First Fat Bike -- recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

New question here. First Fat Bike -- recommendations?

Hey everyone,

So I've been riding on the road for about 10+ years and love it.
    Speed isn't everything but it is something. However I just had a little girl and thinking of riding her off to day care and to use the fat bike as a replacement commuter as well as recreational rider for myself solo and with her in an upfront baby seat.

I'm 6'5" in height, thinking an XL is probably my best bet.

Is anyone familiar with Rocky Mountain Cycles?
    I'm looking at the 2016 Blizzard -30. Is this a good intro to Fat Bikes?

4 seasons is a must.

Blizzard | Rocky Mountain Bicycles

My budget is around $2000 CAD.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks!! About 3 KM away on paved. A couple of hills, nothing too steep for a 48x16 single speed, but I have heard a fat bike is a different beast and so I am unsure of how difficult they might be. Daughter will be a year old, she is 5 months now. Just a weee thing but loves looking at my road bike on the wall and when I spin the rims for her.

I ride with gatorskins in the ice/snow but those are 23mm so I am assuming a 4.8" tire is going to grip like nobodies business?
    Last edited by dtomilson; 09-19-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: adding more detail

Nor­wegr
    Depends on the tire and thread, with a child on board I'd definitely get studded tires and if there isn't any deep snow to think about 4.0s will be fine.

Look into Salsa and Surly bikes aswell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Depends on the tire and thread, with a child on board I'd definitely get studded tires and if there isn't any deep snow to think about 4.0s will be fine.

Look into Salsa and Surly bikes aswell.
    I have been looking at both for sure, thanks!
    Is there a lot of float when riding a fat bike?

My fear of using studded tires is that I will have to switch tires/rims more often than I think I will. Is there a good tire that can grip ice without studs? Surly Bud and Lou by chance?

Nor­wegr
    Personally wouldn't risk it with with another person on board, my neighbour broke his hip because he thought his studless tires were safe on ice.

Fatbike tires tend to fit loose, so changing them out is pretty quick compared to regular mtb tires.

I just ride for fun on snow days so I don't see the need for studs, but for commuting I sure would want to have them.

Here's an old picture of a bike I had with 4.0s, plenty of float, but wider would do better. About 4" deep judging from the tire sitting in the snow.
    First Fat Bike -- recommendations?-sam_4745_zpsba92b734.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dtomilson View Post
    Hey everyone,

Speed isn't everything but it is something. However I just had a little girl and thinking of riding her off to day care and to use the fat bike as a replacement commuter as well as recreational rider for myself solo and with her in an upfront baby seat.

4 seasons is a must.

Thanks!
    Welcome.

An associate has that bike and it seems very nice. It has longer chain stays than I like for summer but if I recall it also has a more slack head angle than many which is something I like.

My advice is try lots of stuff and make sure the setup is right. Try higher pressure for pavement if you'll commute and lower pressure in the tires for dirt. You don't want self-steer to give a negative impression.

If you're in Canada I supposed you should have Rocky Mountain loyalty, but my wife and I sure liked all versions of Trek Farleys as far as being both good fat bikes, being playful in summer, and generation 2 handling the wider tires.

The new Rocky Mountain Suzi Q and some Treks have 27.5 rims that I LOVE but the price might be above your budget. We picked up a remaining 2016 model 9.6 that might be closer. Be sure to see if the new Suzi Q can take wider tires - really neat bike regardless. The 27.5 wheel models I love seem to be plastic frames and might not have rack options for your daughter.

Surly models might be good as a commuter replacement but renting those against Farleys we always liked riding the Farleys more. That's coming from a steel frame lover.

Have fun shopping!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've got a Surly Wednesday that I really enjoy. Use it, and my ECR, to pull a Weehoo trailer when I'm taking my older daughter riding.

When she was younger I used a Bullitt with a carseat bolted in. Still using it for my younger daughter. Started them both riding at 3 months. May not fit to have two bikes but if you can swing it check out Bullitt cargo bikes. Long low and stable but still relatively quick. Mine has 2 inch tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aelf View Post
    My daughter is going on 2 yo and has been in a Thule cadence rear trailer since 7 months. The commute to daycare is 5.5 miles each way then my bike commute to work is 40 miles round trip with 16 miles of that being dirt and I do all of that riding with her in a trailer and to work on Kona Jake the snake with 700x28 Maxxis re-fuse road tires. I highly recommend the trailer as it's a safe roll cage for her and if I wipe out, the trailer stays upright guaranteed.
    Wow, that is quite the workout. What kind of setting do you have? One of my concerns is I live in downtown Toronto where we have 10000 cars playing Pokemon Go in the morning. Not really but there are a lot of bad drivers and cyclists for that matter. I'm going to be using large platform pedals (Race Face Atlas) so that should help in the winter I would imagine, when I am wearing large boots?
    I've heard of trailers getting banged around down here and that would upset me a lot if anything were to happen to her. I haven't fallen in 5 years on my singlespeed, I should expect a sturdier ride on one of these than a single speed with 23mm tires on a steel frame and caliper brakes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Once we move out of the city, I will have a garage and then there wil be room for more than 4 bikes! Space is an issue for us at the moment, this is replacing a single speed bike which I currently use for commuting. I imagine it must be more stable than that? I was looking at the Wednesday and it is something I am going to be looking for at the big sale in October, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    I've got a Surly Wednesday that I really enjoy. Use it, and my ECR, to pull a Weehoo trailer when I'm taking my older daughter riding.

When she was younger I used a Bullitt with a carseat bolted in. Still using it for my younger daughter. Started them both riding at 3 months. May not fit to have two bikes but if you can swing it check out Bullitt cargo bikes. Long low and stable but still relatively quick. Mine has 2 inch tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Welcome.

An associate has that bike and it seems very nice. It has longer chain stays than I like for summer but if I recall it also has a more slack head angle than many which is something I like.

My advice is try lots of stuff and make sure the setup is right. Try higher pressure for pavement if you'll commute and lower pressure in the tires for dirt. You don't want self-steer to give a negative impression.

If you're in Canada I supposed you should have Rocky Mountain loyalty, but my wife and I sure liked all versions of Trek Farleys as far as being both good fat bikes, being playful in summer, and generation 2 handling the wider tires.

The new Rocky Mountain Suzi Q and some Treks have 27.5 rims that I LOVE but the price might be above your budget. We picked up a remaining 2016 model 9.6 that might be closer. Be sure to see if the new Suzi Q can take wider tires - really neat bike regardless. The 27.5 wheel models I love seem to be plastic frames and might not have rack options for your daughter.

Surly models might be good as a commuter replacement but renting those against Farleys we always liked riding the Farleys more. That's coming from a steel frame lover.

Have fun shopping!
    You got me there, a local shop is willing to sale the 2016 model for a little cheaper now that the 2017s are out. I really like the Suzi Q but it is outside my budget unfortunately.

Living in the city we usually have the streets cleared pretty quickly, however there are street car tracks and lots of potholes.

I hadn't even considered Rocky Mountain until the LBS suggested it and looking at the parts, it didn't look too bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Welcome.

Have fun shopping!
    Trek Farley 5 is on the list!

mtbr member
    Hey everyone,

4 seasons is a must.

Thanks!
    If you are in Toronto, i have the deal of the century for you.

2015 Kona Wo, size XL. (seeing how you are 6"5'

From Sweet Pete's, for less than half price:

Kona Wo - Sweet Pete's Bike Shop Toronto

I have bought several bikes from them, including my Farley.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    If you are in Toronto, i have the deal of the century for you.

2015 Kona Wo, size XL. (seeing how you are 6"5'

From Sweet Pete's, for less than half price:

Kona Wo - Sweet Pete's Bike Shop Toronto

I have bought several bikes from them, including my Farley.
    Yes, I live in downtown Toronto. Liberty Village to be precise and work in the core.

Hey, totally familiar with their store, however I haven't purchase a system from then yet, thanks! That is a great offer but probably not for me. Yes, XL for sure.

I was looking at their Wo lineup but I am interested in hydraulic brakes, internal routing and the possibility of running 27" wheels, this has me sort of leaning towards the Trek or waiting for the new Salsa line to come in.

The Fall bike sale also has me wondering what is going to turn up there... $2000 cash might buy me something slick.

mtbr member
    Yes, I live in downtown Toronto. Liberty Village to be precise and work in the core.

Hey, totally familiar with their store, however I haven't purchase a system from then yet, thanks! That is a great offer but probably not for me. Yes, XL for sure.

I was looking at their Wo lineup but I am interested in hydraulic brakes, internal routing and the possibility of running 27" wheels, this has me sort of leaning towards the Trek or waiting for the new Salsa line to come in.

The Fall bike sale also has me wondering what is going to turn up there... $2000 cash might buy me something slick.
    you could do all that (minus the internal routing) with the $1100 you are saving.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    you could do all that (minus the internal routing) with the $1100 you are saving.
    I finally had a chance to demo a fat bike, and I have decided to wait on purchasing one for the time being.

I have instead purchased a 2016 Norco Revolver 7.3 HT.

This should be sturdy and fun for the time being. The kiddo won't notice the difference.