Frame for custom build: 9 zero 7 Whiteout AL or Surly ICT?- Mtbr.com
    Some guy
    Jul 2007

Frame for custom build: 9 zero 7 Whiteout AL or Surly ICT?

I've narrowed my choices for a custom build down to the 9 zero 7 Whiteout Aluminum and the Surly ICT. Unfortunately I am at a total impasse. I know these are totally different animals, and I like them for different reasons:

Surly ICT: Everybody who has one loves it and says it is just a "fun" bike to ride and likes the steel (I've been though the ICT thread). But it is heavy. Not sure what that really translates into other than extra legs/lungs required on my part to get up hills. Looks fantastic.

9Zero7: Light frame with great standover, and apparently very stable in snow (long chainstays). Top quality frame, but is it fun to ride? There's not as much out there to read about this frame as the ICT. All the attention is on the carbon version. Threaded BB which is nice.

Secondary option: 9Zero7 190mm at half the price of the other two.

I want the bike for winter trail riding/group rides with buddies, and maybe some use in warmer seasons depending on whether I find it more fun than my full suspension bike (Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt).

Would appreciate any input on these, particularly anybody who might have experience with both.

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    I'd compare to the geometry of your favorite non-fat bikes and see what's closest.

Oh, and forget the weight thing. Doesn't matter very much, especially for a fatbike where huge steep climbs are not a common thing.

-Walt

aka bOb
    My summer whip is a Thunderbolt BC, haven't found a fat bike that is more fun than it yet

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    My summer whip is a Thunderbolt BC, haven't found a fat bike that is more fun than it yet
    I agree the Thunderbolt is a great bike. Although to be fair I don't have a huge basis for comparison since I've only owned a few mountain bikes .

aka bOb
    I was tring to find a link to the Whiteout aluminum that you speak of and all I could find was the carbon version?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I was tring to find a link to the Whiteout aluminum that you speak of and all I could find was the carbon version?
    9:ZERO:7 Whiteout Aluminum 197mm Frameset offered by Fatbikes.com
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

aka bOb
    Ah I just looked on the 907 site and not Fatbikes.com sorry.

If I was going to spend a grand on a frame for a custom build I would get a USA built steel frame of sorts like the Vassago or something similar.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    It's on the 907 site as the 197mm Aluminum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I really like my 9:ZERO:7 whiteout, its a very fun bike to ride all year round. I have nothing bad to say about it. I like it over the 190mm 9:ZERO:7 for the thru axles.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Have you tried both 190 and 197 frames? Would love to hear if there is any real difference in feel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
    Have you tried both 190 and 197 frames? Would love to hear if there is any real difference in feel.
    I have not tried both the 190 QR and TA frame, but I had a 170mm 9:ZERO:7. I feel like the rear of the bike (whiteout) rides a little rougher, but otherwise it is a great setup. You really cannot go wrong with either bike.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I really like my 9:ZERO:7 whiteout, its a very fun bike to ride all year round. I have nothing bad to say about it. I like it over the 190mm 9:ZERO:7 for the thru axles.
    +1 I have a whiteout as well- it's really stiff and responsive, and handles well in spite of the long chain stays. In a perfect world, it would have 17" chain stays, but as it is, it's my favorite fat bike that I've owned to date, although that may (will) change when I get my bucksaw built up. My other experience with 9:Zero:7, was with a 135mm offset QR frame. It may be (probably is) apples to oranges with the 190mm frame, but the QR flexed a bit and I experienced a fair amount of tire rub. Also, the 197mm frame is suspension corrected, while, iirc, the 190, 170 & 135mm qr frames are/were not. This may result in geometry that is overly slacked out if you choose to run a suspension fork, as well as slower handling and a bit of wheel flop at low speeds. ymmv. The 197mm frame, otoh, is suspension corrected and the handling is lively and quick, even with 120mm of suspension travel.

I don't have any experience with the ICT, but my previous experience with Surly frames is that they're too flexible for my taste. my Pugsley was as stiff as a wet noodle and handled poorly as a result, with gobs of tire rub. It was also heavy, too, but as walt said, you're not likely to notice. As far as weight goes, you'll notice heavy wheels and tires before you notice weight in a frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You mentioned the word fun 3X.

ICT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    I'm currently riding a 190mm 907 year round. The bike flat out rocks. I did a custom build and shortly, I'll be upgrading the frame to the Whiteout.
    I like turtles