Fear of a big frame?- Mtbr.com
    ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Fear of a big frame?

It's interesting to read the common wisdom on the forum. Many people seem to subscribe to the "size down" with a snow/fat bike. But many manufacturers try to design more s.o. into these frames as well. But it seems that nobody buys an XL unless they are 6'5"+.

I've tried a few of the fat bikes, and I love 'em. I'm buying one soon--probably an XL mukluk with shorter stem--but maybe a large. The large feels a little small for me--I'd be on a 400mm seat post, possibly swept back. My 36" PBH with short torso makes it tricky. Just my thoughts.

Your results may vary.

100+ wheel-build club
    I'm 6'3" and have an XL/22" Pugsley-fits great. My Tomac Flint niner is an XL. My road bike is a 61cm/XL. My Surly Big Dummy is an XL/22". I wear a 34" inseam pant. Stand over is nice but effective top tube length is probably more important. If you get too small a frame you're going to always feel bunched up even with a long stem and seat post with lots of set back. Measure the top tube/effective top tube of your existing bike(s). A TEST RIDE of a large and x-large should tell you right away which one is better for you. Good luck!
    "Go that way REAL FAST, if something gets in your way... turn".

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I've spent my life crammed onto XL bikes that were anything but. I liken it to putting a bowling ball on a golf tee. That's what I feel like on a 6'r. My current Niner RIP9 XL is the first bike that has ever really fit me, at least since I was a kid. A lot of the guys I ride with, the seat comes up near their shoulder height, and it is really up there in terms of getting on, but once I'm on it is just heavenly. Interestingly, the 907XL frame specs are extremely similar to my RIP. Hoooah!

Go big, my friend. The last place you want your nose to be on a snow bike is out over the front axle. That's my $0.02

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Stand over matters more if you are riding on snow.

Because all of that float is great but if you stop and our leg postholes, you'll appreciate additional stand over.

If you don't ride snow, I wiuldn't worry about it

aka bOb
    You might want to check out the Geo on the 2012 fatbacks that will be out in a few weeks.

Seat tubes are 73*. HT is 69*
    Effective tt for a 16" 23.25" SO 28"
    18" 24.2" SO 29"
    20" 25" SO 30.75"

Not sure if they have an Xl but the 20" has a longer ETT then the large Muk and more stand over.

100+ wheel-build club
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You might want to check out the Geo on the 2012 fatbacks that will be out in a few weeks.

Seat tubes are 73*. HT is 69*
    Effective tt for a 16" 23.25" SO 28"
    18" 24.2" SO 29"
    20" 25" SO 30.75"

Not sure if they have an Xl but the 20" has a longer ETT then the large Muk and more stand over.
    I have an XL USA alum. Fatback on order. 2 weeks. Tic-toc...

aka bOb
    I'm still hoping mine will be on the Fedex truck by the end of next week.

100+ wheel-build club
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I'm still hoping mine will be on the Fedex truck by the end of next week.
    I talked to Jeff @ Speedway just a few hours ago. He said (raw) frames are expected at the shop in one week! Then, of course they must be built, but soon my friend, soon!!!

mtbr member
    I ain't scared. XL all the way for me at 6'4".
    The LPG

mtbr member
    6'2"-6'3" depending on mood i ride XL all day long and love it.

mtbr member
    6'1 getting a 20" Fatback. It's not the biggest fatback but the ETT on the fatback is only 5mm shorter than the XL mukluk.

My other bike (the other one that matters anyway) is an XL as well but I do normally ride a 19/20. However this frame is missing 2cm on the seat post from a traditional 19, which screws me. Unless I use a Thomson Elite 410, then I have millimeters to spare. I am going to test a Large soon because I just feel stretched out when I'm fatigued and the seated climbing on the XL isn't good.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gregclimbs View Post
    Stand over matters more if you are riding on snow.

Because all of that float is great but if you stop and our leg postholes, you'll appreciate additional stand over.

If you don't ride snow, I wiuldn't worry about it
    But if you post-hole in 10-15" how much difference does a 1-2" lower standover really make?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

@adelorenzo
    I'm 6-6 riding an XL Pugsley with the original geometry, before they added slope to the top tube. A few thoughts:

Standover: I don't have much, but it has never been an issue. Anytime you wash out or lose it you step out to the side of the bike and lean it over, it just happens naturally. The only way I could see landing on the top tube is if I slipped off both pedals at once or something weird. My 5-9 wife has borrowed my bike from time to time and she's never 'split the kitten' (her words, not mine). I don't think it is the issue people make it out to be.

Sizing: My XL fits BIG. Really big. It feels like a touring bike, which is great for a lot of winter trail riding. In twisty singletrack riding sometimes I wish I was on a smaller size, just to be able to move the bike around a little better. My 6'-plus friends who are doing a lot more in the way of drops, jumps on their Pugs have all sized down to larges or mediums for that reason.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    i am lokking at getting an 18"black ops pug

i am 6 foot tall but only have a 31 inside leg, i know i look like a chimpanzee

i have always riden smaller frames and my road bike is only a 54 and it fits great

stubbster

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    ...'split the kitten'...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I was torn between a medium and large Muk 3. I went with the medium - and it's fine. The seat tube length for the large would have been good for me, but when I sat on a large, the front end seemed like it towered over the front wheel - WAY up there. I guess that's the nature of the Muk front-end geometry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm 6'3" with a 36" ish inseam. Struggled with deciding between L and XL Mukluk yesterday. After a bunch of test riding I went with the L with lots of seastpost showing.

mtbr member
    Must feel like a kiddie bike at your size

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I can relate--I've been having a hard time deciding between the two. That said, if I can get comfortable with the reach, I'm going XL. The large just felt like I was trying to make it fit a little too hard. The large did feel more like a BMX bike. Of course, The XL was a Muk3, and the large was a Muk2.

mtbr member
    I didn't think the standover was such a big deal until I received a frame with more clearance this season. If your on a steep climb and spin out I'll take all the room I can get. If your a flat lander riding mostly snow mobile trails it probably isn't a big deal.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    6'3" riding a XL Mukluk. 34" inseam. Bike first perfectly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have fear of smaller frames.

I have to run a longer stem and seat is jammed all the way back to give me the cockpit that I知 comfortable with. Longer stem flexes more thus losing the precision steering. The bike does not respond quickly and I知 slamming my shoulders against trees on tight and fast turns. The longer seatpost flexes and is prone to bending. The clamping mechanism has snapped off the post twice and the post almost went up in my butt. The seatpost clamping mechanism was on the very front of the rails increasing the leverage making it prone to snapping. Also, I have few saddles that rails got bent from attaching the clamping mechanism on the very front of the rails too.

The smaller frame has smaller wheelbase giving you smaller stability triangle. It is easy to tip over or back when outside of the stability triangle. I知 easily thrown over when front wheel gets slightly stuck in something when going downhill fast. I have almost bashed my head into a rock. I have climbed up on a steep hill and the bike tips backward throwing my back on rocky trail.

No more, I知 sticking to larger frames!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mttklmhifi1 View Post
    I have fear of smaller frames.

I have to run a longer stem and seat is jammed all the way back to give me the cockpit that I知 comfortable with. Longer stem flexes more thus losing the precision steering. The bike does not respond quickly and I知 slamming my shoulders against trees on tight and fast turns. The longer seatpost flexes and is prone to bending. The clamping mechanism has snapped off the post twice and the post almost went up in my butt. The seatpost clamping mechanism was on the very front of the rails increasing the leverage making it prone to snapping. Also, I have few saddles that rails got bent from attaching the clamping mechanism on the very front of the rails too.

The smaller frame has smaller wheelbase giving you smaller stability triangle. It is easy to tip over or back when outside of the stability triangle. I知 easily thrown over when front wheel gets slightly stuck in something when going downhill fast. I have almost bashed my head into a rock. I have climbed up on a steep hill and the bike tips backward throwing my back on rocky trail.

No more, I知 sticking to larger frames!
    Steering precision with a fatbike? Stability triangle? Stem flexing? These are the last things that come up for me when I'm riding one.

As for your sizing/positioning, please post a pic of yourself. I'm having a hard time imagining how you're built, given the ergos comments above.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernbreed View Post
    Steering precision with a fatbike? Stability triangle? Stem flexing? These are the last things that come up for me when I'm riding one.

As for your sizing/positioning, please post a pic of yourself. I'm having a hard time imagining how you're built, given the ergos comments above.
    This is my experiences with smaller nonfat frames in past. I should have mentioned this at first. I brought my first fat bike few weeks ago. I'm between sizes and had trouble deciding. I'm a hair over 5 '10". I test rode a medium and a large for few hours and decided to stick with a large. It gives me the same TT as my current large Gary Fisher HIFI bike. I knew that I would have to change the stem and jam the seat all the way back on the medium 9:Zero:7 to give me the cockpit I'm comfortable with. Also, I thought about all the issues I had in the past with medinum sized mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Copy that. I can see those issues on a reg. mtn. bike, riding all-out in tight technical stuff.

mtbr member
    It seems people go small, i did. But it leaves me with a ton of XL fat bikes, i even still have XL Moonlanders still unclaimed, everything else is flying away.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ended up going big with the XL. With the seat on the large shifted back and the stem bumped to 120 I was still feeling a little tight, and the stock seat-post would have to go. It's a big bike--but all the Mukluks are pretty big. I would have liked a 20" I guess! But that will have to be down the road--for the money, it's hard to beat the Mukluk for entry into the Fatworld, especially if you can swing a deal. I live in the land of the giants (Mpls), in case I decide to sell in a year or two and size down or go to another maker. I dunno about the straight frame swap on these rigs--to another brand or something, but the build kit on the Muk2 is pretty awesome for the money.

Boy--that post was all over the place.

ejj

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    I ended up going big with the XL. With the seat on the large shifted back and the stem bumped to 120 I was still feeling a little tight, and the stock seat-post would have to go. It's a big bike--but all the Mukluks are pretty big. I would have liked a 20" I guess! But that will have to be down the road--for the money, it's hard to beat the Mukluk for entry into the Fatworld, especially if you can swing a deal. I live in the land of the giants (Mpls), in case I decide to sell in a year or two and size down or go to another maker. I dunno about the straight frame swap on these rigs--to another brand or something, but the build kit on the Muk2 is pretty awesome for the money.

Boy--that post was all over the place.

ejj
    Guess it was my futile attempt at being funny!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

... and if we just ... 36"pbh + setback seatpost comment

Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    It's interesting to read the common wisdom on the forum. Many people seem to subscribe to the "size down" with a snow/fat bike. But many manufacturers try to design more s.o. into these frames as well. But it seems that nobody buys an XL unless they are 6'5"+.

I've tried a few of the fat bikes, and I love 'em. I'm buying one soon--probably an XL mukluk with shorter stem--but maybe a large. The large feels a little small for me--I'd be on a 400mm seat post, possibly swept back. My 36" PBH with short torso makes it tricky. Just my thoughts.

Your results may vary.
    Just got a 907 (similar geo specs to the Muks) and I can relate to your 36" pbh with short torso dilemma. How are you doing with the XL? If you have not used one yet, the setback seatpost seems to fit long legs real nice (only 1 ride on one so far) and I wish I had got a setback years ago. Currently, I have my seat slammed all the way back on the rails plus the setback (25mm per Truvativ) and it makes an incredible difference in terms of overall bike feel and it feels like I can apply more force to the pedals although that may be just perception.

I fit on a L 907 but only have about 3/8 of an inch of seatpost above the min insert line and feel like I am perched on the bike. It may be too late now but you may want to leave your steerer tube uncut if you plan on going thru snow and other soft conditions. I have my stem set much higher than I would have expected before going for that first ride. These fat bikes are a blast regardless of the mfr, I don't know if I will ever ride my poor fitting Cannondale 29er ever again.!!
    Last edited by Team Honeybadger; 12-19-2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: measured seat post

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Just curious, do others find that the larger frame seems to

beg for longer handlebars??? Seems like most of the longer bars are DH oriented - current bars are Truvativ AK 710mm with a 25mm rise - feels good but I want MORE!! until I clip the tree...then I will go slink back to my "skinny" 710mm bars.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    My XL is hiding in the garage right now--won't be seen or ridden until the 25th. My kids/wife are "surprising me" for Xmas..