Flexx Handlebars on Fatbike (Rigid) review- Mtbr.com
    #pedalmasher
    Jul 2017

Flexx Handlebars on Fatbike (Rigid) review

I purchased a set of these from Fasst this past winter (Fasst has been in the Motocross/offroad tuneable flex bar industry for over a decade) after ultimately deciding to stick with a rigid(fun) setup and to try to lessen the abuse and shock off my upper body. After selling my Mastodon Pro I used that money to purchase these bars. Am I crazy!? Maybe but thats debatable.
    Flexx Handlebars on Fatbike (Rigid) review-img_20190123_204742.jpg
    Bottom view (Rebound)
    Flexx Handlebars on Fatbike (Rigid) review-img_20190123_003629.jpg

These bars are super high quality USA made bars. Aluminum center section, carbon handles, titanium hardware, and 3 different hardnesses/softnesses of elastomers (compression/rebound). 800mm wide(cuttable). Common hand tools are used for elastomer changeouts. Weighing in at 475g uncut, on my home scale, they're not a featherweight in your average bar category, they add ~200 grams over a conventional bar, but paired with the light front end, it makes for a super fun nimble climbing monster.
    Flexx Handlebars on Fatbike (Rigid) review-img_20190123_204818.jpg

These bars ARE NOT a suspension replacement, but are a huge benefit in gaining control of your steering by lessening the feedback of smaller hits like rocks and roots that normally get transmitted through your handlebars. I could see these bars really benefiting being paired with suspension if you're riding really big chunky stuff at higher speeds.

Are they "flexy"? No. I had to put the next softer compression elastomer in because they were too stiff from factory. Installing the next softer compression elastomer actually made them feel a tad flexy while standing and putting weight on them, but while riding you don't notice it. These bars took away numb hands, sore shoulders and sore back after a long day in the saddle, which with regular carbon bars I had all the above. They're still plenty stiff for cranking up hills also(I just keep the hardest rebound elastomer in for almost zero upward flex). I've paired them with ESI chunky grips.

I am super happy with these bars thus far and not regretting not having a Bluto or Mastodon on the front. A tuneable quality bar that keeps riding enjoyable as I age!

Oh yeah, as about myself and riding style I'm no pro cyclist but am an experienced cyclist usually holding a 9-11 mph pace on midwest trails(on a fatbike) and normally going for Strava segments, I'm not gonna lie about it But I do like to keep it fun>fast hence being im a dedicated fatbike rider.
    These bars also hold a 30 day money back guarantee. The guys over at Fasst are really helpful and responsive with questions and stuff. Enjoy!
    www.fasstmtb.com

Flexx Handlebars on Fatbike (Rigid) review-img_20190913_003908.jpgFlexx Handlebars on Fatbike (Rigid) review-img_20190905_231512_102.jpg
    Last edited by bmbird4; 09-13-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Added picture

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Nice!
    Reminds me of the Girvin Flex stem from the early 90s.

WNC Native
    Awesome, I've wondered if anyone were trying these. As a huge rigid fan with a previous shoulder injury, I've been interested to hear actual user reviews.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    PRetty cool! Thanks for posting your review!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Iíve got them on my motorcycle and they work as advertised, no arm/ shoulder pain. I canít see a need for them on my fatty as I have suspension and donít want that extra weight but in a rigid bike Iím sure they would be great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Iíve got them on my motorcycle and they work as advertised, no arm/ shoulder pain. I canít see a need for them on my fatty as I have suspension and donít want that extra weight but in a rigid bike Iím sure they would be great.

You don't have suspension on your motorcycle?
    I brake for stinkbugs

#pedalmasher
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    I've also used and currently run their moto bars on past and present dirt bikes of mine, so I knew the technology would work. I was really excited to see them apply it in the mtb world and anxious to try them out. It's usually the case that the mtb industry adopts from the moto world. Dare I say they perform better than their moto bars though.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    You don't have suspension on your motorcycle?
    That be true but the impacts are more frequent and severe.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by bmbird4 View Post
    I've also used and currently run their moto bars on past and present dirt bikes of mine, so I knew the technology would work. I was really excited to see them apply it in the mtb world and anxious to try them out. It's usually the case that the mtb industry adopts from the moto world. Dare I say they perform better than their moto bars though.
    Have you ever used a carbon bar on your mtb and can compare the 2?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

#pedalmasher
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Have you ever used a carbon bar on your mtb and can compare the 2?
    Yes, Ive previously used RF Next & RF SIXC carbon bars.. also some RF & Ritchey aluminum. The carbons were brutally stiff while the cheaper aluminums were a little less harsh. None of them gave any type of similar relief the Flexx bars give, not even close.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by bmbird4 View Post
    Yes, Ive previously used RF Next & RF SIXC carbon bars.. also some RF & Ritchey aluminum. The carbons were brutally stiff while the cheaper aluminums were a little less harsh. None of them gave any type of similar relief the Flexx bars give, not even close.
    Great feedback, thanks!!