since 4/10/2009

First winter storm warning of the season

It's been rather wet in WNC the past week. 3" of rain before today (mostly accumulated over sunday-monday). Next batch of rain has started up, with anticipation of another 1-2" or so. Flood watches went up the other day, along with a winter storm advisory, which switched over to a winter storm warning this morning.

At some point, the rain is forecast to start freezing and/or sleeting with accumulation.

I have a feeling that where that happens is going to be heavily dependent on elevation, and I don't think it'll be cold enough for long enough for any good ice storm riding. Even if that was possible, I highly doubt I'd bother heading to the nearest trails for it.

I missed out on last year's snow riding opportunities because my wheels were being rebuilt, but I'm hoping for some other good snow riding this winter. An early ice storm shows some promise for additional stuff.

aka bOb
    We've had snow for well over a week already

rth009
    May 2010
    As have we here in Missoula and Im not too excited about it as we are not likely to see dirt until late March.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    3-6 by me in NY. I hope the rain doesn’t ruin it! 27F now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    First winter I've been healthy enough to turn the cranks over in five years...... bring it!!!!!

All fat, all the time.
    We got a couple inches but it's melted already except for higher up in the mountain tops. Damn darkness at 4:30 isn't helping anything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    East MI had a bit, just enough for my daughter to make a 6" snow man, then I mowed the leaves up around it lol.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Fuji Wendigo 2.3

beer thief
    We had a couple of storms in October, one of which dumped 16"+ at higher elevations, and picked up 4-6" of wet stuff the other day. It changed to rain then went cold overnight so everything is plastered. I should have Snowdogged some trails but was busy working on my van so I could head south to warmer weather for a week or so. Harold makes that sound not so attractive but we're going anyway!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've seen some reports of freezing rain out that way. Stay safe out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    4-6" expected here, overnight. I can already feel a cough coming on...

Time to start burning off that sick leave!

since 4/10/2009
    Big stinker last night. Nothing froze worth speaking of. I think the colder temps are lagging behind a bit from the rain. Friend in alabama has snow on his truck this morning.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    We got about 3" of slushy, wet heavy crap yesterday. Made commuting a nightmare.
    Probably be mostly gone later today. It's 46 degrees and raining.
    I like turtles

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    We got about 3" of slushy, wet heavy crap yesterday. Made commuting a nightmare.
    Probably be mostly gone later today. It's 46 degrees and raining.
    That makes me glad we did not leave yesterday as planned. Hoping to be in Virginia (or somewhere mid-Atlantic region) in a couple of days and praying for dry dirt.

mtbr member
    LOL, is this still the Fat Bike section?

We've had Snow off&on since Mid-September! (...Alberta Canada)

Trailbike gets put away and Fat Bikes take over the Trails

Loving IT!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    LOL, is this still the Fat Bike section?

We've had Snow off&on since Mid-September! (...Alberta Canada)

Trailbike gets put away and Fat Bikes take over the Trails

Loving IT!
    Let's see - I ride a fatbike and live in the southeast US. Climate is a little different than what you get.

I was correct - the cold temps lagged far enough behind the precip that nothing notable occurred. Things froze last night and there were a teeny bit of flurries (colder temps squeezing the last little dregs of moisture out of the air), but the ground was too warm for icy trail conditions (my deck 15ft in the air froze, though - not fun when taking the dog out for his evening constitutional). It's sunny and beautiful again today, so whatever did actually freeze thawed out fast once the sun came up.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Almost 18" locally.

Rode last night, through ~3", most of it started hammering as we were finishing up.

But the post ride beer in a snow globe thing was pretty awesome!!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Here is Southeast PA we received 4" - 6" yesterday, it was supposed to be a dusting. I got out for a ride today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ottawa, Canada. We've had cold temps and snow off and on since October 27th. Just got 15cm last night and the Gatineau Park has its 40km of parkways compacted for skate and classic skiis already.

The rare early snow allows us to fatbike on MTB trails that are normally closed to bikes on December 1st, and as there is enough coverage the fat bike designated trails that are normally closed until we get enough snow are open too!

Just getting all my wheels and tires setup now. WOOHOOO!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    That makes me glad we did not leave yesterday as planned. Hoping to be in Virginia (or somewhere mid-Atlantic region) in a couple of days and praying for dry dirt.
    MD - Metro DC. We got 2+ inches depending on exactly where you were, but it rained for 1/2 day pre-snow and 1/2 day post-snow. Rain earlier in the week too. It's going to be at least a couple days for things to dry out. Temps have been in upper 30's and projected for upper 40's with dips below freezing at night in the next few days. (freeze thaw cycle) Pray for high winds. Last off-road ride anyone on my Strava made was last Monday mid afternoon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    4 inches of wet snow north of Boston ,MA.
    On top of unfrozen ground....and 2 weeks of near record rain fall.
    Mashed potato town
    Spent 4 hours slogging around trying different tires/wheels.
    The Snowshoe 2XL 5.05s ruled the day

Live Free & Ride
    2-3 inches of wet crusty white stuff in seascoast region here. My son pulled out the fatty around the yard today to try it out w/ Hodags 3.8....looked fun!

Funny, we were just north of here at Franklin Falls shredding dirt and leaves....TheMightyChicken>RustyBucket>SalmonRiver >OldBench>PineSnake>MooseGully...less than a week ago!

They probably have over 6 inches of it now! Temps are due to drop mid week in the teens/20's, so crust and ice conditions will prevail!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First winter storm warning of the season-2018-11-11-13.13.58.jpg  

First winter storm warning of the season-2018-11-17-14.12.12.jpg  

17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

since 4/10/2009
    Round 2 is coming this weekend.

Round 1 was a great big womp-womp, so I'm curious how this one will flesh out.

First winter storm warning of the season-dec_forecast.png

If we do get any accumulation, the window will be pretty small to ride in it, and it looks like it'll be icy underneath, at least to start (though I suspect that the ground temps will start melting it from the bottom, too).

This place needs an enema
    41" on the ground thus far. Pic was taken tonight. It was snowing and blowing and drifting in as I finished up.

We'll probably have another ~80 to 100" in the next month.

But the real stuff doesn't come down til Feb/March.

We usually average 350" for the season. I think it was 2016 we got 465". Feck.

By March most people are sick to death of it.

Enjoying it for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First winter storm warning of the season-img_2920.jpg  

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    41" on the ground thus far...
    We usually average 350" for the season. I think it was 2016 we got 465"...
    DAYAMN!!! I just checked my town average, and it is 47" per year. oof...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    41" on the ground thus far. Pic was taken tonight. It was snowing and blowing and drifting in as I finished up.
    Using the Vee 2XLs? I thought you might be trying out the Johnny 5s. Looking forward to your thoughts on them!

since 4/10/2009
    Too big of a dump, and I'm not going to be able to go very far to take advantage of it. We simply don't have the snow clearing capability here, and my wife's working all weekend, and has the more snow-capable vehicle. She's planning for the possibility of staying (and sleeping) at work from Sat-Mon.

Forecasts are starting to say that this might be a once-in-a-generation dump. Current record here is from 1993, when 18" fell. I have a feeling that they're over-hyping again and that a swing of a degree or two warmer than forecast will mean it all falls as rain.

First winter storm warning of the season-dec2018snow.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Using the Vee 2XLs? I thought you might be trying out the Johnny 5s. Looking forward to your thoughts on them!

Alternating 2XL and J5 every other ride right now.

mtbr member
    Alternating 2XL and J5 every other ride right now.
    So what are your thoughts on the J5? I have one, but my new frame isn't here yet and my current frame is a no-go.

My plan is to pair a bud on the front with the J5 on the rear - on 80mm rims.

Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    So what are your thoughts on the J5? I have one, but my new frame isn't here yet and my current frame is a no-go.

My plan is to pair a bud on the front with the J5 on the rear - on 80mm rims.

Going to ride it more before opining.

mtbr member
    Understood! I'm looking forward to your impressions. It appears we ride similar "back country" style trails - though it sounds like your snow is much dryer compared what to what we have in Quebec.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hoping we get something out of this one as well. We're currently on the 6" line at the northern edge.
    Harold, be glad you didn't get the ice from the one a few weeks ago. It completely wrecked every trail above about 900 ft. Trees down every 50 ft & over 100 miles of the BRP closed. Quite a mess.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    Hoping we get something out of this one as well. We're currently on the 6" line at the northern edge.
    Harold, be glad you didn't get the ice from the one a few weeks ago. It completely wrecked every trail above about 900 ft. Trees down every 50 ft & over 100 miles of the BRP closed. Quite a mess.
    Yeah, I'm definitely not upset about missing out on an ice storm. Blech.

I'm hoping that this one doesn't bury a layer of ice underneath a foot or more of snow.

I've got enough firewood put up to keep my house tolerably warm if there's an extended power outage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    So Harold, how did you guys come out of the snow? We went from a forecast of 3-6" to forecast 0-1" back to forecast 3-6" and ended up with 8-14" over about 20 miles north to south.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    So Harold, how did you guys come out of the snow? We went from a forecast of 3-6" to forecast 0-1" back to forecast 3-6" and ended up with 8-14" over about 20 miles north to south.
    I don't have exact numbers, but looks like 15-20" of wet, heavy slop in the neighborhood, and as little as 6" in other areas nearby. It was above freezing most of the time the snow was falling.

Lost power for 20hrs or so. Couldn't get out of the neighborhood for another day after that in my little car (but 4wd could do it).

It's in melt phase now. Still a lot on the ground, but it's slushy and the ground is muddy.

Worst part is that the heavy snow brought down a ton of trees. Most trailheads are still inaccessible, and conditions of the trails are unknown.

All I was able to do was a neighborhood spin, and it was just too much snow to have much fun with it.

since 4/10/2009
    Various pics.