my pump often and am always testing things out. Do people carry gauges or just go by feel (I'm used to the latter on my other bikes)?

I dropped them down so much, I could flatten down to the rim if I bunny hopped on pavement (didn't do that more than once). That seemed better but things were still very, very squirrely.

I am thinking maybe refrozen footprints with a completely slick ice surface are studs-only territory, maybe?
    Low pressure remains the key. I usually run mine low enough I can press then to the rim with my hand, almost.

"Mostly flat" rolls over all terrain.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Laramie, Wyoming
    low and slow. Some days it's better to find a different trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    I know some people on this forum make it sound like fatbiking on snow is all grins and giggles, but sometimes it just sucks. .......
    Yep. And it takes a ride like that every once in a while for you to appreciate the blue bird rides.
    The swearing up a storm, the I'm cold/wet/overheated, it's getting dark and I should have been home hours ago, why did I go out this far when the conditions were deteriorating, I'm hungry, I should have packed better, tried less PSI, tried more PSI, "this ride would have been cake if I had ___ equipment instead of the ___ I'm running", I need a bail out option.......is there a bail out option?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanneson View Post
    Post holers suck!
    Yeah...
    Skiers to bikers: stay off my trails!
    Bikers to hikers: stay off my trails!
    Hikers to every other user: stay off my trails!
    Instead of a sign showing who yields to whom, we need a sign showing user groups flipping each other off. Or... we could just see other trail users as kindred spirits who love the outdoors and show some tolerance and courtesy. Ha.... Like that will happen.

If you were just kidding, sorry... had to vent.
    Veni vidi velo!

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Yep. And it takes a ride like that every once in a while for you to appreciate the blue bird rides.
    The swearing up a storm, the I'm cold/wet/overheated, it's getting dark and I should have been home hours ago, why did I go out this far when the conditions were deteriorating, I'm hungry, I should have packed better, tried less PSI, tried more PSI, "this ride would have been cake if I had ___ equipment instead of the ___ I'm running", I need a bail out option.......is there a bail out option?
    Luckily there's Type 2 fun. Plenty familiar with that.

Besides, nobody buys a Pugsley to get KOM's!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah...
    Instead of a sign showing who yields to whom, we need a sign showing user groups flipping each other off. Or... we could just see other trail users as kindred spirits who love the outdoors and show some tolerance and courtesy. Ha.... Like that will happen.

Horses ruined our freshly groomed trails on Saturday. We got 3 foot deep extra large post holes....

mtbr member
    That's why I dont ride groomed trails, unless you count Ma Natures groomers: wind, snow, ice, freeze/thaw cycles, dog teams, moose, and (God bless 'em ) snogos. If you don't own or pay for said groomed trails, deal with it, I say. If you do, then you got some poachers to catch and prosecute.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just get on your skinny 26er bike, go ride the frozen postholes for awhile then switch back to the fat bike. They will feel much better.
    Latitude 61

Rocking on a Rocky
    There is a specialized place in hell for post holers.
    Last edited by RockyJo1; 01-05-2016 at 12:15 PM.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    Horses ruined our freshly groomed trails on Saturday. We got 3 foot deep extra large post holes....
    Yuuup. Beat me to it:

Horses to everyone else: My owners are elitist douchebags that own ALL TRAILS. Oh, and, I hope you like my poop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just get a Bucksaw and ride really fast, yell passing and you won't even notice the post holes. No matter what tire pressure you are running.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scot_douglas View Post
    Oh, and, I hope you like my poop.
    This drive me NUTS. Horse owners around here seemingly have no compunction about leaving a giant, 10 pound steaming pile of crap in the middle of a busy MUP and simply walking away. Admittedly, I know nothing about horse riding but why is that tolerated?

mtbr member
    Yes frozen footprints can be annoying when they are pinballing you all over the place, but I cant complain too much as these same hikers/dog walkers are the ones that pack the trails after a large snowfall making the trails rideable again.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    Just get a Bucksaw and ride really fast, yell passing and you won't even notice the post holes. No matter what tire pressure you are running.
    Suspension definitely helps with icy postholed trails. I get that you're exaggerating a bit here, but I'm still going to point out that a trail CAN be postholed so much that nothing helps.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro11 View Post
    This drive me NUTS. Horse owners around here seemingly have no compunction about leaving a giant, 10 pound steaming pile of crap in the middle of a busy MUP and simply walking away. Admittedly, I know nothing about horse riding but why is that tolerated?
    Obviously their $hit don't stink. Obviously.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    There is a specialized place in hell post holers.
    That's good.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If the trail really is completely ice then studs are the name of the game. If there are just small bits of ice with firm snow around you can get away with regular fatbike tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    If the trail really is completely ice then studs are the name of the game. If there are just small bits of ice with firm snow around you can get away with regular fatbike tires.
    Thank you. I was wondering when the studded option would be mentioned.

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    Postholed snow is *rougher* in most cases than dry trails. Low tire pressure will only go so far - if you want a smoother/more controlled ride, your next step is suspension. I actually ride an FS fatbike in the winter and spent a lot of time on hardtails in the summer - because due to heavy use, our winter trails are way rougher in many cases. Much more enjoyable with suspension.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    Thank you. I was wondering when the studded option would be mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    Yup. me too. That's how the OP can stop the slipping and sliding and solve a big part of the problem.

j.