Fatty bikes and alt bars- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Fatty bikes and alt bars

Do fat bikes lend themselves more to them then other types of mountain bikes? I tried my Jones loop bar on my SS karate monkey and wasn't overly thrilled by it. Wondering if since fatbikes handle a little differently (at least in my very brief experience so far) maybe they "work" better or maybe it's the type of terrain/riding fat bikes get used for.

"Buy the ticket. Take the ride." -Hunter S. Thompson
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." -Oscar Wilde
    "Single speeds should come in cans" -Me

MaxTheCyclist.com
    I tried my Jones Loop on my Pugsley and hated it. I don't know why, felt like steering a boat. When I put the Jones bars back on my Juice SS, I was happy and the fatbike feels better with a 750mm flat bar.

Trust me, I am all about that alt bar vibe, but I wasn't digging it. The big tire seems to want a lot of arm work to hold it back from self-steer over the odd off-camber root/rock/ice chunk and stuff. I prefer a flat bar for maximizing that upper body torque.

I used the Jones Loop on my Karate Monkey for a while, but never SS. I liked it on the KM, I loooove it on my Juice.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

since 4/10/2009
    I'm one of a couple folks locally riding Answer 20/20 bars on fatbikes.

I feel that it's a comfortable angle for the grips, and doesn't muck up the handling of the bike.

I took a Kona out for a demo ride a couple of years ago, and that bike had what felt like cruiser bars on it. I felt like I was trying to steer a tractor.

turtles make me hot
    I put Jones Loops on my fatty. I like em. Took a few rides to get used to them. I was having pain issues related to a past injury. Loops fixed it.
    I like turtles

dying hurts.
    I'm running the surly cheater bar on my pugs. love it. took the jones loop bar on a 14 mile
    ride today and it sucked. thumbs were cramped for a couple hours after the ride and I kept feeling like I needed to scoot back on my saddle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I put Jones Loops on my fatty. I like em. Took a few rides to get used to them. I was having pain issues related to a past injury. Loops fixed it.
    X2 Love it!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by scot_douglas View Post
    X2 Love it!

I haven't taped mine up yet. Gotta do it. It looks "burlier".
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mary on mine is perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I like the flat bar feel but I love my Soma Clarence Bar on my Muk. They have some rise, so I slammed the stem and it is comfy standing or sitting.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    Do fat bikes lend themselves more to them then other types of mountain bikes? I tried my Jones loop bar on my SS karate monkey and wasn't overly thrilled by it. Wondering if since fatbikes handle a little differently (at least in my very brief experience so far) maybe they "work" better or maybe it's the type of terrain/riding fat bikes get used for.
    I don't think there is anything unique about the relationship between 'alt' bars and fat bikes - they're still just bikes and they're still just handlebars. Some combinations of the two work better than others, and some people like them more than others, but I don't think the size of the tire really has anything to do with it. However, you may also find that when switching to an 'alt' bar, you may have to change a few other things as well, like stem length, in order to get the most out of it. Or maybe not.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

Candlestick Maker
    I ride an Answer 20/20 on my fat bike and like it. Then again, I ride an alt bar of some type on all of my bikes :-)
    baker

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy View Post
    I'm running the surly cheater bar on my pugs. love it. took the jones loop bar on a 14 mile
    ride today and it sucked. thumbs were cramped for a couple hours after the ride and I kept feeling like I needed to scoot back on my saddle.
    What do your cheater bars look like? Very curious, have never seen them on a bike so would love if you've maybe got a picture you can share? Didn't see it on your pedalroom link, also those are some seriously amazing bikes you've got..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I ride an Answer 20/20 on my fat bike and like it. Then again, I ride an alt bar of some type on all of my bikes :-)
    I have the Jones Bend 710mm on my fat bike. I just ordered 20/20's for my squishy bike and my semi-fat bike. big fan of alt bars too.

mtbr member
    I have the 710 Loop on my Moonlander and it works great for me.

I think it really comes down to your size, what your riding, your style of riding, size of your rig and how you are using your rig. I live on my bike, so it is packed down more often than not and tugging a BOB. I would not want to switch back.
    De oppresso liber

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm going through the same thing. I feel in dirt, the fatty pulls left or right and so a straight bar feels better. When it comes to the snow I'm thinking my Answer 20/20 bar will feel fine. I'm bouncing between the 2 bars trying to figure out which way to go. I just don't like the way a regular bar feels on my wrists

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I have the Jones Bend 710mm on my fat bike. I just ordered 20/20's for my squishy bike and my semi-fat bike. big fan of alt bars too.
    Capt'n, from whom did you order the Answer 20/20 bar? I have one on my Fatboy and like it so much that I'd like to buy one as a backup. Everywhere that I look says they're "out of stock."

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FitmanNJ View Post
    Capt'n, from whom did you order the Answer 20/20 bar? I have one on my Fatboy and like it so much that I'd like to buy one as a backup. Everywhere that I look says they're "out of stock."

Thanks!
    There are a couple on ebay right now.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have the 710 Loop on the front of my Pugsley tandem, and it works, but it doesn't offer any real advantage over some of the new, wider enduro bars. The center section is too narrow to give me the control I need, and the awkward curve just doesn't feel right. The outer loop is too far away to use if I have the stem set up so the bar ends aren't too close. I keep wondering if I shorten the bar ends and use a shorter stem if it will fit me better, but I hate to cut it.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    There are a couple on ebay right now.
    Many thanks!

Perpetual n00b
    I used Mary bars on my old Mukluk about 4 years ago. It was fine for just tooling around on flat wide trails, paths, or roads. It wasn't good for climbing or descending any kind of technical terrain. My Moonlander has the 750mm Salt Flat bar and it's all good.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

Ambassador of Chub
    The Salsa Bend 2 is intriguing, with a moderate amount of sweep (17 or 23) but not too much. I may have to try one at some point.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

beer thief
    Another happy 20/20 user here. Dirt or snow, the sweep is just right for me. I have used Mary bars and Jones ti H-bar but the Answer was the answer.

I really should put that Jones bar up in the trader thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FitmanNJ View Post

Thanks!
    I ordered mine from Niagara Cycle, but they appear to be out of stock there now too. I have been searching from them for a while, so I order two when I saw them. I found Niagara through Amazon. It looks like Amazon has them available through another seller. http://www.amazon.com/Answer-ProTAPE...rotaper+enduro

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have had bad luck with Niagara lately, so much that I will never do business with them again. Their communications regarding back orders and missed delivery dates are abysmal.

Ambassador of Chub
    As luck would have it, I dropped by my LBS today, and they happened to have a Salsa Bend 2 in stock (23 - 710mm), so I was able to actually grip it and see how I liked it. Perfect middle ground between the Jones and the 9 RF bar that I've been running, and pretty much the same as the Answer 20/20. So of course it went home with me. Group ride tonight so I'll be able to give it a workout and see where this new relationship goes...

Comparison with Jones 710:

And on the bike:

turtles make me hot
    Very nice. I'm going to grab a set of those for my fully.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I ordered mine from Niagara Cycle, but they appear to be out of stock there now too. I have been searching from them for a while, so I order two when I saw them. I found Niagara through Amazon. It looks like Amazon has them available through another seller. http://www.amazon.com/Answer-ProTAPE...rotaper+enduro
    Thanks, Captain. For those who've been looking at the Salsa Bend 2 bars, they're similar in shape to an Answer 20/20, but they are only available in aluminum, if I'm not mistaken. I bought the 20/20 because I like the backsweep, and the carbon is said to help a little bit more with vibration-related numbness. If numbness isn't an issue, though, the Salsa bars have a similar backsweep and quite a bit lower price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    On One OG carbon in use here having bit different shape than Answer 20/20 mentioned earlier. Using it inverted upsidedown as that way get better angles for my wrists as believe that the most natural position is the best for you. Really comfy and nice this way.

Used similar one in my previous 29er and saw no reason to change, so the new frame was actually panned for this with the stem I liked to use

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

ATV Bars

Fatty bikes and alt bars-20151109_140819.jpgFatty bikes and alt bars-20151109_141447.jpg

ATV bars, 24 degree sweep, 4 inch rise, 31 inches wide... love em!

sluice box
    20/20
    Fatty bikes and alt bars-20160118_154546.jpg
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    tried jones bars and while i like the comfort it gives, i seem to have a harder time adjusting to it for technical rides. i like it for epic touring rides, but im going back to a riser bar for technical stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That was my same experience on my 29er. It was nice but once things got steep and techy I was not confident at all.

turtles make me hot
    Haha... My first couple of rides with my Jones Loops were amusing to say the least. I wound up in the woods a couple of times. It's all good now.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Keep in mind it takes a while to adapt to an Alt bar. It will not feel perfect the first time out. The rotation angle of the bar in the stem also makes a big difference in the feel. It is usually recommended to point them down toward the rear hub a bit, not flat.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Keep in mind it takes a while to adapt to an Alt bar. It will not feel perfect the first time out. The rotation angle of the bar in the stem also makes a big difference in the feel. It is usually recommended to point them down toward the rear hub a bit, not flat.
    That's exactly what I found. They're very comfortable pointed down a little.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It's not that I didn't find it comfortable I just didn't like how it affected the handling when descending steeper technical stuff.

Human Test Subject
    answer 760s (2 cm bar extenders that I happened to have)
    Fatty bikes and alt bars-20151229_123310.jpg

I kinda wish they had more sweep but it's a huge jump from 20 degrees to 45 for the Jones.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    My boy loves his bar. Technically its an old 3 speed bar, but he calls it a trekking bar. He is only 7 though....

I did notice that he likes the had posisition better and he doesn't complain about sore hands after a longer ride.

turtles make me hot
    I just bought the Salsa bars for my 11 year old. He saw my Loops and liked em. Should have them tomorrow.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Woodchippen' with my badass beach bomber. 'Cause wind.

Fatty bikes and alt bars-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm a little late to this party but I'm running Jones 710 h-bars which I really like. I have work related issues in my wrists and these really help. Unfornutately, I also have a thumb issue that seems to be somewhat aggravated by these. Sucks to be old! I as tempted to try the Salsa bend 2 as it seems somewhat middle of the road. The Answer 20/20s look nice but I'm not into carbon bars!