mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Fattie as the daily companion

As I am new here, at first I wanted to say Hello to the community

So..Hello

First of all, I donīt own a Fattie yet, but I am pretty much flirting with that Idea of getting one.

Here some questions for all of you who own one already (to help me a bit ):

1. Is it fun to ride a fattie?

2. Is it a big difference to a plus sized-tire bike? (27,5"+)

3. Can I use it as a daily bike? Means, not only in forrests, hills and for climing up, but also for general Aphalt riding, short road trips etc..

4. Is it worth to buy a Fattiie e-bike?

I am looking forward to a fruitfull discussion

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    No.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    1 : Yes , but demo as many as you can before you buy.

2 : Yes , but it depends more or less on what tire AND wheel combo you compare 27.5+ to (26x4.8 on 100MM's , 27.5x4 on 80MM's and so on).

3 : Damn right you can! I certainly use mine as an all purpose bike.

4 : Totally depends on you.
    Saying that you "hate" or are an "unapologetic critic" of a bike company doesn't make you insightful or interesting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yes, fat bikes are fun even just doing urban rides. I could get rid of all my other bikes and just have my fat bike.

I ride a Surly Wednesday, which you can order at almost any bike store.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    My Fatboy with 26x4 and 29x2.8 wheel sets is my only bike. When I lose 32 more pounds I plan to treat myself to either a Cinelli Zydeco or a Niner RLT gravel bike...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    yes, fat bikes are fun even just doing urban rides. I could get rid of all my other bikes and just have my fat bike.

I ride a Surly Wednesday, which you can order at almost any bike store.

Thanks for the advice, well thatís kind of what I am looking for - to make it my only bike hopefully it will end up good

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hi, may I ask, what is your current weight and your bike model? I am a bit oversized so trying to find a bike that fits

edit- was question to hops

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I started at 390 lbs. on April 15 and am currently 326 lbs. I am 6'2" with a 30" inseam and ride 100 miles per Strava week...I take one day per week off the bike but ride about 75 minutes the other 6. If we were close (I am in MA) I would meet you and have you take her for a spin. Bike is a 2018 Specialized Fatboy base size L in black (her name is Blair, as in the Blair Witch). Happy to answer any questions you have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Hops143 View Post
    I started at 390 lbs. on April 15 and am currently 326 lbs. I am 6'2" with a 30" inseam and ride 100 miles per Strava week...I take one day per week off the bike but ride about 75 minutes the other 6. If we were close (I am in MA) I would meet you and have you take her for a spin. Bike is a 2018 Specialized Fatboy base size L in black (her name is Blair, as in the Blair Witch). Happy to answer any questions you have.
    Congrats man for getting down with your weight!! Question to the bike: do you have some issues with it? Because I think the "official max. Load is less then 300 pounds" or am I wrong?

Well I am 242 pounds, and have some fears that the bike will break under me ...

BTW..I am located in Germany

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Toll! Meine Mutter war in Frankfurt geboren. I tighten my crank arm bolt more than I would like to, and will eventually upgrade my Sram Level-Ts to XT brakes, but at 242 lbs. you won't even deform 4.6" tires. The weight limit on bikes includes a large safety factor. Look at photos of guys dropping 2m and landing flat - they generate far more force on the welds than a smooth-riding Clydesdale on the road/smooth trail/gravel. I have just under 2,000 miles on it Since July 1 and no broken parts or pieces (including the carbon fork) that I would consider "non-wear" items. Spokes don't break, hubs are fine, headset and BB are still perfect...242 lbs. is nothing. Do Germans call them fat bike or fettfahrradder?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Toll! Meine Mutter war in Frankfurt geboren. I tighten my crank arm bolt more than I would like to, and will eventually upgrade my Sram Level-Ts to XT brakes, but at 242 lbs. you won't even deform 4.6" tires. The weight limit on bikes includes a large safety factor. Look at photos of guys dropping 2m and landing flat - they generate far more force on the welds than a smooth-riding Clydesdale on the road/smooth trail/gravel. I have just under 2,000 miles on it Since July 1 and no broken parts or pieces (including the carbon fork) that I would consider "non-wear" items. Spokes don't break, hubs are fine, headset and BB are still perfect...242 lbs. is nothing. Do Germans call them fat bike or fettfahrradder?

It is still a Fatbike in Germany , well so that opens up new doors for me, I thought I can not go over the limit... as we have here in GER mostly bikes with spec. Max. Load to 100-120kg (including bike weight)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    You guys just need to learn to color outside the lines sometimes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Those of you who use your fatty as an everyday bike, beer runs, etc. do you adjust the tire pressure every trip based on the terrain? Iím new to fat biking also. I took mine on a quick 3 mile, paved road ride the other day, but the pressure was set around 12, from a previous ride and I was surprised how much of a workout it was. For cruising around town what psi do you like, or does it even matter to you? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Some people fiddle with the pressures all the time. If you're going really soft surface to hard surface it makes more sense to be on top of it. There's nothing wrong with that. Personally I don't care that much to bother on my day to day rides. Slower, more tread wear? Possibly.

mtbr member
    I just recently switched to 100% fatty and I ride in area with zero snow. Loving every minute of it and I get tons of comments on it. Most usual, "Wow look at those tires!", lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I started at 390 lbs. on April 15 and am currently 326 lbs. I am 6'2" with a 30" inseam and ride 100 miles per Strava week..
    Strong work!

Fat for the grins makes fittness or burning the calories more fun
    Last edited by J_Westy; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:12 PM.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    I just recently switched to 100% fatty and I ride in area with zero snow. Loving every minute of it and I get tons of comments on it. Most usual, "Wow look at those tires!", lol
    Which model did you switch to?

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My Fatboy with 26x4 and 29x2.8 wheel sets is my only bike. When I lose 32 more pounds I plan to treat myself to either a Cinelli Zydeco or a Niner RLT gravel bike...
    Hey Hops!

I have a Framed Minnesota that I have ridden for about 4.5 years. About a year ago, I bought myself a Cinelli Zydeco so I could go faster on the pavement and the gravel. Go for it, you will love it. I have heard the Niner gravel bikes are sweet too. I still love riding fat too!

Take care,
    Mike <><

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikinki View Post
    Which model did you switch to?
    2017 Trek Farley Ex 8. Running mostly stock with just some minor upgrades at this point. Really loving the bike on the local trails. I'm not going to win any races, unless at the finish line they add up how long you smiled on the ride as the winning component

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikinki View Post
    As I am new here, at first I wanted to say Hello to the community

So..Hello

First of all, I donīt own a Fattie yet, but I am pretty much flirting with that Idea of getting one.

Here some questions for all of you who own one already (to help me a bit ):

1. Is it fun to ride a fattie?

2. Is it a big difference to a plus sized-tire bike? (27,5"+)

3. Can I use it as a daily bike? Means, not only in forrests, hills and for climing up, but also for general Aphalt riding, short road trips etc..

4. Is it worth to buy a Fattiie e-bike?

I am looking forward to a fruitfull discussion
    1. yes it's a bicycle.
    2. yes noticeably different.
    3. yes it's a bicycle. Pick your tires according to your riding priorities.
    4. no you don't need a motorcycle.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MPE View Post
    Hey Hops!

I have a Framed Minnesota that I have ridden for about 4.5 years. About a year ago, I bought myself a Cinelli Zydeco so I could go faster on the pavement and the gravel. Go for it, you will love it. I have heard the Niner gravel bikes are sweet too. I still love riding fat too!

Take care,
    Mike <><
    Thanks for letting me now that! I hadn't heard any firsthand opinions on that bike. Also quite taken with the Santa Cruz Stigmata!

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I am back to all fat all the time.
    Except for my single speed ,sparkly green Krampus, which is almost fat!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you can't find a puppy or a baby to borrow to go to the park to hit on chicks with, fatbikes work just as well. 'Nuff said.

Professional Crastinator
    Try to get tires that are suitable for your purpose. You wouldn't want to scrub a $100+ snow tire on pavement all day.

But yes, fatbikes are always fun. And, to me, it was not a big difference from plus tires until the terrain demanded fat. Then it was a HUGE difference - in a good way. Tire pressure needs to match your terrain, though: hard ground requires hard(er) tires; soft ground = soft tires. If you do that, it will be fun.

As far as an efatbike, I would not want to be limited in where I could ride it, so I'd say "no".

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    1.Yes
    2.Yes
    3.Yes
    4.No

Stay Fat and donít go back.
    My advice is to get a 26x3.5 slick tire set for pavement. You will not believe how faster you can ride. Tire wear will be minimal and you will not wear out your knobby tires. Keep the knobby tires for everything else that it is not pavement. Took me three sets of knobby tires to realize this, once the middle knobs start to wear out the tire will start pulling to the sides when turning and you pretty much have to replace the tires.
    I'm boss and I know it