mtbr member
    Jul 2011

First Fat Bike Tire?

I bought a Surly Wednesday frame to build mainly as a 29er neighborhood bike and 29+ trail bike as a backup to my full suspension. I figured I would get a fat bike frame because why not, Ive never had or ridden one. My plan was to first build the 29 wheels with i35 rims and then eventually build a 26 fat wheelset. I did build the 29 wheels and the bike is almost done. Well my son really wants to ride it as a fat bike in the snow this winter (assuming we get any here in DC) and I got a deal on a My Other Brother Daryl wheelset. What tires should I buy? I was looking at the Surly Edna but maybe I should go full wide 4.8 for this bike? Jumbo Jim? In fat format, we plan to use it in the snow when we get any, for trail riding in mucky conditions to normal, and also Id like to ride it on the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I would recommend the Surly Edna or a similar tire for your riding. If you are not going to be riding in a lot of snow or deep snow the 4.8" tires might be more than you need plus they might be too tight on the Wednesday frame. Jumbo Jims are a great tire as long as the conditions do not get too muddy or loose. The Edna would probably perform better in your type of trails plus give you a decent amount of float and traction for your riding.

Other tires to maybe check out are Maxxis Minnions FBF and FBR and also 45 North and Bontranger brands. They all offer good choices with some large knobs for muddy and snowy conditions.

mtbr member
    Edna, Hodag and Vanhelga are 3 tires I would consider for all around use.

turtles make me hot
    Bud as a front tire, Jumbo Jim on the rear.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Come out to the Global Fatbike Day ride at Wakefield and see what everyone else in the area runs.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/565155700591181/

All purpose 4 season tires, I do Nates or Hodags. I, as well as many here, have additional tires for the various fringes from snow to sand. For snow in our area generally you want big treads that work across a variety of conditions. Because we get a variety of snow and temps that last for a blink of an eye. For sand you typically want low to no tread, keep rolling resistance down while not picking up loose sand and throwing it on the chain.

Edna seems pretty good too as a general purpose. Jumbo Jim might be a little lacking depending on how aggressive you want to ride snow, otherwise good.

Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Nov 2015
    I did Jumbo Jim 4.0 front and rear on my Voytek. They've gripped well enough in the first round of snow, but I can see them running out of traction and float once the snow piles up.

All fat, all the time.
    I thought this was going to be a thread about the endomorph...

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I thought this was going to be a thread about the endomorph...
    I did too. Funny.
    I like turtles