Forks with externally adjustable travel?- Mtbr.com
    1:18

New question here. Forks with externally adjustable travel?

I'm looking for a fat bike fork that has externally adjustable travel. Does anyone know if such product exists? So far I haven't found anything - only forks that can be internally lowered, but I'd like to have on-the-fly adjustment (like Talas, U-turn, Dual Position...)

Potentially it could work by taking 120 mm RockShox Bluto and swapping the air spring with RS Dual Position Air or U-turn? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The inability to change travel on the Bluto hasn't been a real issue for me, I prefer having the ability to lock it out frankly.

(Note - I mostly use my fat bike in snow)

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I think you can get the Talas in a 27.5+ that will fit up to a 4" tire, I wouldn't think you'd need that much travel or adjustment when running 5" tires, IE: snow

Looks like I'll need to physically check if Bluto is convertible to some of RockShox's travel adjustment springs.

@SAM313 - thanks, I checked Fox 27.5+ as well, but stock version is only with Float air spring. Possibly Talas 27.5 150 mm cartridge would fit there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Bluto is easily convertible to 80,100,120mm with the appropriate air shaft and tokens. SRAM even provides easy to follow instructions on their site: https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/bluto
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Bluto is easily convertible to 80,100,120mm with the appropriate air shaft and tokens. SRAM even provides easy to follow instructions on their site: https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/bluto
    Hardly on the fly now is it :P

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Hardly on the fly now is it :P
    Easy peasey, just carry a little oil, grease, t-handles, a torque wrench, a bike stand, shock pump, and a few air shafts with you and you are good to go
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

For anyone interested, I had a conversation with Sram and apparently Bluto can't be converted to Dual Position Air due to different upper tube ID. They haven't explicitly confirmed that also Dual Position Coil isn't compatible, but presumably it's not.

The good news is you can convert Fox 34 27.5+ from Float to Talas simply by swapping the air spring side, this is info directly from Fox. Thanks SAM313 for highlighting it, I agree that 4" tire on a fat fully should be plenty.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I'm pretty sure there was an mtbr article about Fox's 2017 fork line up and the 27.5+ talas in both 34mm and 36 mm would be available. I don't see any indication of it on their website yet, but you might call or do a search. Buying a factory fitted one would be easier than upgrading a Float. Good luck with it.