Fatty used at Ironman- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fatty used at Ironman

This showed up in my Facebook feed this morning:

This Guy Crushed Ironman Texas on a Fat Bike | Bicycling

Elitest thrill junkie
    I saw that a week ago or whatever. "Crushed" doesn't really seem like the appropriate word. "Finished" is more like it...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I saw that a week ago or whatever. "Crushed" doesn't really seem like the appropriate word. "Finished" is more like it...
    "Finished the bike leg mid pack...then got smoked on the run" is more like it
    Why waste an expensive entry fee?

mtbr member
    I'm all for challenges, but IMHO, stupid idea. Can you imagine what it takes out of you to complete 112 miles at a 15mph avg? No wonder the guy was burnt in the run. If he wanted a challenge, he should have entered an Xtera Ironman event instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It was a personal challenge for him, and he crushed it. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I've got to admire the guy.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    It was a personal challenge for him, and he crushed it. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I've got to admire the guy.
    Maybe it was or maybe it was also an attention thing? But you are right doesn't really matter what others think.

mtbr member
    You really don't know if you don't try it. He already has a good resume of races, why not try something different and see what happens? It's better than growing old and never doing it, thus thinking back "hmm I wonder how I would have done if I had used a fat bike?"

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    I crushed riding my fatbike to work and back today.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Cycologist
    If you read the article, he explains why he did it.

I thought I saw a fat-tire bike in the bike rack at Ironman Wisconsin. Of course, this got my mind spinning. I was looking for something different. I had finished nine out of nine Ironmans I'd entered and wanted an additional challenge.

My main goal was just to see if I could finish the swim and bike portions in the 10.5 hours allowed.

But this Ironman Texas on the fat tire bike was one of the highlights of my 35-year triathlon career. People were just so supportive and gracious. The web posts came in such great numbers it was hard to follow. It was very humbling. I came to wage a private trial with myself but it was also a lot of fun to be a spectacle.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

turtles make me hot
    That's badass. He needs to lose those stock tires and put some Big Fat Larrys on there inflated to 15 psi.

I FLY on the paved bike path like that.
    I like turtles