First ride report, my first real fat bike, Motobecane Boris x9 Bluto- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

First ride report, my first real fat bike, Motobecane Boris x9 Bluto

The bike arrived in good condition. Assembly went well and only a small adjustment needed for the front derailleur. No problems. Happy happy, joy joy.

I have a fifty pound Wallbeast singlespeed coaster brake fatbike. This one is NOTHING like it. The first thing I noticed was the nimbleness and balance and light weight of it while turning short radius turns in my driveway. It felt precise, with a light feeling front end.

So I headed down the rather rough gravel road to the woods. I now noticed how it just rolled right over the little rocks. Far less jarring than on my 26 inch hardtail.

Onto the single track now and I like how she handled it. Much more nimble than I expected, but not nervous like my short 26'r.

Down the steep woods trail to the beach, the brakes were far better than the old rim calipers on my 26. No problem staying in control, the tires held well. At the bottom tight turns with the big roots I kept rolling and going. On the 26 those roots had made me get off.

Out on the beach now I headed into the gentle wind. The bike felt great. Stiff, light and comfortable. My hands felt good resting in the middle of the bars, the bike tracked great. Very balanced and comfortable. A more upright position than both my road and mtb which is what I was hoping for.

Turning back, with the breeze now, I started really cranking. I was amazed how well the tires were floating on the firmish low tide sand. The speed surprised me and made me pump even harder.

This steady-state riding reminded more of road riding than mountain biking. This is nice, I have two kinds of bikes in one.

Coming up from the beach was a decent short hill that I powered up with no problem, which made me smile.

So, in a nutshell, I am a very happy guy and very glad I took the leap. I am really going to like this bike. I do already.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The glacier delivered this boulder to the north shore of Long Island NY so I could lean my bike against something.

First ride report, my first real fat bike, Motobecane Boris x9 Bluto-bike-rock.jpg

The sand held me on top of the earth's crust while I flew across it.

First ride report, my first real fat bike, Motobecane Boris x9 Bluto-sand-track.jpg

For a few days I had been obsessing on something stupid I said to someone and was down on myself. I often say stupid things. Toward the end of the ride I saw this mylar balloon floating in the wind. Mylar balloon litter is a pet peeve of mine and I have been known to climb trees to retrieve them.

Well this balloon that had been free floating ended up nestling in the shrubs like this, and I saw what it was.

First ride report, my first real fat bike, Motobecane Boris x9 Bluto-smile.jpg

I had to smile. Something was trying to tell me something?

I left the balloon where it was.