Float / Footprint- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Float / Footprint

So I've been thinking of getting a fat bike for a while now to get out in the snow. I'm confused by the tire options. There seems to be several options,looking at Surly 3.8 or 4.8? I've never ridden a fat bike before. But I've been wondering at what point does the snow become too deep to ride? Does that extra inch really make the difference if it snows say 6" over night? I'm presuming it's just a slog riding through fresh powder?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions
    Fast enough to get there. Slow enough to enjoy the journey. :)

turtles make me hot
    Yeah... Fatbikes don't just float over soft snow. I've ridden my 29er in snow for years and the fatty is better mostly because of increased traction.
    It does however, float incredibly well over sand. Sandy trails, the beach... Awesome riding.
    Snow needs to be groomed once it starts getting deep.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My Pugsley has only 3.8 tires but I was surprised after I got it how poor it is in deep snow - and I'm talking around 4 inches of fresh snow. I was expecting an ATV type experience but much more than 2-3 inches of fresh snow leaves you struggling. I ride my Pugsley a lot but probably wouldn't have spent the money if I had tried before I bought. Probably different now with some of the more reasonably priced fat bikes available recently.
    Depends on what the trails are like where you are. Around here we get a decent snowfall, you just get a decent trail packed down and there is a thaw for a few days and the trail gets all tore up and icy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have about 5 min of fatbike experience (bike on order...again) but I have ridden the same trail as a couple local fatbikers the past 3 winters. There are low points in the trail where they floated and my 29er dug in.

One time where I really was amazed at the difference is a brief low point in the trail that always drifts over from wind. It is the kind of trail feature you pump through and I was very aware it was there. I could clearly see the fat tracks going right over top. I approached, got off the seat, unloaded the front of the bike and it still just dug in and stopped dead almost throwing me. The tracks beside each other tell the story.

In fresh fallen snow where you can see every bird track I can see he has less foot touches than me though he's probably just a better rider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Interesting. So has anybody tried both the 3.8 and a 4.8? Does that extra inch make a big difference in terms of what's rideable?

What are they like if the trail is icy? I'm assuming if your not an experienced rider they are just as slippy as regular size tyres?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrider75 View Post
    Interesting. So has anybody tried both the 3.8 and a 4.8? Does that extra inch make a big difference in terms of what's rideable?

What are they like if the trail is icy? I'm assuming if your not an experienced rider they are just as slippy as regular size tyres?
    1) It makes a noticeable, but I wouldn't say big, difference. Still, ask any routine soft conditions rider: go big or go home. My setup this coming winter is definitely going to be bigger than last winter.

2) You're correct. Studded options are growing, and there is always the route of installing Grip Studs (be advised, spendy in either direction).
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It's looking like I should go big from the off. Loving the look of Surly's ICT and the 2015 Kona Wo with the sliders.

Wonder if we will see 5.8 tyres at all? Providing they can get the complications of the drivetrain sort?

mtbr member
    Deleted.

bigger than you.
    So I've been thinking of getting a fat bike for a while now to get out in the snow. I'm confused by the tire options. There seems to be several options,looking at Surly 3.8 or 4.8? I've never ridden a fat bike before. But I've been wondering at what point does the snow become too deep to ride? Does that extra inch really make the difference if it snows say 6" over night? I'm presuming it's just a slog riding through fresh powder?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions
    Fatbikes are terrible in the snow; don't get one, you'll hate it.

nope. Nobody has tried both. The tires are so rare, hard to get and expensive that you have to pick whatever you can get; only Trekmogul can afford both, but he only rides around in his yard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sarcasm, don't you just love it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sarcasm, don't you just love it!
    You kind of deserve it. There are several threads on basically this topic that were in very easy scrolling distance. If you'd read them before you posted most, if not all of your questions would have been answered. You would have had to go a ways to answer how deep is too deep because there is not an easy answer to that. It depends on the snow and the rider to a huge degree. It isn't just you though, many people just ask whatever pops into their head these days without looking to see if someone has asked before.
    Latitude 61