first 15 mile trail ride and have a leak in my Q light 2.7 tubes in my fatboy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

first 15 mile trail ride and have a leak in my Q light 2.7 tubes in my fatboy

Bummer, after reading all the people having success with the fatboy running a light tube on it I have a leak in it. Another thing that I noticed is that my stock rim leaks from a weld seam....what the heck.

mtbr member
    People still run tubes?

banned
    Sep 2008
    did you make sure to put a front tube in the front wheel and a back tube in the back wheel?

makes a huge difference to be sure.

rog

Elitest thrill junkie
    I had one go flat just sitting in my living room the day after installing it. Still not sure what went wrong. Installed a new one, worked for that summer. That winter. This summer (well, sat in my wash room for 4 months). Aired it up with 4.7s just a few days ago, holding air fine.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Sep 2008
    q-lites are quite thin. blow em up to take up room with a 4+ inch tire and they get even thinner. if yer rim strips aren't perfect and the edges are uneven/protruding, or kinda sharp, the q-lite can get rubbed the wrong way just nuff to fail.

the regular 2.4-2.7 q-tubes are thicker, .9 vs .73 for the q-lite and only about 25 grams heavier, and hold up much better.

that said, i wouldn't use a q-lite in a tire/rim combo that was bigger than a 4" x 80mm.

rog

aka bOb
    I like the Bontrager 26x2.8 or something like that. Maybe a few grams heavier but a good solid tube.

Edit: I've run em in Lou with no problems but be careful they are directional.

banned
    Sep 2008
    ya i heard those are good.

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've had a tear near the valve happen when riding with too little pressure - caused the tire to shift on the rim pulling on the valve. I've had no luck patching q-lites too (now several blown tubes), though i've never waited more than few mins for the patch and glue to set. The patches don't stretch like the tube at all and definitely give it a very pronounced divot where ever it is on the tube.

banned
    Sep 2008
    i've had thorn punctures with the q-tubes (non lites) and they held a patch perfectly well. i agree on the q-lite/patch deal. not so successful.......

rog

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I like the Bontrager 26x2.8 or something like that. Maybe a few grams heavier but a good solid tube.

Edit: I've run em in Lou with no problems but be careful they are directional.
    out of curiosity have you weighed yours?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    out of curiosity have you weighed yours?
    I have one downstairs I'll weigh it in the morning.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by maddslacker View Post
    People still run tubes?
    the big kids do so that leaves you out.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I have one downstairs I'll weigh it in the morning.
    it's morning................pics or it didn't happen.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: first 15 mile trail ride and have a leak in my Q light 2.7 tubes in my fatboy

I'm the only person on earth that likes Surly toobs, apparently.

mtbr member
    Nope, you're not alone
    I'm actually starting to use their lites
    It's all about the firecuts

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by maddslacker View Post
    People still run tubes?
    It's hard to believe. It's even harder to believe that some on here are stubborn enough to fight for their use even with all of the factory tubeless options.

The "big boys" comment in a previous post must be talking about those who are overweight. I can't speak for obese riders, maybe they do like the stiffer ride of tubes, the extra breaks from riding to fix flats, and the added wheel weight to make them feel like they are working harder.

nvphatty
    ^^^haha factory tubeless options. sorry to keep informing you but no added weight. next time just quote me instead of being cryptic, its ok stand up and be oone of the big boys.
    besides this thread is about TOOBS not toobless ghetto junk.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Even yo gramma's wheelbarrow is tubeless.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    It seems the mountain bike tubes, though lighter, are not the optimal solution in my limited experience. After a few flats I tried sealant in them which was unsuccessful as well as patching. When inflated enough to fill a fat bike tire the tube is put under a lot of tension and stretched very thin which I believe is the main problem. I feel like this high tension also compromises ride quality as well to some extent. Hed big deal in the rear is my first (successful) experience with tubeless and it is awesome. Easy, painless, and problem free so far. Can't use the HED up front with the lefty though. I'm a little bummed about that. Using a Surly light tube up front currently which is working well and will probably switch to ghetto tubeless up front before winter.

mtbr member
    I've had around 6 flats on my fatboy. Both stock specialized tubes and Surly tubes. I also ran sealant in some of them. Running tubeless now and no more flats.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    I'm the only person on earth that likes Surly toobs, apparently.
    A quick search of the interwebz confirms your thoughts...all the tubes belongs to you.

For serious people, going tubeless does take a little time initally, but hot dog....no flats = happy fatty owner.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I've had around 6 flats on my fatboy. Both stock specialized tubes and Surly tubes. I also ran sealant in some of them. Running tubeless now and no more flats.
    how did you get your fatboy tubeless? I have tried tubeless with my fatboy with tyvek tape and it didnt work to well

mtbr member
    how did you get your fatboy tubeless? I have tried tubeless with my fatboy with tyvek tape and it didnt work to well
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/sun...l#post11332013

Loser
    Split tube. The rims are great for tubeless with a good ridge to keep the tire bead up there. There's a thread on Fatboy Tubeless (misspelled as tubless) here on MTBR.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    so 6 oz of stans is 135 grams...