mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Cool-blue Rhythm Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a fat bike

I've been lurking and researching fat bikes for about 2 months. I went to a LBS that a friend recommended and they were great. I ended up pulling the trigger and ordering a new Specialized fat boy pro trail. Not crazy about the color but it had more than what I was looking for and the out the door price was right within my budget. I now anxiously await its arrival. They said it should be here by Tuesday, but might come Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Congrats!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a fat bike-image.jpg
    My ordered one is also 2016 that was on sale.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Nice.

When the BB starts to creak heaps bad look at getting one of these or something similar PF30 Fat Bike Angular Contact BB (Black)

When the Freehub dies try and get them to build a better one into your wheel under warranty.

Its a nice bike to ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    OP, you WILL love this bike.

Bought mine last December. It's become the only bike I ride anymore anywhere - 35 miles plus at a pop - ton of mileage on it total so far - im fact just replaced the cassette. Awesome fun yearround.

Things I've discovered FWIW.

The Ground Controls grip superwell on everything but snow. Surprisingly little wear/zero flats despite high mileage on varied surfaces including lots of rough Pennsylvania trail. I'm getting 100 mm Clownshoe rims and studded up Bud and Lous for this winter though.

Shorter stem/bars with way more rise. Stock setup NOT comfortable.

Bluto fork performing as expected. Worth the extra $ based on friends' experiences with rigid fatbikes.

Climbs like a goat. Honestly didn't expect that coming off my last bike, a Giant Reign.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Congratulations!
    I was going to start a thread like this too... I ordered a Trek Farley on Friday. Should be in my garage by Tuesday or Wednesday.

First fatty. Anything special I need to know?
    I'm sure my face will hurt from smiling while riding. LOL!

I keep reading that people sell everything else after getting a fat bike. I'm actually hoping this is the case, at least for non drop bar two wheelers.

-5th

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I dunno about selling everything else...but one thing I recommend to some folks is to consider building up some skinnier wheels. When I had a pugsley I built up a set of standard width mtn bike wheels and that allowed me to take my fat bike on a trip and change out wheels to mtn bike wheels when I wanted. I sold that and got a premium price with the other set of wheels. Now I have a Fatback Corvus and I'm building up a set of 29mm internal width wheels for some 2.4" tires and I'll be able to use that bike as a mountain bike as well. I have a regular mtn bike but my corvus, being carbon, will be nice for long mountain climbs and downhills with the 2.4 tires. A second set of wheels is a real treat and can make travelling with the fatbike a hoot. Just be prepared to adjust brake pads if you don't get the shimming of the wheels absolutely perfect...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I like that green color!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    That color is sick!!

Congrats!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great! Hope you enjoy it! Lots of fun! Get a second set of wheels id=f you can and have a 'semi' road/gravel set and a true off road set.... Just my two cents... I find trail tires are overkill for 'easy' riding when you don't need all that traction....

Then there's the tubeless options.... Oh the places you'll go! :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am thinking the Farley will be great with the stock 27.5 x 4.5 wheel/tire. And if it's fun enough that i could let my full squish 29er go, I'll build a 29+ wheelset. 29x3 sounds like fun