Favorite Winter/Fat Bike Ride Backpack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Favorite Winter/Fat Bike Ride Backpack?

this might be redundant (like you use the same pack?), but what are people liking for 2-3 hour fat rides in cold(ish) weather (below 20F)?

I dont need huge. enough for a small jacket, some tools and a tube and a hydration sleeve.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I use an old Camelbak Havoc when I take a pack. I like the heavy duty cordura and it came with a neoprene sleeve for my hydration tube to help keep it from freezing. Plenty of pockets and room for whatever I want to carry. Most of the time though I don't carry a pack. I use a cheap Ibera frame pack and seatpack. I have a much easier time regulating my body temp when I don't have a pack on my back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Don't have one (yet), but Ortlieb's pack's look interesting.
    View the AIRFLEX 11 at http://www.ortliebusa.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    For occasional use, I use whatever pack I have hanging around (I'm a ski patroller, so I have a few), but I really prefer frame packs. You can get them from huge to fairly small. The nice part is they can hold more weight than I would be comfortable carrying on my bike, and as a mountain bike patroller, I carry a lot of stuff.

mtbr member
    I took my camelback hawg, pulled out the bladder and bingo, good sized pack that holds a lot of stuff. For water I fill a Polar insulated bottle with hot-ish water and just stop to pull it out of the pack every now and then.

Bonus feature of camelback minus bladder- it's really, really light. even with the waterbottle and a spare fatbike tube it's lighter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    When it's below 20f I don't use a hydration pack at all because even if it is worn awkwardly under a jacket you have to keep blowing back to clear the tube so the exposed tube doesn't freeze solid. I always forget at least once and have no water for the rest of the ride. I have a large seat mounted container for tools n stuff and carry two thermoses filled with hot water. Even four hours into a long ride recently at low single digit temps the thermos worked well

mtbr member
    Backpacks are for backpackers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Favorite Winter/Fat Bike Ride Backpack?-seatbag.jpg  

Thingamejigger
    The wife has gotten me an Osprey Viper 9 for xmas. I have not tried it yet but fits great in the house. I will try it cross country skiing over xmas and then Biking in the New Year after I return home! :-D

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I use an Osprey Raptor 14. It has a neat little roll-out tool bag in a compartment in the bottom of the bag. Plenty of room for whatever I need to carry. I don't use the bladder in the winter, I use an Insulated Klean Kanteen bottle.

mtbr member
    just picked up the Acre Hauser, 10L tons of room inside and fully waterproof...

ACRE | Hydration Pack | HAUSER 10L
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have a hydration pack that I modified to run the insulated tubes under my arm and with an insulated back to keep my water from hardening.
    I keep my stuff in porcelain rocket bags on my bike.

mtbr member
    REI Flash 18. I have a couple and love them for riding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I like my Camelback Pitboss, it's intended for cold weather, so the hose is insulated and is enclosed in the strap and only exposed when you unzip the compartment in the strap that exposes it. I find a bigger pack is nice if it's winter for bulky winter clothes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I have been using Giegerrig's for two years. They are pressurized and they have insulated drink tubes available. I have three of them in various sizes.
    Hydration Packs with In-line water Filters and Pack Bladders by Geigerrig

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just take the hydro bladder out of my osprey pack, since I live in the city my u-lock goes in place of the hydro pack. I keep a couple emergency energy bars + chemical heat warmers in case of coldness.

mtbr member
    I typically use an old swiss army daybpack and it wirks well for shorter, dry rides. If it is actively raining or snowing, it only stays waterproof for a couple hours.
    I am considering the Haines pack by First Ascent. I have been pleased with the quality of their stuff....and it frequently goes on sale for 40 percent off. I like the puncture resistant material, as it is made for climbing and carrying tools.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

NMBP
    Wingnut Adventure pack, used year around. I do carry a lot in a Revelate frame bag and on a Phat Sherpa rear rack.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teton29er View Post
    x2...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Favorite Winter/Fat Bike Ride Backpack?-2013-12-09-18.33.34.jpg  

viva la v-brakes!
    +3

I keep my water in a Camelbak Razor, its a very old pack, but the important part is that it fits under my jacket. I know there are newer models that do the same. Hose stays under the jacket too, and I unzip to drink, then stick it back in. Never freezes this way.

All my gear goes in a frame bag. I usually have a lot more gear in the winter than I do in the summer since the tube is bigger, and I usually carry an extra windbreaker, hat, hand warmers, etc so the extra volume of the frame bag is a big aid.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

The Dog.
    I *hate* riding with a pack, but I recently fell in love with my new Osprey Stratos 24. It hugs your body much more effectively than any of their smaller hydration packs. Massively expandable and compressible. The airspeed back keeps vapor from accumulating on your back and eventually freezing. And the best part is that it is the perfect size to carry my pup to and from the trailhead.

Stratos 24 - Osprey Packs, Inc :2013: Official Site

Favorite Winter/Fat Bike Ride Backpack?-1530576_10151843036046795_1354512471_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    I *hate* riding with a pack, but I recently fell in love with my new Osprey Stratos 24. It hugs your body much more effectively than any of their smaller hydration packs. Massively expandable and compressible. The airspeed back keeps vapor from accumulating on your back and eventually freezing. And the best part is that it is the perfect size to carry my pup to and from the trailhead.

Stratos 24 - Osprey Packs, Inc :2013: Official Site

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1530576_10151843036046795_1354512471_n.jpg 
Views:	4727 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	857105
    Great use of a back pack. I only use a revelate frame bag while winter riding for comfort reasons.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Osprey

I like the Osprey line. I have a smaller Raptor for most of the year and a Talon 22 when I need to carry extra gear. I highly recommend the Talon 22 or slightly smaller...its a very versatile pack.

mtbr member
    I use the Osprey 33 it is the best!

mtbr member
    May 2012

Favorite Winter/Fat Bike Ride Backpack?

How long u gonna out riding in sub 20? I'd say a Full frame bag and put bottles inside

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by 98srx6 View Post
    I only use a revelate frame bag while winter riding for comfort reasons.
    There is no way that I would go riding with such a minimal amount of gear. It's my problem, not yours.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Teton29er View Post
    +1....There is no reason to put anything on your back.

Sandy Pants
    Feb 2011
    "Backpacks are for backpackers"…cute, but irrelevant for many of us who do have reasons to put stuff on our back. I have a frame bag, Revelate seat bag, stem bag, seat post bag and bar bags. Still find my Hydrapak Reyes small backpack very useful on longer rides. It has an insulated tube that, with blowing back after drinking and tucking the mouth piece in under my collar, never freezes..even in subzero temps. The bladder is in a compartment next my back, with separate compartments on the outside, sufficient for extra gloves, light shell/jacket, etc. It also has a light loop that gets my rear light up where cars can't miss seeing it. This backpack is small, light, very functional and stable on my back. I really don't like noticeable weight on my back when riding, and this pack serves me well.
    - the Lipid Licker rides again -