Feedback on wheelset- Mtbr.com
    jvc
    Rideold
    Dec 2018

Feedback on wheelset

Building up my first fat bike and looking for some feed back on wheel-set. This is what I am thinking:
    HED BAD 80 mm (27.5)
    Hope Pro Fatso
    Sapim Race
    Bontrager barbegazi (4.5)
    Any feedback on the rim and hub would be appreciated.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    There are some experienced wheel builders here for sure. They are going to want to know your weight, intended use and riding style.

From what I have read here the HED rims sacrifice strength for light weight. Just something to consider if you are bigger and/or ride bid drops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Make sure the rims you select have a good bead lock on them to prevent the tire from losing seal at low pressure when set up tubeless.

I have had great success with Mulefut and Blizzerk 80's on our fat bikes, tires stay on the rims at 2 PSI or less.

See https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/tu...e-1067215.html
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

jvc
    Rideold
    Dec 2018
    Thanks for the reply(s). 180lbs. Use will be fairly tame cross country, snow and mud. Nothing knarly and minimal vertical drops.

mtbr member
    While they market them for snow, everything I have read is that Barbegazis are better suited for dirt. I expect you will quickly find that you will want a winter set of tires that are studded and a summer set.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    While they market them for snow, everything I have read is that Barbegazi's are better suited for dirt. I expect you will quickly find that you will want a winter set of tires that are studded and a summer set.
    I can confirm from experience that Barbegazis are not well suited for unpacked snow. Trails are not groomed near me, so I canít vouch for their performance there.

They do ok up to a few inches, but are quickly overmatched after that.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post
    I can confirm from experience that Barbegazis are not well suited for unpacked snow. Trails are not groomed near me, so I canít vouch for their performance there.

They do ok up to a few inches, but are quickly overmatched after that.

Completely agreed.

On groomed hardpack though, they are rockets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The lightest weight aluminum rim on the planet seems like it would have to sacrifice some durability. There are several carbon rims of equal or even greater weight that should be more durable and not that expensive.
    Latitude 61

rth009
    May 2010
    I would steer clear of the Hope Hubs. I have 2 sets of the Hope Pro 2 evo fatsno and the bearings dont last for sh$t. They are light, reasonably priced, the engagement is good, and I like the noise as a bear/cat/hiker deterrent, but the bearings require frequent replacement. Just my $.02. Also, maybe the current pro 4 evo has fixed this.

A pal just got the Nextie Xiphias 85 rims and they are pretty sweet.

EDIT - I see now you are wanting 27.5 rims and I Nextie may not have Xiphias in 27.5
    Last edited by rth009; 12-20-2018 at 01:07 PM.

jvc
    Rideold
    Dec 2018
    Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful

jvc
    Rideold
    Dec 2018
    Great to know seeing as most riding will be ungroomed snow!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Had two HED rims fail riding tame xc terrain. HED pretty much gave me the finger on a warranty claim so know that they are expensive fragile rims that aren't backed up by the company.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jvc
    Rideold
    Dec 2018
    Thanks for the heads up trumphair. Sounds like tame XC is not a safe heaven for these rims. Iím glad I reached out on the forum. Lots of great insight and advice.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Have a back up set of bearing for your Hope rear hub.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

jvc
    Rideold
    Dec 2018
    I think I now know which rims, hubs and tires not to go with....need advice on a build.
    Price point for a wheelset is around 1,800.00 would be nice if that included rubber but not a deal breaker.

RockyJo1 - thoughts on onyx or I9 ?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    The lightest weight aluminum rim on the planet seems like it would have to sacrifice some durability. There are several carbon rims of equal or even greater weight that should be more durable and not that expensive.
    I've watched them fail on a ride. You either have heavier aluminum rims that are decently strong, but reliable and a bit heavier, or carbon rims which are lighter and stronger. The super lightweight aluminum thing just makes no sense to me, a significant amount of lateral wheel stiffness comes from the rim and swiss-cheesing it to this extent just doesn't make sense to me.

Get some nexties or light bicycle. You can build a great fat wheelset for around $1100 with both. Even if they weight the same, the carbon one will be way way stronger and stiffer and the tubeless channel works much better IME.

Hope hubs are good, easy to change the bearings. DT hubs are better will run longer without having to change the bearings, but there is one bearing on that where you can't easily change it and it's notorious for stripping out the necessary proprietary tool. See the wheel forum for an explanation. I run both hubs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy DT 350s, but it's worth knowing about. The engagement mechanism is far superior in terms of being able to handle torque.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I'm going to run 2 different dedicated wheel/tire sets for Winter/Summer on my Farley 7.

Currently on 27.5x4.5 Gnarwhals (Studded and still with tubes) on 80mm MuleFut wheels for Winter.
    Awesome traction in Snow, Great on Ice since I studded them, but noticeable rolling resistance on hardpack.

I picked up a second set of Gnars I was initially planning to use in Summer, (w/o studs)
    but had a change of heart after a few rides and grabbed a lighter pair of Barbegazi's.
    (I couldn't resist a 20% off sale at the LBS)

I'm still wheel shopping for my Summer set and currently leaning to Lightbicycle Carbon 650B 75mm
    for a fast rolling lightweight set (to run Tubeless) with the Barbs for next Summer, likely with DT Swiss Spokes and 350Hub.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/75mm-wi...ompatible.html

Feedback on wheelset-toomanytires.jpg

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by jvc View Post
    thoughts on onyx or I9 ?

Is a *lot* of noise when coasting preferred, or do you like silence?

Your answer to that will answer the question you asked.

mtbr member
    Give the fatback big su's a look. They're a decent width, tubeless is pretty easy and secure. They are quite light for having a double wall section by the beads. I have dented the front twice while running a minion 4.8 and the rear once with a van helga and they haven't leaked any air fwiw. Definitely a better option for trail usage in my experience compared to your original rim choice.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by jvc View Post
    I think I now know which rims, hubs and tires not to go with....need advice on a build.
    Price point for a wheelset is around 1,800.00 would be nice if that included rubber but not a deal breaker.

RockyJo1 - thoughts on onyx or I9 ?
    Hope makes a good hub for the price I had to rebuild my free hub 3 times in 3 years. I believe they had a bad run of bad bearing. Look at Nextie for a wheel set or rim.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I've I9 hubs on my fat bike as that's what the previous owner had gone for. No complaints about them in the two years and 1600km (1000 miles) I've done on them, no idea how much or what the previous owner had done. I had to have the front hub bearings replaced when one side collapsed but nothing else.

Not sure what folk are doing to Hope* hubs to trash them so quick - I have them on my hard tail (14,000km) and FS bikes (2500km) and have yet to have any problems or even replace any bearings and I ride in all weathers and conditions including rivers above hub depth on occasion. They do honour their warranty but I appreciate that's often not practical for those of you Stateside, in the same way that warranty returns for I9 are a little awkward over here.

* I should say that I live about 15mins drive from the Hope factory but I've no connection with them other than as a customer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I switched from Hope Fatsno (first gen, EVO 2 design) after destroying several freehub bodies (alloy and SS) and lots of bearings. Eventually cracked the drive ring and the whole thing became a fixed gear. Replaced it with an Onyx and now have two wheelsets with Onyx rear hub (26 with 150 & 177 hubs, 27.5+ with the same hubs). Highly recommended and the silence from the rear is nice too.

I'm over 200lbs and use my bike year round

Human Test Subject
    Onyx are super expensive but so nice that you'll forget all that and buy more. It's hard to go back.

I still broke one but they sent out a new hub shell pretty quickly. Good customer service from my fellow Minnesotans.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Onyx are super expensive but so nice that you'll forget all that and buy more. It's hard to go back.
    1000% agree... I had bought already 4 pairs of them, and could not stop!