First ride on my pugsley...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First ride on my pugsley...

Also the first snow of the year. Got the pugs home last night, but too late to get out and ride, so I spent a few minutes going over it, making sure everything was adjusted properly and removing all the reflectors.

Woke up this morning to my 4 year old daughter diving on me yelling "DADDY IT SNOWED LAST NIGHT!"

Once I was fully awake, I was pretty excited about this, too.

Rode the pugs around the yard once or twice, let some air out of the tires.

Later in the day I took the pugs to the Quarry ridge trails, which would be the closest trails to my house and a good set of trails to benchmark a bike- a very compact mix of flats, woods, rocky and sandy climbs and twisties.

Got my bike out of the car, let some more air out of the tires. Willy bikes was just wrapping up their snow bike demo day, so there were endomorph tracks everywhere.

hopped on, rode the trails. I was impressed by the fact that those big tires don't drag. first little climb, got some slippage on the rear wheel. handled the twisties nicely. second climb, more slip, had to walk it. Third climb, more @#$%ing slip. got to the top of the trails, let a lot of air out of the tires.

Descended like a champ. Made it feel easy.

Second lap, no slippage on the first climb, none on the second, none on the third but I picked a bad line and fell over. Again, descended like a pro. With the tires at a more proper inflation the pugs had grip for miles. I was impressed by the very predictable and slow motion washouts- losing traction on an off-camber downhill turn was very easy to correct every time. And this trail is full of off-camber right-angle turns.

Third lap, best of all, finally got the hang of climbing on the pugs. I've been riding rigid MTBs for years and I've gotten used to very carefully picking my line. You can do that with a 1.95" tire. Not so much with 4" of rubber. Once I started treating climbs on the pugs the way I treated climbs on a full-suspension bike, things went better- low pressure plus giant tires= no deflection at all and no getting stopped on a small rock- just plow over it. Climbs were easy after that.

Also realized a serious bonus in winter MTBing- no overheating. I'm a big guy and I'm primarily a roadie- higher speeds= staying cooler and more comfortable. It was nice finally riding slow at a temp where overheating was the least of my problems.

All in all, it was the best time I've had on a mountain bike in years. Looking forward to more rides. Not sure twisty, rocky single track is gonna be a good idea in heavy snow, but we've got all sorts of trails to hit and I can say that I'm ready.

movement
    Oct 2011
    Congrats! I just got mine last week as well.

Did you go Snowblind or Necro?

Unfortunately, I have only been able to have about a hour in the saddle with working retail this time of year. Have loved it so far.

But wouldn't you know it, this time last year we had at least 20" of snow here in Minneapolis. Last Friday not only did it rain enough to wash what snow we did have away but that rain would have equaled at least a foot of snow!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhands View Post
    Congrats! I just got mine last week as well.

Did you go Snowblind or Necro?

Unfortunately, I have only been able to have about a hour in the saddle with working retail this time of year. Have loved it so far.

But wouldn't you know it, this time last year we had at least 20" of snow here in Minneapolis. Last Friday not only did it rain enough to wash what snow we did have away but that rain would have equaled at least a foot of snow!
    Snowblind- I figured save the money as I have no idea what to expect anyway...

Yup- upper midwest is in a snow drought- Last year, same thing, by this time we already had a foot or two of snow on the ground and the lakes had been frozen over for a while. the inch and a half/ two inches we got this morning is all we've seen so far this year.

I'm beginning to think the CX nationals are actually gonna be snow free!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    @buckfiddious "I'm beginning to think the CX nationals are actually gonna be snow free!"

Hey, that's heresy. There will be snow!

Envious of your ride, I've had my Muk2 for a month now and have only ridden it once. I'm nursing a bevy of broken ribs (work injury), hurts as much to look at the bike just sitting there as it does to breathe at times!