Fatty Fenders- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fatty Fenders

Single Speed Junkie

Fatty Fenders

It was a typical sunday ride, all be it a late start. The trails were starting to get a bit soft and without the standard eye protection (Thanks Oakley you greed bas***ds. Thats another thread) the mud and sand really started flying. Thats when I thought about getting some fenders. Figured that if I'm going to the trouble of getting some fenders might as well make sure they will fit the fat bike. If they fit the fat bike might as well make them composite. Since I'm fresh out of carbon and kevlar might as well find a replacement material that is lightweight and durable. Thankfully I have something in mind.

Now the only question is how far up off the tire should they sit? Also is there a way to make them user freindly for different frames?

No, that's not phonetic
    You thinking real, full coverage fenders or just some crud catchers? I just screwed a wider piece of plastic onto an Headland Backscratcher to increase the surface area and that was fine. And the same with a downtube mounted dealie.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Single Speed Junkie
    cheezy, thinking that the fenders would be lighter than a full coverage setup. However it would still be effective for off road usage. For the rear I would most likely start near the front der. and transition past 90 degrees on the tire. Don't know quite how far or if I would kick the fender out at that point yet. I'll figure that out when I build the molds. Front would be almost the same coverage at the rear , but thinking of leaving this a bit longer and trim the frint end as needed.

Found a photo online which is fairly close to what I was thinking. Only exceoption is that this one would cover the fatbike tread vs a skinny road tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatty Fenders-your%2520just%2520plain%2520crazy-%2520acid%2520trip.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    How about Woody's Pugsley fenders?

http://www.woodysfenders.com/store/i...products_id=45

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SDmfG
    Those are pretty cool.

With all the recent events around here and my background in aerospace and composites I think I would like to see what I could fabricate. Of course it would be easier to just buy them, but with a few weeks off my wife will be happy I have some project underway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Carbon fiber? It wouldn't be too challenging, especially if you make them flat like the Woody's ones.

Ologist
    Beautiful fenders but $215!?!

Ologist
    double

short timer
    Jul 2008

Planet Bike Fenders

I had an e-mail exchange a while ago with their marketing manager. They didn't feel there was enough of a market even though I promised them one sale
    They'll be sorry as dog $hit on a SPD .. in five years....

mtbr member
    my plan was to cut some choroplast and zip tie to the racks, seat tube, and down tube. i won't have racks for a while though, so, i might have to go commando for a while.

mtbr member

TrekJeff

TrekJeff on here makes custom fenders and I think he's already made a fatbike set. You might want to contact him

mtbr member
    There is nothing sexier than woodysfenders!

mtbr member
    a pair of cheapy alloy rear fenders with parcel shelf`s fitted front and back will keep the worst of the water off you,

i fitted these for that reason,they were £30 the pair here in the uk https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...c003185c003187
    these wiegh next to nothing being alloy and dont rattle.. a cheap fix
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just fitted some clip on fenders. Although, the Zefal bolt on but clip on style fenders seem to be pretty sturder. I'll try those next. I also riveted on my Surly mud flaps that are like 5" wide that I got at Frostbike. A downtube fender works well too.

mtbr member
    Well, its officially mud season here.

I've noticed that SKS now makes what seems to be a proper fat front fender, the Granddad. Anyone using this sucker?
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...2&category=698

They also make a Rear Grandmom, but the description on that claims coverage only up to 2.5" Lets hope an upgrade(fatgrade?) is coming soon.

Anyone heard of any other fender makers jumping on the bandwagon?

Industry types take note - Fatbike owners love to accessorize and we need fenders badly! PLEASE!
    Last edited by icecreamjay; 03-11-2011 at 12:39 PM.

bikeboatbrewski
    Using a crud catcher up front and a Zefal clamp on out back under my rack. Works pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bought some Srefas clip on fender off chain love for $14. But they look like a joke on the fat bike, and work about as well.

I'm thinking about getting a hold of this guy for a set of full coverage fenders. I ride the bike to work fairly often. Thankfully I don't have to look nice or be clean at work, because on the sloppy days I show up pretty speckled.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...244650712.html

mtbr member
    Love the machete!!

Quote Originally Posted by 9GUY9

]

Frt Range, CO
    I bought a SKS Grand DAD front fender. I just want to keep the mud/animal poop off my face, a shorty front fender works well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    There is a guy here in Minneapolis that makes them. I have seen them...not bad at all.
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...244650712.html

mtbr member

Fenders for Scottish Weather!

More info here.

mtbr member
    Thats a real nice looking setup. To be honest I'm just looking for a decent superwide rear clip-on to go along with a cheap set up like that SKS Granddad. Just something I can throw on quickly for maybe the 10% of rides when conditions are really wet. I've got a crudcatcher and rear rack currently as my fender system and its so so at best.

Scottyb, do you happen to know what zefal it is? How wide is it?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I just mounted up a pair of Grand D.A.D and M.O.M. They appear to be the same width, front and back. Will report back after tonight's wet commute home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB
    I just mounted up a pair of Grand D.A.D and M.O.M. They appear to be the same width, front and back. Will report back after tonight's wet commute home.
    How'd they fare? Do you think they'd be effective enough to keep my face and back dry on a muddy, sloppy trail(swamp?) ride.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    It hasn't warmed up enough yet here in Anchorage. The front seems to work better than the rear so far.

bikeboatbrewski
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay
    Scottyb, do you happen to know what zefal it is? How wide is it?
    Sorry I do not recall a name. I used part of the front fender to bridge from the seat post to the rack and the rear fender for duty aft of the rack. My rack has the shelf so that covers pretty well. The plastic fenders are just wide enough to stop 90% of the muck, still get a little splat.

mtbr member
    The widest off-the-shelf fenders are made by THE Industries for DH use. Used to be all the rage on the pro-DH circuit but have fallen out of favor somehwat. Lightweight Lexan or uber cheap plastic versions are still in production. They are wide (4+ inches), relatively cheap, fit most downtubes, seatposts and forks, and use minimalist mounting hardware. Used to be available in a huge color range but now in black, white or faux carbon only. Here's a link to the website and some pics below. http://www.the-industries.com/fenders.html
    Fatty Fenders-600-0-full-proline_rear_fender_black-13.jpg

Fatty Fenders-601-0-full-proline_shroud_black-13.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatty Fenders-599-0-full-proline_dh_fender_front_carbon-13.jpg  

Last edited by canardian; 03-13-2011 at 07:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice, I ordered up a rear THE pro series fender. Thanks Canardian. I'll report back when I get it and test it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB
    The front seems to work better than the rear so far.
    That's what I was guessing based on looks and what little I could read about them.

mtbr member
    Nice, I ordered up a rear THE pro series fender. Thanks Canardian. I'll report back when I get it and test it out.
    No problem.

The SKS GrandDad and GrandMom also look to be a good width, but I have never tried them. The latest version of the Crudcatcher from the UK is certainly one of the best designed downtube fenders, although a bit harder to find in the USA. And hey, we can't discount the homebrew frankenfenders that pop up on these forums - different strokes for different folks!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    That's what I was guessing based on looks and what little I could read about them.
    I would say the SKS Grand's are wide enough, but the rear isn't long enough. Hence, it being a 26er version. I still had some spray on my upper back. Not sure if I could make a stiff enough mud flap to extend it out another couple of inches, that might work OK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canardian
    And hey, we can't discount the homebrew frankenfenders that pop up on these forums - different strokes for different folks!
    Absolutely not, many of them appear far nicer and probably way beefier than most storebought, excepting the woodies of course, but I wouldn't call those storebought.

I use cheapy SKS' for my other bike and I like to be able to throw them on quick if its raining, then remove them for the next ride. So for the fattie I think I'm gonna try a THE in back and a GrandDad up front.

Jordy, what kind of fork are you using? The fatback fork steering tube has large diameter tubing at the bottom where the legs attach. I'm wondering if those "expansion plug" type fender connections will even work with it. Anyone ?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Jordy, what kind of fork are you using? The fatback fork steering tube has large diameter tubing at the bottom where the legs attach. I'm wondering if those "expansion plug" type fender connections will even work with it. Anyone ?
    I'm using the steel Fatback fork, your right, it does have a large opening on the bottom. For the SKS, the larger plug seemed to fit. Might add some friction tape to it for more grab.

mtbr member
    Jordy, what kind of fork are you using? The fatback fork steering tube has large diameter tubing at the bottom where the legs attach. I'm wondering if those "expansion plug" type fender connections will even work with it. Anyone ?[/QUOTE/]

A long bolt that puts the expander inside standard ID will work or alternately, use a long bolt and install a star-fangled nut the bottom of the fork (1 1/8" if above the larger diameter tube or perhaps a 1.5" version would fit nicely in the large ID tube???). You could also try putting an extra large rubber bumper between two fender washers to make your own expander. A third option is the Sinz or THE preload bolt that goes from top to bottom of seertube...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    zip tie to down tube

mtbr member
    A star fangled nut fits nicely in the bottom of a Pugsley fork.
    I used one to fit this mudguard

Bolted through to star fangled nut by epicyclo, on Flickr
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Lighten up.
    I'm interested, too. Where'd you grab 'em from, icecreamjay?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Commute to work this morning was great, ride home was a warm wet slushy one. Lots of puddles too. Fenders work pretty good, from the knees up is clean in the front, rear needs to be extended a few more inches to keep the back clean. Mod to come. You can see the rear isn't quite long enough, to bad SKS marketed these fat fenders for 26ers. Lower legs/boots/drivetrain, covered in frozen slush/muddy waters.

bikexor
    I had to get something going quick for these fenders as it snowed a little last night. I used a old license plate attached to the rear rack (Avenir XL). It helped to make a cardboard mock-up first to know where to drill, cut, and bend the plate. I rounded out the edges and corners so it wouldn't snag anything.

I used the rear of those cheap Serfas fenders for a seat tube fender. Just zip-tied to the frame and I drilled a hole for the chainstay brace bolt.

Front is covered by an SKS Mud X dirt board. Nice and wide and can be had for cheap. I used the front half of the other serfas fender to get some more of the front wheel.

I ordered another Mud X to replace the serfas on the seat tube since the mud x is wider. I don't know if it's going to fit in between the tire and I'm going to have drill something to let the derailleur cable to pass through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatty Fenders-pug_frnt.jpg  

Fatty Fenders-pug_rear.jpg  

Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I love the looks of the Woody's, but way too $pendy for my cheap a$$.
    I opted for a pair of Planet Bike Cascadia 29er fenders, a band saw and some 3" aluminum strips and rivets.

Taken before I added the "mud flaps"

Now they're finished

looking sexy
    here's the post with more info
    https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fa....html#poststop

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    derockus, you bring new meaning to the bumper sticker, "My other car is a bike." =)
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

Rednose/Greenback
    Good info on this thread too.

Yet another fender thread

bikexor
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    derockus, you bring new meaning to the bumper sticker, "My other car is a bike." =)
    Girl, puhleeze. This bike IS my car. I done sold my hunkajunk Subaru for it.

Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    I was using racks as mudguards, but I was looking of ways to lighten up the bike & came up with these today.
    Not the best pics, but I think they are cool

With a bit of modding, a rear guard with a front guard used as a lower extension.
    Moto X stylee

CycraGuard - As tough as the terrain you ride
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

fatty fenders

Thanks for all the imput. I believe my fatty fenders came out nicely. They are also modified planet bike cascadia 29" riveted to 1mm thick AW-6082-T6 front 680x75mm and rear 1220x70mm formed to R400 plus glossy black foil. I will have to see how long this lasts "corrosion-wise". Mud flap is the original one cut in half with worn out tyre in between.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatty Fenders-dscn4506_watermarked.jpg  

Fatty Fenders-dscn4507_watermarked.jpg  

Fatty Fenders-dscn4508_watermarked.jpg  

Fatty Fenders-dscn4510_watermarked.jpg  

Fatty Fenders-dscn4513_watermarked.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    finished last-minute. winter's coming...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatty Fenders-dscn1488_watermarked.jpg  

Dinner for wolves
    Great job, Marko. Tell us how how the do over time.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

mtbr member
    Euro plates work too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah Ostholstein!

I just got the Portland Design Works "Dave's Mud Shovel" which are designed for fatbikes. The front covers Bud just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatty Fenders-20121208_123035-1905980216.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Duggus showed me those fenders on his way home from the bike shop, I was impressed. So I got my self a pair.

Used them for the first time tonight and was happy with them, they dont have the coverage of a full fender, but they are nice and light and quick to install and take off. So they will be easy to throw on the bike for a sloppy ride and remove when not needed.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried those rear/beam racks that attach to the seat post?

I would have thought it would give you some light weight carrying ability and also some mudguard protection at the same time?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Installation problems with SKS Grand Dads on Salsa Mukluk

Any advice would be helpful here - what have any of you Mukluk owners done to get the crown plug to fit. The seemingly correct choice is too large and won't go in, and the next size down is way too small, and there is no way that it will expand wide enough to grip without breaking. Any cool custom fixes to this frustrating problem?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    All: Some good ideas here, I am looking for full-coverage fenders for Pugs winter commuting in slush. I am sort of leaning towards going to a metal shop for custom cut Stainless steel, but I will try attaching rollable children's sled 'Krazy Karpet' plastic sheeting to my front and rear racks first...it is out by my bike trailer, under 40cm of snow, so finding it will be fun!

Members who have read this thread: 4